XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2006 XK Door glass adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 XK Door glass adjustment

Hi everyone,

I have been a keen guest reader of this forum for a while but now that I have a Jag of my own I find I have a good reason for my first post.

I have a problem adjusting the door window glass to make the top of the glass at the rear of the window move inwards so that it is flush with the small quarter windows. Photo 04 shows the problem.

I can't find anything that covers this subject for the X150 (the XK8 window is similar but not identical) so I thought I would document my findings which others may find helpful, but also someone may be able to explain why the adjustment does not appear to work.

Working from the manual, you do not have to dismantle the door panel, there are two screws under small plastic caps at the base of the door which make this in-out horizontal adjustment. See photo 01.

I tried adjusting the rear one but it was stiff and had no apparent effect. As I was concerned about causing damage if I forced the screw, I decided to take the door panel off and look inside to see how it works.

Photo 01 shows the inner door panel once you have removed the door trim. I removed all the screws retaining the inner panel so that I could peek inside.

Photos 02 and 03 show the glass adjuster screw at the rear of the door. From this you can see that the ajuster has a left-hand thread on the inner half (ie the bit you turn with the hex key) and the outer half has a right-hand thread. So, to move the base of the track outwards, you must turn the adjuster anti-clockwise. This moves the screw into the door space and moves the track thread further out along the adjuster screw thus doubling the amount of movement for for a turn of the screw.

So I had apparently solved it - unscrew the adjuster, that moves the screw into the door (ie outwards from the centre of the car) and the base of the track also moves outwards car thus tilting the top of the window glass inwards. When I adjusted the screw I could see the track moving as expected.

Unfortunately making this adjustment has no effect on the top of the window - with the adjuster fully in or fully out it is just the same.

So my question is - has anyone made this work?

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Best regards

Ray

Attached Thumbnails 2006 XK Door glass adjustment-01-door-glass-adjusters.jpg   2006 XK Door glass adjustment-02-adjuster-inside-door.jpg   2006 XK Door glass adjustment-03-adjuster-inside-door.jpg   2006 XK Door glass adjustment-04-glass-out-top-rear.jpg  
Old 05-14-2014, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Here's the relevant bit of the workshop manual:

2006 XK Door glass adjustment-screen-shot-2014-05-15-00.36.27.jpg2006 XK Door glass adjustment-screen-shot-2014-05-15-00.36.51.jpg

Old 05-15-2014, 05:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ngarara, that documents the theory and confirms what I did should work - has anyone had any luck in practice I wonder?

Old 12-23-2014, 06:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Ray,

Did you ever get this sorted out? Those 2 diagrams that Ngarara supplied are helpful...to actually see what you were describing.

I recently purchased a 2008 XK with the exact problem you have (or had?), but mine turned a bit more complex as I asked the Jaguar dealer if they could fix it.

They did get the window pretty flush at the top, but they also moved the entire window to the back. So the front window is very close to the rear (a little less than a quarter of an inch). As from the factory there's more space between the two (a little less than a half inch).

Right now all I should need to do is move the front window toward the front of the car just a bit (a little less than a quarter of an inch, since the dealer seemed to correct the rear/top part sticking out a bit).

Anyway, I should take it back to them, but may try this myself, that why I'm curious if you got it sorted out and perhaps have further tips.

Thanks...Mark

Old 12-23-2014, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

If the door window cannot be properly aligned at the top, or cannot be adjusted properly so it is aligned in all planes, then the rear quarter window position may need to be adjusted. The rear seats and the rear interior trim needs to be removed to access these adjustments.

In your case though, I would try the other door adjustments first.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-23-2014 at 07:11 PM.