XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

102,000 mile XKR Is it worth buying

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 12:05 PM
Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 102,000 mile XKR Is it worth buying

A 2011 xkr convertible is for sale on ebay with 103,000 miles. I asked the seller if the rear bushings have every been replaced and he did not know. He told me to look at the carfax. Carfax does not show this. It does show all the services done by a Jaguar dealer.Car looks good, has been well taken care, BUT what would you expect from a high mileage XKR or any xk jaguar as far as reliability? What things would have to be replaced with this kind of mileage before driving? I am asking what do ya'll think. I would rather have a later model XKR but this on looks good for the price. I would hate to buy a high mileage jag and have to spend 10K to fix it. Help please.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Jaguar...R/113997304609

Thanks

JDog

Old 12-05-2019, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

For those who know what they are doing its an absolute bargain.
If you dont, it could be the exact opposite.

Old 12-05-2019, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

One way to look at this is that it did make it to 103k. Usually cars that don't run well or have problems have low mileage. There are things to consider though at that mileage....
If you don't know about a trans fluid change, you will need one.
Diff fluid is also in need of change.
Brake fluid also.
People say the water pump is suspect, but mine is at 70k, original and has been inspected and declared in great shape.
Injectors may be a concern if oil changes were not followed and lower grade fuel was used. Not really a way to check those, however.
Pretty much everything else is obvious on a good look.
ONE OWNER is a good thing in this case.
Me, I'd look at it and make a deal if everything is copacetic.

The following users liked this post:
pk4144 (12-06-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 01:27 PM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

+1

It's a gamble but so is any used Jaguar. The concern is that you are thinking hard about the mileage now so it will be a similar situation when you come to sell. A lot of buyers will be put off.

That dealer certainly likes wheel pictures! When I finally got through them to the Monroney Sticker and the service records it suggests a careful owner who has done the appropriate maintenance. One owner, two keys, all that history - definitely worth a look and a test drive. The "look" I would be wanting is up on a four post lift.

Graham

Queen and Country (12-06-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 01:48 PM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I wonder if a phone call with the dealer could explain why it's priced where it is? Seems like a bargain, but maybe there's a reason

Old 12-05-2019, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 171 Posts

Dash leather is pulling / shrinking at top center of the vents.

Old 12-05-2019, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Buzzer
I wonder if a phone call with the dealer could explain why it's priced where it is? Seems like a bargain, but maybe there's a reason
There are a handful of these priced under $20K (some with much fewer miles on them) listed on Auto-trader.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:16 PM

Thanks Jagrag I did not see that.

JDog

Old 12-05-2019, 08:25 PM

OK I have been looking at this one too. It has 78,000 miles. Looks good but....... Everyone tell me what you think of this one.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

One big question that I always have is: XK or XKR. Does the xkr have more problems that the regular xk because of the supercharger? Which one is better?

JDog

Old 12-05-2019, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by JDog
....................One big question that I always have is: XK or XKR. Does the xkr have more problems that the regular xk because of the supercharger? Which one is better?...
The biggest difference; Once you drive an /R, you won't want to drive a non-/R.

About the only difference in reliability may be the SC torsion isolator. It's a buffer-type-bushing inside the SC snout. Sometimes (rarely) it gets messed up and needs changed. Even then, it's not a huge deal or cost to have it replaced.

The 2013 you linked does have some advantage over the 2011 due to the face-lifted front end and the reverse camera is at least an option whereas the 2011 doesn't. Plus two years newer. The 2013 also has gooey-sticky button coating, but that's evidently easy to rectify.
One big drawback from the listed 2013 is it's a Coupe, which would be a NO from me. Of course, you may like being in a can and away from all that nasty fresh air and sunshine.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 12-05-2019 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 12-05-2019, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

It depends on your level of fear tolerance. The 5.0L XK is fast. To the unsuspecting, flooring the 5.0L XKR exhilarator pedal will result in soiled underwear.

