XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2007-2009 XKR - Anyone replaced Stereo/electronics etc. Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 09:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2007-2009 XKR - Anyone replaced Stereo/electronics etc. Cost?

I'm looking at the 2007-2009 Jaguar XKR models. Personally love the look of that year. One thing I'd like to do to the car however is get the stereo replaced professionally with an upgraded system such as touch screen stereo, that has a USB port and can potentially install rear view cameras. Anyone had this or similar work done and what did it cost? I was thinking $2k-$3k, but I could be way off here.

If you did replace it, how did you feel about the work?

Old 04-18-2016, 09:25 AM
Received 443 Likes on 186 Posts

You're not the only one with this desire. Problem is there is no way to integrate the HVAC and other functions the current touch screen has into an aftermarket unit. There is a way to install USB/iPod integration (via the kit from Jag called the "ACM"). The rear camera is not as elegant. You have to integrate it into the NAV screen then push a button to get the rear view. WhiteXKR is working on a kit that would automatically select the camera when you put the car in reverse but no word on it's completion date.

Welcome to the craptastic world of integrated touch screens.

The following 2 users liked this post by flyc2c:
Badnames (05-03-2016), Lucielle (10-09-2022)
Old 04-18-2016, 11:07 AM

Definitely a drawback of newer cars and integrated screens. Thanks for the info on the ACM. I saw you mentioned WhiteXKR, is that a company or another member? I'm a little new to the forums >_

Old 04-18-2016, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,012 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Originally Posted by Badnames
Definitely a drawback of newer cars and integrated screens. Thanks for the info on the ACM. I saw you mentioned WhiteXKR, is that a company or another member? I'm a little new to the forums >_
WhiteXKR is another member who as a website for his upgrade kits at 'theJagWrangler.com'.
He has a great kit for convertible owners to control the top from your key fob.

The following 2 users liked this post by kj07xk:
Old 04-18-2016, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

If you're looking for the 4.2L XKR, let me suggest the 2009 XKR Portfolio Convertible since it was the top-of-the-line model with only 2 options: Alcon Performance Brakes and Adaptive Cruise Control. The exterior color was Shadow Gray with 20" Selena wheels (both exclusive to the Portfolio), the soft top was either black or gray, and the interior was either Charcoal with Cranberry stitching or 2-tone Slate/Ivory with either Rich Oak wood veneer or spun aluminum dash trim. The entire interior is genuine leather, including the binding around the leaper logo floor mats. The upgraded stereo is by Bowers & Wilkins and includes an iPod connector in the arm rest and steering wheel/touchscreen functionality. It might take a while to find one because only 200 XKR Portfolio convertibles were made in 2009. BTW, mine is NFS.

Listen to the Bowers & Wilkins system. It's waaay better than the standard Alpine system.

The following users liked this post:
Badnames (05-03-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 06:34 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

To be clear is it an "upgraded stereo" or upgraded speakers and possibly a different amp but the same stereo?

The problem you'll run into with Jaguar, and most cars today, is that the stereo is integrated with the climate control and other functions (heated seats heated steering wheel, many of the vehicle odometer settings, etc) so it's no longer a factor of just changing out a stereo or stereo/nav system. Car stereo shops are hurting and will continue to as mfg's want to have bigger more comprehensive screens that do more stuff thus as proprietary. Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, Denon, etc are phasing out of making stereo's

Last edited by Leeper; 04-18-2016 at 06:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Leeper:
Old 04-20-2016, 07:01 PM
Received 443 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
To be clear is it an "upgraded stereo" or upgraded speakers and possibly a different amp but the same stereo?
From what little research I've done it seems the source is the same. The B&W system adds different speakers and amps along with some signal processing.

Badnames (05-03-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 09:42 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts
The following 3 users liked this post by guy:
Badnames (05-03-2016), Lucielle (10-09-2022), Stuart S (04-27-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

I am the supplier to one of the companies mentioned in the video.
As a way of helping fellow Jaguar enthusiasts out I am developing something much better.

This is fine, but it focuses on the wrong side of the problem. Especially in the 2010 MY and above.

The thing to keep in mind is that the source quality has changed dramatically. Think of CD, SAT, and Radio like playing cassette tapes. Sure you can improve the sound marginally by adding better amps and drivers- but when you change from cassette to cd, the same amp and drivers are improved much more.

Even the equalization in the video, is much better if done 3 stages before that was being done.

My goal is to make Jaguar tops, sound and more features than any car coming off the assembly line. Easily done, I have done so for my company and we consistently out rank Harmon, the company who actually designed your b&w amplifier system (since BW is not an electronics manufacturer). The B&W drivers are good though. The merridian system is a joke. We will massively improve it. Ironically utilizing a technology that Merridian is about to launch.

