XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2006-2009 XKR buyer advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015 | 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfy
I read somewhere that most owners of convertibles (soft or hard-top) rarely if ever drop the top. I myself opened up my XK8 maybe 3 times during cruising in my 2 years of owning it. My friend never dropped down his SL500 when moving.

Cheers,
Wolfy
What a waste!

Many years ago I had an XR3i, and the top always came down unless it was raining. That was manual, but still no effort for much more fun.

I guess you either like top down or you don't.

Old 09-26-2015 | 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

I guess it's like owning a Land Rover, you drive it on paved roads 99% of the time and take it off road 1% of the time (either voluntarily or involuntarily) Open top cruising or off-roading may not be your style but you want to have that option for those rare occasions when your mood strikes or whatever.

Cheers,
Wolfy

Old 09-26-2015 | 05:14 PM

This side of the pond, maybe because we get so little quality sunshine, we drop the top at the slightest opportunity - I certainly do! Likewise when I had my SL500. How can you live in California where the sun always shines and only drop it 3 times in 2 years. It's nearly 30 years since I visited Orange County and San Francisco but the memory has stayed with me of perfect conditions for 'open top cruising'. But you're right, just having that option is what it's all about for me.

Old 09-26-2015 | 08:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Marco Polo
How can you live in California where the sun always shines and only drop it 3 times in 2 years.
I think the fabled California weather is definitely overrated. Most longtime Calif residents of desirable metropolitan areas in SF, LA, OC know that open-top cruising is often not desirable due to conditions of (1) air pollution (2) big-rig semi trucks everywhere kicking up road debris (3) crazy winter rainstorms and Santa Ana winds (4) just too scorching hot.

IMHO, the best months for topless cruising is MARCH - JUNE when the weather is the mildest with a gentle sun and warm breezes, but then there's still the man-made factors to make you think twice.

I am sure those living in the more remote parts of CA can chime in with a completely different response, but it is what it is. You pay for the convenience and live with the consequences.

Cheers,
Wolfy

Last edited by Wolfy; 09-26-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-26-2015 | 11:21 PM
Banned

Wow Wolfy I couldn't disagree with you any more...

I've owned 4 convertibles and will always have one in my stable. I lived in Valencia 10 years, Westlake Village 8 years, now San Diego for 5 years and the only time I had my top UP was during rain, when a date demanded that I do so, or if the sun was blazing on long road trips otherwise it's always down where it belongs. Have 46 years here in S Cal
#1 - Air pollution - addressed below
#2 - Road debris - seriously?!?! Are those trucks driving above you? I have yet to hear of there ever being an instance where debris from a truck entered a convertible
#3 - crazy winter rain storms - driven through one heading to lake Tahoe kept the top down on the highway had a great time driving through the rain with the top down never felt a drop it was pretty cool! If you see a rain drop on your windshield stop and pop the top... maybe happens two days a year where your caught by surprise? Is that really an issue?
#4 - Too hot - Driven in over 100 degree weather with the top down and AC on with great comfort, never been a problem unless in stop/go traffic. I do wear a hat though when it's that hot.

All said there's maybe 20-30 days a year where is doesn't make sense to put the top down but that's less than 10% of the time here in S Cal...

Air pollution... really?!?!! I lived in the Valley through the 70/80's and remember 3rd stage smog alerts growing up when you couldn't see the valley from the top of the Sepulveda pass only a mile or so away. Couldn't see the hills from the middle of the valley and it hurt to breathe those days, smog is hardly a concern today no clue where that came from.

I pay the rent for the great weather might as well enjoy it

Last edited by Leeper; 09-26-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-27-2015 | 12:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leeper
I lived in Valencia 10 years, Westlake Village 8 years, now San Diego for 5 years
Not sure which part of San Diego you reside in, but Valencia and Westlake Village are not exactly the densely populated L.A. suburbs/urban centers that I based my argument on. But whatever. Non-convertible people like me who own convertibles often need the 'perfect conditions' in which they would feel comfortable dropping the top.

I don't really care for the CA weather. I am a cold climate person. I only chose to live in So CA for the diversity of things to do, places to eat, and richness of the performing arts (I am a longtime patron of LA Opera, LA Phil, and Pacific Symphony of OC).

Old 09-27-2015 | 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Marco Polo
This side of the pond, maybe because we get so little quality sunshine, we drop the top at the slightest opportunity - .
The U.K. has a temperate climate where dropping the top, heated seats on and windows up would be possible 9/10 months of the year. Especially with the long days of Summer the opportunity abounds.

Hot climates bring the threat of skin cancers and uncomfortably hot sun that make the air-con the first thought, never mind air or noise pollution. Just another perspective

Old 09-27-2015 | 05:24 AM

I can understand the problems that you guys have with heat and pollution - I lived in Hong Kong for six years and have spent a lot of time working in the Gulf. The OP lives in Essex, UK so his choice will not be affected by those extremes. I guess that the temperate UK climate is probably the best suited to open top driving all year round more so than anywhere else. We're spoilt but don't know it!

Old 09-27-2015 | 07:25 AM

...reminds me of a drive down the A303 in the XR3i with the top down and my 2 teenage (then) boys in the back...

Top down on a lovely English road through the rolling downs, pretty villages and past Stonehenge. We met a light drizzle, no damp in the front seats as the airflow throws any drops over our heads. Suggested we break to raise the top but the boys were insistant we keep the top down.

We stopped for coffee 30 minutes later and discovered 2 soggy but giggling teenagers in the back.