XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

I'm at the end of my rope with this new 12 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I have been on the new XJ forum since the beginning and there have been very few engine issues reported. I am very pleased with mine, so much so that I have ordered a 2013 XKR for my wife. If a problem does develop, I have every confidence that Jaguar will take care of it. Stuff happens--I had a Maserati QP once that developed a camshaft problem and it had to be in the shop for 2 months, but it was fine when I got it back. Yes, it's frustrating, but you can't just assume that the problem is epidemic and start threatening legal action. That's why there's a warranty and Jaguar has a darn good one.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:13 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Hou Tex

Thanks for confirming this as I knew I read of others. The folks who are ignoring the issue without notifying Jaguar are doing a disservice to themselves and others as Jaguar needs to know the real extent of this issue so they can identify the vin range and get appropriate corrective measures in place.

I'm sure your wife's 2013 XKR will be great, no doubt Jaguar by then will know the affected range of heads and extent of the issue etc and that's why I was willing to allow a collateral exchange trying another one but I'm waiting to see if that will happen since Jaguar only offered to buy out my lease. If they do extend a collateral exchange then as I've always said, I'd give them another shot. Congratulations on the new car!

Rouseslane,

My car is a vert. The figure the dealer quoted was a $25,000.00 loss to Jaguar if they were to get me out of my car and this was quoted before they actually offered to do it, so it could have been a negotiating tactic? The pay off on my lease is $96k and change; MSRP was just over $110k.

Last edited by RJC; 05-12-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMCP
ice, have you driven one / sat in one yet? I'm 6' 1" and feel like I'm pretty close to being about as tall as you'd want to be for an XK. Obviously everybody is built differently, and everyone has their "ideal" seating position but I figured it would be worth mentioning.

As for the reliability thing, I went searching a while back and found the same thing aahmichael did. Searching for "misfire" in the relevant XJ / XK forums, you can read everything there is to know in about 5 minutes. RJC's car obviously had some issues, but stating that certain VIN ranges suffer from a condition that requires a cylinder head replacement seems like wild speculation, based upon what I've read.
No problem with your suggestion. You didn't know I don't dig verts. I'm one of the very few that think ragtops are unattractive compared to hard tops. I think they ruin the sleekness of the sport coupe. There are other reasons I'm not fond of rags but enough said.

On another note...back to the GTR. Today I saw one at the Cars and Coffee meet at Ferrari of Ft Laud. That thing was sweet. The owner had the interior carbon fiber'd out. It was very cool. The exterior was veru similar to what I would do, 21 inch wheels with chrome lips and charcoal centers, lowered, custom spoiler and body kit....it was a head turner. It stood out among all the Ferrari. I think my mind is wandering.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
I have been on the new XJ forum since the beginning and there have been very few engine issues reported. ...snip... Yes, it's frustrating, but you can't just assume that the problem is epidemic and start threatening legal action. That's why there's a warranty and Jaguar has a darn good one.
Originally Posted by RJC
Hou Tex

Thanks for confirming this as I knew I read of others. The folks who are ignoring the issue without notifying Jaguar are doing a disservice to themselves and others as Jaguar needs to know the real extent of this issue so they can identify the vin range and get appropriate corrective measures in place.
This thread is taking on a certain twilight-zone quality...

Old 05-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMCP
This thread is taking on a certain twilight-zone quality...
It desperately needs to be put out of its misery

Old 05-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must be strong pain killers

Old 05-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RJC,
Sorry to read of your troubles. I have only been in my XJ for a few weeks, but thankfully don't have the cold start misfire issue in the Supercharged engine. My dealer has been very accomodating in general, sending me home in vehicles for the weekend prior to purchase. Like you, I have been through a number of vehicles over the years, although fewer than you as I am "only" 39. I simply love cars too!
Anyhow, what also caught my attention is your back pain issue. I am a medical provider who has placed lumbar ESIs in the past. While it is no longer a part of my regular practice, I would say that steroid injections are rarely a long-term cure. I also agree that backs tend to never be the same again once operated upon. Back pain is a serious bugaboo. Old, repetitive sports injuries have left me prone to occasional back issues myself.

As to cars...have you considered an Audi R8 vert? A little pricey, but top-notch fun. The new BMW 650 vert has some good incentives as well and is a decent GT.

Best of luck with your pain and I hope you find some relief.

Regards,
PMMD

Old 05-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Nah, I think RJC is really tring to see how many thread replies the jaguarforums.com web server can handle.

Mike

Old 05-12-2012, 08:40 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Stop replying to it!

Old 05-12-2012, 08:45 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by pmichaelmd
RJC,
Sorry to read of your troubles. I have only been in my XJ for a few weeks, but thankfully don't have the cold start misfire issue in the Supercharged engine. My dealer has been very accomodating in general, sending me home in vehicles for the weekend prior to purchase. Like you, I have been through a number of vehicles over the years, although fewer than you as I am "only" 39. I simply love cars too!
Anyhow, what also caught my attention is your back pain issue. I am a medical provider who has placed lumbar ESIs in the past. While it is no longer a part of my regular practice, I would say that steroid injections are rarely a long-term cure. I also agree that backs tend to never be the same again once operated upon. Back pain is a serious bugaboo. Old, repetitive sports injuries have left me prone to occasional back issues myself.

