XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2007 conv top woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 10:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2007 conv top woes

Hi Everyone,
After 3 uneventful summers our top has screwed up, luckily in our garage.. Battery was on a maintainer over the winter, hoped to put the top down for a first quick drive this aft'n, but it was not to be.
Motor started up fine, windows went down, top unlatched and stopped about 2-3in from the header.. so out with the book.
Managed to stow it manually, reset the windows, it came to life and closed back to that same position; would not push down and latch.
But it did go back to the open position again, only with a nasty noise from behind my head!! The sliding plastic piece hooked to the frame had become jammed and is now not hooked on to the cable..
I ***-u-me that the controller is looking for a signal to go to the next step, or??
Have been searching in previous posts and the manual but it is now tooo late and getting confused.
So hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.
Many thanks
Trevor

Old 05-03-2017, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,213 Likes on 918 Posts

Get in touch with the Jaguar Wrangler. His website is TheJagWrangler - Home - About Us. He is very knowledgeable about X150 convertible tops, is a member of the forum and is an all around good guy. He invented and makes the remote convertible top controller. He may be able to help you. Good luck. If I could remember his forum handle I would supply it. However, you can find it on the first page of this forum under remote top controller give away.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,040 Likes on 1,366 Posts

You're looking for 'WhiteXKR'.
Steve's the man with the answers.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,989 Likes on 2,125 Posts

OK, there are two separate problems you have to deal with now.

Try to untangle the slide that is jammed and get it back in its track, using the working slide as a reference. If it is damaged, remove it or tape it open for for the time being. The top will work if the slide is stuck open, but you will have interference if it is stuck closed.

Now drop the top again. Do it manually again if necessary. This time reset the windows again, but repeat the window reset sequence at least 3 times. The window reset does not always 'take' the first time. Also make sure you are resetting BOTH windows in both the full up AND full down position each time. The 'pause' you are seeing is a sign that the windows were not reset properly. (Note that if you continue holding the roof button for at least 30 seconds when the roof motion pauses, it usually will resume and complete the cycle even if the windows are not reset).

After you are up and running, if you still have a broken slide to repair, search the forum, there are several postings about this. Repair kits are available for the slides from a dealer for around $100 if there is physical damage to the slide.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-04-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Default No luck yet...

Thank you Steve for once again sharing your knowledge of these things with us.
Have had problems with the windows in the past, (auto reversing), touchy things, but after multiple resets the top still stops in that same spot, and holding the switch for a minute + did not get passed it.
Note: if I release the switch, then push again to close I can hear the pump? run for about 2 secs then stop.??
From that position it will fully open okay. (the slider is back in its tracks and springs to the forward position out of the way)
Tried it with the door windows up and they dropped down automatically when closing started.
Going to try pulling the system fuse, #8, next for awhile.
Should I try to complete the manual closing? Release hydraulics, push down front and latch with allen key?
Many thanks
Trevor

Old 05-04-2017, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,989 Likes on 2,125 Posts

I was going to suggest removing fuse number #8 for a couple of minutes next to re-initialize the controller. Then do the window resets and try the top again.

The following users liked this post:
qcktvr (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 02:50 PM
Default No change

Hello again, had that #8, 5A fuse, out for a few minutes, reset the windows a couple more times (hold up 'til closed, release and hold up again for 3 or 4 secs, same again for down. Repeat with other door; x 3..)
The top rails over the doors are not going to the final straight position.
May start on that inside trim panel to re-attach the slide puller while I think about what next; maybe manually cycle the header latches??
Have been reading more older posts, sure seems that the reset process often works.
Car has been off of a charger for a couple of weeks, but cranks and fires up like a champ, but will hook up to a bigger one and check volts
Trevor

Old 05-04-2017, 03:13 PM
Default Feeling better..

Hello again, just back from the garage and feeling better..
Checked the volts, 12.4v sitting and 14.2 with motor running..
Got the key to cycle the header latches AND noticed that they were in the "latched" position, a pretty good reason for the cycle to not complete I think.
Have no idea when they went to that condition though?
Opened them with the manual crank, powered the roof down, double checked the windows and it closed and latched normally.
Now to be brave and try opening it again.... it is cool and raining today so good to be in a garage.
It would be good to know why it decided to fail on its first opening of the year..
Anyway, fingers crossed am off to try putting it down again... then will think about fixing that sliding piece..
Many, many thanks for the advice so far, it is so easy to panic when dealing with this stuff and being some distance from anyone with professional knowledge. While good to be retired and have the time to tinker there are limited funds for spending on toys..
Regards

Old 05-04-2017, 04:16 PM

Yes, down and up twice and with no problems.
Thank you Steve for being so optimistic that it was a reset issue, I might have given up...
I had difficulty finding the tonneau release cable and had started to remove the trunk trim to locate it, so that can go back together now, and then on to reconnecting the pull cord for that sliding plastic cover/thingy; looks as if I may have to remove the interior trim panel to see if what it was hooked to is still there?
Out with a mirror first though..
Then I will be trying to find out why the drivers door is not locking... always something..
Again, many thanks..
Trevor

Old 05-04-2017, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

Adversity build confidence good sir. Sounds like your confidence in troubleshooting the system is increasing. Good luck and keep at it.

Many years ago I had a ragged out '69 Torino GT vert, 351w and 4 speed that spent most of it's time with the lid down. Snowy nights were amazing when dressed for it and doughnuts in parking lots was a lot more exhilarating with the top down.