XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Yup, my first gremlin-takes 3 presses of the start button to light.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts
Default Yup, my first gremlin-takes 3 presses of the start button to light.

.....no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three..... Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three..... Five is right out..... Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, the Jag. shall start.
(sigh)

Just started this weekend....
Get in, depress/hold brake, hit start, and all indicators come to life as normal... except....no start... Airbag and check engine light remain lit.
Press again all indicators shut down
Upon then proceeding to three (being the third number) she lights every time, all indicators show good.

I've obviously searched, and know batteries are a questionable issue so I will start by looking there. (Looks to be a new Interstate, and voltage w/o a load is 12.48vdc) I will do a load test on it this weekend to see what kind of drop I get, and also see if I can pull any codes from her.

I just find the count interesting.... Why three, and why every time?
Any speculation before I dig in?

Thanks
Vince

Old 03-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Vince,

Yours is a common complaint that has been previously addressed. See this post: Start Button Slow Response Time My 07-09-2011 comment is quoted below:
"Try pressing the start button BEFORE you step on the brake pedal.

If you inadvertently pump the brake pedal before you press the start button, your brake pedal will be high and might not make contact the starter interlock switch, in which case you would need to really stand on the brake pedal when pressing the start button."
Some cars, like my LS460, require stepping on the brake pedal before pressing the start button; pressing the start button first simply won't work.

Let us know if this helps.
Stuart

Old 03-08-2012, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Vince,

Yours is a common complaint that has been previously addressed. See this post: Start Button Slow Response Time My 07-09-2011 comment is quoted below:
"Try pressing the start button BEFORE you step on the brake pedal.

If you inadvertently pump the brake pedal before you press the start button, your brake pedal will be high and might not make contact the starter interlock switch, in which case you would need to really stand on the brake pedal when pressing the start button."
Some cars, like my LS460, require stepping on the brake pedal before pressing the start button; pressing the start button first simply won't work.

Let us know if this helps.
Stuart
Thanks, read that post along with others before posting, but sadly not the same issue. This gremlin is a new arrival. ALL processes both backwards, forwards.... button first, brake first (make no difference) still require the third press.

V

Last edited by CleverName; 03-08-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Your experience is proof of the old idiom that "the third time's the charm"!

I think Ford may have issued a TSB to perform an exorcism on your car to rid it of the ghosts of Lucas electric... Seriously, electrical gremlins are among the most difficult problems to solve. Hope you get lucky and quickly find the answer.

S

The following users liked this post:
CleverName (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I think Ford may have issued a TSB to perform an exorcism one your car to rid it of the ghosts of Lucas electric...

S
Thanks,
Went and pulled up my list of TBS's and there seems to be one that comes close to being feasible.
TSB XK206-002 "Engine Will Not Crank –'DSC Not Available' Message Displayed"
For VINs B00001 to B05215. I fit in that VIN range, but get no DSC errors, so although close, it isn't a dead ringer.
I do know through conversations with my SA, that the only TSB done to date was the one for water in the passenger foot well.

Guess I'll give him a call and have them take a look. Will see if I can pull any codes to support the TSB theory. before I go in.

Vince

Old 03-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Vince,
Have you considered the remote 'key'; try putting it into the emergency start slot.
Just a thought, easy to try................

Adrian

Old 03-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Vince,
Dont say I didn't warn you. I'm guessing you've had the coupe for about 3mths. It's all about the threes. Below is what I posted a few weeks back. Creepy!!

'So it looks as if no one is immune from the dreaded Jag electric gremlins. It's bordering on creepy and it's almost as if the darn thing gives you a honeymoon period of about 3 months and then says ' Aha! You've not suffered a gremlin yet. Who the eff do you think you are. Let me throw this one at you for starters and we'll take it from there!!....

..... Look out those who have recently purchased an 07XK coupe the phantom is on its way to you.'

Steve

Old 03-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to say I enjoyed the Monty Python and the Holy Grail reference in your first post. I saw that movie in high school. When I got home I was telling my brother and his wife about some of the funnier scenes. They just looked at me like I was crazy. That movie is not for everyone.

Tom

Old 03-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TomG100
I just want to say I enjoyed the Monty Python and the Holy Grail reference in your first post. I saw that movie in high school. When I got home I was telling my brother and his wife about some of the funnier scenes. They just looked at me like I was crazy. That movie is not for everyone.

Tom
Your not alone... Most my relatives have trouble with British humor too. Guess I was lucky enough to get hooked on early shows like Monty Python or Benny Hill. Haven't stopped laughing since!

Really frustrates me when I try to get them to watch something as modern as Top Gear. They just sit there with a blank look...

Ah well....
Vince