XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

'09 XK Firmware Update? More Bluetooth Headaches

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 XK Firmware Update? More Bluetooth Headaches

Hi All,

My mother has a 2009 Jaguar XK convertible that she used to love...but she is becoming increasingly frustrated with the malfunctioning electronics. Since I'm the designated tech-geek of the family, I've been tasked with finding a solution.

I know there are a number of bluetooth-related threads here, but I’m struggling to find one that’s somewhat recent and addresses this specific model/year.

The problems are generally intermittent, but occur often enough to make using a phone with bluetooth not worth it.

I’ve read lots of folks complaining about bluetooth problems, but I’m still confused - hoping someone can answer this question:

Q: Is there a firmware/software upgrade or patch I can install myself that addresses all or even some of the problems below? If not, is there a hardware solution, i.e. a newer bluetooth module I can buy to replace the existing one?

BLUETOOTH PROBLEMS:
———————————————————
#1 It is extremely difficult or impossible to un-dock the main phone & pair a second phone. It will hang on one of the screens, fail to ‘discover’ the device, or generally fail at one point or another during the process.

#2 Bluetooth connection will spontaneously disconnect

#3 Contacts do not synchronize, nor can I see the call log

#4 When trying to pair a ‘new’ phone, system will occasionally freeze on the pairing screen, blocking access any functions on the screen. It eventually resolves itself after turning the car completely off and waiting an hour or so before trying again.

———————————————————

Thanks in advance for any guidance you might be able to provide.

- Jake H

Old 04-13-2017, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

What kind of mobile phones are you working with? I have found that I phones and my XKs do not get along. So I switched over to Samsung Android phones, currently a Galaxy 6E. After the switchover The only problems I have had are the occasional disconnect, maybe once every 5 or 6 weeks and then I'm able to re-dock it almost immediately (on first try).

By the way I went through 4 I phone 4s each of which got corrupted after 2-3 months of use. Hope this helps.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:21 AM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I have only had IPhones from 5 through to 6S, generally they have worked really well with excellent sound and microphone quality. The only problem I have had is that on approx 3 occasions in three years the other person cannot hear me, but I can hear them perfectly, as if the Microphone had been muted. I simply unpair and repair and the issue goes away

Old 04-13-2017, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Read the"Sticky" on the first page of this Forum and click on the link to the Jaguar Connectivity Centre. Enter your VIN and see if your phone is compatible with the Bluetooth in your car. Many new phones aren't listed but may still work, but not 100%, with failure to properly download the phonebook being a common problem. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...jaguar-152361/

I still use my ancient Samsung Galaxy S3 because it still works with my 2009 XKR.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by eightball897
Hi All,

My mother has a 2009 Jaguar XK convertible that she used to love...but she is becoming increasingly frustrated with the malfunctioning electronics. Since I'm the designated tech-geek of the family, I've been tasked with finding a solution.

I know there are a number of bluetooth-related threads here, but I’m struggling to find one that’s somewhat recent and addresses this specific model/year.

The problems are generally intermittent, but occur often enough to make using a phone with bluetooth not worth it.

I’ve read lots of folks complaining about bluetooth problems, but I’m still confused - hoping someone can answer this question:

Q: Is there a firmware/software upgrade or patch I can install myself that addresses all or even some of the problems below? If not, is there a hardware solution, i.e. a newer bluetooth module I can buy to replace the existing one?

BLUETOOTH PROBLEMS:
———————————————————
#1 It is extremely difficult or impossible to un-dock the main phone & pair a second phone. It will hang on one of the screens, fail to ‘discover’ the device, or generally fail at one point or another during the process.

#2 Bluetooth connection will spontaneously disconnect

#3 Contacts do not synchronize, nor can I see the call log

#4 When trying to pair a ‘new’ phone, system will occasionally freeze on the pairing screen, blocking access any functions on the screen. It eventually resolves itself after turning the car completely off and waiting an hour or so before trying again.

———————————————————

Thanks in advance for any guidance you might be able to provide.

- Jake H
By all means, read the thread Stuart pointed you to Jake.

Send a private message to Cambo. He now has the ability to update the modules firmware I believe, which is probably less costly than buying a newer BT module (which is what I did)

Old 04-13-2017, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the help everyone! We are an iPhone family. I will get her Vin number when she gets home, but I went to that site & just tried to search by the make/model of the Jaguar. Unless I'm missing something, all this does is point me to pairing instructions based on the phone I have, and all 'software' info is about which version of iOS I'm using.

I'm trying to find out if I can update the firmware for the system in the car to fix some of these problems. Is that even possible? If a visit to the dealer is required, I'd like to know either way...of course that brings along another set of problems (the tech guy isn't here today; try back a week from Tuesday).

Old 04-14-2017, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by eightball897
Thanks for all of the help everyone! We are an iPhone family. I will get her Vin number when she gets home, but I went to that site & just tried to search by the make/model of the Jaguar. Unless I'm missing something, all this does is point me to pairing instructions based on the phone I have, and all 'software' info is about which version of iOS I'm using.

I'm trying to find out if I can update the firmware for the system in the car to fix some of these problems. Is that even possible? If a visit to the dealer is required, I'd like to know either way...of course that brings along another set of problems (the tech guy isn't here today; try back a week from Tuesday).
The list, even if you find it is woefully inadequate. Many phone not listed still work as Stuart mentioned. Yes you can buy a newer module but they are pricey.

As I mentioned, reach out to Cambo regarding a firmware update. I don't think it's anything Jaguar dealerships do. It's certainly not an option using their diagnostic software. He should be able to answer your firmware question.

Just another small note. Make sure there are no more than 4 phones that have been paired. I've read this can be an issue, so if previous owners still have there phones listed, delete them. Delete all of them and start over, but certainly reach out to Cameron (Cambo).

These are the newer modules beginning with 2010:
B32753 to B36862: C2P20239 (9W83-10D893-AB) 2010 - 2012
B49386 (2013 xk) onward: ??????? (9W83-10F845-AA)

latest?: 9W83-10F845-AA