The following 3 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
Badnames (05-03-2016), guy (04-27-2016), Lucielle (10-09-2022)
Old 04-26-2016, 11:10 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

While not really an audiophile, I consider myself appreciative of nicer sounding systems.

I installed Audison signal processing / amplification / and speakers into another vehicle that also had integrated touchscreen functionality.

I ended up with a pretty nice SQ system. Wider range, better imaging, etc.

I wish I hadn't though. To me the $4k+ that it cost wasn't really worth it. (Labor was about $1500 of that). I realized afterwards that the better route is to pay for the optional upgraded stereo (if available) up front and avoid any aftermarket modding if at all possible.

Even 'clean' aftermarket installs result in stuff being cut and things behind panels moved or re-routed. Unintended 'stuff' can happen. You also don't get your 'money back' when you sell the car. The best you can do is pay even more money (or time) to remove the aftermarket stuff and hope everything can be 'put back' to original.

I would only suggest that people who see an install as a fun personal project, that they put their own labor into, tackle an aftermarket stereo upgrade.

...or those who have money that just requires setting afire.

Badnames (05-03-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Slee_Stack
While not really an audiophile, I consider myself appreciative of nicer sounding systems.

I installed Audison signal processing / amplification / and speakers into another vehicle that also had integrated touchscreen functionality.

I ended up with a pretty nice SQ system. Wider range, better imaging, etc.

I wish I hadn't though. To me the $4k+ that it cost wasn't really worth it. (Labor was about $1500 of that). I realized afterwards that the better route is to pay for the optional upgraded stereo (if available) up front and avoid any aftermarket modding if at all possible.

Even 'clean' aftermarket installs result in stuff being cut and things behind panels moved or re-routed. Unintended 'stuff' can happen. You also don't get your 'money back' when you sell the car. The best you can do is pay even more money (or time) to remove the aftermarket stuff and hope everything can be 'put back' to original.

I would only suggest that people who see an install as a fun personal project, that they put their own labor into, tackle an aftermarket stereo upgrade.

...or those who have money that just requires setting afire.
Yes my solution is entirely different, no wire cutting, no monkey business. They do all that because they are not a manufacturer, rather aftermarket installers.

Our approach will be: 'what if Jaguar had to redesign to meet today's needs and fidelity'. The problem Jag has is that it take 3 years or more for the development cycle of a car. Well, in the last 3 years, each year has been the equivalent of a decade in terms of advancement in electronic components. and the way music is played.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
Old 04-27-2016, 04:50 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
I am the supplier to one of the companies mentioned in the video. As a way of helping fellow Jaguar enthusiasts out I am developing something much better. This is fine, but it focuses on the wrong side of the problem. Especially in the 2010 MY and above. The thing to keep in mind is that the source quality has changed dramatically. Think of CD, SAT, and Radio like playing cassette tapes. Sure you can improve the sound marginally by adding better amps and drivers- but when you change from cassette to cd, the same amp and drivers are improved much more. Even the equalization in the video, is much better if done 3 stages before that was being done. My goal is to make Jaguar tops, sound and more features than any car coming off the assembly line. Easily done, I have done so for my company and we consistently out rank Harmon, the company who actually designed your b&w amplifier system (since BW is not an electronics manufacturer). The B&W drivers are good though. The merridian system is a joke. We will massively improve it. Ironically utilizing a technology that Merridian is about to launch.
Well, i.look forward to your solutions!

The following 2 users liked this post by guy:
Old 04-27-2016, 05:32 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

another thing to consider is that even if our systems were sounding good some 10 or slightly less years ago by virtue of just age and use they deteriorate, that is for speakers not the amps or stereo itself. There are many (MB Quart, Focal, even some Polk Audio) to name a few that will fit into the factory spots and deliver FAR better sound at a very reasonable cost (likely under $500) no need to build a box or add subs unless your going for ganstah sound. Depends on the type of music you listen to and the volume too but those will improve over stock either Alpine or B&W by leaps and bounds not really a need to go $3000 at a stereo shop, cut into your car, or add additional amps and such unless you want incrementally better sound.

The following 3 users liked this post by Leeper:
Badnames (05-03-2016), Cee Jay (04-27-2016), Sean W (05-03-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Believe it or not, your OEM drivers are far better than mb quart and polk. Infinitely better.
Unless they have foam surrounds, they will get better with age. One caveat I dont know what drivers Jag was using prior to 2010. Someone post a pic or if you kept your old drivers read some numbers off for me.

