XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

08' XKR Convert - Good deal??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
I learned long ago at a younger age, don't chase the price of a car, because you like so much, that it becomes an impulse buy.
Definitely chasing the price of the car is not advisable with a car as uncommon as an XKR. If you find one with the exact colors and options you want and it checks out, I wouldn't obsess over the price too much. However, I feel like once you've found the car, holding back due to the price stops it from becoming an impulse purchase!

Old 07-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddydog
FYI: Four graphs of all used 2007-2009 model XKRs listed on Cars.com on 7/26/13 (over 50 data points). All cars are averaged together regardless of options, condition, etc.

Graph 1: All data points for all three years. x=mileage, y=price. You can start seeing trends, although the 2009s are all over the map.

Graph 2-4: Each year separated out with a trend line drawn in. You could consider starting at the mileage and moving up until you hit the trend line. that is the asking price for an average XKR listed on cars.com, retail (dealers) with that mileage. It's a place to start.

e.g. an average dealer retail for a 2008 XKR, with 22,000 miles, for sale right now in the US, is ~$50,000. Although I now see one data point is obviously skewing the data. I'm not going to run a t-test on it, let's just throw it out and get graph 5 (next post).
The NADA values are always determined by geographical locations, and are very specific to regions within the USA.

But, since the graphs are more accurate than NADA, ........

I have a 2009 Jaguar XKR Convertible "Portfolio Edition" in showroom condition, (see photobucket link in signature) with only 14,300 miles, that I will let go for $55,000-$56,000 to the first taker based on the chart patterns that I see here. I will assist the buyer with shipping and pay 1/2 of the transport costs. According to the charts and the poster, I should be able to get this easily. I will give the buyer up to 30 days to secure financing for the car, and will not drive it once the car is sold. Clean Carfax, Garage kept, one driver only. Recently inspected by Jaguar dealer.

Any taker(s) at the chart pattern price??

I would be most pleased to sell it for the $55,000 or $56,000.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

The NADA values are always determined by geographical locations, and are very specific to regions within the USA.

But, since the graphs are more accurate than NADA, ........

I have a 2009 Jaguar XKR Convertible "Portfolio Edition" in showroom condition, (see photobucket link in signature) with only 14,300 miles, that I will let go for $55,000-$56,000 to the first taker based on the chart patterns that I see here. I will assist the buyer with shipping and pay 1/2 of the transport costs. According to the charts and the poster, I should be able to get this easily. I will give the buyer up to 30 days to secure financing for the car, and will not drive it once the car is sold. Clean Carfax, Garage kept, one driver only. Recently inspected by Jaguar dealer.

Any taker(s) at the chart pattern price??

I would be most pleased to sell it for the $55,000 or $56,000.

I thought the trendline actually shows closer to $53k, maybe $56k with your portfolio package.

However, most of those are dealer prices. You will never be able to sell it for what a dealer can. Not only that, these are just asking prices. Even the dealer would probably not get an offer within $2-3k of that price.

I started looking for XKRs about a year ago. So many dealers had XKRs on their lot for months without any takers. Many of these went unsold into the winter. IMO, the XKR is a tricky car to sell. Not too many people are looking for them.

The following users liked this post:
DGL (07-28-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86

I thought the trendline actually shows closer to $53k, maybe $56k with your portfolio package.

However, most of those are dealer prices. You will never be able to sell it for what a dealer can. Not only that, these are just asking prices. Even the dealer would probably not get an offer within $2-3k of that price.

I started looking for XKRs about a year ago. So many dealers had XKRs on their lot for months without any takers. Many of these went unsold into the winter. IMO, the XKR is a tricky car to sell. Not too many people are looking for them.
Alan:

I agree with the above. That was my whole point. I don't believe that Mdogs chart patterns are valid pricing points, thus my offer for my personal XKR for $55,000......I'll take the cash if anybody wants a XKR based on chart pattern prices.

I think wcs_michfan is doing the right thing........flash the cash, wait and see what happens. It's a special type of buyer who wants to own the Jaguar XKR, regardless of model year. I would venture to say, the seller comes back to him with a lower offer than his $43,500...(maybe $42,000).....only time will tell. Let's see what happens. The guy with the cash is in control.

One thing I know for sure, he needs to buy the car for the right price.

amcdonal86 (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

I agree. I think the OP has all the power. The seller probably has few if any prospective buyers.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

I know one thing for sure, I love my 2009 XKR Convert Portfolio ...
... "I would be most pleased to sell it for the $55,000 or $56,000."

Richard,

We have almost identical cars and I love mine, too, and plan to keep it for a long time since I consider it to be a unique timeless beauty and beast (not a 550HP XKR-S but plenty for me). I was surprised that you're willing to sell yours so shortly after you bought it just to turn a quick profit. Perhaps you're just testing the waters or have your eye on a new love. Nothing wrong with owning a stable, if you can afford the hay.

