XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2008 XK - help upgrading Navigation/iPhone system

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Sean, your wrap looks very nice! Good job. Well, thanks to LA County they have delayed the vaccinations for us old timers. Maybe, just maybe late this week or early next week. Between the incompetent state government and incompetent county government, as of last night,only 23% of the available vaccine has been injected!

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (01-31-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 04:30 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
I cannot speak to the ashtray lid, but the J-gate is super easy. You pop off the trim piece that it's embedded in, unplug the start button (and in my case the speed limiter button as well), flip it over and press the springs. It slides right out. On the trim piece, I start from the side closest to the center console and work my way towards the dash. When it's free of the retention clips, I slide it "back", then lift up & out. Easy peasy.
How about the wood pieces on the steering wheel, are they removable to wrap?

Sean W (01-31-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by peterv8
How about the wood pieces on the steering wheel, are they removable to wrap?
If they are, I don't know how. I plan to try and wrap them in situ but will wait for the warm weather.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

I can't for the life of me get CarPlay to work. I followed Arenaej's instructions. Carlink just says connecting device. Had it going for 10 minutes. I had it once, now....

EDIT: I reset my phone and it connected immediately

Last edited by Sean W; 01-19-2021 at 11:04 AM.
Cee Jay (01-19-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

Couple of car launchers.

Carwebguru Car Launcher

Agama Car Launcher turns blue @ night

The following 7 users liked this post by Sean W:
arenaej (01-31-2021), jahummer (01-31-2021), kj07xk (02-01-2021), LoudHogRider (02-03-2021), peterv8 (01-31-2021), tmich (02-01-2021), u102768 (02-01-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-31-2021, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member

I was also able to locate a virtual power button off of Google Play that allows me to shut down the tablet. It's called Menu Button. You can see it on the lower left of the pics. I don't think the current draw on a tablet matters for daily drivers but it's good to have.

I've requested the vendor allow me to root (admin rights) without voiding the warranty so I can focus on changes to Temp display (Fahrenheit). I doubt they'll approve. I also want to get my hands on power management so when I run some apps, I don't have to continue to grant permissions.

LoudHogRider (02-03-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 10:16 PM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
I was also able to locate a virtual power button off of Google Play that allows me to shut down the tablet. It's called Menu Button. You can see it on the lower left of the pics. I don't think the current draw on a tablet matters for daily drivers but it's good to have.

I've requested the vendor allow me to root (admin rights) without voiding the warranty so I can focus on changes to Temp display (Fahrenheit). I doubt they'll approve. I also want to get my hands on power management so when I run some apps, I don't have to continue to grant permissions.
and when you're done with your unit I'll send you mine!:-D

I like the look of carwebguru, is it just downloading and install?
Nice with the gauges, is it Torque Pro's gauges or carwebguru?

Old 02-01-2021, 02:15 AM
Received 228 Likes on 112 Posts

I've requested the vendor allow me to root (admin rights) without voiding the warranty so I can focus on changes to Temp display (Fahrenheit). I doubt they'll approve.
Question- do you believe that if something happens warranty is going to help?
I bought mine too, will install in March probably. Not going to care about warranty, which is a sort of unrealistic. I would not send it back to China for verification etc (and that would be probably seller's expectation). Even if I bought it from an "EU warehouse", which took 3 weeks to arrive from (probably somewhere close to Beijing)...

Old 02-01-2021, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by peterv8
I like the look of carwebguru, is it just downloading and install?
Nice with the gauges, is it Torque Pro's gauges or carwebguru?
Yes Peter. carwebguru is just a download from play store. It's free with a once daily ad but I believe now you can buy it. I know you can buy custom screens and they have several free looks too. There are several videos on how to set it up which is easy.

Once you download and open it you'll be prompted to pick your home launcher "just once" or "always". Don't worry if you choose always. You can go into carwebguru settings and change your default home launcher. Same applies to Agama.

Regarding the gauges, they are all Torque Pro floating widgets created using Torque Dashboard. Once TP is launched, they launch. Of course you have to add the ones you want and choose the size. The two larger ones on my screen are "medium" and the others are "Small". Also I have a separate screen for TP that holds multiple gauges and multiple screens. These are just the at a glance ones.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tmich
Question- do you believe that if something happens warranty is going to help?
I bought mine too, will install in March probably. Not going to care about warranty, which is a sort of unrealistic. I would not send it back to China for verification etc (and that would be probably seller's expectation). Even if I bought it from an "EU warehouse", which took 3 weeks to arrive from (probably somewhere close to Beijing)...
Hi tmich. My best guess ( I have a 2 year warranty) is that the entire unit will not be available in two years. Where is the demand going to come from given the limited production of the X150? Having said that, I expect that they will honor the warranty but can't be certain and in the short term I would get a replacement. Long term maybe a pro-rated refund who knows?

I've filed 2 disputes over the years with alixpress and both were rapidly resolved in my favor. In any event, I haven't even left the garage so I'm not going to root it. Firmware is isn't my worry. The hardware is. It looks like the can bus has a part number on in and the tablet itself is a spreadrum. beyond that, the circuit board under the heat sink is probably the most vulnerable part.

