XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2008 Jaguar XKR Portfolio - Buy a new car

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Jaguar XKR Portfolio - Buy a new car

Hello All,
I am buying my first Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition. I want to make sure I am getting what I am paying for...I did a CarFax and everything looks great! My concern is that it doesn't have the Red Alcon Brakes. Were these an option? Or, were the Alcon Brakes a standard on the 2008 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition? What else do I need to look out for? Can anyone list the options the car should come with that I need to look for?
It has the color, it is a convertible and was originally shipped from England and purchased in Hollywood, CA. It is currently in storage and looks like it is in great shape.

Please help! Thanks much! And, I am looking forward to being a part of the Jaguar world.
Julie

Old 03-02-2017, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Julie,

I'm pretty sure that Alcon Performance Brakes were standard equipment on the 2008 Jaguar XKR Portfolio. To be absolutely certain that the car in question is, in fact, a Portfolio model you will need the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number), which should be included in the CarFax Report. Although there are many VIN decoders online, your best source is Jaguar Seattle Jaguar Dealer in Lynnwood, WA | Jaguar Seattle They can tell you whether or not it is a Portfolio.

All 2008 XKR Portfolios were the same exterior color - Celestial Black Pearl, which was exclusive to the 2008 Portfolio. Check the color code on the plate on the driver's door jamb - it should be 2062/PEJ.

Other Forum resources that may be of interest to you:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...gistry-125919/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...number-110245/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ng-vin-107876/

Hope this helps,

Stuart

P.S. You should not rely solely on CarFax, as they report only that information that is provided to them. If a body shop does not report to CarFax, that CarFax report will show no damage when, in fact, it had been repaired. You should do your own due diligence and, at a minimum, have an authorized Jaguar dealer do a PPI - Pre Purchase Inspection - at your expense, which usually runs around $200 - $300. Using a checklist, they will provide you with a written report of the mechanical condition of the vehicle and what repairs, if any, are necessary and the approximate cost. If costly repairs are necessary, you can use this information to negotiate a price reduction from the seller.

In my opinion, the CarFax Terms and Conditions and, in particular, their Disclaimers, make their reports worthless: https://www.carfax.com/company/legal-disclaimer Read and decide for yourself.

Last edited by Stuart S; 03-02-2017 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

Julie - Follow Stuart's recommendations. Also, I would take the car to a Jaguar authorized aluminum body shop to get a read on whether or not there have been any repairs to the body. Good hunting and welcome aboard.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:51 AM

Thank you for the information! The car is the color you described. The fact that the picture did not contain the Red Calipers clued me into maybe this wasn't the 'real deal'. I am familiar with CarFax. If an accident is not reported, it will not show up on CarFax. I also know that maintenance records show up on CarFax and there were a couple items that were reported but no maintenance history. I would love to do a PPI, but this car is in storage in Moses Lake, WA, about 200 miles RT from a Jaguar dealer and 400 miles from my house. This is an initial $20,000 investment so I was going to do it myself. I know a bit about cars, just enough to get me started or get me into trouble...I really do appreciate your help and quick reply as I am going to look at the car tomorrow and am pretty excited (rose colored glasses and all!).

Old 03-04-2017, 04:20 AM

Hello again, I just did the VIN ID checks and it tells me it is a Jaguar and it is valid. The most important part of the number which is the last 6 digits say 'B23320'. I thought I had read there were only 255 of these cars made. '23320' does not equate to '255', but of course I could be reading it incorrectly. The Jaguar dealer in Spokane is open on Sunday and I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to 1) call and have them put on their decoder ring and tell me if the VIN tells them it is a Portfolio Edition or not and 2) buy the car contingent on the PPI. I think it definitely will be worth it. Thanks again for your help! Julie

Old 03-04-2017, 05:36 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Jaguar don't reserve blocks of numbers (the final 5 in the VIN) for individual special series/limited editions so 255 Portfolio's wouldn't necessarily have 255 consecutive VIN's.

Still worth a call to the Spokane dealer to verify the one you are considering is definitely Portfolio.

Graham

Old 03-04-2017, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarXKRGirl
Thank you for the information! The car is the color you described. The fact that the picture did not contain the Red Calipers clued me into maybe this wasn't the 'real deal'. I am familiar with CarFax. If an accident is not reported, it will not show up on CarFax. I also know that maintenance records show up on CarFax and there were a couple items that were reported but no maintenance history. I would love to do a PPI, but this car is in storage in Moses Lake, WA, about 200 miles RT from a Jaguar dealer and 400 miles from my house. This is an initial $20,000 investment so I was going to do it myself. I know a bit about cars, just enough to get me started or get me into trouble...I really do appreciate your help and quick reply as I am going to look at the car tomorrow and am pretty excited (rose colored glasses and all!).
A couple of options for you that I would personally do before flying up to see the car.

First - maintenance history. Ask the owner to confirm where all maintenance was done, then contact the shop and have them email you all records. I've done this several times without issue or charge.

Regarding a PPI, you can have the owner take it to their local jag dealer. They will give you an honest assessment. I've done this as well. The car was test driven by the Sales manager and then inspected. A report was sent to me via email and they called me as well.

I've done this with two Jaguars. Cost to me was $200 each time for the inspection. Never a charge for the maintenance history.

Since it's an 08, you know to look for wear in the suspension, the A/C duckbill (has it been repaired?), Dash leather coming loose. Check the history of DTC codes. Water pumps were not an issue on the 08's. They are with the 5.0 liter engine.

Other than that, if you buy, you'll need to change all fluids (Brake, coolant, differential, oil), possibly tires. I would leave the transmission oil change for a later date and higher miles.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 01:42 PM

Hi there,
Great ideas! I wish I would have thought to have the guy do the PPI for me before I get there today. He said he would deliver the car up to 300 miles so he could have driven to Spokane and back at 200 miles RT.

I just called the Jaguar dealership and had them run the VIN looking for whether or not the car is a Portfolio Edition. It didn't say so specifically, but he said it was very heavily optioned. The seller said it was so, I'll be looking for that paperwork.

I may very soon be the new owner of a Jag in about an hour or so! I'm getting very excited!

i'll keep you posted on the condition and whether I buy it or not.

Thanks!
Julie

Old 03-04-2017, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 284 Likes on 171 Posts
Old 03-04-2017, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 284 Likes on 171 Posts

If you post the last 8 of the VIN, I can post the options info.