XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2007 XK - How do I replace the brake light bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 07:31 AM
Received 185 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven07XK
My local Jaguar dealer does not work on Jaguars over 10 years old, there is no way they will give you a new light.

However for anyone else reading this, there is a better way to remove the light than what has been mentioned so far in this thread.

Remove the two nuts with a 7mm nut driver, then position the driver over the studs and gently tap it with a rubber mallet. I did not pull the light at all. I tapped for close to five minutes though (alternating studs) before it popped free and was caught by a person helping me. It did not pop out that much, but I did not want to chance damaging the light or the paint, I am glad I had someone there (with their fingers directly underneath the light) to catch it.

I have an 07. I think 07-09 have two nuts. I have read they went to 3 in later years.

In your case, before I replaced the light I would see if a red sharpie would hide the glue lines. But I feel your pain...I have replaced a number of interior parts that I have broken because I followed bad advice..
But if the said bad advice comes from the manufacturer himself, maybe it's worth asking them (directly, not a local dealer...but the whole question is which entity I should write to) for a replacement part... I've checked on SNG and it's around 320 €...
Thanks for the sharpie tip. I'll first try to see if I can scratch those glue marks away, like with the nail or maybe a tiny screwdriver. Then I'd try to cover what's left.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:39 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven07XK
My local Jaguar dealer does not work on Jaguars over 10 years old, there is no way they will give you a new light.

However for anyone else reading this, there is a better way to remove the light than what has been mentioned so far in this thread.

Remove the two nuts with a 7mm nut driver, then position the driver over the studs and gently tap it with a rubber mallet. I did not pull the light at all. I tapped for close to five minutes though (alternating studs) before it popped free and was caught by a person helping me. It did not pop out that much, but I did not want to chance damaging the light or the paint, I am glad I had someone there (with their fingers directly underneath the light) to catch it.

I have an 07. I think 07-09 have two nuts. I have read they went to 3 in later years.

In your case, before I replaced the light I would see if a red sharpie would hide the glue lines. But I feel your pain...I have replaced a number of interior parts that I have broken because I followed bad advice..
Precisely the reason I stay away from the "new" dealers.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by George Abitbol
I too trusted the manual, which indeed uses singular for the left side...so once I had undone the bolt that's easy to reach, I started pulling...fairly hard. And I ended up breaking the point on the front end of the unit!!

It's only after checking here that I read about that 2nd (terribly placed) bolt. Then the unit came off easily. I managed to glue the bit back in place, but one can definitely see the repair (little white marks left by the glue).

Now, I'm wondering: I broke that bit because Jaguar's manual is erroneous and thus misleading. Is it not possible to contact Jaguar to claim another, replacement unit for free? It's their fault, after all...
I have literally just done the same as well as taken a big chunk out of my thumb! Assume I'll have to glue so it's water tight again?

Old 05-31-2021, 08:06 AM
Received 185 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom.stanley
I have literally just done the same as well as taken a big chunk out of my thumb! Assume I'll have to glue so it's water tight again?
I'm not even sure it's water tight to begin with...but just for the looks, it's worth doing. It kinda sucks when there's a piece missing...

Old 05-31-2021, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom.stanley
Would recommend as nothing worse than having a thumb that's not watertight

Old 04-04-2022, 09:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After reading the notes in this thread, I went in with sockets blazing, only to find that it was easy as pie! two simple--though odd--nuts on the studs described, and the light just popped out. Thanks for all the great stuff on here, though, as I'm sure it could have gone otherwise!

2007 Jaguar XK

The following 2 users liked this post by jagboynyc:
MCX (01-27-2023), V7Sport (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 02:31 PM
Received 431 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by jagboynyc
After reading the notes in this thread, I went in with sockets blazing, only to find that it was easy as pie! two simple--though odd--nuts on the studs described, and the light just popped out. Thanks for all the great stuff on here, though, as I'm sure it could have gone otherwise!

2007 Jaguar XK
I found the same. Just unscrew the two small nuts and the light unit falls off.

Richard

Old 05-12-2022, 04:03 AM
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree, I found it rather simple. This is how I did it:
-For better acces release the rear part of the interior trim covering the light assembly and fold it away. There is a plastic rivet at the top of the trim going upwards that holds it in place, which must be released first.
-Release the two 7 mm nuts holding the assembly in place.
-Spray a small amount of silicone spray on the plastic pin holding the front part of the assembly.
-Put a small socket on an extension, place it over the plastic pin and tap gently on the extension witn a small rubber mallet or hammer. It came out after a few taps.