There is only one way that you can make that determination. You have to drive them both and then make an informed decision.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Buzzer (12-06-2019), Cee Jay (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

The car looks good in the ad and if the maintenance is up to date then it's probably a good deal. . At least you know that this car has been in constant service which is good for the health of the car. A lot depends on how long you are planning to keep the car. If you are going to keep it long term then the mileage isn't as important. if you plan to trade it in a few years then you might find it harder to sell or get less on a trade in. I'd guess that you aren't planning on using it as a daily driver and will probably put less than 5,000 miles a year on it. This was probably the daily for the first owner. In another ten years an additional 50,000 miles isn't going to seem unusual. That being said. a few weeks ago I went to look at a 2007 XKR covertible with only 37,000 miles on it. The dealer was asking a bit over what the high blue book value was, 21,500.00 opposed to 19,000.00 or less. A 12 year old car with so little mileage is pretty rare. Hopefully it was spent in the owner's garage and not the repair shop! Buyer Beware.

Last edited by Rivguy; 12-05-2019 at 09:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-06-2019, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

If it were me, in either case I would have it taken into a dealer for a PPI of the type run a CPO. I would also have a Jaguar approved body shop inspect the car for any past damage and repairs. Total cost $500-$650 and then you will have in your hands documentation as to what needs to be done with the car, if anything, which will aid you in your negotiation. Both vehicles look good but who knows without a ;proper inspection?

Old 12-06-2019, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

A 2011 xkr convertible is for sale on ebay with 103,000 miles.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Jaguar...R/113997304609
I have helped 2 other people here get their XK. This is the best one I have ever seen.
Its in amazing condition- having a hard time comprehending how 100,000 miles were done in it without a scuff on the bolster, not a scratch on the piano black center console, start button not worn out.
Its as if it did 100k miles without a human in it. No stone chips either, strangely.
No curb rash on the wheels. Not a spec of brake dust even inside the wheel. They are like brand new.
There are other signs of love and worship- the pin stripping, this was someone's baby! and someone old.
But wait there is more- ceramic coating and it came with complimentary 5 year/50k miles maintenance. So most of its critical life it was tended to the right way.

BTW, as comparison, the second car you posted, its still available because 6 months ago a forum member and I passed on it. Car is sketchy, dealer was even sketchier on the phone, told all kinds of fibs.

The peace of mind you are looking for starts at $40k or twice this cost. Dont overlook the price of a paint job cost more than a used engine.
At this age mileage somewhat becomes irrelevant as plastic, seals, will give way regardless of miles driven, in fact they have a better chance if they were exercised.
At this price even if nothing was done, you can do everything and come out ahead, than buying one with 50k miles and having the same problems.

This is like the opposite of most used cars, first owner walks away when 2 year lease is up, second gets out around 40, third gets out by 75.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 12-06-2019 at 01:36 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
Buzzer (12-06-2019), guy (12-06-2019), pk4144 (12-06-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 03:13 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

OK I have been looking at this one too. .....
When I'm looking for a used Jaguar I first sit down and work out the specification I want - model, year range, body, paint, trim. Only then do I scan the adverts. You have gone from looking at a Convertible to a Coupe and haven't made a decision between normally aspirated or supercharged. The only common factor between the two advertised is black paint.

For example, I'm presently looking at the F-Type. My specification list is:

Year: 2015 onwards
Body: Coupe
Paint: not black or white - blue, green, grey or red
Trim: not black seats
Engine: 3 litre
Transmission: not AWD

Other factors are:
one owner (never more than 2)
preferably Approved (equivalent of CPO)
full service history

The list for my current XK was similarly detailed and it took more than three months to find the right vehicle from the hundreds advertised around the country. It is exactly what I would have specified if I'd been buying the vehicle new.

You may not wish to go to the same level of detail but you do need to DRIVE both NA and SC XK's to make the first and critical decision of which engine before jumping around the adverts.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
pk4144 (12-06-2019), pwpacp (12-06-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Again, a ton of smart observations.
Agreed: decide what you want (XK vs XKR, Vert vs Coupe,year) FIRST. BEFORE you look.
I've owned Xk and XKR. The "smile factor" of the XKR is worth it for me every time I drive it. Including today.
I'm a convertible guy. Coupe is a non-starter for me.
Also: I really like the look of the 2010 upgrade.
So,for me: 2010 or later XKR Convertible. No question.
Also: I'm not a white or silver car guy. That knocks out another third.

