XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2007 XK Service/Maintenance Costs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Hey, stupid question about the differential... couldn't you have a drain plug installed?

Old 07-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

This brake pad/rotor replacement thing is insanity. Anyone that has changed there own oil can surely change there own brake pads & rotors. Maybe 1 or 2 hours of your saturday is all it takes. Save a ton of $$$$ & do it yourself. Its not that difficult.....

The following users liked this post:
macon6500 (10-10-2017)
Old 07-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by racerxf12004
This brake pad/rotor replacement thing is insanity. Anyone that has changed there own oil can surely change there own brake pads & rotors. Maybe 1 or 2 hours of your saturday is all it takes. Save a ton of $$$$ & do it yourself. Its not that difficult.....
Some of us are at a point in our lives where we don't feel it is necessary to do the labor ourselves and are willing/able to pay someone else to do it for us.

Personally if I was concerned about the money, I would not have purchased a Jaguar.

That's not to say I won't negotiate on the costs because I do and I know that there is always price flexibility. I'm just saying that you have to go into the purchase and maintenance costs of a "finicky" car like a Jaguar with your eyes and ears wide open.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts

Do you have more than one Jaguar dealership you can go to?

I have a 2000 XJ8. In Scottsdale AZ, this month, I was quoted $730 for Front AND rear brakes (including rotors which need to be done on Jags as per Jaguar & other mechanics.)

Read your warranty. Must you have maintenance done by Jaguar? What exact maintenance must be done to keep the warranty? Surely not just anything & everything that Jaguar recommends? If you don't have the owner's manual & service Manual get one online & look at the chart of recommended maintenance. Try to avoid having anything else done unless you KNOW it needs it. For example my manual says radiator flush every 5 years regardless of mileage.

Based on what you posted, I think this dealership is not ethical. Doing some overpriced unneeded work compared to other Jaguar dealerships.

Maybe call around even to other states to ask about costs & recommended repairs based on age & mileage. Opinions vary but, I never would accept paying for 30K, 40k, xyz unspecified mileage service. I only accept paying for specific things to be done & prices disclosed by phone b4 the appt. For example, I will have radiator coolant flushed + Brakes done. I would never let Jag dealer replace tires! Read reviews of tires for your car on Tirerack.com & check local prices at Discount Tire & other places. The headlight replacement story was proof they are looking to take advantage of you. Go to this & other Jag forums with specific questions re specific maintenance or repairs & find out what others have done for specific things such as your headlight scratches if those bother you.

Good luck!

Old 12-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Thank the Lord for independent Jaguar repair shops! Those costs are way out of control and the "winterization" I get for free. Dealer is taking you for ride; they are there to make money and I think they have to adhere to different "standards" than an indy. The dealer follows certain triage that the indy's don't have to.

I got played when my torque converter went ('04 VDP). Dealer knew what it was but sold a me a raft of "you know what" saying the issue was carbon on the throttle body. $300 for nothing and they knew it. Really soured me into getting serviced at the dealer again. They did replace the torque converter under extended warranty and has been running well since.

One thing to consider is shop rates between the dealer and indy's. That alone could be $30-40 an hour difference. Parts at a discount on top of that.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts

Hey GreyXK,

That dealer is just ripping you off. With that few miles none, and I mean none of that service needed doing. Oil changes only and drive the car. That is one thing about warranties that I don't like. They blackmail you into doing work that doesn't need doing with the statement that if it isn't done the warrantee will be voided. I've owned many cars in the last 60 years and kept all of them for long periods of time and never did any of those things at anywhere that low mileage. My 95XJ6 has 114,000 miles and I just did the brake fluid flush and power steering change( pressure line leaked. Also did the transmission flush and filter at 80K. Other than that only oil and coolant.

EZDriver

Old 09-14-2016, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible Experience

I see some people say they have no problems because they don't dive them!!!!!!!!!! get some miles on them and watch them fall apart 9,000 miles is nothing on any car!

