XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

08 XKR Bluetooth + droid phone (Samsung galaxy S3)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Thanks for posting this, JustNiz. You were correct in your correspondence; it is simply unacceptable that cars like my '08 XK would not work with some of the top modern phones. It is not even a 5 year issue. My XK would not download the calling directory for even my previous HTC top phone (Thunderbolt) a full 2 years ago.

Amazing arrogance from Jaguar, blowing customers away with such attitude.

Albert

Old 04-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but I have absolutely no expectation for my '07 XKR's bluetooth system to be compatible with my 2012 phone. There has just been so much advancement in the platforms, and now much of my contact info is handled by Google.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default so interesting.

This information is extremely interesting. I agree that it is arrogance of the highest form. Not only is it the S3 that has a problem with the XK, but many other Samsung phones have the same 'garbled' phone book problem. It is also not only a USA problem but a UK problem also. I suspect it is the same around the world. I have looked into this in the past and it has somethig to do with the Bluetooth accepting AT commands I think. These are the commands used to access modems and the like.
I wonder how pleasant the C.E.O. at Jag USA, together with his counterpart in the UK woud be if they were bombarded with emails from disruntled oners, say members of a Jaguar forum?
Is is time we used our colective consumer power to get a resoution?

Old 04-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Maybe it's just me, but I have absolutely no expectation for my '07 XKR's bluetooth system to be compatible with my 2012 phone. There has just been so much advancement in the platforms, and now much of my contact info is handled by Google.
Of course you're free to have an opinion but here's some points to consider:

1) Bluetooth is a standard, regardless of any advancement in the platform that uses it.

2) The fact that Google also stores your contacts as well as your phone is totally independent of the problem, and doesn''t get around it either. The fact is that the car apparently doesn't implement the bluetooth standard properly.

3) I agree that for a cheap throwaway product, it MIGHT be considered understandable after 5 years, but Jaguars are meant to be of quality and are definitely not disposable items. The reason they cost so much is partly because they are meant to last significantly more than 5 years. There are people in the Jaguar club still driving pre-WW2 Jags (SS 100's etc). Why should my car not be working perfectly in less than 5 years since it has been made and still under warranty? Interestingly my friend's Hyundai of the same age as my Jag continues to work fine with my phone, so if Hyundai can do it for a $20k car why can't Jaguar do it for a $100k car?

Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by scousegeezer
This information is extremely interesting. I agree that it is arrogance of the highest form. Not only is it the S3 that has a problem with the XK, but many other Samsung phones have the same 'garbled' phone book problem. It is also not only a USA problem but a UK problem also. I suspect it is the same around the world. I have looked into this in the past and it has somethig to do with the Bluetooth accepting AT commands I think. These are the commands used to access modems and the like.
I wonder how pleasant the C.E.O. at Jag USA, together with his counterpart in the UK woud be if they were bombarded with emails from disruntled oners, say members of a Jaguar forum?
Is is time we used our colective consumer power to get a resoution?
I haven't given up yet and am still trying to take this further. I have already made Jaguar aware of this forum thread as one example, but I think as a start, it would be of massive help if each of you guys in the US also independently took the time to contact Pianca Vasquez at Jaguar North America with the same problem (her contact details are in my email above). If you do, please post that you have done it here.

ScouseGeezer I presume with a name like that you're in the UK. Please could you escalate this up the Jaguar UK chain and see what happens there?

I will keep you guys informed here of any progress I make too.

Last edited by JustNiz; 04-06-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Thumbs up

JustNiz having trouble getting the Jaguar web form working, will contact the dealer when thy are open. Hopefully other owners with the same problem will join in when I get the correct address to send to.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by JustNiz

1) Bluetooth is a standard, regardless of any advancement in the platform that uses it.

2) The fact that Google also stores your contacts as well as your phone is totally independent of the problem, and doesn''t get around it either. The fact is that the car apparently doesn't implement the bluetooth standard properly.

3) I agree that for a cheap throwaway product, it MIGHT be considered understandable after 5 years, but Jaguars are meant to be of quality and are definitely not disposable items. The reason they cost so much is partly because they are meant to last significantly more than 5 years. There are people in the Jaguar club still driving pre-WW2 Jags (SS 100's etc). Why should my car not be working perfectly in less than 5 years since it has been made and still under warranty? Interestingly my friend's Hyundai of the same age as my Jag continues to work fine with my phone, so if Hyundai can do it for a $20k car why can't Jaguar do it for a $100k car?
I think you are under the impression that this is specifically a Jaguar problem. It's really not limited to Jaguar--even Hyundai has problems with their new cars with certain phones. Jaguar is a small company with very low volume of production/sales. Although the prices are quite high and compare with other larger companies, my expectations for the media/entertainment portion of the car are much less. And yet, these annoying Bluetooth issues affect BMW, Audi, etc., at least based upon what I've seen.

Your Jaguar does work perfectly when it's 5 years old--when you use it with the 5 year old phone it was designed for!

Last edited by amcdonal86; 04-06-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:59 PM

UK SIII is a different phone from the US version which is missing a lot of the UK's bells and whistles.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JustNiz

For sure the RF part of Bluetooth is a standard, but what about the software behind the link? If either end sets its timeouts too short or starts using odd-bod "extensions" like Microsoft did on the Web, then that's when the trouble starts. This seems to be a Samsung issue, so I wonder if they store the data with some kind of font ID that simply is not recognised by the system in Jaguars.

