XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

08 XKR Bluetooth + droid phone (Samsung galaxy S3)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 08:39 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by milleniumaire
I wouldn't expect anything less from Jaguar when it comes to supporting modern phones on a 2012 car.
I've used the compatibility list, but it is useless for my 2007 XKR. Jaguar have moved on and have no interest in supporting the Bluetooth software on a model this old. The compatibility list doesn't even show the iPhone 5 or Nexus 4 or 5 for my car. I know the iPhone 5 will work, and from my experience the Nexus 5 is 80% compatible, but that missing 20% means I either change my phone or change my car!

Its interesting that while Jaguar aren't interested in continuing to support Bluetooth on older models, there is also clearly a difference in the way in which Bluetooth works on Apple devices and Android devices.

The problem is that the bluetooth standard itself is somewhat vague in places, so Apple implement something one way, Android another, and both comply with the standard. Neither are really wrong. It does seem that Jaguar are very apple-aware but dont hardly know Android even exists, even though it powers over 80% of the world smartphone market.

Personally I think Jaguar are literally insulting their customers by failing to support even 4 year old cars. Its not like Jaguars are cheap. They're meant to last a long while and as far as I'm concerned I've already paid for that when I bought the car, however even my friend's $20k Hyundai bought at the same time still gets bluetooth updates/support (and has always worked with my phone). I love my Jag otherwise but it's exactly these cheaping-out decisions made at Jaguar that would be the reason I wouldn't buy another. I expect a company to stand behind its product, especially when its priced in the luxury range.

Last edited by JustNiz; 11-25-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

PM Mike @ Jaguar - see his forum posts - as they need to know people's views on things like this. If no-one tells them then they have no reason to change.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
PM Mike @ Jaguar - see his forum posts - as they need to know people's views on things like this. If no-one tells them then they have no reason to change.
Whats his username on this forum? ... or point me to a thread with a post from him in it.

Thanks,
Neil

Old 11-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Ran into an old friend the other day. Hadn't seen him in a few years. Asked how he was doing and he proceeded to tell me that his oldest son was killed in Afghanistan. Through the stress of dealing with that, his wife left him. If that wasn't enough, his business failed and he doesn't have a dime to his name. He has been dealing with depression and an number of other related illnesses.

He asked me how I was doing. I told him my smart phone wouldn't work in my Jag XK. He couldn't believe it.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

You'll kick yourself - username is Mike@Jaguar

BTW, you could have found it using Search, worst case...

Old 11-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
Ran into an old friend the other day. Hadn't seen him in a few years. Asked how he was doing and he proceeded to tell me that his oldest son was killed in Afghanistan. Through the stress of dealing with that, his wife left him. If that wasn't enough, his business failed and he doesn't have a dime to his name. He has been dealing with depression and an number of other related illnesses.

He asked me how I was doing. I told him my smart phone wouldn't work in my Jag XK. He couldn't believe it.
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. His story is not unlike that of some others here on the forum. Sometimes, when we have pain in our lives, the seemingly superficial things take on a powerful symbolism, and we outwardly focus on them while we inwardly heal. I applaud your friend for not belittling your problem in light of his own.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:23 AM

Thats exactly why. When life hits you in the *** and your only remaining outlet is to take a long drive in your nice car which is your one luxury left, When it lets you down too hurts a lot.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:12 AM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Sent my Nexus 5 back to Google due to its inability to upload contact names correctly to my 2007 XKR. I've also tried a Sony Xperia Z1, but get EXACTLY the same problem with the contact names. Given that that the Z1 is running Android Jelly Bean 4.2 and the N5 is running Kitkat 4.4 this looks like it is an Android bluetooth compatibility issue that has been around for some time.

I'm currently back to my iPhone 4S, which works flawlessly and I'm considering upgrading this to an iPhone 5.

Can anyone confirm that the iPhone 5 works with a 2007 XK/XKR?

Old 11-28-2013, 02:13 AM

Sent my Nexus 5 back to Google due to its inability to upload contact names correctly to my 2007 XKR. I've also tried a Sony Xperia Z1, but get EXACTLY the same problem with the contact names. Given that the Z1 is running Android Jelly Bean 4.2 and the N5 is running Kitkat 4.4 this looks like it is an Android bluetooth compatibility issue that has been around for some time. For both phones, the hands free calling works, but the uploaded address book displays garbage for the contact names. Received a call from my son while testing the Z1 in the car, but didn't know it was him as it showed the caller as "Aa"! This is useless to me and it won't get fixed unless Jaguar upgrade the bluetooth firmware on these older models.

I'm currently back to my iPhone 4S, which works flawlessly and I'm considering upgrading this to an iPhone 5.

