XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2007 XK - Infotainment center

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by hm1
Joking? It's front and center in the cabin.. Most older MB's and Porsche's are upgradable, that's why I ask.

The car only has 300hp, would probably have trouble keeping up with a v6 maxima or Camry, but I get what you mean. It's all about the experience, which is hurt by that laggy-inconsistent thing stuck in the middle of the dash
You may have inadvertently hit the nail dead on. The closer you are to the Camry mindset, the more important the distractions become. At 510hp, there are times i desperately want to look at the screen (to see name of artist) and cant.

Its an American thing to ask for something other than the essence of car that has ruined cars around the world. Even the 911 was forced into a version of the Camry and suv.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:45 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Have you driven the car? By your statements it would seem you have not. Again what is your complaint with the system?

Yes the XK has only 300hp, it would have problems keeping up with a 300cc sport bike, a 48v quad copter, or a rubberband shot none of which has anything to do with what your initial issue seems to be... no clue as to what your complaint about the system is. Your claim about AC is incorrect, your jumping onto the coattails of the system being slow is likely not your own thought but one from a contributor... what has been your experience and what is your issue with it when /if your drove the car? It sure looks like you're creating an illusion of something you have not encountered in a car you have not yet driven.

If your goal is to be entertained while you drive please go with a Tesla and set it to autonomous or take the bus/train and play Pokeman as there's more than enough distracted people on the road. The system is the X150 has a few MINOR things that could be improved but the VAST majority who actually own/use this car seem absolutely fine with it. Could it have Aux input, yup, is it slow, not very, do you have to access it to utilize the AC as your claim - NOPE (no different than the new Fords or most other cars even in todays marketplace)

The following 4 users liked this post by Leeper:
Cee Jay (08-18-2016), kj07xk (08-18-2016), Queen and Country (08-18-2016), SWCofer (03-19-2020)
Old 08-18-2016, 03:06 PM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
Have you driven the car? By your statements it would seem you have not. Again what is your complaint with the system?

Yes the XK has only 300hp, it would have problems keeping up with a 300cc sport bike, a 48v quad copter, or a rubberband shot none of which has anything to do with what your initial issue seems to be... no clue as to what your complaint about the system is. Your claim about AC is incorrect, your jumping onto the coattails of the system being slow is likely not your own thought but one from a contributor... what has been your experience and what is your issue with it when /if your drove the car? It sure looks like you're creating an illusion of something you have not encountered in a car you have not yet driven.

If your goal is to be entertained while you drive please go with a Tesla and set it to autonomous or take the bus/train and play Pokeman as there's more than enough distracted people on the road. The system is the X150 has a few MINOR things that could be improved but the VAST majority who actually own/use this car seem absolutely fine with it. Could it have Aux input, yup, is it slow, not very, do you have to access it to utilize the AC as your claim - NOPE (no different than the new Fords or most other cars even in todays marketplace)
Currently have a 2005 XKR with pulleys, easily over 450hp. It's the previous generation XK, that's why I was surprised when I jumped into the newer generation. On the older ones, you can leave the screen off. Not so on the newer ones, that's why it gives a feeling of clunkines when operating it

Old 08-18-2016, 03:39 PM
Banned

That's lovely that you have a Jag now and quote wonderful hp numbers... how is that relevant to your supposed disappointment with the info system? Somehow you're trying to equate your claimed hp has something to do with your initial post of unsatisfactory infotainment system please elaborate. If you're goal is power/speed then go with an XKR versus XK... that's a no-brainer but that has nothing to do with your claims here.

What do you mean by "Clunkiness"... you keep making claims without specifics seemingly based on not having ever tried it yourself. Now you're trying to get totally off-topic bringing engine power into your argument. What is your question/issues/concerns? So far you've tossed up what you believe to be problems that simply don't make sense, what you believe is reasons why it is so (please elaborate as that makes zero sense) are not there then you combat that with tossing out hp #'s. You do know that there is an XK and XKR right? And you do know the differences between the two cars right? Both the XK and XKR have the same infotainment system from years 07-15 with little tiny differences and if you read the MANY posts/pages regarding that you'll find that very few complain and those complaints are minor things like wanting to upgrade the stereo quality, nicer nav graphics, etc very little otherwise

The system cycles through all screens quickly and precisely. It addresses the climate control just fine and quickly, it does so with the stereo (though it would be great to have a built-in aux input), vehicle systems, nav (not perfect by any stretch but more than sufficient especially once you've gotten the hang of it), and phone (some 07-08 had problems connecting to newer phones that can be dealt with). So again... what is your complaint regarding your initial post, what have you "experienced", why is it a problem?

Old 08-18-2016, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hm1
On the older ones, you can leave the screen off. Not so on the newer ones
For the 5th time- that is wrong. I leave my screen off.

