XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2008 XK - help upgrading Navigation/iPhone system

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 09:49 AM
Received 421 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
To expand on the above, how about a good video of capabilities and options?
My unit came with an approximately 3' long cable that plugs directly into the back of the replacement head unit. The other end of that cable is an HDMI connection, so you can essentially plug whatever media device you want into that plug and playback video. There's also the cheesy dancing K-POP (or more likely C-POP) video snippet of some girl band that they embed in the device from the factory to show you that feature.

And - because it connects to the internet via your phone (and potentially the possibility of putting your own SIM card into one of the two (2) available slots shown under the "Settings" app) - you could conceivably connect to any number of internet sources. The unit is Android-based and connects to the Google Play store, so I suppose you could download Netflix or another streaming service app and watch videos (or ****) while tooling down the road, but I've got no interest in turning my Jag into an actual Tesla, LOL.

The following 2 users liked this post by LoudHogRider:
arenaej (12-21-2020), Cee Jay (12-21-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 12:27 PM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Made three short videos if anybody. The unit is smooth and fast!:-)
Couldn't upload directly, think because of mp4 video!?

https://i.imgur.com/3qYTC8S.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/vrpu428.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/dWdtNbi.mp4

Two videos with no sound, don't know why!?:-)
Still very new to me so need to think where to go!:-D

Last edited by peterv8; 12-21-2020 at 12:31 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by peterv8:
ralphwg (12-22-2020), Sean W (12-21-2020), u102768 (12-21-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

A few questions please. In the pic below, I see a gray and white wire coming out of the power cable and see no place for it. Where does it go?

I see several wires 2 gray, 2 green a white, purple etc. They are just wires. Do they connect to anything?

Last, I see Kurt that you plugged something into the RCA cables in one of your pics. I have only one RCA cable and its for the back up camera. What's the deal with that?

Old 12-21-2020, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Originally Posted by peterv8
Made three short videos if anybody. The unit is smooth and fast!:-)
Couldn't upload directly, think because of mp4 video!?

https://i.imgur.com/3qYTC8S.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/vrpu428.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/dWdtNbi.mp4

Two videos with no sound, don't know why!?:-)
Still very new to me so need to think where to go!:-D
Okay, now I'm getting close to doing this myself.
I still don't want to lose anything from the OEM Settings though. How would you like to make a video of all that?

Old 12-22-2020, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm impressed. I think I'm going to order one. Given that it is Android and Sirius has an Android app my guess is that SiriusXM can be downloaded into the unit. As long as one is in an area with wi-fi, I think it would work.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sean W
A few questions please. In the pic below, I see a gray and white wire coming out of the power cable and see no place for it. Where does it go?

I see several wires 2 gray, 2 green a white, purple etc. They are just wires. Do they connect to anything?

Last, I see Kurt that you plugged something into the RCA cables in one of your pics. I have only one RCA cable and its for the back up camera. What's the deal with that?
8 of the loose wires are speakers out which I used to connect to my speakers as I have the base sound system,Kurt has the premium sound so he uses the rca cables and sends the sound to the premium sound amplifier, he doesn't use the built in amplifier on the android unit like I have to.
There are 2 other cables marked KEY1 and KEY2, I don't use them.

Old 12-22-2020, 07:07 AM
Received 308 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
I'm impressed. I think I'm going to order one. Given that it is Android and Sirius has an Android app my guess is that SiriusXM can be downloaded into the unit. As long as one is in an area with wi-fi, I think it would work.
You can connect your phone as a hot spot so the SiriusXM, Pandora, Spotify, etc will work wherever you are...

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (12-23-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 07:09 AM
Received 308 Likes on 151 Posts

Key 1 and Key 2 are only used if you don’t have the canbus box for the steering wheel controls...

The following 2 users liked this post by arenaej:
LoudHogRider (12-22-2020), peterv8 (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

8 of the loose wires are speakers out which I used to connect to my speakers as I have the base sound system,Kurt has the premium sound so he uses the rca cables and sends the sound to the premium sound amplifier, he doesn't use the built in amplifier on the android unit like I have to.
Shoot, sorry. I think I missed a post in this thread where you covered this Peter, thank you. I ordered a Ferrule crimp kit in anticipation of needing to do the same thing. I upgraded my 07 from Base to Premium but never installed any RCA connectors.
My unit should be here soon. I'll install after Christmas.
I'm getting an open circuit error on my 1980's antenna in SDD so I will happily pull fuse F4.
I suspect once the unit is installed, I can disconnect the Navigation unit and change the CCF file to read "without Navigation"

