XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Iphone 6 no longer plays music

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

Final Update! Success at last! Using file converter dBpoweramp I converted all my MP4 files to MP3 files right on the flash drive. It took about an hour for around 200 songs. I still have the shuffle option, name of song, and track number on my car screen which is all I need. I also find that I can pump the music up louder than with either the CDs or the radio. I just wanted to ask one last question......Can I keep the flash drive inserted into the USB when I lock up and leave the car? I don't want any additional issues.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Final Update! Success at last! Using file converter dBpoweramp I converted all my MP4 files to MP3 files right on the flash drive. It took about an hour for around 200 songs. I still have the shuffle option, name of song, and track number on my car screen which is all I need. I also find that I can pump the music up louder than with either the CDs or the radio. I just wanted to ask one last question......Can I keep the flash drive inserted into the USB when I lock up and leave the car? I don't want any additional issues.
Yes, leave the micro drive, thumb drive, flash drive or whatever you want to call it, in the console "docked". I also leave my radio switched to "on" all the time. This means when I turn off the cars engine off, the radio switch is "on".

Otherwise, if you turn "off" the radio, you may have to remove the flash drive and sync or dock the music back into the system again. With only 200 to 400 songs the docking is quite fast. More than that, docking takes awhile.

Glad you took the advice to use the flash drive.

Best way to go in my opinion, which may not be worth very much.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Yes, leave the micro drive, thumb drive, flash drive or whatever you want to call it, in the console "docked". I also leave my radio switched to "on" all the time. This means when I turn off the cars engine off, the radio switch is "on".

Otherwise, if you turn "off" the radio, you may have to remove the flash drive and sync or dock the music back into the system again. With only 200 to 400 songs the docking is quite fast. More than that, docking takes awhile.

Glad you took the advice to use the flash drive.

Best way to go in my opinion, which may not be worth very much.

Don't under estimate yourself! Great advice as always. All's well that ends well. The funny thing is that I don't really listen to music all that often as I like to hear the exhaust....Go figure.

The following users liked this post:
richzak (11-03-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fingers crossed that I don't run into the same issue with my 2010 XKR when my iPhone 6+ arrives later this week. The thumbdrive option is not a viable workaround for me, since I'm most often playing music streamed from Spotify, homemade music from SoundCloud, or podcasts -- and it's best to get these straight from the phone.

Has anyone had luck with latest iOS on a 2010 XK(R)?

Old 11-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by edessey
Fingers crossed that I don't run into the same issue with my 2010 XKR when my iPhone 6+ arrives later this week. The thumbdrive option is not a viable workaround for me, since I'm most often playing music streamed from Spotify, homemade music from SoundCloud, or podcasts -- and it's best to get these straight from the phone.

There is one way around this and other issues with the iphone 6/6+ If your phone does not come with the latest IOS 8.1 and they prompt you to download it.......you have the option not to! My phone was working great before the download. Check your operating version when you get your phone and of course try listening to your music from your phone before any downloads. Good luck.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:49 AM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by edessey

Not exactly the same, but I'll be pairing my iPhone 6 with a 2012 XKR-S tonight; I also use Spotify. I prefer Pandora, but that didn't work with my previous phone, neither by cable nor Bluetooth.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Rich

Old 11-07-2014, 10:58 AM

Amazingly, I am reporting back on-time and as-promised re: iPhone 6 Bluetooth pairing with my 2012. In short: very successful.

Equipment: 2012 XKR-S, iPhone 6, Verizon (CDMA)
Software: iOS 8.1, updated Spotify and Pandora One
Bluetooth: Tune2Air WMA1000 via Jaguar iPod 30-pin adapter cable

Pairing XKR to iPhone: yes
Phone call quality: good
Steering wheel controls: active (volume, answer call)

Pairing iPhone to Tune2Air: yes (remember that WMA1000 Bluetooth code is "0000")
Process: start Spotify or Pandora on iPhone. On XKR, select "Portable audio", select "iPod" if necessary, hit play button
iPhone control: app display and controls all active; side volume controls also active
Audio quality: very good, IMO
Steering wheel controls: active (volume, skip track forward)
XKR source switching: all other audio sources work, and re-selecting portable audio immediately returns to iPhone music

Previously (iPhone 5, iOS 6xx), Pandora wouldn't even work with my car. So I'm really pleased... I get my favorite music delivery, very good quality audio, and (so far) predictable behavior.

Where's that happy apple icon?

Rich

Old 11-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

So, Rich, you're using Bluetooth A2DP to connect audio from the iPhone 6 to the WMA 1000, which is then linked to the car? So the car is driving the WMA1000 rather than the iPhone, which makes a big difference.

I'm expecting an iPhone 6 to arrive in a week or so; if I can't get it to play nicely with the XKR, I'll have to see if I can source a WMA1000.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:45 PM

Yes, BT from the phone to the connected WMA1000.

Even better, today I found that the iPhone doesn't need to be operated at all; I left it in my briefcase and just selected "Portable audio" on the car. It woke up Pandora on the iPhone and picked up streaming where it had stopped this morning.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rw99
Yes, BT from the phone to the connected WMA1000.

Even better, today I found that the iPhone doesn't need to be operated at all; I left it in my briefcase and just selected "Portable audio" on the car. It woke up Pandora on the iPhone and picked up streaming where it had stopped this morning.

RW99.....What kind of data plan do you have? Doesn't Pandora use a lot of data if used regularly?

Old 11-08-2014, 02:46 PM

Yes, streaming services will eat into your data limit. I use a shared data plan for our small family, 8 GB. My daughter at Cal Poly usually takes 40-50% of that, and I think I'd get close to using up the remainder with maybe 30 minutes per day streaming Pandora (on high quality setting) through my phone. I don't use it all the time, but it's a great additional source.

