XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2007 XKR pedestrian system fault

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 01:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Here's the original Continental (right) and replacement FOMoCo (left) sensors on my 2007. The replacement was from JLR and stamped accordingly.

I would bite the bullet and go genuine from JLR as the consequences of unintended deployment are catastrophically expensive.

Graham
Thanks Graham, Cannot see the numbers on your new sensor can you pick them up on your original photograph which would be higher definition. Kind Regards

Old 04-29-2020, 02:01 PM

Thanks Graham, Cannot see the numbers on your new sensor can you pick them up on your original photograph which would be higher definition.
The peculiar thing is the number I quoted in my original post as a Range Rover sensor which I bought. This is now being quoted on E Bay for anXK X150 as below.
E Bay Item number 202077937565 from jaguarpartseurope 100% feedback. Also jima on this forum date 04-19-2018 mentions that this sensor is the same for an XK and Land rover. MOST CONFUSING . Would be good to have your further thoughts. Dont know if jima is still on the forum to get his forty pence worth. Kind Regards and thanks for your help.

Jaguar XK X150 IMPACT AIRBAG CRASH SENSOR - 5H2Z-14B345-BA

Old 04-29-2020, 02:08 PM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by WOOD
Thanks Graham, Cannot see the numbers on your new sensor can you pick them up on your original photograph which would be higher definition.
The peculiar thing is the number I quoted in my original post as a Range Rover sensor which I bought. This is now being quoted on E Bay for anXK X150 as below.
E Bay Item number 202077937565 from jaguarpartseurope 100% feedback. Also jima on this forum date 04-19-2018 mentions that this sensor is the same for an XK and Land rover. MOST CONFUSING . Would be good to have your further thoughts. Dont know if jima is still on the forum to get his forty pence worth. Kind Regards and thanks for your help.

Sounds to me it's for an airbag, not the hood deployers!?

Old 04-29-2020, 05:53 PM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Thanks Graham, Cannot see the numbers on your new sensor can you pick them up on your original photograph which would be higher definition. Kind Regards

It'll be remarkable if JLR don't use the same sensor on a number of models.

Graham

Old 04-29-2020, 06:36 PM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

OK, a few things. You don't say make and model and earlier models may differ in the detail but if you have taken off the top radiator shroud to get at the sensors then they are NOT the pedestrian sensors, they are the main crash sensors. I am also suspicious of 'continuity tests' for these, the best way is to read the diagnostic codes to see what is going on on which sensor. The pedestrian crash sensors are similar in form but lower down and usually need to be accessed from below the car. They are calibrated differently to be able to differentiate between a pedestrian impact and an impact with another vehicle, wall, tree etc. Do NOT mix and match the two. Do NOT fit sensors from eBay at £9 the pair, they may well have come from a wreck. If the seller can prove they were from a non-crash breaker with a reasonably low mileage perhaps, or you risk being right back where you were in the near future. There are many common parts between Jaguars and Land Rovers so it's quite OK to widen your search to include them. They also got superseded along the way hence the two bolts, one bolt change. Provided it is the one designed for the purpose at hand it will be fine. Hope that helps to clarify.

Old 04-30-2020, 03:04 PM

Good Evening, a little more information.The car is an XK Coupe 4196 litre which I bought from new in 2006. It was one of the first of this model out of the factory. Not supercharged. The pedestrian check warning has come on for a number of years but as its a third car it does'nt get much use. The garage next to my Company in Wolverhampton has generic diagnostics so can only clear codes but I have recently bought a new Aston Martin DB11 which had a software fault which needed one of their engineers to come to my house to fix. The engineer also worked for Jaguar assistance and was good enough to put his computer on the XK. It only took a couple of minuits for the software not only to identify the rogue component but also the fault which came out as nearside open circuit sensor this was adjacent to the laser 'sabre' bar running across the front bumper.I have always done a bit on the electronics front and expected to find open circuit on the bad sensor and about 2 ohms on the good offside sensor however all the sensors including those I bought from the Land Rover also show open circuit. Presumably they have a circuit in them that need 12v to function. Regarding removal it is extremely easy on this XK as there is a large gap between the radiator top and the front of the car once the radiator cover is fetched off. Using a pair of steps, a rug across the engine and a plastic sheet over the top of the radiator to stop it scratching your arm, lye across the engine and the bolts come out with a small ratchet very easily. About 15 mins work. Presumably some XK's have something in front of the rad which closes the gap. I am informed the Land Rover was not crash damaged but scrapped because of a scrap engine /transmission