LoudHogRider (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 11:08 AM

I still don't want to lose anything from the OEM Settings though. How would you like to make a video of all that?
I'll look at it tomorrow but Luke did go thru it and said what he could see only the valet option was gone. My car is base, I do not have many options in my car so don't know what options to look for.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:04 PM

I tried covering some of that earlier ITT, but for the most part everything operates as it did with the OEM head unit. A couple of obvious ones:
  1. No CD player anymore, but you can either use the native "Music" app and plug your music library into the USB cable (which I did - works great) OR use the CarPlay app (an upgrade from most Sellers, but worth it for me since I'm a heavy Apple user). Either solution allows you to use the built-in sound equalizer, and both Peter and I think the sound quality is BETTER than the OEM head unit delivered.
  2. No direct button to push for SiriusXM satellite radio, but as noted above if there's an app for that in the Google Play Store (there is), then you should be able to download it to the new head unit and sign in using that methodology. I suspect the downside to this is you'll be using the "hotspot" data connection for your phone to access it via the WiFi connection with the new screen unit, but that's the case if you want to do any of the data centric apps anyway (e.g. Maps).
    1. Full disclosure - I'm no longer a Sirius/XM subscriber, so I have no personal experience in attempting this solution.
    2. Note: I've had mixed success in getting the screen to pair directly with my phone's LTE cellular connection, but like most of these things I'm pretty sure I changed something when I originally started pounding through the various setting screens (there are LOTS of them) and changed something that horked it up. I'll figure it out eventually.
  3. No OEM on-screen messaging for any kind of code error or "engine lamp" warnings. You still get the warning lights in the area between the speedometer and tachometer, but the OEM head unit screen messages aren't there anymore. I had an intermittent code pop yesterday (not altogether unusual with my 12 year old vehicle), so I had to disconnect the ADU bluetooth sender and plug in my code reader to see what it was and to clear the code. FWIW, the new screen unit DOES track how many miles since the last time the codes were cleared, so it's "aware" of codes, and once again there's probably a setting somewhere in the myriad of settings that would enable these to display "on screen".
  4. No native interface to the TPMS system. @Sean W did some research on this before selecting his vendor-of-choice, and there are supplement solutions to integrate a TPMS system with the new screen setup. I contacted my Seller following Sean's DM's with me on this subject, and they've offered a solution which includes the four (4) tire sensors and the receiving unit (which would plug directly into my USB port) for $50 US. Goodness, you can't even buy the sensors for that price, so this isn't an issue without a decent solution, IMO.
  5. Glare / "black screen". Well, the screen doesn't ever go black, but I drive with polarized sunglasses on and when I glance at the screen, it's pretty much a black hole until I lift the glasses so I can see it. Didn't have that problem with the OEM screen, but polarized sunglasses have that effect on a lot of digital screens - it's particularly annoying at "petrol stations" (see what I did there as an homage to our friends across the pond?). Again, not a deal breaker but one of those "usability" things that I didn't expect, but encountered nonetheless.
  6. Color Match - unless you go with the "black" option for the surrounding trim piece OR are a handy guy with staining/film installation, the provided "wood look" from my Seller was not a perfect match with my "honey burr/burl" wood trim in my vehicle. I tried the film approach (it actually turned out pretty well for my 1st attempt at such a thing), but I didn't like the "flat" look of the film with the more polished look of the OEM wood trim. The film was a closer match than the provided trim piece from a coloration perspective, but I just didn't like the way it looked, so I peeled it off and went "native" on my surrounding trim piece. I've gotten used to it, and it's not like anyone going for their 1st ride in the car would look at that screen and go, "WOW - Jaguar really had their **** together with electronics in 2008, didn't they!" LMAO.
Those are kind of the highlights/lowlights from my perspective after several weeks of use. Overall, I'm glad it made the switch, but my decision was partly driven by the prospect of a failing OEM head unit.

Cabrio Bob (12-22-2020), ralphwg (12-23-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 12:10 PM

Peter pretty much answered this question, Sean. I have an unused cluster of wires since mine plugged in directly to the OEM looms, and the RCA cables (sound OUT) finally resolved my "where's my sound" issue. I kept thinking they should be plugged into the "Sound IN" wires, but like so many other choices I've made, I was wrong.

ralphwg (12-23-2020), Sean W (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
Peter pretty much answered this question, Sean. I have an unused cluster of wires since mine plugged in directly to the OEM looms, and the RCA cables (sound OUT) finally resolved my "where's my sound" issue. I kept thinking they should be plugged into the "Sound IN" wires, but like so many other choices I've made, I was wrong.
Thanks Kurt. The white and yellow wire hanging free in the pic above though. It doesn't appear to have a home. Do you know what it's for?