ONE MORE THING that may help: I'm fortunate to have a terrific warranty and dealer service dept. I tell you this because every time I bring the car in, even to have it serviced, they SCOUR the car for anything they can get eh warranty to pay for.
Other than things specific to my car...
know that they have replaced ALL the control arms and bushings. (I do notice the difference) Also, BOTH the engine mounts, and one of the transmission mounts.
And, of course, the water pump.
Other work has been done, but of no concern to you.
My point: take the car to a Jag dealer and have them check, if nothing else, the bushings and mounts. I PROMISE YOU that they need work.
In terms of the powertrain (engine/trans) these high-mile numbers don't scare me at all.
Good luck!!!

Old 12-06-2019, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

OK I took a closer look. I'm a thousand percent with Queen and Country here.
This is EXACTLY my car, only a year newer (and higher miles).
100K miles? I promise you they resurfaced the wheels (no curb rash). That ain't cheap.
And the interior looks as good as mine.
So I'm sticking with my earlier assessment: check all control arms,bushings, mounts. Leverage that in negotiations.
Buy the car.

(As to those comments about "resale..." you're looking at a nine-year-old car with 100K miles on it. PLEASE tell me there will be no "resale..")

Last edited by pk4144; 12-06-2019 at 04:17 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

There is nothing I see that would dissuade me from buying it if it were the color and trim combination I wanted.
I find myself trying to convince myself I like the color and trim combination just to take a trip and buy it.
I do not have space for another car and something would have to go. Probably not my XK as it is my only tan interior, perhaps I'd sacrifice a Porsche.
Not looking to make extra life changes right now so it is safe from me for the moment.

The cranberry contrast stitching goes very well with the piano black and CF inserts.
The exterior of the car with red brake calipers and Kalimnos wheels are fantastic.

Everything has risk and for me personally I want to spend no more than an amount that I could immediately replace whatever I bought should it go kaput on day 1.
A jaguar like this is a horrible proposition to flip for a profit, but it is a great proposition if you can afford the risk and want something special.

It isn't the miles, it is the care minus the wear.
This looks to have a very good care minus wear ratio.
I also consider 2011 to be one of the best XKR years as it is the final year of the Toyota Supra styled front end.

The newer a car, the less time there has been to take its toll on it, and the more opportunity there would be for engineers to make improvements.

If this car were Kyanite Blue with Caramel and Walnut interior; rather than writing this post I'd be working on the account info to bid on it.
That said, my risk tolerance can afford it being a complete dud and scrapping it the day it arrives. Maybe you can't.
It does look well cared for, and that is what I would want if adding getting a XKR.
I would want to see underneath it before finalizing the deal and taking it home.

Last edited by Tervuren; 12-06-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
One big drawback from the listed 2013 is it's a Coupe, which would be a NO from me. Of course, you may like being in a can and away from all that nasty fresh air and sunshine.
Well he does live in Houston so.....

Cee Jay (12-06-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
I have helped 2 other people here get their XK. This is the best one I have ever seen.
Its in amazing condition- having a hard time comprehending how 100,000 miles were done in it without a scuff on the bolster, not a scratch on the piano black center console, start button not worn out.
Its as if it did 100k miles without a human in it. No stone chips either, strangely.
No curb rash on the wheels. Not a spec of brake dust even inside the wheel. They are like brand new.
There are other signs of love and worship- the pin stripping, this was someone's baby! and someone old.
But wait there is more- ceramic coating and it came with complimentary 5 year/50k miles maintenance. So most of its critical life it was tended to the right way.
No kidding. What fine specimen. Obviously mostly highway miles and immaculately kept.
It's a northeast car. It doesn't look like it was driven in the snow but I'd check the undercarriage for corrosion.

Quick Reply: 102,000 mile XKR Is it worth buying