Old 04-30-2020, 03:51 PM
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Good Evening, a little more information.The car is an XK Coupe 4196 litre which I bought from new in 2006. It was one of the first of this model out of the factory. Not supercharged. The pedestrian check warning has come on for a number of years but as its a third car it does'nt get much use. The garage next to my Company in Wolverhampton has generic diagnostics so can only clear codes but I have recently bought a new Aston Martin DB11 which had a software fault which needed one of their engineers to come to my house to fix. The engineer also worked for Jaguar assistance and was good enough to put his computer on the XK. It only took a couple of minuits for the software not only to identify the rogue component but also the fault which came out as nearside open circuit sensor this was adjacent to the laser 'sabre' bar running across the front bumper.I have always done a bit on the electronics front and expected to find open circuit on the bad sensor and about 2 ohms on the good offside sensor however all the sensors including those I bought from the Land Rover also show open circuit. Presumably they have a circuit in them that need 12v to function. Regarding removal it is extremely easy on this XK as there is a large gap between the radiator top and the front of the car once the radiator cover is fetched off. Using a pair of steps, a rug across the engine and a plastic sheet over the top of the radiator to stop it scratching your arm, lye across the engine and the bolts come out with a small ratchet very easily. About 15 mins work. Presumably some XK's have something in front of the rad which closes the gap. I am informed the Land Rover was not crash damaged but scrapped because of a scrap engine /transmission

Wood, the ones you have removed are not the Pedestrian Protection System crash sensors but the general Restraint System sensors (I’m saying this with confidence because I did exactly the same thing as you ). That’s why you’re reading both sensor resistance as the same high resistance because they’re all good. The Pedestrian System sensors are accessible from underneath ... you remove the undershield from the front bumper and you can access them from there. I bought and replaced the left sensor and problem was solved.

This is the sensor you need

Remove undershield ...

Then you can ‘feel’ this sensor ... can’t really see it with the car on ground but easy to reach by feel.

The Jaguar part number is C2P17132 ... I bought it new for around Eur80 or so.

Last edited by ejjbee; 05-01-2020 at 02:54 AM.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:59 PM

I understand what you are saying I will take the splash cover off and have a feel around. Kind Regards

Old 04-30-2020, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,465 Likes on 3,220 Posts

Gadzooks. I am SOOOOOOOOOO Happy that US doesn't have that crap.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

+1!!!!!

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (04-30-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 04:50 AM

Yes I agree with the last two comments. Bloody european union cannot wait till December to get out of the beaurocratic Brussels stranglehold we have been in for too many years. did you in the US know that even the shape of our vegetables is prescribed. King regards and thanks to all who have posted help for me to put the problem right.

The following 2 users liked this post by WOOD:
Cee Jay (05-01-2020), plc (05-03-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 01:10 PM

Still no luck with finding any additional sensors over and above what I already found. I have noted however that a lot of the help has come from members who own XKR's. It would appear from the photographs in this thread that XKR's have a cooler in front of the top of the radiator hence you cannot access behind the front bumper from above as I have. My Xk X150 is the standard 4.2Litre and one of the first off the production line. I know Jaguar had problems with these sensors in the first cars and made modifications. I also believe XK's made for the overseas markets did not have this crazy system so European cars probably look different behind the bumper beam than the rest of the world cars. I have had the car up on a lift and completely removed the rad splash guard and also an additional guard behind that. You will see in one of the new photographs posted that you can clearly see the gap between the rad and the front beam of the car that allows access from above so you can get your hand to the sensors I have found. I have plugged those sensors back into their harness and layed them on the front beam., you will clearly see the block paved drive below the car. I have looked extensively all around the front beams for wiring harnesses and there are non that terminate at additional sensors. I also enclose a Jaguar diagramme of the system for early models that only show the two sensors I have found bolted onto the front metal horizontal beam.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:57 PM
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Still no luck with finding any additional sensors over and above what I already found. I have noted however that a lot of the help has come from members who own XKR's. It would appear from the photographs in this thread that XKR's have a cooler in front of the top of the radiator hence you cannot access behind the front bumper from above as I have. My Xk X150 is the standard 4.2Litre and one of the first off the production line. I know Jaguar had problems with these sensors in the first cars and made modifications. I also believe XK's made for the overseas markets did not have this crazy system so European cars probably look different behind the bumper beam than the rest of the world cars. I have had the car up on a lift and completely removed the rad splash guard and also an additional guard behind that. You will see in one of the new photographs posted that you can clearly see the gap between the rad and the front beam of the car that allows access from above so you can get your hand to the sensors I have found. I have plugged those sensors back into their harness and layed them on the front beam., you will clearly see the block paved drive below the car. I have looked extensively all around the front beams for wiring harnesses and there are non that terminate at additional sensors. I also enclose a Jaguar diagramme of the system for early models that only show the two sensors I have found bolted onto the front metal horizontal beam.

Could these be the sensors that you’ve found? It’s from a Supplemental Restraint System in the workshop manual. The system is separate from the Pedestrian System and therefore the sensors are as well.