When you get yours, if you want to root it back up your original, send me the rooted firmware and I can take a stab at a couple of things.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:49 AM

You got my point. I'm also positive about outcome of a claim. Happy to help - as long as you tell me what to do, as I don't see any option to connect this device to a PC.

Old 02-01-2021, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

You got my point. I'm also positive about outcome of a claim. Happy to help - as long as you tell me what to do, as I don't see any option to connect this device to a PC.
USB to USB is the only way. The unit comes with two USB connections.

Old 02-01-2021, 10:49 AM

Don't see any usb connector in a visible place. Can you show me where do you have yours (do you have any picture). Of course don't want you to take a whole screen off

Old 02-01-2021, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Don't see any usb connector in a visible place. Can you show me where do you have yours (do you have any picture). Of course don't want you to take a whole screen off
See post 203 - there are 2 USB cables (#1, 3) in the pic. The cables are at least 15" long. I hung one down through each side of the console. I can't show them because I have them tucked under the leather running along side the shift gate but they work.

Old 02-01-2021, 01:04 PM

Okay, USD port attached to a device. Now I need to organize USB to USB cable (can't find any at home :/). I will try doing it in upcoming days.

Do I understand correctly, that you have them available to plug in something to the tablet? It means that they are sort of optional (or by design used for an unneeded feature)?!

Old 02-01-2021, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

Okay, USD port attached to a device. Now I need to organize USB to USB cable (can't find any at home :/). I will try doing it in upcoming days.

Do I understand correctly, that you have them available to plug in something to the tablet? It means that they are sort of optional (or by design used for an unneeded feature)?!
Optional until you need one:-)

On the drivers side I used to run a charging cable to the cubby for my phone.
The other side I'm using for the TPMS receiver.
I recommend running them down low out either side of the center stack and then just tuck under the side console runners so you will always have access without having to remove the unit. You can just leave them tucked at the footwell also. They may be long enough that you can feed one into your glovebox too. Or you can get an extension cable and mount the USB ports in the cubby as well.
Kurt used one to insert a thumb drive and load his music. I just connect CarPlay (wireless) and play music through my phone.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:53 AM
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
I have SOUND! I disconnected the battery terminals, touched them together and swapped out the red-white RCA audio connections to another input (labeled as audio OUT, not audio IN) and I'm able to get sound
I have the same problem with sound.
What do you mean by "disconnected the battery terminals"? What battery? What terminals?
You mean the car battery?
You mean touching the car battery cables together will get me sound?

Old 02-05-2021, 11:51 AM
Received 421 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunnenkoenig
I have the same problem with sound.
What do you mean by "disconnected the battery terminals"? What battery? What terminals?
You mean the car battery?
You mean touching the car battery cables together will get me sound?
Yes, I was referring to the battery cables in that post. It's a way to do a quick electrical system reset. But I don't think it's necessary. In my case, I simply had the RCA audio connections going into the wrong inputs. Once I made that swap, things cleared right up.

I will let you know that under the audio settings, there is a control for "loudness". Yours may be dialed way down. I discovered this one when a favorite song came across my playlist, I went to crank it up and it didn't "thunder" the way I hoped it might. Turned the dial up on the loudness (actually, drug the bar to the right) and it put out all the volume I could need.

I'll also try and save your eardrums and let you know that under that same audio settings section, there's a default loudness setting that is useful. Mine was cranked up to the middle of the scale, so when I'd start the car and the radio or music came on, it blew me out of the seat. I've got mine turned waaaaaay down to like "4" on the loudness scale, which is fine for startup volume in the garage. I can (and do) turn it up once I'm safely on the road.

Hope that info helps. Good luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by LoudHogRider:
Hunnenkoenig (02-05-2021), ralphwg (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 11:56 AM
Received 421 Likes on 205 Posts

Optional until you need one:-)

On the drivers side I used to run a charging cable to the cubby for my phone.
The other side I'm using for the TPMS receiver.
I recommend running them down low out either side of the center stack and then just tuck under the side console runners so you will always have access without having to remove the unit. You can just leave them tucked at the footwell also. They may be long enough that you can feed one into your glovebox too. Or you can get an extension cable and mount the USB ports in the cubby as well.
Kurt used one to insert a thumb drive and load his music. I just connect CarPlay (wireless) and play music through my phone.
Sean - I switched my USB cable location and I'm now using a "wired" vs. wireless connection for my CarPlay. For some reason, when the phone paired via the WiFi connection with the screen, it lost it's LTE data connection to the world rendering my maps and other data-centric apps useless under CarPlay.

Plugged it into a lightning cable yesterday (in the garage - that baby ain't going nowhere in these temps!) and after 10-15 seconds, my phone basically asked me, "I see you're WiFi has no data access. Would you like to use your LTE connection instead?" I think I sprained my finger I stabbed the screen so fast. Mission accomplished as I was able to see map data, text message playback, etc.

Are you getting a different user experience with your wireless connection? As is my nature, I've probably monkeyed with a setting and messed things up.

Old 02-05-2021, 03:04 PM
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you for the info.
I will try the battery thing tomorrow.

I know about the audio settings and I tried to change the audio connections in every possible way.

Quick Reply: 2008 XK - help upgrading Navigation/iPhone system