XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2007 XK 4.2 Audio problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2024, 11:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2007 XK 4.2 Audio problems

I have a 2007 XK here in the UK . I am gradually improving the car and getting various bits working the Audio has me a bit stumped.

It basically works about one in ten times, when it does work it generally looses volume, ending up at nothing after about 5 mins . Then it won't work again for days . Radio and cd works but once it's been on about 5 mins it dies down to nothing . I have had the whole unit out a few times to hunt about ,if I disconnect the two plugs to the back of the black unit directly on top of the radio and cd , it will come alive again when I put them back in for a couple more minutes. There are two connections on there a green one and a black one where you can see a blinking light . I no doubt need to replace some units but I don't want to do so blind, hunting for the problem. It's not the steering wheel controls or the phone button, they work fine in my 5 mins of radio.
Any thoughts received with thanks .

Old 06-14-2024, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

The black box you're describing is the Information and entertainment control module. It is likely the source of your problem but you need to provide DTC codes that a generic reader probably won't show. Use an Autel HP200 from amazon for about $60. Come back with the codes. Also, if it is the ICM, you need SDD diagnostics to fit a new one. They aren't plug and play.

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (06-14-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sean W
The black box you're describing is the Information and entertainment control module. It is likely the source of your problem but you need to provide DTC codes that a generic reader probably won't show. Use an Autel HP200 from amazon for about $60. Come back with the codes. Also, if it is the ICM, you need SDD diagnostics to fit a new one. They aren't plug and play.
Thanks for reply. I tried a different ICM in the car today ,same part number from another car . It actually is plug and play , everything worked immediately, all controls and audio, but the audio only for the 5 mins as before, bit of a disappointment but I think that rules out the ICM. My son has my good diagnosis tool, he is away a week now, I will get the codes next weekend and post . Swapped back to original ICM fault persists.

Sean W (06-15-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 06:35 AM

I now have the code from the unit .B1A01-11
Permanent. Front drivers speaker short to ground . Speaker 1

I guess I need to start looking for that fault. Does anyone know if circuit 1 is driver's side or passenger side . I am in the UK so a right hand drive car Code saying drivers side but want to be sure.

Would you start with door card off first and looking at the speakers and wires ?
Any pictures of the plugs at the other end showing the speaker connection?

Thanks

Old 06-22-2024, 07:28 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

The very code and its definition can be directly compared to the Ford implementation. There are plenty of resources online which describes this situation and fix.
Or, use the stickies at the top of this very forum, and review the workshop manual for the Jaguar tech solution.
Cheers!

ralphwg (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliffords
I now have the code from the unit .B1A01-11
Permanent. Front drivers speaker short to ground . Speaker 1

I guess I need to start looking for that fault. Does anyone know if circuit 1 is driver's side or passenger side . I am in the UK so a right hand drive car Code saying drivers side but want to be sure.

Would you start with door card off first and looking at the speakers and wires ?
Any pictures of the plugs at the other end showing the speaker connection?

Thanks
It is the front Drivers side door. That holds two speakers. The door card speaker and the tweeter. You don't mention which sound system you have Premium or Standard. IF you have premium there is one connection behind the passenger footwell too, otherwise it's just a pass through connection. If it were me, I would start at the tweeter. Pull the housing straight out and carefully and test for short to ground there first. Next requires you pull the door card. Two places to test are the speaker and the connector that splits the speaker and tweeter. Not much to these as they don't really move. Of course, testing the speaker itself (borrowed) - If a speaker measures very low or no resistance, then it is bad. This means there is a short inside the speaker. If the speaker measures a very high resistance, it is also bad. This means there is a broken connection in the speaker.

jahummer (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sean W
It is the front Drivers side door. That holds two speakers. The door card speaker and the tweeter. You don't mention which sound system you have Premium or Standard. IF you have premium there is one connection behind the passenger footwell too, otherwise it's just a pass through connection. If it were me, I would start at the tweeter. Pull the housing straight out and carefully and test for short to ground there first. Next requires you pull the door card. Two places to test are the speaker and the connector that splits the speaker and tweeter. Not much to these as they don't really move. Of course, testing the speaker itself (borrowed) - If a speaker measures very low or no resistance, then it is bad. This means there is a short inside the speaker. If the speaker measures a very high resistance, it is also bad. This means there is a broken connection in the speaker.
Well I have had a fairly good afternoon getting to know the car more but I have not fixed it yet . I have audio unit out resting on the tunnel and both door cards off. I still don't know if it's drivers door , or drivers door for US or UK , so I am hunting both . Each door has two speakers a high up little one and the main door one . The big ones both test about 4.5 ohms and the little ones about 4.1 ohms . I have done a really thorough visual test of all the writing I can see. I also took out the main speakers to look and feel inside the doors, have a good pull about of the wires etc . It makes no difference to my problem, about 4 or 5 mins of audio whilst volume gradually decreasing untill no sound . If I pull the optic cable connection off ,it resets and gives me another 4 mins . I can see one light coming from the optic cable , should I be able to see two ? I have run the unit with no front speakers plugged in , same still happens. I also noticed when I run the car the reversing bleepers work when I back out the garage , but not once I go next to park. I guess this is general audio related too. So car in the garage still in bits , I have learnt with age better to sleep on it , and I have to cook a BBQ now anyway. Appreciate any further thoughts .

Old 06-24-2024, 05:26 AM

Well I have really had a good hunt about and I can't find any damaged wires . One question I have , if I look at my integrated audio module, big unit in dash, I don't have anything that looks like the same colour coded wires as figure 16.2 of the electrical manual . I don't have the same coloured wires or nearly enough of them actually.
I want to try and disconnect the front speakers at source but I can't find where the source is .Any help appreciated.

I have Standard Audio, that remains working for 4 mins before fading away.
My simple logic is I have a code saying a front speaker is grounding, I want to disconnect one by one the speakers from the unit , but none of the wires tally .