I have an LG phone (not a dumb phone of any kind) that uploads perfectly, BUT somehow the command from the car to the phone to get the phone to answer and feed the audio into the Bluetooth goes AWOL 75% of the time. The phone picks up the call as requested so it must be receiving Bluetooth from the car. However, it fails to put the audio through the speakers or accept audio from the microphone.

My "fix" is to slide the phone open when I receive a call, and it seems to work every time. No, I don't know why. Dialing out it works first time, every time. Go figure.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by agentorange
For sure the RF part of Bluetooth is a standard, but what about the software behind the link? ...
Th protocol is also a part of the specification:
Bluetooth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I think you are under the impression that this is specifically a Jaguar problem. It's really not limited to Jaguar--even Hyundai has problems with their new cars with certain phones.

Your Jaguar does work perfectly when it's 5 years old--when you use it with the 5 year old phone it was designed for!
I too see this as a Jaguar problem. My Range Rover works with just about any phone, no problem and that's an older car than my XK.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:39 AM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I too see this as a Jaguar problem. My Range Rover works with just about any phone, no problem and that's an older car than my XK.
To be fair, other manufacturers go also have bluetooth issues. My Alfa Brera refused to work with an HTC handset - apparently due to the bluetooth stack used by HTC being slightly newer than the car's.

My 09MY XK and 07MY XK both worked fine with Samsung/HTC phones up to the S3.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

My XK 09 works well with Samsung S3. Wish it would allow audio/mp3 play.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How would Jaguar or any other car company be able to build a system to be compatable with phone technology years from now? A 2008 car is a dinosaur technology wise. Phone tech changes almost daily. Are car companies supposed to release free phone modules to upgrade the system in the car forever? There is no way the car companies could test every phone made, with every phone maker's software release to operate in all their cars. Once they did the phone makers have released another s/w update with who knows what changes made and how it will affect the system in the car.

There is an approved phone list on the Jag USA website. Anything else hasnt been tested on the system, and under warranty or not, there is no repair made if an approved phone is paired to the car and works at the dealer.

Maybe its not the $100,000 cars problem. Maybe its the $100 phone's fault. Why aren't people emailing Apple, Motorolla etc, and asking why they cant make the phone work in their car? Why is it the car maker's fault?

Old 11-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnie ryall
How would Jaguar or any other car company be able to build a system to be compatable with phone technology years from now?
It's an android problem. All other major phone os are working with my XKR 2007.
iOS 7 all iPhones
Blackerry OS 10: Blackberry Z10
Windows Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020

That means only android has problems with our loved cars. I tried almost all latest android devices: Nexus 4, 5, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy SIII, S4, Sony Xperia Z and more. All failed.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Same problem with my new Nexus 5

I'm also having the same garbled contact name problem with my new Nexus 5. I've been using iPhones for the last 4 years with my 2007 XKR and all worked perfectly. My new Nexus 5 pairs and docks and I can make and received calls, however, the contact names are garbled, while the contact numbers display correctly. Even the small "type" icons e.g. mobile, home, work, are displayed correctly on the screen.

I've contacted Google Support who are trying to help me out, but I've just found this forum, so I suspect I have no choice but to either put up with the "fault" or return the Nexus 5 and revert back to the iPhone.

It's frustrating that iPhones are compatibile, but Androids aren't. Clearly there are things that Apple does better than Google (and all other flavours of Android), so I'm not convinced this is purely a Jaguar software issue.

I really wanted to move away from Apple products, but I may have to stick with them while I own a Jaguar

I will certainly consider this lack of support from Jaguar when changing my car, which I hope to do in the next 12 months.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

I currently I have an Iphone 4S which I pair with my 12 vert. I have had two get corrupted and have had to replace them. So, I'm intending to go with a Samsung Galaxy 4 in the next ten days or so. In order to avoid the faulty pairing issue I asked the local service manager (who I have a good relationship with) to test out the phone with a 12 xk. He did and reported back no problems. In addition the Jaguar USA website will lead you to a website that lists all the phones that are compatible with your xk. What you do is put in the last 5 or 6 digits of your vin and the make and model of the phone you want to check out and the site will tell you if the phone is compatible and what features will and will not work. Give it a shot.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:47 AM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I wouldn't expect anything less from Jaguar when it comes to supporting modern phones on a 2012 car.
I've used the compatibility list, but it is useless for my 2007 XKR. Jaguar have moved on and have no interest in supporting the Bluetooth software on a model this old. The compatibility list doesn't even show the iPhone 5 or Nexus 4 or 5 for my car. I know the iPhone 5 will work, and from my experience the Nexus 5 is 80% compatible, but that missing 20% means I either change my phone or change my car!

Its interesting that while Jaguar aren't interested in continuing to support Bluetooth on older models, there is also clearly a difference in the way in which Bluetooth works on Apple devices and Android devices.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

Jaguar probably realised that supporting such things on older cars would mean they'd need to charge say $200 and people would not pay it. So stopped. Support costs...

Old 11-25-2013, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Jaguar probably realised that supporting such things on older cars would mean they'd need to charge say $200 and people would not pay it. So stopped. Support costs...
I would pay more than that, to get my car working properly with my phone.

Quick Reply: 08 XKR Bluetooth + droid phone (Samsung galaxy S3)