XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2007 Jaguar XK or BMW 335i?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2007 Jaguar XK or BMW 335i?

Hey all, I just turned 16 and I am stuck between the Jaguar XK and the 335i. For those who say that I will be irresponsible with the car, I have driven my father's 2012 Dodge Charger R/T Max for a year responsibly. So my questions are: which car is more reliable? Which car gets better gas mileage? Which car costs more to maintain? Which car would be the best daily driver (as I am going to use it to drive to school every day)? Thanks in advance!

Old 07-19-2013, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Peat the Pickle
Hey all, I just turned 16 and I am stuck between the Jaguar XK and the 335i. For those who say that I will be irresponsible with the car, I have driven my father's 2012 Dodge Charger R/T Max for a year responsibly. So my questions are: which car is more reliable? Which car gets better gas mileage? Which car costs more to maintain? Which car would be the best daily driver (as I am going to use it to drive to school every day)? Thanks in advance!
Wow, age 16 and your considering a Jaguar XK or BMW. First of all, you're one lucky young man. At age 61, I just got my first Jaguar XKR and can't even think what it would have been like to be 16 and driving an Jaguar XK.

You will be the talk of the class, the stud, that student attracts the young ladies. You might even be elected as class President.

If your able to get the Jaguar, get it. Hands down, class, luxury, performance. There are lots of BMW's around, and not many Jaguar XK's. I assume your considering the 2007 Jaguar XK convertible?

Don't worry about gas mileage, cost or repairs etc. The BMW and Jaguar are so close in these categories it doesn't matter.

Get the Jag, Peat, you won't be sorry. Couldn't even think of a better everyday driver.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by richzak
Wow, age 16 and your considering a Jaguar XK or BMW. First of all, you're one lucky young man. At age 61, I just got my first Jaguar XKR and can't even think what it would have been like to be 16 and driving an Jaguar XK.

You will be the talk of the class, the stud, that student attracts the young ladies. You might even be elected as class President.

If your able to get the Jaguar, get it. Hands down, class, luxury, performance. There are lots of BMW's around, and not many Jaguar XK's. I assume your considering the 2007 Jaguar XK convertible?

Don't worry about gas mileage, cost or repairs etc. The BMW and Jaguar are so close in these categories it doesn't matter.

Get the Jag, Peat, you won't be sorry. Couldn't even think of a better everyday driver.
Alright man thanks! I will probably get a coupe and it sounds like the way to go.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:19 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Peat - My first luxury car was in 1997 when I ordered a new 1998 BMW 318i. It was a 4 door sedan with black over tan leather interior. I was very fond of that car as it was my first luxury driver and never had an issue with it // the purchase and drive-away will be something that I will never forget. Over the years I have since traded-in to Mercedes-Benz and now up to Jaguar.

I have owned various Jaguar cars from an X-Type, to an S-Type, and now to an XJ. Jaguars are unlike any of the previous cars I've owned. They are great drivers cars and the exterior styling and rich interior leathers and woods exude class and luxury. It's an experience and emotional connection that can't be described. I've found Jaguars just as reliable as my first BMW.

So, as far as reliability I can only say they are probably equal // and that is based on my personal experience.

However, Jaguars are rare sights on the road // the 2007 XK being a very beautiful car.

I am with Rich on this one.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

I was in the market for a 335i when I stumbled across my XK.

With this comparison, you get both good and bad news.

The wins (there are many) for the 335i are:
Versatility (IE getting groceries, carrying more than one passenger, usable cargo space)
Abundant performance mods (mild to wild)
AWD option (335ix)
Manual trans option
Very large group of owners and clubs with a younger average age.
Better electronics
Long term depreciation wins for the BMW as well

335i Fails
Reliability. (High Pressure fuel pump failures have many owners complaining the car spends more time at the dealership than home in the garage.)
Dime a dozen/common car.