I purchased by 2007 XKR Coupe with 77,000 miles in good condition Nov 2015. within the first month needed $500 in maintenance for supercharger pulleys and belts because they started to rattle... fine. Then in February after hitting multiple a potholes, the front suspension was leaking, busted both front tires and bent both rims. On a high performance coupe why did the put 20 inch low profile tires to only be fitted on this car? Suspension, bearings, 1 new rim 1 fixed rim, and 2 new tires, road force balancing, and alignment; TOTAL $6000 TO COMPLETE THE FRONT END AT A AUTHORIZED JAGUAR DEALER AND THE STEERING STILL WAS CRAP AND MAKING NOISES. I have taken the car back over 10 times to the dealer to try to find the problem as they continue to try new things. Their mechanics are obviously just as crap.it has been 8 months taking the car back and forth because the steering and drive has been horrible ever since. Th next issue was at 83000 THE ENGINE BLEW LEAVING ME ON THE SIDE OF A HIGHWAY AND THEY HAVE NO EXPLANATION. OIL WAS CHANGED 6000 MILES AGO AND THEY ADVISED I WOULD ONLY NEED A OIL CHANGE EVERY 8000-10000 MILES.... TOTAL CRAP!!!!TOTAL PRICE OF A REPLACED ENGINE WAS $7000. The water reservoir also started to leak $450, the headliner on a 2007 car already has fallen $600. Front grill that is only snapped in pops out all the time and finally it came off on the highway $200. Rear axle snapped clean in half $400. Speaker system is crap, and the tweeter grilles have popped out. Bluetooth only recognizes certain frequencies and not all so my phone is not compatible, and when it can work its for calls only no audio or media sharing. As of today ALL 4 RIMS ARE BENT THEY ARE CRAP! Rear glass cover always falls down and then finally the clamps cracked and broke off. the heated seats stopped working. the seat adjustment makes you feel like your in a convertible because they don't go back far enough and I'm only 5"10. On the good side the car looks absolutely stunning in profile it always has people stop and look. The drive and power and sound are exotic at its best. The sound can be heard a block away and is beautiful. But jaguar dealers are horrible in luxury standards in service and repairs are over the top for poor quality. This is a ford product with bells. the newer Jags owned by Tata will definitely be a better buy. I love what this car does... but i hate its quality and reliability. I would never recommend purchasing this model. save the headache and buy a CL Mercedes or the new Jaguar FType that's all new built if you have the $$$

Old 09-14-2016, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by totalpakaj
I see some people say they have no problems because they don't dive them!!!!!!!!!! get some miles on them and watch them fall apart 9,000 miles is nothing on any car!

I purchased by 2007 XKR Coupe with 77,000 miles in good condition Nov 2015. within the first month needed $500 in maintenance for supercharger pulleys and belts because they started to rattle... fine. Then in February after hitting multiple a potholes, the front suspension was leaking, busted both front tires and bent both rims. On a high performance coupe why did the put 20 inch low profile tires to only be fitted on this car? Suspension, bearings, 1 new rim 1 fixed rim, and 2 new tires, road force balancing, and alignment; TOTAL $6000 TO COMPLETE THE FRONT END AT A AUTHORIZED JAGUAR DEALER AND THE STEERING STILL WAS CRAP AND MAKING NOISES. I have taken the car back over 10 times to the dealer to try to find the problem as they continue to try new things. Their mechanics are obviously just as crap.it has been 8 months taking the car back and forth because the steering and drive has been horrible ever since. Th next issue was at 83000 THE ENGINE BLEW LEAVING ME ON THE SIDE OF A HIGHWAY AND THEY HAVE NO EXPLANATION. OIL WAS CHANGED 6000 MILES AGO AND THEY ADVISED I WOULD ONLY NEED A OIL CHANGE EVERY 8000-10000 MILES.... TOTAL CRAP!!!!TOTAL PRICE OF A REPLACED ENGINE WAS $7000. The water reservoir also started to leak $450, the headliner on a 2007 car already has fallen $600. Front grill that is only snapped in pops out all the time and finally it came off on the highway $200. Rear axle snapped clean in half $400. Speaker system is crap, and the tweeter grilles have popped out. Bluetooth only recognizes certain frequencies and not all so my phone is not compatible, and when it can work its for calls only no audio or media sharing. As of today ALL 4 RIMS ARE BENT THEY ARE CRAP! Rear glass cover always falls down and then finally the clamps cracked and broke off. the heated seats stopped working. the seat adjustment makes you feel like your in a convertible because they don't go back far enough and I'm only 5"10. On the good side the car looks absolutely stunning in profile it always has people stop and look. The drive and power and sound are exotic at its best. The sound can be heard a block away and is beautiful. But jaguar dealers are horrible in luxury standards in service and repairs are over the top for poor quality. This is a ford product with bells. the newer Jags owned by Tata will definitely be a better buy. I love what this car does... but i hate its quality and reliability. I would never recommend purchasing this model. save the headache and buy a CL Mercedes or the new Jaguar FType that's all new built if you have the $$$
totalpakaj:

Since you have posted your complaint twice via 2 different threads my response is the same as in the other thread where you complained.