Where do you get that information? You dont even have to drive one to know that. Look at the picture above- all the buttons for the ac are under the screen. The radio is on the steering wheel, as is the ability to make a phone call using voice alone.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:16 PM
Banned

Here in the states we do not have the luxury of "hands-free" calling out sadly by utilizing the cars system, only off a phone that has that as a feature but that would still require us to touch buttons on the phone while driving... we can answer calls hands-free but not make them... cars in the UK supposedly have this feature from what I remember. The button is on the steering wheel to make the system work but it was never allowed to happen here in the states. But yeah, Q&C, the more I hear about his complaints the more it makes less and less sense that he has ever experienced any of what he claims to be issues

Old 08-18-2016, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,258 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by hm1
Joking? It's front and center in the cabin.. Most older MB's and Porsche's are upgradable, that's why I ask.

The car only has 300hp, would probably have trouble keeping up with a v6 maxima or Camry, but I get what you mean. It's all about the experience, which is hurt by that laggy-inconsistent thing stuck in the middle of the dash
OK you're clearly getting taken to the woodshed for your comments, but I'll play along and try to walk in your shoes as best I can. You're not the first to complain about it.

I'll concede the infotainment screen is lackluster. If I'm extreme about it, the colors are too muted for my old eyes. The resolution is poor and the screen's tabular design gives me the impression that it was designed by someone who has an affinity for Excel 2000 and/ or "The Oregon Trail" video game. (google it)

That said and all kidding aside, my wife's SRX screen is much larger, more brightly lit, higher resolution and extemely distracting. (Gregory's point I think). I leave it off as it is too distracting.

As Q&C already alluded to, I'm not jumping into a Jaguar looking for a Pandora button. I've simply learned where the soft buttons are and leave the screen off (or the logo on) when I don't need them. I'm in my car to enjoy the ride, not the screen.

The console utilizes MOST ring which is a fiber optic loop. To my knowledge, nothing is faster than fiber optics. I've never had an issue with responsiveness so I suggest the specific model you test drove may have had an issue?

Compared to your wife's Lexus, perhaps a disappointment. Compared to an XK100????

Console updatable? No and what a **** poor business model that would be.

Bottom line - someone dislikes something about every automakers version of infotainment systems. You can't change it at a reasonable cost, so please confirm it's enough to keep you from owning this stunning car.

HP - yes a mild disappointment for me too and I understood that going in. I would have to pay up for the 5.0. My 05 SV8 did 0-60 in something like 4.5 seconds. So asked myself, do I need that? No of course not. Did I ever use it? Well yes, once, when I bought the car to confirm the marketing hype. All that and 30 MPG highway too? Yep.

But this is the XK and a far cry from the gunboat that is the XJ LWB.

So if your still tearing up Main Street on a Saturday night, you'll want to upgrade to the 5.0. and either way you'll have to accept the screen as is.

The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (08-19-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 08:34 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

My wife's SRX (same year, more miles) is sharp but no faster than my 2010 XK. I don't find it distracting.

RE XK - My old eyes (and poor vision) leaves me unable to read the icons when in navigation mode, but the system pulls my location quicker than the SRX. And the map is fine

Usually, I'm watching the road, so neither are that critical.

I do wish I had engine gauges on the entertainment system, however!

Cee Jay (08-18-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

Top tip for Jaguar lovers. In a year or so all these info-tainment screens will be obsolete, in all cars made before 2014.

The systems that Google and Apple are working on is so much superior that the best entertainment and navigation of today is rendered old-fashioned.

Here is an example, if you have satellite radio in your car, when the phone rings, you have to mute it, take the call and then try to catchup with where you were- not possible, true of regular radio. OR today you can download the satellite app or regular radio channel's direct app like NPR on your phone- not only does the programing pause when you get a call, you can skip entire programs you dont like such as: lets make college free by taking away your ability to buy another Jaguar. Wait a moment, college was not free for me, so you want to tax me for something I am not the beneficiary of. Isnt that taxation without representation.

Going to digress and talk about infortainment. So get this, the big push is to make car entertainment and navigation where you dont have to look at anything, its all done by voice, just like in rally driving, you are not looking at the navigators notes, that would be hilarious, well, its exactly what we are doing today.

Plus more than likely you need to find a restaurant or some new business that has opened, well again the built in maps in any car will fail you. Not if you are using a phone for navigation. Naturally, if you are hard of hearing and hard of seeing-they want you to hail a uber cab.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:23 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

C'mon…. interesting point of views, but, we all bought our cars at different times and years, and the infotainment system I'm sure was not the centrepiece of why we went ahead and purchased an XK or XKR

The following 2 users liked this post by Fstbmw1:
kj07xk (08-19-2016), Sean W (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 04:45 PM
hm1

Originally Posted by Fstbmw1
C'mon…. interesting point of views, but, we all bought our cars at different times and years, and the infotainment system I'm sure was not the centrepiece of why we went ahead and purchased an XK or XKR
True, but it's the in center of the interior and the only part you can't upgrade and that dates the car the most. If you plan on keeping the car a long time, it's a serious concern---those screens also don't like the heat

Old 08-19-2016, 04:51 PM
Banned

Where do you come up with this stuff? Seriously... you keep making totally ridiculous claims - first it was that it was "slow", then you didn't like the buttons that don't exist, now it's that it doesn't like heat... are you sure you're talking about a Jag X150???