The Jag wins:
Exclusive looks (you do get looked at an awful lot!)
Reliability
Superior build and interior quality
Superior long distance driver

Jag Fails:
Interior Technology.... (Easily outdated and outclassed by Hyundai's made years earlier.)
Performance. (XK has lackluster power and easily overshadowed by lesser cars. XKR is a dream car with power to match the good looks.)
Zero mods or upgrades for performance (What you buy is what you live with)
Limited cargo (lack of fold down rear seats really puts you in a bind some times)

There are a few to start your research with... best of luck in your decision!

Old 07-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

I would vote for the 335i. It's more engaging to drive, and it's more your age.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by CleverName
I was in the market for a 335i when I stumbled across my XK.

With this comparison, you get both good and bad news.

The wins (there are many) for the 335i are:
Versatility (IE getting groceries, carrying more than one passenger, usable cargo space)
Abundant performance mods (mild to wild)
AWD option (335ix)
Manual trans option
Very large group of owners and clubs with a younger average age.
Better electronics
Long term depreciation wins for the BMW as well

335i Fails
Reliability. (High Pressure fuel pump failures have many owners complaining the car spends more time at the dealership than home in the garage.)
Dime a dozen/common car.

The Jag wins:
Exclusive looks (you do get looked at an awful lot!)
Reliability
Superior build and interior quality
Superior long distance driver

Jag Fails:
Interior Technology.... (Easily outdated and outclassed by Hyundai's made years earlier.)
Performance. (XK has lackluster power and easily overshadowed by lesser cars. XKR is a dream car with power to match the good looks.)
Zero mods or upgrades for performance (What you buy is what you live with)
Limited cargo (lack of fold down rear seats really puts you in a bind some times)

There are a few to start your research with... best of luck in your decision!
Wow thanks for the comparison! It really helps.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Don't underestimate how much of a positive having a manual transmission is. The XK/XKR does a very good imitation but it can never match the tactile feel of nailing a perfectly executed heel-toe revmatched downshift entering a curve.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:45 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

How is he going to fit friends in the back seat of an XK coupe?

Old 07-20-2013, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Muddydog
How is he going to fit friends in the back seat of an XK coupe?
That is another very good point!

Old 07-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I'd go for the XK, the 335i's with run flats ride is not so great and steering feels heavy. XK is way cooler and you'll double or triple the amount of girls you'll score in that car over any BMW. XK is reliable and the more you drive it, the more you'll understand all that went into and why. Jaguar did a lot to get this car right from a driver's perspective. At first, some say it's soft with light steering, but once you drive it on all sorts of roads and get it to 100+, all sinks in "Jag knew what they were doing"

Get the XK on a lift and you'll be impressed with detail and thought to all the pieces. BMW's are a dime a dozen and no matter how cool the one you'll buy, someone else has a cooler one. XK is another league in IMO.

One piece of advice, don't *******ize the car. Leave it as is and just drive it.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:07 PM

Thanks for all the replies! I think right now I am leaning towards the XK because of it being more reliable and i can fit my golf clubs in the back. I don't really care about rear seat space because I doubt I will have more than 3 people in my car at once. What I am mainly worried about is gas mileage and reliability (I'm not going to mod my car, but I will get new rims).

Old 07-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

What I am mainly worried about is gas mileage and reliability (I'm not going to mod my car, but I will get new rims).
Gas mileage? The XK is a V8. On highway, it gets in the mid 20's and around town the lower teen's. The engine is as reliable as a V8 can be. This is my 2nd Jag and neither have ever left me stranded. Add up the difference (let's say for 30K miles) at a couple of different gas mileage standards. BMW is probably 20% better mileage than XK. The end dollar number is not too convincing in long run.

New rims? Is there a specific one you have in mind? Honestly, I think Jaguar is making some of the nicer looking OEM wheels along with Porsche, Ferrari, and Lamborghini... Save the money for the lack of gas mileage or fear of reliability. You'll go through tires pretty quick and that runs about $250ish a corner.

