XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2007 4.2 coupe intermittent multiple errors car shutdown

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 11:16 AM
Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by forrestgk
I've had these same symptoms several times over the last three years. I might use the car for months without it happening and then, out of the blue I get restricted performance and errors. I've watched the faults popping up when it happens and I see things like the park brake and CATS failure popping up first.
So far, I've been able to pull over, turn off the car, and wait for a minute. I restart and it starts just fine, but with CEL illuminated, so I turn off and restart again. CEL doesn't come back on and everything is fine.
It does seem like a bad ground or something causing reset with the rear control module maybe, then things cascade from there.
Changed battery earlier this year. The voltage is definitely better and it's still happened about three times.
The only common thing I think I've noted is that it seems to happen when I've accelerated (not even hard) from a stop and the trans is shifting.
I have 126K miles on mine and I recently switched out the trans with a used one that has 59K a few weeks ago. I am waiting to see if that change helps, but the problem is so intermittent I won't know for a while.
Following up on my earlier post last year, I can report my experience after changing my transmission.

I had NO problems with the vehicle going into restricted performance for four months now. NONE!
Usually, I would have experienced at least two of these failures in that period of time.

I will add that one month ago I had to change the battery because it took a total dump within a week or so. Most mornings I couldn't even start the car, but for three months before that point, and to this day, no faults causing restricted performance at all.

I have been convinced that the transmission was the potential cause, because the problems only ever happened when accelerating from a stop and shifting up.
It could have been poor electrical connections to the transmission or a poor ground connection - Or maybe the old tranny was just too far gone, and shifts loaded the electrical system too much - I really don't know, but the fact is I seem to have cured my problem with a transmission switch.

The following 2 users liked this post by forrestgk:
1 of 19 (03-18-2022), Cee Jay (03-15-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 11:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should update too, I changed the positive battery terminal cable, it was corroded, and it didn’t fail again.

Old 03-16-2022, 08:02 PM
Received 184 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by steely
I should update too, I changed the positive battery terminal cable, it was corroded, and it didn’t fail again.
Me thinks that was the main offender and a ground to the Trans. Doesnt matter now that you have the issue sorted.