Last edited by Leeper; 08-19-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:15 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I am trying to figure out why some are taking this subject what seems like personaly.
The orginal poster did say "I'm looking to get a 2007-up XK". So maybe he wont get one after all.
Personaly i am cool with my infotainment, it does everything it should, evens hooks up to my phone which i though would be a problem being that my phone is a new design. I like the system

Sean W (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

you guys are now learning how the are selling ugly cars to kids and those who want to be kids, they are convinced the infotainment is their life. They need to be looking at some screen.

They have no concept what the finer points of a car is.

In some ways they are not wrong- they will need a good screen when they eventually become Uber drivers. Is it any wonder car manufacturers are now directly selling to uber drivers. Rental car companies have special programs for uber drivers.

That's what I love about our XK it is so damn uber unfriendly.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:41 PM
hm1

Originally Posted by Leeper
Where do you come up with this stuff? Seriously... you keep making totally ridiculous claims - first it was that it was "slow", then you didn't like the buttons that don't exist, now it's that it doesn't like heat... are you sure you're talking about a Jag X150???
I second that, have some wine and relax. We're just talking about used cars here..

Old 08-19-2016, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,025 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by wrair
RE XK - My old eyes (and poor vision) leaves me unable to read the icons when in navigation mode
I also wish the screen was brighter and had a higher contrast for daylight driving with the top down, as its now usually a total washout. But that doesn't keep me from loving the car. Also, that female voice with the British accent, is great for navigating without looking at the screen (heck, I just have her tell me where to go when I'm driving in familiar territory (like my driveway)).
Originally Posted by wrair
I do wish I had engine gauges on the entertainment system, however!
Oh, now that can be done!
Get yourself a HKS Camp2, and you too can have them displayed.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member

Could there be anything more dated than a guy who has burl and needs to know what his water temperature is. Why yes, a guy who has one put in retroactively. Love it!!

Old 08-19-2016, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,336 Likes on 3,472 Posts

hm1,

At first glance, the touchscreen appears to be the same on all X150 models (North America) from 2007 through 2015. But that is not the case. In addition to purely cosmetic changes, significant functionality improvements to the touchscreen were made beginning with (1) the 2009 model year to add integrated iPod functionality including steering wheel controls and (2) the 2012 model year to add a backup camera.

Going from a supercharged and modded 4.2L X100 with over 450HP to a naturally aspirated 4.2L X150 with 300HP will be a huge letdown. Why aren't you looking at the 4.2L XKR with 420HP?

Stuart

Old 08-19-2016, 08:19 PM
hm1

Originally Posted by Stuart S
hm1,

At first glance, the touchscreen appears to be the same on all X150 models (North America) from 2007 through 2015. But that is not the case. In addition to purely cosmetic changes, significant functionality improvements to the touchscreen were made beginning with (1) the 2009 model year to add integrated iPod functionality including steering wheel controls and (2) the 2012 model year to add a backup camera.

Going from a supercharged and modded 4.2L X100 with over 450HP to a naturally aspirated 4.2L X150 with 300HP will be a huge letdown. Why aren't you looking at the 4.2L XKR with 420HP?

Stuart

The sound was actually better, but I agree the power was really down. If I can find a good deal on a facelifted x150 model, I would jump on it. Those cars are the best looking, but are still being hit with depreciation big time. What really pushed me to buy the 05 xkr is that they're values have been going up -overlapping the early years x150 generation. I don't think 07-08 XK's can drop much more, so those are the years I'm focused on.

The needles animations and low screen resolution is what has lots of room for improvement. Most Porsches, Mercs, BMW's of the age could have these screens swapped out. But in the XK, it's much more integrated. Makes it a tough buy to be honest, wish there were an upgrade

Old 08-19-2016, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,336 Likes on 3,472 Posts

The X150 is not a facelifted X100. The X150 is all aluminum, including the chassis and body with far better quality control through robotic construction. Only the 4.2L engine carried over, with improvements. The X100 is all steel. There's no comparison.

You should look at the 2009 to get the integrated iPod functionality, unless, of course, you want to have a retractable mast radio antenna, which was available only on the 2007 models, to remind you of your X100.

Last edited by Stuart S; 08-19-2016 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 XK - Infotainment center