XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2008 Jaguar XKR Scraping noise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Jaguar XKR Scraping noise?

Hello Everyone,

I have two minor issue that I hope to get resolved. I'll break them down into two parts.

First:
I recently took my 08 XKR Coupe for an oil service. Prior to taking it in, I started hearing a scraping noise coming towards the front of the car every time I hit the brakes on a slow stop. Once my oil service was done, the dealer told me my front brakes are gone and that I need to have them replaced. They quoted me $210 for front brakes, $240 brake disks, and $310 for labor. Is this accurate? Could the wear and tear on my front brakes be the reason for this scraping noise? Can I order front brakes online or even through Autozone etc. and give it to a local shop? Or is it best to get brakes done at the dealership?

Second:
My car had a stalling issue earlier this year and I hopped on the forum to look for similar issues. I was told that my fuel pump and fuel gauge sensor were gone which I had replaced (cost me an arm and a leg )

Even after taking care of this, on acceleration, the car seems as if it has to work really hard to switch gears or even skips a gear if that makes sense. It feels as though it has to work really hard when at a stop. The dealer told me that a fuel injector and decarb service along with throttle body service will take care/fix this issue. They gave me a whopping $578 quote. Should I go ahead with this service? Or am I just overthinking this due to my stalling issue that I had earlier?

Any and all advice will be REALLY REALLY helpful from the Jag Gurus!!

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Old 10-16-2014, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

If the front brake pads were worn too much, the rotors were being scratched, which creates the scraping sound, and which is why you were quoted for new "discs" as well as pads. I always use my independent mechanic for brakes etc. You may be able to save the rotors by just machining them (if they remain within factory specs after removing a fine layer). If you have a good mechanic, have them do the work. If not, ask friends who they use. You don't need a dealership to do brakes.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:51 AM
Default 2008 Jaguar XKR scraping noise?

Originally Posted by tberg
If the front brake pads were worn too much, the rotors were being scratched, which creates the scraping sound, and which is why you were quoted for new "discs" as well as pads. I always use my independent mechanic for brakes etc. You may be able to save the rotors by just machining them (if they remain within factory specs after removing a fine layer). If you have a good mechanic, have them do the work. If not, ask friends who they use. You don't need a dealership to do brakes.

Thanks for the quick response! Would you recommend buying brake pads from a retail store rather than the dealership?

Old 10-16-2014, 02:09 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I have found oem pads are much better than most of the auto parts store offerings. But in the sftermarket world i pretty much only use ebc redstuff pads. Very little dust and ive never had them fade on heavy braking.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:51 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
I have found oem pads are much better than most of the auto parts store offerings. But in the sftermarket world i pretty much only use ebc redstuff pads. Very little dust and ive never had them fade on heavy braking.
agreed.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by guy
agreed.
Thanks guys for the quick response.

Would you guys mind giving feedback on my slight throttle hesitation and the fuel injection and decarb service along with the throttle body service the dealer was recommending?

Old 10-17-2014, 02:51 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Only if done with bg injection cleaner would i do it and i consider in maintenance every 60k.. I do it on mine, well i take mine out and take to Fuel Injector Cleaning Service and Flow Testing - Injector RX. But you dont have that option on a xkr. To hard to get out
i dont know about the hesitation. It depends on what specifically youre reffering to. The xk imo has always been a little slow in the throttle response dept imo. Its a tuning thing from jaguar. I dont like the take off in second gear either unless in sport and paddled to 1st.