XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2007 XK Bluetooth Phone question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 08:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2007 XK Bluetooth Phone question?

I have connected my Samsung note 5 successfully and also my sons iPhone 5 to the XK bluetooth. I can clearly here incoming conversation but for some strange reason on neither phone can the person here me speaking from the cars built in microphone. Is there some step that I am missing to make this bluetooth function successful? The incoming quality sounds great btw.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Your XK is a 2007 model and your smartphones are probably much newer. It's possible that the Bluetooth versions in your smartphones are not 100% backwards compatible with the version in your XK. I don't have either one of your phones (mine is an old Samsung Galaxy S3 that works fine in my 2009), but maybe someone who has one or both of your phones can provide a better answer.

Check the "Sticky" thread at or near the top of the first page of this Forum to see if your phones are compatible. Let us know what you find out.

Stuart

Old 01-15-2016, 09:28 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Sadly that "Sticky" is very outdated, it does not show any of the current phones. There is a TSB that seems to be applicable to the issue you are experiencing, do a "search" and you'll see several threads about it I think it's related to issues with where the mic is located

I, and a few others, are awaiting Google to finish their "marshmallow" update from lollipop to resolve our blue tooth connectivity issues of which Jag's compatibility doesn't reflect but that is abot connectivity not microphone issues.

Last edited by Leeper; 01-15-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Your XK is a 2007 model and your smartphones are probably much newer. It's possible that the Bluetooth versions in your smartphones are not 100% backwards compatible with the version in your XK. I don't have either one of your phones (mine is an old Samsung Galaxy S3 that works fine in my 2009), but maybe someone who has one or both of your phones can provide a better answer.

Check the "Sticky" thread at or near the top of the first page of this Forum to see if your phones are compatible. Let us know what you find out.

Stuart
Thanks for the reply I will keep searching until I can find a solution.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by vnewtonXK07
Thanks for the reply I will keep searching until I can find a solution.
I guess my 1st question would be did you have any cell phone paired with your car that worked? What is interesting to me if if the phones "paired" and the car system works where the infotainment system allows the phone to accept calls then it sounds to me that either the microphone is bad or the BT module is not functioning correctly. Think about it , if it pairs and the functions are in the system and you can hear clearly but can't be heard then your mic is not working. That's where I would start looking but unfortunately you may need to see the dealer for the fix. Keep us posted

Old 01-16-2016, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I guess my 1st question would be did you have any cell phone paired with your car that worked? What is interesting to me if if the phones "paired" and the car system works where the infotainment system allows the phone to accept calls then it sounds to me that either the microphone is bad or the BT module is not functioning correctly. Think about it , if it pairs and the functions are in the system and you can hear clearly but can't be heard then your mic is not working. That's where I would start looking but unfortunately you may need to see the dealer for the fix. Keep us posted
Yes phones sync flawlessly but I can't be heard I will be contacting the dealership on Monday to see if they have a solution regarding the microphone.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Yes phones sync flawlessly but I can't be heard I will be contacting the dealership on Monday to see if they have a solution regarding the microphone.
The mic is behind the A-pillar trim, on the drivers side, maybe 4-6 inches down from the top. Try shouting at that area to see if the other party hears you (though their phone).
If they hear you, then the electronics are ok, it's just bad placement of the mic.
The TSB mentioned earlier, puts the mic on the outside of the trim (using a different mic).

Old 01-16-2016, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
The mic is behind the A-pillar trim, on the drivers side, maybe 4-6 inches down from the top. Try shouting at that area to see if the other party hears you (though their phone).
If they hear you, then the electronics are ok, it's just bad placement of the mic.
The TSB mentioned earlier, puts the mic on the outside of the trim (using a different mic).
I just spoke with my local Jag dealer and he said it wouldn't be the bluetooth in the jag but it would be a phone compatibility issue. I'm wondering how could he figure that without ever looking at the car. It was almost like he brushed me off.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I just spoke with my local Jag dealer and he said it wouldn't be the bluetooth in the jag but it would be a phone compatibility issue. I'm wondering how could he figure that without ever looking at the car. It was almost like he brushed me off.
Sorry I don't buy it. I would go to the service manager or the GM of the dealership.
A question for the form is for those who have a 2007 what cell phone works in your car.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

I didn't realize that mic was buried inside the A pillar on the 2007 models. On my 2009 it's on the outside of the A pillar and looks like it was stuck on as an afterthought. Too bad the earlier design didn't work; it sure looks better than the wart on my A pillar.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I didn't realize that mic was buried inside the A pillar on the 2007 models. On my 2009 it's on the outside of the A pillar and looks like it was stuck on as an afterthought. Too bad the earlier design didn't work; it sure looks better than the wart on my A pillar.
I have no idea where the A pillar is or what it is on my vehicle. Noobie here so where exactly is that location in terms of steering wheel, headrest, etc.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:58 PM

Sorry I don't buy it. I would go to the service manager or the GM of the dealership.
A question for the form is for those who have a 2007 what cell phone works in your car.
I really want to yell into the microphone located in my model but have to figure out where the microphone A pillar location is. #NoobieStill

Old 01-16-2016, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member

I really want to yell into the microphone located in my model but have to figure out where the microphone A pillar location is. #NoobieStill
The A-pillar is that part of the car that supports the side of the windshield, from the dash to the roof (simple explanation).

Old 01-16-2016, 03:06 PM

The A-pillar is that part of the car that supports the side of the windshield, from the dash to the roof (simple explanation).
Gotcha!! Thanks I just youtubed it. So my microphone is inside of that. Not a really good placement in my opinion.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member

I have an iPhone 5s that works in my 07XK, although I do need to speak loudly for the mic to pick it up.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:18 PM

I have an iPhone 5s that works in my 07XK, although I do need to speak loudly for the mic to pick it up.
Thanks for that info.. my son also has a 5s maybe i wasn't talking loud enough. I'll try and yell in that area where the microphone placement is supposed to be.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

It could be that you are going to end-up installing a microphone that was specified for 08-15 xks. I don't see how that can be very difficult. If it turns out that you have a microphone problem talk to the service guys at your dealership about.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:01 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

on Windows Phone (8 and 10) and IPhone 5.. sound will remain rubbish.. I went for headset instead.. its a shame for a 100k car to have such a crappy phone system.. but that's how it is..

Old 01-20-2016, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Stick to an iPhone if you want smooth Bluetooth experience in the XK (at least your model year). I went through 5-6 different phones that did not work 100% in that car.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:07 PM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an 07 XK vert and use a Samsung S4 without problem. If you're trying this with the top down, it could be an ambient noise issue.

Quick Reply: 2007 XK Bluetooth Phone question?