One could also consider offerings such as that from T-Mobile, who package unlimited streaming music plans that don't count against the data limit.

Rich

bocatrip (11-08-2014)
Old 11-08-2014, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, streaming services will eat into your data limit. I use a shared data plan for our small family, 8 GB. My daughter at Cal Poly usually takes 40-50% of that, and I think I'd get close to using up the remainder with maybe 30 minutes per day streaming Pandora (on high quality setting) through my phone. I don't use it all the time, but it's a great additional source.

One could also consider offerings such as that from T-Mobile, who package unlimited streaming music plans that don't count against the data limit.

Rich

Looks like I'll be sticking to my Flash Drive! Truthfully, I drive my XK only occasionally, using my trusty Lexus LS430 as my daily driver which has technology from the "Paleozoic Era". My ipod shuffle docked to a cassette deck adaptor makes it happen in the Lexus. The XK to me is 99% driving experience in a great looking car.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:21 AM

OK, another update: some good, some bad findings.

The bad: after the car sat for a couple of days, I drove my Monday commute and tried the "iPhone in the briefcase" trick. This time, instead of the XKR audio system remote launching and playing Pandora, it forced some sort of audio system reboot cycle. Very odd. I managed to interrupt the rebooting by selecting AM/FM when it momentarily appeared onscreen. So I started Pandora on the iPhone, and tried again... and it worked perfectly.

The good: I noticed that the song info was also streaming to the car display, updating with each track. Minor, but nice.

Rich

Old 11-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazingly, I am reporting back on-time and as-promised re: iPhone 6 Bluetooth pairing with my 2012. In short: very successful.

Equipment: 2012 XKR-S, iPhone 6, Verizon (CDMA)
Software: iOS 8.1, updated Spotify and Pandora One
Bluetooth: Tune2Air WMA1000 via Jaguar iPod 30-pin adapter cable

Pairing XKR to iPhone: yes
Phone call quality: good
Steering wheel controls: active (volume, answer call)

Pairing iPhone to Tune2Air: yes (remember that WMA1000 Bluetooth code is "0000")
Process: start Spotify or Pandora on iPhone. On XKR, select "Portable audio", select "iPod" if necessary, hit play button
iPhone control: app display and controls all active; side volume controls also active
Audio quality: very good, IMO
Steering wheel controls: active (volume, skip track forward)
XKR source switching: all other audio sources work, and re-selecting portable audio immediately returns to iPhone music

Previously (iPhone 5, iOS 6xx), Pandora wouldn't even work with my car. So I'm really pleased... I get my favorite music delivery, very good quality audio, and (so far) predictable behavior.

Where's that happy apple icon?

Rich
Hello Rich

This is interesting, thanks for the info. How does the WMA1000 deal with the phone contacts? Are they still visible to be selected via the car display? I assume you don't pair the Bluetooth with the car itself anymore but only the WMA1000?

Thanks

Old 11-12-2014, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by kerb
Hello Rich

This is interesting, thanks for the info. How does the WMA1000 deal with the phone contacts? Are they still visible to be selected via the car display? I assume you don't pair the Bluetooth with the car itself anymore but only the WMA1000?

Thanks
Hmmm... I'll check this on the way home.

The iPhone is BT paired to both the WMA1000 and the XKR. I'll have my wife call me while I'm streaming music to confirm that the phone will swap over to the XKR BT connection for incoming calls. Stay tuned...

Rich

kerb (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 11:42 PM

The phone book was displayed on the XKR screen

The XKR and WMA1000 were swapped without any problem by the iPhone, both for dialing out via the XKR phone book entry display and for answering incoming calls. Pandora paused play immediately and handed over audio to the phone call. On hang up, Pandora resumed.

A couple of observations: the Pandora track advance (via either the XKR steering wheel or display controls) is NOT working now. Track skipping must be done on the phone itself. Weird. Also, I noticed that the Pandora track info is displayed and updated on the XKR "home" display screen, which is nice.

Audio (on high quality setting) sounds really good to me. No dropouts, so far.

Rich

Ngarara (11-13-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member

I've now had time to try my iPhone 6 (iOS 8.1) in my 2010 XKR, using an Apple 32-pin-to-Lightning adaptor to connect to the Jaguar cable. It works fine; if anything, better than my iPhone 4, because it seems to be remembering the last play point properly, something which is a bit hit & miss with the 4. Sound quality seems marginally better, too, though that may just be the tracks that popped up. The only issue is that the 6 is too big to comfortably fit in the console box, so I either have to leave the lid open or put the phone in the cup holder.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
I've now had time to try my iPhone 6 (iOS 8.1) in my 2010 XKR, using an Apple 32-pin-to-Lightning adaptor to connect to the Jaguar cable. It works fine; if anything, better than my iPhone 4, because it seems to be remembering the last play point properly, something which is a bit hit & miss with the 4. Sound quality seems marginally better, too, though that may just be the tracks that popped up. The only issue is that the 6 is too big to comfortably fit in the console box, so I either have to leave the lid open or put the phone in the cup holder.

I'm glad it worked for you. No such luck for me. Attaching the Apple 32-pin-to Lightning adaptor makes my iphone 6 give the message that my phone does not recognize the accessory. Even after I now use my flash drive to listen to music.... it only docks to USB when it feels like it. For what it's worth, I'm not planning on downloading the latest software iOS 8.1.1

Old 11-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member

Weird - maybe your car has a different revision of the audio module software. Or is yours the standard audio rather than premium?

Old 11-22-2014, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Weird - maybe your car has a different revision of the audio module software. Or is yours the standard audio rather than premium?

Premium with HD radio

Quick Reply: Iphone 6 no longer plays music