You might regret selling it, as I regretted selling my unrestored 1960 Corvette after owning it for 42 years. I sold it because it was a death trap and I didn't want my son to drive it. But I don't regret having sold it now.

I set a very high asking price at the time (because I really didn't want to sell it) and was surprised when a buyer agreed, so I sold it. If I really wanted another '60 Vette I could buy one today, but I have no interest to do so. A 50+ year old car is just that, no matter how much it may be resto-modded and modernized. You simply can't resto-mod crumple zones.

Stuart

Attached Thumbnails 08' XKR Convert - Good deal??-8382779662_ce6f0582ea.jpg   08' XKR Convert - Good deal??-9379367692_9f8c01c430_z.jpg   08' XKR Convert - Good deal??-9376586611_ab7fcaa3de_z.jpg  

Last edited by Stuart S; 07-27-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
... "I would be most pleased to sell it for the $55,000 or $56,000."

Richard,

We have almost identical cars and I love mine, too, and plan to keep it for a long time since I consider it to be a unique timeless beauty and beast (not a 550HP XKR-S but plenty for me). I was surprised that you're willing to sell yours so shortly after you bought it just to turn a quick profit. Perhaps you're just testing the waters or have your eye on a new love. Nothing wrong with owning a stable, if you can afford the hay.

You might regret selling it, as I regretted selling my unrestored 1960 Corvette after owning it for 42 years. I sold it because it was a death trap and I didn't want my son to drive it. But I don't regret having sold it now.

I set a very high asking price at the time (because I really didn't want to sell it) and was surprised when a buyer agreed, so I sold it. If I really wanted another '60 Vette I could buy one today, but I have no interest to do so. A 50+ year old car is just that, no matter how much it may be resto-modded and modernized. You simply can't resto-mod crumple zones.

Stuart
Stuart:

I love my XKR, but was just pulling a few chains on the chart pattern valuations. Of course there is a price for everything. If someone would want to pay me the $55,000 I would take it and trade up to a later model. Perhaps a 2010 or 2011.

Otherwise, I just love to look at what I got. As you already know, we both own one beautiful car.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

Haha! You sold your 1960 Corvette so that your son couldn't drive it. I don't know if that is true love or hate!!!

Old 07-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member

Haha! You sold your 1960 Corvette so that your son couldn't drive it. I don't know if that is true love or hate!!!
Alan,

Do you have a teenage son or daughter? If so, you would know that my decision was absolutely true love.

Irresponsible parents who allow their high school children to drive high-powered cars are creating accidents waiting to happen, like the parents of the driver of this Corvette: Two Castro Valley teens killed in crash in Alameda County | abc7news.com This is just one of many tragedies. I couldn't live with my self it this were to happen, and I know I made the right decision.

Stuart

DGL (07-28-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

Stuart:

Otherwise, I just love to look at what I got. As you already know, we both own one beautiful car.
Richard,

And I though I was the only one who looked in the garage before I went to sleep!

Stuart

Old 07-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Richard,

And I though I was the only one who looked in the garage before I went to sleep!

Stuart
I know exactly what you mean. When I first got the XKR my wife asked "Are you going to sleep in it tonight?"

Old 07-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

I know exactly what you mean. When I first got the XKR my wife asked "Are you going to sleep in it tonight?"
Great to have a wife who understands!

Old 07-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Alan,

Do you have a teenage son or daughter? If so, you would know that my decision was absolutely true love.

Irresponsible parents who allow their high school children to drive high-powered cars are creating accidents waiting to happen, like the parents of the driver of this Corvette: Two Castro Valley teens killed in crash in Alameda County | abc7news.com This is just one of many tragedies. I couldn't live with my self it this were to happen, and I know I made the right decision.

Stuart
It was a joke. I am practically a teenager myself!

Although how fast can a 1960s 'Vette be? About as fast as a Honda Civic? (Except I suppose it doesn't have any airbags or a modern crash structure!)

Last edited by amcdonal86; 07-27-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

**repost** oops

Old 07-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

OK, I feel I need to defend my graphs

The drawbacks are obvious and undisputed: These are dealers. These are asking prices. The cars for sale today will not be the cars for sale next month, or next quarter, or next year.

But, ironically, Richzak was correct when he said (I'm assuming facetiously?) that these numbers are real. They are. You could actually buy these real cars for these real prices, today. The books are great in theory, but you have to have a willing seller for those prices, and the sellers don't always read the books.

Unless you are in Hawaii, regional US pricing for an XKR is a non-starter. If you have more than 3 cars to compare in your area, you're lucky, and people buy and ship these cars from all over, rendering regional pricing moot.