Old 01-27-2023, 09:33 AM
MCX
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jagboynyc

2007 Jaguar XK
I have to do this in the next few days - been reading the service bulletin and found a youtube video of the rear lamp assembly being pulled.
This is my first real work on the car, though I've been reading up on things for months in preparation.
I got her two days ago and need to pass inspection. I am just a bit hyper nervous about all these references to careful, light pressure and yet pieces can be sticky, and oh yeah, don't break the lens. Eek.
If any of you are around I may need to PM someone questions.
Much appreciated!

MC

Old 01-27-2023, 11:38 AM
Received 431 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by MCX
I have to do this in the next few days - been reading the service bulletin and found a youtube video of the rear lamp assembly being pulled.
This is my first real work on the car, though I've been reading up on things for months in preparation.
I got her two days ago and need to pass inspection. I am just a bit hyper nervous about all these references to careful, light pressure and yet pieces can be sticky, and oh yeah, don't break the lens. Eek.
If any of you are around I may need to PM someone questions.
Much appreciated!

MC
I'm here but removing the light cluster is not difficult.
The rain cover by the light cluster under the boot lid first needs to be unclipped. Then there are two fiddly 8mm nuts which you have to remove by going in once you have removed the plastic grille inside the boot. The upper nut is very fiddly but once you can feel it with your fingers you should be able to get a spanner on it. Once you have removed the two nuts, you can pull the light cluster away from the bodywork. The end nearest the back off the car should jiggle out first and then the sharp corner towards the front.
Be careful not the pull out the back section whilst the front corner is still held firmly in place by its metal locating peg as I would guess that is the point at which it would be possible to snap off the sharp corner. Jiggle the rear end of the fitting without pulling it outwards to free off the locating peg before pulling the fitting away from the car.

Richard

Last edited by RichardS; 01-27-2023 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Locating plug is metal rather than plastic
Old 01-27-2023, 12:07 PM
MCX

Thanks Richard! That makes sense. Will let you know how it goes.

(this video has a good bit of the details, but I am going slow and finding many different sources before I touch anything -
)

Old 01-27-2023, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Yeah, but the 2010 tail lights are LED, so what bulbs to change? The video labeled wrong, not your fault.

Old 01-27-2023, 02:05 PM
MCX

I was getting to that next -- there are a few levels.
- Replacing like with like OEM
- Upgrading to compatible but more modern
- Optional upgrades, someone for one of the front lights I heard was changing out the color. (and surely the fronts are easier to get to right?)

I started out just after the brake bulb, and want to go LED. Which means I guess I'm doing both sides soon. Should I just replace all the bulbs at once? is that 4 per side? Sounds like that is the most common approach (unless you really enjoy taking things apart and putting back together... hey on a given day, I can see that). Tail light and brake light surely get a lot more use than the others, so maybe I'll stick to just those.

Thanks all. I AM finding the other threads on this. I appreciate the many warnings of how to push/tease the lamp assembly out so i don't get the broken corner hopefully. It looks like that would be easy to do.

MC

Old 01-27-2023, 10:10 PM
MCX
Smile Rar. Warning off, new bulb in.

Originally Posted by Cambo
Two nuts and one press stud hold the lights in a 2007-2009, from 2010 that press stud was changed to a thread with a nut.
If the light has never been removed, that press stud can be very tight.
This was the key part for a 07/08/09. I got it done tonight. The press stud looks just like a little rubber-coated bolt sticking out, but as it's on the opposite side from the angled 'point' of the light, if you don't get that to move you're sunk, and conversely if you can push on that after the two main bolts are loose, voila' done. It might as well be a bolt the way it sticks, so they were smart to change it to a 3rd one in 2010.

I did look at LEDs but something I eventually found on one of the forums mentioned that they can mess with the lamp health monitoring system, so I just went with the basic 12v 21/5w that was suggested (7528).

All set. My first repair with the XK. Thank you forum community! Heading to inspection tomorrow to see if there's anything else. /cross fingers.

The following 4 users liked this post by MCX:
kj07xk (01-27-2023), McJag222 (01-28-2023), ralphwg (01-28-2023), V7Sport (01-28-2023)