2007 xk ac condensation water leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2007 xk ac condensation water leak

Need help in locating AC condensation drain hose ......... see JTB00121
for VIN B00001 - B25390. Early model 2007 XK AC condensation drain
is different from later VIN B25391+.

JBT00121 step 3 "Remove and discard the drain tube from the rear of the heater unit. Illustration look like short rubber hose with duck-bill end.

Where does the drain hose exit the XK interior? Can it be scene by removing
catalytic converter? I do not want to remove the instrument panel -- due to risk of other problems which may be worst than the drain problem.

I have driven about 700 miles since buying in June 2011. Does infrequent use
(no condensation drainage keeping open the hose) make the drain hose more prone to stoppage?

2007 XK Coupe with 32000 miles -- thanks for suggestions.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Check this thread out:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ot-well-55703/

The drain exits the cabin just above the transmission. It has a tip shaped like a duckbill, and the normal operation of the tip is for the weight of the draining water to cause the tip to open and allow the water to drain. Over time the tip becomes closed for a variety of reasons and hence the water does not drain.

My tip was repaired by Hennessey Jag in Atlanta - they put the car up on the rack, removed the passenger side exhaust pipe near the tranny and reached up above the tranny and cut a portion of the tip off so the water could drain.

EDIT: this was on my 07 XKR when I had it

Old 05-17-2012, 08:00 AM
Thumbs up AC Condensation 2007 XK

Thank you for the response.......... remove exhaust and cutoff end of drain.

If the catalytic on right side ........ will this provide access to the drain tube above the tranny? I don't understand why Jaguar has not adopted this
solution ...... less risk to IP removal. Technical bulletin JTB00121 solution appears to be a rubber grommet inserted into the bulkhead. Looks like
that could be inserted from above the tranny? new p/n C2P21646

Alec Redfearn 2007 Grey XK 32000 miles

Old 05-17-2012, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Not sure about the catalytic converter...I do know the space is cramped and to get at the drain tube freely you would have to drop the tranny.

Like I said they cut the tip of the tube off...just a little of the tip. They did not put a new tip on - it just isn't necessary in my opinion.

IMO Pulling the whole dash is crazy and it's a lot of work; again just not necessary.

Originally Posted by 2007 grey xk
Thank you for the response.......... remove exhaust and cutoff end of drain.

If the catalytic on right side ........ will this provide access to the drain tube above the tranny? I don't understand why Jaguar has not adopted this
solution ...... less risk to IP removal. Technical bulletin JTB00121 solution appears to be a rubber grommet inserted into the bulkhead. Looks like
that could be inserted from above the tranny? new p/n C2P21646

Alec Redfearn 2007 Grey XK 32000 miles

The following users liked this post:
2007 grey xk (05-17-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Thumbs up 2007 XK AC Condensation Leak - Passenger Footwell

Update on replacing AC Condensation drain hose for 2007 XK

The Forum includes numerous threads on AC Condensation leak -- Jaguar XK. Technical Bulletin JTB00121 (10/05/2010) describes the procedure to replace a $9.00 rubber drain hose for the air conditioner. Total labor time 2.80 hours.

The repair procedure (version 3) includes the instrument panel removal and later reinstallation required to gain access to the drain on the back of the AC/Heater unit. After removing the IP --the AC unit can be lifted to the side and the redesign condensation drain can be install. The Jaguar mechanic told me the IP removal is easy (20-30 minutes to remove) with MINIMUM RISK.

The good news is that I was expected a repair charge for parts and labor to be $1000-$1200. The total repair charge is $461 vs $1200. The repair is scheduled for Monday May 21st. The new AC drain
p/n C2P21646 looks like a rubber 2-3" grommet with an ell shaped discharge tube -- the discharge tube duck bill is open and does not close(over tranny).

I tried an earlier suggestion----- without spending any money. IT WORKED. Turn on the AC (without recirculation) ........... Close all vents. This worked for me today. After driving 15 miles from Satellite Beach to Cocoa Beach ............. no blockage of condensation water observed with AC condensation draining as designed. Drain is over the tranny and cannot be observed - a good solution that may work without replacing the redesigned AC drain hose.
Logic: With all AC vents closed and automatic AC ON - condensation is blown out of the AC/heater unit hose due to the increased pressure (vents closed).

Thank you for the excellent support and knowledge from the Forum Members.

2007 XK Slate Grey Coupe - 32000 miles in like new condition
Alec Redfearn .......... Satellite Beach, Florida

The following 2 users liked this post by 2007 grey xk:
amcdonal86 (07-12-2013), sdookhan (06-25-2012)
Old 07-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I am having this issue and the AC was supposed to have been fixed at the Jag dealer when I purchased the car. Do I have any recourse?

Old 07-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

I think the easiest thing to do, which worked for me, is to close all the vents (side and center vents). Then turn the climate control on, and put the vents to the face vents only. Make sure you turn off recirculate and use fresh air. Then turn the fan setting to its highest speed. This should blow the duckbill open.

I suspect this is what most dealers are doing when the car has this problem. But then they charge $600 for the repair when it's really just 1 minute of work, and then pocket the difference!

Old 07-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I think the easiest thing to do, which worked for me, is to close all the vents (side and center vents). Then turn the climate control on, and put the vents to the face vents only. Make sure you turn off recirculate and use fresh air. Then turn the fan setting to its highest speed. This should blow the duckbill open.
I tried that one and did nothing. Still hear a sloshy whirling noice on the pasenger side fan and it is leaking. Will try the air compressor trick later today at mechanic.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I added some compressed air to the vent system to "blow open" the duck valve. Just sealed the compressed air hose with some duct tape and blew away. It did not take much air pressure to open the duck valve.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rey
I added some compressed air to the vent system to "blow open" the duck valve. Just sealed the compressed air hose with some duct tape and blew away. It did not take much air pressure to open the duck valve.
I tried that yesterday and some water was underneath the car and then about a half cup + of water fell into the passenger footwell.

I called the saleswoman at the Jag dealership I bought the car from. The "fix" was done when I bought the car. She's going to find out what she can before I call Jaguar NA or if I am just SOL.

My indy mechanic said the job is too big for him and I need to go to the dealer. The two closest Jag dealers are owned by a huge auto group and I was not thrilled with the service or parts experiences I have had with them in the past. There's another Jag dealer in Woburn that I think will do a better job but want to wait until my ducks are in line before send the XK out for such an expensive repair.

The saleswoman left me a message "You just gotta get an F-Type", lol which would be nice, but my girlfriend and I have been looking at houses and I'll be read the riot act if my car payment is now $500 more than it is currently.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Just washing my cars seems to let water into the passenger area...

Old 11-11-2016, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the great and useful information. I too have an 07 XKR with 33k miles and I drove from Sacramento CA to San Francisco and by the time I got there, the whole passenger side was drenched. I heeded the advice from some of you to close the vents and run fans on high this morning and low and behold, after about 3-4 minutes, a waterfall streamed from under my ride. I let it sit for a while idling and then I drove around the block and sure enough, more water. I know this is a short term fix as I'm not ready to part with my hard earned money. I'll purchase the new and improved part and then take to the independent Jag fella I know to have resolved. Nevertheless, thank you all for your knowledge and willingness to share.

May the source of your strength continue to bestow good health, peace of mind and lots of time behind the wheel of your Jag.