I remember when I was young, I liked the idea of wheels, stereos, body kits, etc... As I got older, I came to the conclusion "Want cooler wheels? Buy a cooler car." Not only that, but aftermarket wheels make the car more tempting the thieves and the Law. Mr. Officer will notice and hassle you more if the car is not OEM.

My Jag mechanic has said to me over the years, that a Jag is better off with OEM parts. It's not like a Honda or Ford where other people are making better options for the Jag. Jag has it figured out and staying with what they thought of is the most trouble free. Some don't put trouble free first and their happy to play around, but it sounds like you are not that kind of guy (nor am I). The XK is my daily driver.

I what model years are fitting your budget?

Old 07-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Received 4,334 Likes on 3,744 Posts

Good advice all around - BMW's are a dime a dozen - how many others in your class will have a Jag??

Old 07-20-2013, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Gas mileage? The XK is a V8. On highway, it gets in the mid 20's and around town the lower teen's. The engine is as reliable as a V8 can be. This is my 2nd Jag and neither have ever left me stranded. Add up the difference (let's say for 30K miles) at a couple of different gas mileage standards. BMW is probably 20% better mileage than XK. The end dollar number is not too convincing in long run.

New rims? Is there a specific one you have in mind? Honestly, I think Jaguar is making some of the nicer looking OEM wheels along with Porsche, Ferrari, and Lamborghini... Save the money for the lack of gas mileage or fear of reliability. You'll go through tires pretty quick and that runs about $250ish a corner.

I remember when I was young, I liked the idea of wheels, stereos, body kits, etc... As I got older, I came to the conclusion "Want cooler wheels? Buy a cooler car." Not only that, but aftermarket wheels make the car more tempting the thieves and the Law. Mr. Officer will notice and hassle you more if the car is not OEM.

My Jag mechanic has said to me over the years, that a Jag is better off with OEM parts. It's not like a Honda or Ford where other people are making better options for the Jag. Jag has it figured out and staying with what they thought of is the most trouble free. Some don't put trouble free first and their happy to play around, but it sounds like you are not that kind of guy (nor am I). The XK is my daily driver.

I what model years are fitting your budget?
I am looking at the 2007-2009 model years.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:39 PM

What I've discovered so far:
BMW 335i Pros
-better gas mileage 17 city/26 highway (full tank would be 348 miles)
-12 feet of luggage space as opposed to 11 feet in the Jaguar
-more passenger volume and people can actually sit in the back seats
-more updated infotainment screen
-nicer interior (I would get the tan and black interior, automatic trans, and navigation)

Jaguar XK Pros
-more distance with a full tank (full tank would be 372 miles)
-more exclusive (even though nobody at my school drives a 335i so they would both be)
-the design of the car is absolutely beautiful and catches more looks than a BMW
-the car is a little more reliable and has next to no engine issues
-the upkeep isn't as bad

Also, there are no BMW 335i's at my school, but one kid drives a 1998 Jaguar XK convertible.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Think of it as this, "when you are 30 or 40, which of these two cars would you look at back and wish you had owned and driven?". Have you actually driven both cars? I can imagine gunning the XK on the Mopac.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

What I've discovered so far:
BMW 335i Pros
-nicer interior (I would get the tan and black interior, automatic trans, and navigation)
Unless you mis-listed this under the 335, I would have to disagree.
The Jags interior is about as high a quality as they come. Sitting in Audi's and BMW's becomes almost annoying with the abundance of plastic.

additional thoughts...
One of my first annoyance with the Jag is just how much I actually care for the car.... It is an aluminum body, and door dings not only happen easily, but repair of them would exceed any steel body car two or three fold.
Why is this important? Because you suddenly find yourself frightened to park the Jag anywhere. Trips to the grocery store have you parking at the far (uphill) end of the parking lot, and constantly glancing out the store window to be sure no one is messing with it.... Can't even imagine a school parking lot....
Needles to say I use my commuter car for around town stuff, cause I don't care if it gets a ding or two. I love the Jag too much to even take those chances....

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 07-21-2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
Peat the Pickle (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 01:40 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
Can't even imagine a school parking lot....
Good point!