Old 05-03-2020, 05:19 AM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes I agree with the last two comments. Bloody european union cannot wait till December to get out of the beaurocratic Brussels stranglehold we have been in for too many years. did you in the US know that even the shape of our vegetables is prescribed. King regards and thanks to all who have posted help for me to put the problem right.
OT - You would not be saying that were you a pedestrian whose legs had just been saved by such a system. Bear in mind that we were an influential part of the system that introduces such legislation, not just a recipient. As for silly rules (I think the vegetable thing has been way over-hyped by those who have watched too many episodes of Yes, Minister!) did you in the UK know that in the US you can be fined for just crossing a road in the wrong place? See, not just us and the EU!

Old 05-03-2020, 07:03 AM

Good Afternoon James, We all have differing views about the EU, thats democracy I believe. No offence taken. Regards

plc (05-03-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 04:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, new here.
Is there a way to simply disable this function and get ride of warning at the dash?
I have got JLR SDD and just not sure how I can disable or clear this fault.
Anyone has an idea?

Old 07-10-2020, 06:03 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by m5fan
Hi, new here.
Is there a way to simply disable this function and get ride of warning at the dash?
I have got JLR SDD and just not sure how I can disable or clear this fault.
Anyone has an idea?
As I have written a number of times when this same question is asked, we will NOT be posting about disabling the PPS.

Graham

Cee Jay (07-10-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 11:10 AM
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
As I have written a number of times when this same question is asked, we will NOT be posting about disabling the PPS.

Graham
Because reason can not be explained how to deactivate a system that carries this car so that people have the freedom to decide what they do with their car.
I do not understand why so much tab with the PPS.
In the US this system is not installed in cars and in Europe it is.
I agree that it is a must in Europe but I also believe in the freedom of people to decide.
I don't like these things that happen on some forums.
I know that the moderator can kick me out of the forum simply for this comment, but I do not like that they silence people who comment on their vehicles without disrespecting anyone.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:10 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Jomiltom
Because reason can not be explained how to deactivate a system that carries this car so that people have the freedom to decide what they do with their car.
I do not understand why so much tab with the PPS.
In the US this system is not installed in cars and in Europe it is.
I agree that it is a must in Europe but I also believe in the freedom of people to decide.
I don't like these things that happen on some forums.
I know that the moderator can kick me out of the forum simply for this comment, but I do not like that they silence people who comment on their vehicles without disrespecting anyone.
We don't kick members out for being misinformed and if I wanted to silence you I would simply have removed your post. Although this topic has been discussed many times before, I will yet again briefly explain the reason for restricting it.

Your clearly understand that the PPS is mandatory in the EU. It must be fitted and working to comply with European Type Approval. That is the reason we do not allow posting details of the method of disabling it.

Your freedom to decide what to do with your car ends at the time you take it on a public road. At that point you require the appropriate driving licence, insurance and your vehicle must comply with approvals and regulations. The consequence of deliberately disabling a mandatory safety system such as PPS is an insurer can reject a claim. The potential liability for that is enormous.

Graham

Cee Jay (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 05:19 AM
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
We don't kick members out for being misinformed and if I wanted to silence you I would simply have removed your post. Although this topic has been discussed many times before, I will yet again briefly explain the reason for restricting it.

Your clearly understand that the PPS is mandatory in the EU. It must be fitted and working to comply with European Type Approval. That is the reason we do not allow posting details of the method of disabling it.

Your freedom to decide what to do with your car ends at the time you take it on a public road. At that point you require the appropriate driving licence, insurance and your vehicle must comply with approvals and regulations. The consequence of deliberately disabling a mandatory safety system such as PPS is an insurer can reject a claim. The potential liability for that is enormous.

Graham
I agree with what you mention referring to the fact that if you move around Europe with the pedestrian protection system deactivated, you are committing a very serious offense and that it can have serious consequences. What I do not agree is that the way to deactivate it can be exposed in the forum.
The responsibility of deactivating this system will always fall on the owner of the vehicle and I believe that it is necessary to give the option of each one deciding what to do in their car.
The moment we get into the car if there is anything modified it is the responsibility of the owner, but it will never be from the forum.
If I put the law on the table, you can't change halogen lamps to led or even xenon, instead it is explained in the forums and people decide what to do. Then the competent authorities are those who sanction these behaviors.
In most countries the speed limit on motorways is 120km / h. Why don't limited jaguars come out at that speed?
It would be the correct thing since everyone who exceeds that speed and has an accident may have killed someone.
But it is not limited because in case of failing that limit nobody would go to the workshop to have it fixed and they would not get money.
With the pps if it fails you get on the screen and you have to go repair.
This is my humble point of view without the desire to change the world, but trying to make things look inconsistent.
Regards

Quick Reply: 2007 XKR pedestrian system fault