I think your first mistake was buying a car 8 years old and with 77,000 miles in what you classify as "good condition". Did you the car from a Jaguar Dealer, independent car sales lot, or a private party? Did you have the XKR fully inspected by a bonafide Jaguar dealer?

Every car buyer needs to complete some kind of due diligence before the purchase. The money you have put into this car will never come back to you.

Sell it now and upgrade to a newer model, before you pour more money over bad.

There is nothing wrong with these vehicles when you make a proper selection. You only tell us one side of the story, there are so many questions that need to be answered on what you paid for the car, the past history of the car, the pre-purchase inspection if any. The problem may not have been the car, but the buyer in the way the purchase has handled in the first place.

It appears you didn't buy a totalpakaj XKR.

These cars are highly reliable vehicles as most of us here will agree.

The following 3 users liked this post by richzak:
Cee Jay (09-14-2016), kj07xk (09-14-2016), Sean W (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 3,186 Posts

Now 62,000 on mine, only had to replace one tire pressure sensor. Discount did it for free. Oh, and a battery replacement at five years because I left the lights on like an idiot.
Absolutely trouble-free for nearly six years now, 10,000+ miles each.
I think maybe totalpakaj either got someone's abused heap or created his own abused heap.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by richzak
totalpakaj:

Since you have posted your complaint twice via 2 different threads my response is the same as in the other thread where you complained.

I think your first mistake was buying a car 8 years old and with 77,000 miles in what you classify as "good condition". Did you the car from a Jaguar Dealer, independent car sales lot, or a private party? Did you have the XKR fully inspected by a bonafide Jaguar dealer?

Every car buyer needs to complete some kind of due diligence before the purchase. The money you have put into this car will never come back to you.

Sell it now and upgrade to a newer model, before you pour more money over bad.

There is nothing wrong with these vehicles when you make a proper selection. You only tell us one side of the story, there are so many questions that need to be answered on what you paid for the car, the past history of the car, the pre-purchase inspection if any. The problem may not have been the car, but the buyer in the way the purchase has handled in the first place.

It appears you didn't buy a totalpakaj XKR.

These cars are highly reliable vehicles as most of us here will agree.

FIRST; CAR WAS PURCHASED FROM JAGUAR OF CHANTILLY, VA

SECOND I WAS THE THIRD OWNER

THIRD I PAID $22K FOR IT ( BUT IRRELEVANT)

FOURTH I PURCHASED FROM A JAGUAR DEALER SO THEY INSPECTED IT, PUT NEW BRAKES ROTORS TIRES AND FULL MAINTENANCE BEFORE I PURCHASED.

FIFTH. MOST OF THESE REVIEWS HAVE OWNERS WHO HAVE NOT EVEN HIT THE 75,000 MILE MARK. SORRY I BOUGHT THE CAR TO DRIVE... NOT TO JUST CRUISE ONCE A MONTH DOWN THE BLOCK AND THEN PARK UNTIL NEXT MONTH.

SIXTH BOUGHT MY 2004 NISSAN Z IN WORSE CONDITIONS THAN THIS JAG WHEN I PURCHASED AND IT NEEDED NOTHING BUT BRAKES AND AN OIL CHANGE FOR THE 4 YEARS I OWNED IT WITH EVEN HIGHER MILES AND 5 OWNERS.

I HAVE TALKED WITH A LOT OF OTHER OWNERS FACE TO FACE WHO SAID THEY HAVE HAD TO REPLACE ENGINES AS WELL.

ANOTHER SAID HES IN THE SHOP AT LEAST EVERY OTHER MONTH FOR A BENT OR CRACKED RIM OR A NEW TIRE.

BEAUTIFUL CAR AND I LOVE WHAT IT DOES BUT THAT DOES NOT CHANGE QUALITY... MY CLK55 HAD ALMOST 144,000 MILES BEFORE I HAD TO REPLACE THE WATER PUMP AND THE TYRANNY STARTED SLIPPING THIS XKR ONLY EVEN HALF WAY THERE AND IS ALMOST FULLY REBUILT DUE TO QUALITY ...

