XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

07 XK Convertible top replacement (entire)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 05:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 07 XK Convertible top replacement (entire)

I don't have any manuals but the cylinders for my convertible top need to be replaced. Based on my research it would be cheaper for me to buy a used top and replace the entire top(meaning physical replace of the entire unit). I found a black top from a 2015 with only 60,000 miles for about 1500. My glass need to be replaced as well as my top itself so this is a GREAT deal for me. Question is? how difficult is it to replace the entire top.? Does anyone have instructions? I'm unable to download any of the online manuals.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Are you indicating the entire mechanism or just the fabric and cylinders?
I would think it surely would be a two person job for either but the structure probably has alignment issues that might be daunting, to say the least. The fabric can be DIY and a few companies sell replacement tops with instructions so it is fairly easy to do. As to bad cylinders, you can have them rebuilt on an exchange basis by the people at 'tophydraulics.com'. There is even a youtube video that details how to remove/install the cylinders on an x150.

I'd be concerned that the complete top you are looking at may have cycle wear as well as used cylinders which may perform poorly.

I had an upholstery shop replace my top when I needed it since they only charged a couple hundred more for the whole thing and came with a warranty.

If you need both new fabric w/window and cylinders replaced, my suggestion would be to look around to see if that is within the price range you indicated for the entire top. Just my two cents.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,214 Likes on 918 Posts

There is a manufacturer of top fabrics in the LA area that lists on either/or or both Ebay and Amazon. If you should decide to go the way of having somebody doing it for you; my guess is that the mfr will be able to recommend an installer not too far from Tulsa. Good luck!

Old 09-01-2019, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by jlpatton
I don't have any manuals but the cylinders for my convertible top need to be replaced. Based on my research it would be cheaper for me to buy a used top and replace the entire top(meaning physical replace of the entire unit). I found a black top from a 2015 with only 60,000 miles for about 1500. My glass need to be replaced as well as my top itself so this is a GREAT deal for me. Question is? how difficult is it to replace the entire top.? Does anyone have instructions? I'm unable to download any of the online manuals.

The workshop manual PDF is located in the sticky at the top of this forum. I just downloaded it in 15 seconds, did you try this forum sticky link or searching online randomly?

There are detailed instructions you need to follow, never done it myself so cannot comment on the process. Would imagine it is pretty involved.