Old 12-22-2020, 10:45 PM
Received 313 Likes on 147 Posts

Glare / "black screen". Well, the screen doesn't ever go black, but I drive with polarized sunglasses on and when I glance at the screen, it's pretty much a black hole until I lift the glasses so I can see it. Didn't have that problem with the OEM screen, but polarized sunglasses have that effect on a lot of digital screens - it's particularly annoying at "petrol stations" (see what I did there as an homage to our friends across the pond?). Again, not a deal breaker but one of those "usability" things that I didn't expect, but encountered nonetheless.
That's the info I was looking for. I asked this question in this closed thread.
it's a design flaw. They could easily have polarized the screen 90 or 45 degrees. If you rotate your polarized sunglasses 90 degrees I suspect the screen will be visible just fine.

The following 4 users liked this post by Cabrio Bob:
DGL (12-27-2020), LoudHogRider (12-23-2020), ralphwg (12-23-2020), Sean W (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 12:10 AM

Thanks Kurt. The white and yellow wire hanging free in the pic above though. It doesn't appear to have a home. Do you know what it's for?
Sean - I went back and looked at the pics I took during the install process, and if I'm looking at the same wiring pair (white/yellow), then my head unit had a dedicated spot where that loom fit into the back of the screen (an 8-wire input with two wires utilized ... hmmm) :

I'm not sure what device it terminates into, but it appears to be on the back of one of the seller provided "boxes" and has a companion loom adjacent to where the white/yellow loom snaps into place. You can see it towards the upper-right hand corner of this picture (though the white wire appears gray in the photo):

That's all I've got from the photo archive. The only other solution on this end is to pull the head unit ... again ... to see where it goes.

Last edited by LoudHogRider; 12-23-2020 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-23-2020, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Cabrio Bob
That's the info I was looking for. I asked this question in this closed thread.
it's a design flaw. They could easily have polarized the screen 90 or 45 degrees. If you rotate your polarized sunglasses 90 degrees I suspect the screen will be visible just fine.
That may be true, but I'm going to look like an even BIGGER dipshit than I do normally do driving down the road with my head turned at a 90 degree angle!

DGL (03-29-2021), peterv8 (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 03:08 AM

Here is a pic of the car settings.

The following 2 users liked this post by peterv8:
Cee Jay (12-23-2020), Sean W (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

Sean - I went back and looked at the pics I took during the install process, and if I'm looking at the same wiring pair (white/yellow), then my head unit had a dedicated spot where that loom fit into the back of the screen (an 8-wire input with two wires utilized ... hmmm) :

I'm not sure what device it terminates into, but it appears to be on the back of one of the seller provided "boxes" and has a companion loom adjacent to where the white/yellow loom snaps into place. You can see it towards the upper-right hand corner of this picture (though the white wire appears gray in the photo):

That's all I've got from the photo archive. The only other solution on this end is to pull the head unit ... again ... to see where it goes.
Thanks Kurt. I really appreciate it. No need to pull the unit on my behalf. It could just be the angle of the photo from the seller making it look like a 4 or 2 pin when in fact it could very well be the same as yours.

Mine will be here shortly and I'll figure it out. There's enough information on this thread that I can't see using tech support from the seller thanks to you and peterV8. Aside from that connection, which at this point I'm presuming it will go where you have yours, I will simply have to connect the speaker wires to the correct pins.

Old 12-23-2020, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W;
I will simply have to connect the speaker wires to the correct pins.
Picture in Post 189 will make it easy! :-)

Old 12-23-2020, 05:22 PM

Picture in Post 189 will make it easy! :-)
What you did there was terrific, but IIRC Sean has the "Premium Audio" package (as did I), which means we simply plugged into the included plugs that mimicked the OEM units. I'm sure glad I didn't have to do the wiring that you did, though I'm now left with all of those extra audio wires are just back there ... dangling ... useless. Regardless, I'm glad the Seller included that option for the folks with the standard audio package. Thanks to your trailblazing, we now have a guide.

peterv8 (12-23-2020)

Quick Reply: 2008 XK - help upgrading Navigation/iPhone system