As to cars...have you considered an Audi R8 vert? A little pricey, but top-notch fun. The new BMW 650 vert has some good incentives as well and is a decent GT.

Best of luck with your pain and I hope you find some relief.

Regards,
PMMD
Thanks for the reply,

Glad you moved on/away from ESI's.

I really need a car with true cooled seats (due to the arachnoidits I got from the ESI insult) and it was one of the things that brought me to the XKR; I'm also not a big fan of sedans.

My dealership's service dept has been great too.

I looked at the 6 series convt before I got the Jag but it just didn't do anything for me. The new SL would be great but it only has vented seats which do not get cold, so a custom mod will be needed.

Thanks for the well wishes, very much appreciated

Last edited by RJC; 05-12-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:50 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by mjsammon
Nah, I think RJC is really tring to see how many thread replies the jaguarforums.com web server can handle.

Mike
Hey Mike.

It's actually how many pages it will go before Bruce's internal server stops functioning (j/k) still luv ya Bruce!

On another note the new Portfolio loaner I was given has been a delight, rock solid, smooth idle, no rattles, loving the cooled seats again and almost no brake dust after 3 days of use! I guess the new XF uses different/cleaner pads and the car stops quite well. No I dont want an XF thank you lol...

Last edited by RJC; 05-12-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:20 PM

Just wanted RJC to see this hot looking SL

2013 SL 550 | Vossen CV3s

Old 05-15-2012, 06:34 PM
RJC

Don't know if I'm feeling those rims but thank you for thinking of me ICE! So glad we don't have to put those giant euro front plates on the front of our cars here.

Well my XKR was officially paid off today at Chase. My SL is due at the port Thursday and should be here by the middle to end of next week if all goes well.

Appears someone else on the XJ board may be having a similar issue to mine, misfires...hoping his will be something minor.

Last edited by RJC; 05-15-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RJC
Don't know if I'm feeling those rims but thank you for thinking of me ICE! So glad we don't have to put those giant euro front plates on the front of our cars here.

Well my XKR was officially paid off today at Chase. My SL is due at the port Thursday and should be here by the middle to end of next week if all goes well.

Appears someone else on the XJ board may be having a similar issue to mine, misfires...hoping his will be something minor.
Congrats! I can't wait to read your assessment of the SL vs XKR performance. Still think you should drive an R8, just for kicks.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:50 PM
RJC

Thanks so much

I'll never be able to get in and out of the R8 with my spine injury the SL is about as sporty/low as I can go and it's not easy. I'm still going to have to retro fit coolers for the seats to help one of my many painful areas (the burning in the back of my legs) with cold to ease the pain; arachnoiditis is just terrible.

I just read the new SL's performance stats and they are outstanding 0-60 4.4, quarter mile 12.5 @ 113.2 mph, skid pad 0.94g's, slalom 66.7 mph, braking 60-0 114 ft. I'll never use the car to its potential but it's nice to know is performs so well.

Last edited by RJC; 05-15-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by RJC

Not into wheels...or just those wheels?
I love 5 spoke wheels most because of the spoke action when the car is rolling. It draws the eye.
I wouldn't buy this particular wheel because I prefer lips but it is very popular right now. Lots of Benz enthusiasts are mounting them.

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

not been here in a while, but this SUX RJC.....
glad you're coming back to the BENZ.........SL sounds great!!

see you on the other one

Old 05-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC
Don't know if I'm feeling those rims but thank you for thinking of me ICE!

Not feeling them either. Mercedes generally gets the wheel design right on their cars. Haven't seen any beyond Brabus that made a visual improvement to me.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:09 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by ice350
Not into wheels...or just those wheels?
I love 5 spoke wheels most because of the spoke action when the car is rolling. It draws the eye.
I wouldn't buy this particular wheel because I prefer lips but it is very popular right now. Lots of Benz enthusiasts are mounting them.

Different strokes for different folks.
Just those ICE, although they are eye catchers for sure! I too love 5 spokes and ordered the 5 spoke AMG 19's which are a new design for 13 and part of the sport appearance package which consists of a killer sport steering wheel, cross drilled brakes and the AMG rims.

Here's a pic; can someone resize for me please?

Attached Thumbnails I'm at the end of my rope with this new 12 XKR-2013-sl-class-sl550-coupe-024_cf.jpg  
Old 05-16-2012, 12:11 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol

Not feeling them either. Mercedes generally gets the wheel design right on their cars. Haven't seen any beyond Brabus that made a visual improvement to me.
How about the new 19" AMG's I posted above?

Quick Reply: I'm at the end of my rope with this new 12 XKR