Even the trade value on these are HORRRRRRRIBLE!!!!! Even The sales manager at jaguar said they had upgraded mechanics and systems that could have been placed in the XKs years before it discontinued but Ford did not want to put the more expensive upgrades to the crap they built on a outgoing model that they had already had a cheap price to sell for CHEAP TO DEALERS. This is why the F-Type is so expensive because now because it has a way better setup.
SORRY MY RECOMMENDATION IS NOT TO BUY ANY XK MODEL UNLESS ITS A XKR-S FOR COLLECTABLE REASON. IF YOU HAVE ANYMORE QUESTIONS ABOUT ITS HISTORY IN CORRELATION TO MY "HANDLING AS A BUYER" I WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO ANSWER. IVE OWNED ABOUT 6 EXOTICS AND THIS IS BY FAR THE WORST AS FAR AS RELIABILITY IS CONCERNED.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

The all caps isn't helping your case... It makes you look like a loon or have an axe to grind. Maybe you just got a lemon of the car?

You can't add broken wheels into the costs. That's just par for the course on any marque's 20" wheels.

I see 11+ XK's with over 100K miles on cars.com right now.

The following 4 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
Cee Jay (09-14-2016), kj07xk (09-14-2016), ralphwg (09-15-2016), Sean W (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
The all caps isn't helping your case... It makes you look like a loon or have an axe to grind. Maybe you just got a lemon of the car?

You can't add broken wheels into the costs. That's just par for the course on any marque's 20" wheels.

I see 11+ XK's with over 100K miles on cars.com right now.

MY MESSAGE BEING IN CAPS IS IRRELEVANT just for the record. The real issue is the reliability for this 2007 xkr coupe. You all must be jag sales reps because you guys have detested everything I have said about this car. I shared my experience as a owner... and as a owner of 3 AMGs, Maserati, 2 Nismo Zs, and a ZO6 corvette in comparison the reliability has been crap. I have the right to compare them all. the maintenance items on my AMGs where DOUBLE what this jag is but did not have any major suspension or engine failures and with twice the mileage. Yes if it seems Im complaining i have every right since its my money spent!... I came to share my experience not argue about whether they were real or not or why im using CAPS......

Old 09-14-2016, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by EZDriver
Hey GreyXK,

That dealer is just ripping you off. With that few miles none, and I mean none of that service needed doing. Oil changes only and drive the car. That is one thing about warranties that I don't like. They blackmail you into doing work that doesn't need doing with the statement that if it isn't done the warrantee will be voided. I've owned many cars in the last 60 years and kept all of them for long periods of time and never did any of those things at anywhere that low mileage. My 95XJ6 has 114,000 miles and I just did the brake fluid flush and power steering change( pressure line leaked. Also did the transmission flush and filter at 80K. Other than that only oil and coolant.

EZDriver

Your absolutely right and about them ripping me off... but please do keep in mind Im not talking about all jags .. .I just sold a 1986 xj6 that had 165k original miles and ran like a top!

Jaguar XJ6 | eBay

Only sold it because the tranny went out and i drive the XK most the time so it was sitting. My reason for my post is specifically targeted at the XK model.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 470 Posts

My my we are pissy today.

Cee Jay (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,247 Likes on 1,361 Posts

To GreyXK: this dealer saw in you a money-making opportunity ( that is not a criticism of you - it is a comment in the predatory quality of the dealer. I also own a 2007 XK which now has about 60,000 kms on it and like yours, it was also a Select Edition car.
When I bought it, it had just had a new battery installed by the dealer, and new Hankook Evo V12 tires, new rear pads and discs. On these cars the rear brakes wear faster than the fronts and the original tires wear quickly. The Hankooks are quiet, smooth and show almost no wear after 10,000 kms. In my ownership the car has had zero repairs, but I have had the dealer flush the brake fluid and replace the differential fluid (these were entirely my decisions - and the fluid is noted on the work order as synthetic) and do yearly oil changes. At the last oil change, last month, the service report suggested that one rear shock is showing some oil tracing, not needing replacement. They found nothing else. My costs of ownership so far amount to less than $1000 Canadian dollars, but my dealer is honest. And the car is fabulous.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:22 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

MY MESSAGE BEING IN CAPS IS IRRELEVANT
Ya it is. 89% people instantly write you off as being a wack job. Another 10% saw your initial massive wall of text and didn't bother reading it. The remaining 1% are divided equally between your digging up a 5 year post to thrash and are responding to that and the remainder knowing that 64% of statistics are made up on the spot, 2 times out of 3 with an accuracy of 10%.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mikey:
Cee Jay (09-14-2016), envincibal (08-16-2017), ralphwg (09-15-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Ya it is. 89% people instantly write you off as being a wack job. Another 10% saw your initial massive wall of text and didn't bother reading it. The remaining 1% are divided equally between your digging up a 5 year post to thrash and are responding to that and the remainder knowing that 64% of statistics are made up on the spot, 2 times out of 3 with an accuracy of 10%.

irrelevant ... reading is key...

it was a informative... not a English paper.......