Last edited by milleniumaire; 11-28-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I wrote it in a previous post, all major smartphones are compatible with 2007 XK/XKR except android. I have tested the following without any issues:

iOS 7 all iPhones
Blackerry OS 10: Blackberry Z10
Windows Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020

Old 11-28-2013, 09:27 AM

Perhaps this site will be of interest to those wondering about their phone compatibility with Jaguar.

Simply select the model and then type in the last 6 digits of your VIN.

PLEASE SELECT YOUR MODEL

Old 11-29-2013, 05:25 AM

Perhaps this site will be of interest to those wondering about their phone compatibility with Jaguar.

Simply select the model and then type in the last 6 digits of your VIN.

PLEASE SELECT YOUR MODEL
Unfortunately, in the same way that Jaguar aren't interested in supporting the bluetooth Software on a 2007 car, they also don't bother to test newer phones with this age of car, or if they do, they don't update the website in the link you provide.

So unless you want to confirm that older mobiles work with a 6 year old jag, then the site is useless for my car.

Like other Jag owners I'm currently doing my own testing.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kai.schmerer
It's an android problem. All other major phone os are working with my XKR 2007.
iOS 7 all iPhones
Blackerry OS 10: Blackberry Z10
Windows Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020

That means only android has problems with our loved cars. I tried almost all latest android devices: Nexus 4, 5, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy SIII, S4, Sony Xperia Z and more. All failed.
Interesting that the Lumia 1020 works. I have a Lumia 800 (with WP7.8) which absolutely doesn't work with my (UK) 07 XKR. And I don't just mean garbled text - I mean it won't route sounds through the car speakers/microphone at all. I was told by a dealer that the car software cannot be upgraded (which I think is bizarre). This surely implies Microsoft have updated their Bluetooth protocol in WP8.

Thinking about getting a Nexus5 in a month or two which, if posts here are correct, will at least enable me to speak handsfree.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by mickyboy
Thinking about getting a Nexus5 in a month or two which, if posts here are correct, will at least enable me to speak handsfree.
The Italian members within the Jaguar community will be interested in this feature.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Android Phone

I have been trying to get my Google Nexus 4 to work with my 2007 XK, serial B00200 which means that it is a very early XK. Pairing was simple and straightforward. I can receive phone calls but caller cannot hear me. I can dial out, but again no sound gets transmitted from my end. Of course, the phone book feature does not work, but I am not concerned with that.

When I bought the latest Navteq Disc for my 2004 XJ sedan, there were some changes that the disk make to my navigation features and I was wondering if the latest Navteq disks change any of the XK's electronic features.

If any of you have been able to get an Android Phone to work with your XK, have you updated your navigation disk? Just looking for some correlation.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

I have an XK 12 and use it with a Samsung Galaxy S4. Had some problems with it earlier. A T & T had me take it back to ground zero and update everything on the phone (they walked me through it). Now it works perfectly. The only thing you need to be aware of is the XK can only handle 500 phone numbers, including fax nrs, in its phone book. If you have more than 500 discrete telephone, including FAX nrs, then the XK will truncate the listings when you hit the 500 number cap.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:33 AM

Cars 2009 and later apparently had a different bluetooth module that doesn't have this problem, or at least works better and is more likely to get firmware updates.
The 2009 bluetooth module is, according to my dealer at least, incompatible with 2008 cars. I personally think it's much more likely to actually be compatible as they aren't going to redesign head-unit interfaces like that mid stream of a model, its just that Jag don't want to allow/promote an unofficial parts configuration from a mix of years, but I'm not about to potentially waste ~$800 for the part + 2 hours of labour in case I'm wrong.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

JustNiz- Thanks. To think I was considering getting a new XKR (Yes-the F type is great but I am too big for it)- maybe my son is right, keep the 05 XKR I have and get an M3 BMW or so. Hope you have good luck in your quest. I was shocked at their reply. They need to understand who JAG owners are- at least we are not ignorant and don't fall for lame excuses like those above.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:08 PM
Received 195 Likes on 123 Posts

Thread resurrection time. I just got the new Google Nexus 5X (loosely based on the LG G4) yesterday. I can pair it with the car (2008 XKR) and it connects... but then immediately disconnects and the car says "no connection with phone" and offers to let me connect to a phone or search for a new one. They then reconnect, disconnect and this continues ad infinitum.

Anyone had any better luck with this? I'm sort of hoping it's a bug in the Android 6.0 software which will get spotted and fixed quickly but I'm not holding my breath...

Old 10-28-2015, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts
Default Jaguar Bluetooth Connectivity Centre

Many have asked: "Will my smartphone connect with the Bluetooth in my Jaguar?"

Here is THE DEFINITIVE SOURCE: Vehicles - Jaguar Click the link and you can search (1) by model and year or (2) you can enter your VIN.

If this was helpful, please press at the bottom right.

Stuart

Quick Reply: 08 XKR Bluetooth + droid phone (Samsung galaxy S3)