If you took all cars and graphed price vs options it would be a jumbled mess. By far and away the only variable that produces a predictable trend is mileage.

Lets look at the 2008 graph a different way. I'll draw a line parallel to the trend line, but low enough so that all asking prices fall above it. What we can see when we look again at the 22,000 mile point is that it is unlikely that any dealership in the country would put this car on their lot, for any reason, with or without any options, for less than about $44,500.

My bet is, even if you were to find a dealer who did put this car on their lot for that price, you couldn't talk them down, no matter how many figures you threw at them from the NADA. But I'm not a wheeler dealer. Maybe some of you could?

The question at hand is this: if you found a 2008 XKR from a private party on sale for less than $44,500, is it a good deal? You decide.

Attached Thumbnails 08' XKR Convert - Good deal??-image.jpg  

Last edited by Muddydog; 07-27-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

It was a joke. I am practically a teenager myself!

Although how fast can a 1960s 'Vette be? About as fast as a Honda Civic? (Except I suppose it doesn't have any airbags or a modern crash structure!)
I'm still a teenager (at heart), myself!

As fast as a Civic? GMAB! ROLMAO! How fast? Read on...

My 1960 'Vette weighed in at exactly 3,000 lbs. at the strip. Not having any power anything kept the weight down. Only power windows were available from the factory, and I didn't order them. I ordered it from the factory with both hardtop and soft top, 4-speed transmission and 4.11 positraction rear. In 1967 I replaced the original 283ci/230HP engine with a factory short-block balanced/blueprinted 327ci/365HP engine with Hooker headers, Holley 3310 carb, Mallory dual-point distributor, capacitive discharge ignition and factory off-road exhaust. This was state-of-the-art in 1967. Estimated 400+HP with mods, power-to-weight ratio of less than 7.5:1. Scary fast back then - low 14s in the 1/4 on street tires, which is still respectable today.

Beautiful and a blast to drive, but a death trap. Chassis was based on 1953 Chevy pickup truck with X-member frame, front-end with kingpins, drum brakes, skinny 6.70-15 bias-ply tires, no power steering, no power brakes, no safety anything except seat belts and a horn. No crumple zones to absorb crash energy, solid tube steering column (no collapsible section) impaled drivers, no air bags. No comfort/convenience items available from the factory, such as PS, PB, A/C, stereo, adjustable steering column, power seats, cupholders (ugh! -that was a good thing!). Accelerated way too fast for its brakes. Except for the engine and fantastic-sounding exhaust, everything else was stone-age compared to today's technology. I still miss the sound, but my XKR sans fuse 19 is music for my ears!

If you want to hear a similar '61 'Vette with the same off-road exhaust, see this old video narrated by Zora Arkus-Duntov, the Father of the Corvette: Sounds of 1961 Corvette - YouTube My '60 played the same melody.

amcdonal86 (07-28-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

wcs_mich:

Did you ever buy the car you where looking at, from Folsom, Ca.?

Old 08-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all your help guys, but the deal fell through. I'm now looking at 911's.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wcs_michfan
thanks for all your help guys, but the deal fell through. I'm now looking at 911's.
I went to the Porsche dealer down here in Oahu, Hawaii yesterday (I am here currently) to look at the the Cayman. It is quite the car. There are several good deals locatd on the west coast that I have seen. I am interetsed in the 2014, and looking at one from the Porsche dealer locatd in Freemont, Ca. (Porsche of Fremont).

Both the Cayman and Cayman S are highly rated cars, and you can find several nice cars for around the $40,000 range used.

Porsche : Cayman WE FINANCE!! in Porsche | eBay Motors

Porsche : Cayman S in Porsche | eBay Motors

Porsche : Cayman S Hatchback 2-Door in Porsche | eBay Motors

Since I have the 2009 Jaguar XKR convertible, a Cayman or Cayman S (Coupe) would look very nice parked next to the Jag in garage.

Consider the Cayman as a strong possibility.

Last edited by richzak; 08-14-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

I went to the Porsche dealer down here in Oahu, Hawaii yesterday (I am here currently) to look at the the Cayman. It is quite the car. There are several good deals locatd on the west coast that I have seen. I am interetsed in the 2014, and looking at one from the Porsche dealer locatd in Freemont, Ca. (Porsche of Fremont).

Both the Cayman and Cayman S are highly rated cars, and you can find several nice cars for around the $40,000 range used.

Porsche : Cayman S in Porsche | eBay Motors

Porsche : Cayman S Hatchback 2-Door in Porsche | eBay Motors

Since I have the 2009 Jaguar XKR convertible, a Cayman or Cayman S (Coupe) would look very nice parked next to the Jag in garage.

Consider the Cayman as a strong possibility.
It looks nice, but I want to know how it drives!

Quick Reply: 08' XKR Convert - Good deal??