See the aftermarket guys dont give a rat's **** about 3 things paramount to OEMs. Weight, efficiency and Clarity. Every ounce matters to OEM's those other drivers weigh twice as much if not 4times. Also you need way more power to drive them because they are inefficient.-which means additional amplifiers and wires, thus weight. Then dont forget the charging system.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
Badnames (05-03-2016), Lothar52 (04-29-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 08:16 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Badnames, to your original question re: ‘what does it cost?’ It can vary from a couple of hundred to $4.5k depending on how far you go, the components you use and what you do yourself. I agree with the touchscreen replacement comments; I haven’t seen anyone replace that because of the integration. As for the audio… good audio is definitely a personal preference thing, as this thread affirms. The video below is mine. I absolutely love the car but didn’t love the sound from the premium Alpine setup and had to do something about it; if I had enjoyed the factory sound, I wouldn’t have spent a dime. There are several threads on this (search Gn4hir, manicguitarist, ‘aftermarket speakers’ and others) – and each of us have done fundamentally the same thing. I think the best first thing to do, and the cheapest, is replace the front speakers with aftermarket 6.5”/165mm speakers (as multistrada74 did recently with Alpine SPR-60C). For between $200-350, it is easily something you can do yourself in a couple of hours. I’m not sure what the OEM speakers are rated at, but aftermarket tend to be 88-93dB sensitivity and, again personal preference, will automatically give you better volume, midrange depth and clarity from the same setup. From there, adding an amplifier, signal processing, a sub, etc. get more expensive but each provide levels of improvement. Input quality is key, which is where Queen and Country is going; it’s important to get the best quality source signal before you amplify it. Today, that’s adding ACM as a line-in source to the existing head unit and CD, XM, radio sources. Good luck. Feel free to PM me if I can help.

The following 2 users liked this post by bart_redline99:
Old 05-01-2016, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Originally Posted by queen and country
Unless they have foam surrounds, they will get better with age.......
hahahahahaaaa!!!!

Badnames (05-03-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
hahahahahaaaa!!!!
What.

Badnames (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 01:16 PM

I haven't been able to check back in a little while. Thanks for the wealth of information related to this. Truly impressed by the amount of responses!

Lucielle (10-09-2022)
Old 06-21-2016, 11:24 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts
Default speaker upgrade tweeter only

I replaced my Jaguar tweeters with these Infinity ones today. Worlds of difference in clarity and depth which allows more volume without distortion. I used the crossovers that came with them. The crossover fit right down in the opening of the door card. The speakers fit nicely into the existing trim ring. But if you look at the large pic you will see the slit in the ring is expanded a bit on the LH side since the speaker is pushed through. I am worried it will stress and crack like that so I am going to just set the ring on the speaker and bond the speaker edge (which is encased) to the inner ring in some semi-permanent way. Then the ring will be closed. If the speaker ever blows I may need a new ring I suppose but I suspect that will be a long time from now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Infinity Kappa 10.11t 3/4" soft dome tweeters at Crutchfield.com

Infinity Kappa 3/4" Soft Dome Tweeters-Pair (Black)
3/4 inch Flush or Surface mount Car Audio Tweeters (Pair)
RMS Power Handling: 5-50 watts | Peak Power Handling: 150 watts
Impedance: 2 Ohms
Top-mount depth: 3/4"
Cutout Diameter: 1" 15/16"
frequency response: 3,500-35,000 Hz
sensitivity: 93 dB

Electrical diagram here: section 16. Thanks Jimbov8
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...xk-how-121629/

If I read it correctly there is a white/blue wire (positive) and a yellow wire on one tweeter. The other has a white/green (positive) lead and a red/white lead.

Attached Thumbnails 2007-2009 XKR - Anyone replaced Stereo/electronics etc.  Cost?-img_1982-2-tweet-new-2a.jpg   2007-2009 XKR - Anyone replaced Stereo/electronics etc.  Cost?-img_1983-tweet-new1.jpg   2007-2009 XKR - Anyone replaced Stereo/electronics etc.  Cost?-tweet-old-2007-xk.jpg  

Last edited by Jacsun; 06-21-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Lucielle (10-09-2022)
Old 06-21-2016, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

Badnames:

See post #5 above.

If you have a genuine interest in a 2009, I have a 2009 Jaguar Portfolio Edition Convertible (See signature below) with 17600 original miles. Jaguar XKR is in excellent to showroom condition.

PM if you have an interest. My 2009 XKR does have a USB port in the center console, that I have about 2000 songs on the thumb drive and use that on a regular basis.

As Stuart S stated above these are very hard to find. Only 200 verts made for the USA in 2009 MY.

Here's a quick link to my 2009 XKR with 34 images.

https://2009jaguarxkrportfolioeditio...m/pictures/9#9

Quick Reply: 2007-2009 XKR - Anyone replaced Stereo/electronics etc. Cost?