XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2007 XK Door Window-Drop Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 03:13 PM
Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 2007 XK Door Window-Drop Problem

The door windows on my ’07 XK tend to erratically drop the required ~8 mm when opening the doors. About half the time, the driver (left) door window drops correctly. At other times, the window does not drop, drops and then immediately returns to the closed position, or drops only partway. This, of course, makes closing the door a challenge. The same issue exists for the passenger door, but less frequently, perhaps because it has been used less. In addition, when there is any aberration in the window drop, the car cannot be locked using the door handle buttons, instead emitting a warning chirp. Fortunately, the car can always be locked using the remote key. The car has 50K miles, was maintained by the Jag dealer prior to my purchase (I am the third owner), and other than some of the typical early New XK issues, is in excellent condition.

I have read write-ups on how to repair/replace in the door-latch microswitches in the XK8/XKR, but cannot find information re the XK door latch, which is of a different design. While I’m sure I can remove the door latch mechanism, I’m not sure what I will find once I have it (them) on the workbench. Does anyone have any experience with this problem or how to solve it? I assume the dealer merely changes out the latch mechanism, but I would like to see if I can fix the problem without spending $300 per door latch. Note that while an Autoenginuity scan shows a few DTCs for the doors, e.g., B10eb Driver’s Door Double Locking Motor, none appear to be related to this issue.

Dan
’01 XK8 Convertible Roman Bronze
’04 XJR Black
’07 XK Convertible Emerald Fire

Old 03-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

From the fact the you have multiple door-related problems, I suspect that removing the door panel and taking a close look at connectors and wiring may pay dividends. A corroded connector or chaffed wiring could be the source of such intermittent symptoms.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Not sure what window issues you have had in the past , so please forgive a repetitive answer.
Have you tried resetting the windows limits?
I know it is a procedure after removing the battery, but dont actually know how myself.

BOL
Vince

Old 03-13-2014, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
I know it is a procedure after removing the battery, but dont actually know how myself.
I'm guessing he's tried it, but:
  • Push window switch down and hold while window comes down - keep holding down for 2 seconds after the window is fully open.
  • Pull window switch up and hold while window comes up - keep pulling up until 2 seconds after window is fully closed.
  • Repeat for other window.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

All this is good advice - but a simple question: how old is the battery? a aged battery or one which is not at full charge will produce odd and erratic symptoms, including window malfunction.

The following users liked this post:
rfr66 (03-05-2017)
Old 03-13-2014, 07:15 PM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

+1

One of the first symptoms of a failing battery is erratic window drop.

Check and eliminate this before looking for trouble elsewhere.

Graham

Old 03-14-2014, 11:19 AM

Thanks all for the input. I should have noted in my original post that the battery is new, having replaced the original battery ~2 months ago. I did this not only because the original battery was getting on in years, but to address this issue. It didn't help.

The windows have been reset for auto-up operation on several occasions, both before and after installing the new battery, and that function works properly. I suspect the problem may be related to a microswitch within the door latch, as has been reported with the XK8s/XKRs, but the XK latch mechanism is substantially different than that in those models.

After purchasing the car, I noticed that the driver door panel was not properly secured on the top edge, indicating someone had been in there looking for something. There is no indication of a problem with the door or window being addressed by the Jag dealer in the records I have.

When time permits, I'll open things up, take some photos and determine what, if anything, I can do to address the issue. It is annoying for me and confusing to passengers when their door has to be closed several times for it to lock and the window seal properly.

Dan

Old 03-04-2017, 06:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Dan, was wondering if you managed to sort it out?

Cheers

Old 03-05-2017, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by DanJensen
After purchasing the car, I noticed that the driver door panel was not properly secured on the top edge, indicating someone had been in there looking for something.
Maybe, or maybe not. It's been noted in other threads that the door panels can warp, pulling away along the top edge.
I've got a wider gap on my passenger (right) side, than on the left side door. This gap causes the speaker module in the upper corner to appear to not fit correctly, as there is a gap between it and the door pannel.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:43 PM
Default '07 XK Window Drop Probelm

Unfortunately not. The intermittent window "non-drop" occurs on both the driver's and passengers doors. I can find no basis for why it works sometimes and others not. I have researched the issue over the past few years, but never got a hit on others who had the problem. I have talked to local Jag independents and they don't have experience with this issue. I will be at the local Jag dealer for service work on my '11 XJ soon and I plan to ask the service manager if he has seen this problem before. My sense is this is neither easy nor inexpensive to remedy so I have adapted to it, but it still bugs me. I'll post any meaningful feedback I receive from the service manager.

Dan

"Hi Dan, was wondering if you managed to sort it out?

Cheers"

Old 03-05-2017, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 215 Posts

I had this problem on my X100 and it was the micro switch in the door lock. Had it not been fixed by that repair, my next step was the door processor module. I'm not a fan of random replacement till fixed, but there is seemingly valid logic to the suggestion.