Old 09-14-2016, 04:40 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

There's a huge difference between "detesting" what you say and flat out not believing a word you say, I'm solidly in the latter group. Based upon how absolutely preposterous your claims are, how emotional you are about them, how silly the story sounds and lastly and most importantly your complete lack of proof I call bull until you can provide invoices showing your supposed engine replacement, able replacement, and alike

Cee Jay (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Leeper
There's a huge difference between "detesting" what you say and flat out not believing a word you say, I'm solidly in the latter group. Based upon how absolutely preposterous your claims are, how emotional you are about them, how silly the story sounds and lastly and most importantly your complete lack of proof I call bull until you can provide invoices showing your supposed engine replacement, able replacement, and alike

OH?
MOMENTARILY LEEPER I WILL BE HAPPY TO SHOW. CAR IS IN THE SHOP AND ENGINE PAPERWORK IS IN IT ...I HAVE NO PROBLEM GIVING THAT... SO I WILL AS SOON AS POSSIBLE BUT DO KEEP IN MIND I GAVE YOU 2 PLACES TO CALL AND VERIFY MY CAR WHERE ALL WORK HAS BEEN DONE AND GAVE YOU MY NAME TO REFERENCE.

Ingram

Capitol Hill Auto Service Center  

4.721 Google reviews

Brake Shop

Address: 615 Independence Ave SE, Washington, DC 20003

Phone: (202) 543-5155

ASK TO SPEAK WITH Chris or Ryan the managers there

Rosenthal Jaguar  

4.191 Google reviews

Jaguar dealer in Tysons Corner, Virginia

Address: 1592 Spring Hill Rd, Vienna, VA 22182

Phone: (703) 893-1700

Hours: Open today · 7:30AM–8PM
ASK TO SPEAK WITH SASHA MY SERVICE ADVISOR!

THE CAR IS HERE RIGHT NOW... BY ALL MEANS CALL AND ASK!

I WILL POST ALL RECORDS AS SOON AS I GET THE CAR BACK BECAUSE NOW THEY ARE REPLACING ANOTHER TIRE AND RIM THAT BENT WITHIN 1 DRIVE.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Your absolutely right and about them ripping me off... but please do keep in mind Im not talking about all jags .. .I just sold a 1986 xj6 that had 165k original miles and ran like a top!

Jaguar XJ6 | eBay

Only sold it because the tranny went out and i drive the XK most the time so it was sitting. My reason for my post is specifically targeted at the XK model.
This response is made to post more than 5 years ago 12-30-21-2011 (your post #33).

It appears you have some type of cross to bear. Having the XKR repaired for a bent wheel that you drove 1 time, does not bear fruit on a bad XKR, but a bad driver. No one is going to waste time following up calling dealers to verify your problems. Just scan and post copies of the repair bills, show that the Jaguar caused the bent rim that you only drove once on, show us that the Jaguar engine had to be replaced due to Jaguar problems. Perhaps you personally destroyed the engine. This not an unlikely scenario that you personally caused these problems.

If you don't like the XKR and it continues to be a money pit, sell the damn car and move on. With all the vehicles you claim you owned, you must have some very deep pockets to keep repairing this beast or you're one dumb a-hole.

Bitching and complaining to the members of this forum is the wrong approach. You should be bitching and complaining to the possible poor repairs. Then again, the Jaguar dealer that you're dealing with just might agree that you're some dumb a-hole that will continue to throw more money after bad, can't be pleased and they could care less trying to please you and will keep taking your money for repairs that were most likely caused by the owner.

Many owners of the Jaguar brand that are on this forum will mostly attest that they may have had some minor issue, but overall these vehicles are very reliable.

Waiting to see you scan the repair bills, all of them, not just one or two and posting them here for all to witness.

This is all to crazy as I read your eBay ad mentioned above. Never sold or bought anything on eBay ( 0 Feedback). You claim you owned exotic cars, yet in your eBay ad ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/112079370861...d=0&rmvSB=true) you claim you need money. Then you're willing to sell a car that won't even go into reverse. Crazy, very crazy, indeed. After you try to sell it, the last revision is." Bad Transmission, Must be towed away". And you're on the up and up? I doubt it. I seriously don't think you're the total package as your name suggests (totalpakaj).

Last edited by richzak; 09-14-2016 at 05:33 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by richzak:
1 of 19 (09-14-2016), Cee Jay (09-14-2016), kj07xk (09-14-2016), Sean W (09-14-2016)

Quick Reply: 2007 XK Service/Maintenance Costs?