XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

12' XJ vs 11' XKR

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 12' XJ vs 11' XKR

So I've been driving a new XJ for a couple days just to see what I think of it. First thing I notice is that steering wheel diameter is smaller and the ratio seems faster than my XKR. In other words the steering actually feels sportier

Anyone else notice that - or is it in my head?

Other thing I liked was the thick carpets with contrasting piping... Anybody know of some aftermarket mats that are more dense and special feeling?

Old 06-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

How about a more "in-depth" review of the XJ?

I drove a supercharged one for a day as a loaner and was very impressed with the car overall. I think the looks and the feel is far and above the competitors. The car drove very well, plenty of power and the handling was pretty much what I would expect from a large luxury sedan. The steering is rather quick for such a sedan but, worked for me.

In all probability it is my next car purchase. I would be happy with the XJ but, like the stretched outline of the XJL a bit more. Now I am waiting to see if the 2013s will have the 8-speed tranny, as well as wait go get my wife baited at the Jaguar event next month where she'll get a chance to drive one. It's time to trade her car, so it would be a natural choice.

Albert

Old 06-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

So I had the XJL and just turned it back in. I thought it was a bit too long for my taste. Otherwise it was nice. Great interior and the wife loved the back seat with class roof and let-out trays. Definitely feels opulent.

However, I suppose I expected a little more from the ride. It could have isolated the bumps better. For example a 7 series or even a 5 seems to ride better while still being sporty. The XF on the other hand seems to have this balance down. Power was ok but after driving an XKR all the time I'm a bit jaded.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Evoking
So I had the XJL and just turned it back in. I thought it was a bit too long for my taste. Otherwise it was nice. Great interior and the wife loved the back seat with class roof and let-out trays. Definitely feels opulent.

However, I suppose I expected a little more from the ride. It could have isolated the bumps better. For example a 7 series or even a 5 seems to ride better while still being sporty. The XF on the other hand seems to have this balance down. Power was ok but after driving an XKR all the time I'm a bit jaded.
Spot on! I also complained about the ride on this forum. The only thing I wish the new XJ would come with is smaller wheels and taller tire sidewalls to give that truly smooth and quiet luxury car ride. That is why the ride suffers, particularly if you get the one with the 20" wheels. I will definitely go for the 19" wheels, be that the smallest available. You could run 17" wheels on such sized car and still have it handle quite sporty.

The driver in me would want the shorter XJ but, I like the silhouette of the long wheelbase car. Since I will drive it mostly freeways, I will likely get the XJL. People on the XJ forum report mileages touching 30 highway MPG with the normally aspirated engine. Rather impressive for such a big car and likely to get even better with an 8 speed transmission.

Albert

Old 06-29-2012, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

My wife wants a new XJL. She really likes her 2005 VDP, but we're gonna start looking to get a new one next year - depends largely on what happens in November of this year.

Gonna have to go drive one.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

If Jag continues some of the good lease deals they've offered before; it's hard to say no!