XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2 questions - sale price and NJ inspection

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 questions - sale price and NJ inspection

Dear experts,

I have a 2012 XKR 175 and live in NJ, USA (second owner). the car is in very good shape with 34k miles, garage kept and not driven on salty roads. I love the car, but would like help on two questions:

1. I am thinking of moving to the west coast and selling the car here before I go. Is the 175 model worth any premium on the XKR resale price? (I know that this is not as much of a difference as the performance package in the UK 75 model). I am thinking of selling here because I think that a NJ origin car will fetch a lower price in the west. Feel free to add your comments to this thought also.

2. The car runs very well and is up to date on service, but just failed its NJ air quality inspection (has to be done every 2 yrs). Is this a problem others have had with these cars in their area? The inspection person suggested driving 200 miles and then trying again - is this good advice?

Thank you for any thoughts you have on these.
Rob

Old 05-20-2018, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Is your car a coupe or convertible? How many 175s were made? and where on the West Coast are you moving to? Answers to all of the above questions probably will have some impact on the value of your car. Also you can check the value in both areas on KBB.com by using different ZIP codes.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:34 AM
Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by RobAH
Is this a problem others have had with these cars in their area? The inspection person suggested driving 200 miles and then trying again - is this good advice?
Are any warning lights are on?

If you had recently disconnected the 12V battery prior to testing, that would be a reason to log some miles before trying to perform the emissions test.

If not, then better advice might be to find out what DTC had been logged which caused the engine ECU to report that it is not ready for emissions testing.

Then you might know whether it makes sense to drive 200 miles, or not.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

First, you need the car to pass inspection and have everything working before posting an ad.

Advertise the car nationally. These cars do not sell quick and who cares where they are from as long as the check clears.

I don't think there is a premium for any option packs beyond XKR-S and/or Alcon brakes. Buyers are swayed on the actual car rather than an option package.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:28 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

Unless you have modified the car, the Federal emissions warranty goes for 8 years or 80,000 miles. Read page 12 of your Jaguar Passport to Service.

I grew up in the mid-west and then lived in California for 30+ years and sold many cars both places. I found that people in California are not nearly as concerned where a car came from as people in the rust belt states. I know California and Arizona cars bring a premium in the rust belt. I don't think rust belt cars are discounted in California, unless they are obviously rusty. Most people in California have never seen a rusty car so it is just not a concern.

I seriously doubt the 175 option will bring a significant premium. There are a LOT more of these cars on the market than buyers. If a buyer is looking at two otherwise identical cars, it might sway him your way. If you want $1000 more than the other car, I doubt you will get it. More than likely the car will depreciate more than that while you are trying to find a buyer willing to pay a premium for the 175.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default response to questions from readers

Thank you all for the advice. Just for reference, answers are:
- this is a coupe not a convertible;
- no warning lights are on
- the battery was disconnected recently, a new one was installed and this was done by the dealer, so I hope the right reconnection procedures were followed.
- I am planning to move to the Seattle area
- I do not know the codes or have equipment to test them
- I understand 175 of the 175s were made. I am not sure if this is split between 2011 and 2012, I think that this is likely to be the case (and not 175 in each year).

Follow-up - I went back to the dealer who also gave some specific deriving suggestions to follow before re-test but I have not yet had time to get the re-test done.

Also, based on comments from all, I may decide to keep the car and bring it with me.

Rob