XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2008 XK - help upgrading Navigation/iPhone system

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
Sean - I switched my USB cable location and I'm now using a "wired" vs. wireless connection for my CarPlay. For some reason, when the phone paired via the WiFi connection with the screen, it lost it's LTE data connection to the world rendering my maps and other data-centric apps useless under CarPlay.

Plugged it into a lightning cable yesterday (in the garage - that baby ain't going nowhere in these temps!) and after 10-15 seconds, my phone basically asked me, "I see you're WiFi has no data access. Would you like to use your LTE connection instead?" I think I sprained my finger I stabbed the screen so fast. Mission accomplished as I was able to see map data, text message playback, etc.

Are you getting a different user experience with your wireless connection? As is my nature, I've probably monkeyed with a setting and messed things up.
Kurt, I haven't really done much with CarPlay yet. It connects wirelessly and then I turn off wifi on, I don't know. With the music on, the map displays my location but it may just be staying still from the time I had the wifi. I do have to connect my phone via bluetooth manually though and I get a message basically asking me to swear to God that I won't text and drive. Then everything works. I only have messages, maps and music apps turned on for CarPlay. There's nothing to set up in the Tesla style unit that I'm aware of. I did have to reset my phone once because it wouldn't connect but hasn't happened since. I just plan on putzing with it once I can take the car out of storage. Most likely doing 60 mph in a 30 mph zone with the music cranked during rush hour while weaving in and out of traffic:-)

The following users liked this post:
LoudHogRider (02-08-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 08:53 PM
Received 308 Likes on 151 Posts

Sean - I switched my USB cable location and I'm now using a "wired" vs. wireless connection for my CarPlay. For some reason, when the phone paired via the WiFi connection with the screen, it lost it's LTE data connection to the world rendering my maps and other data-centric apps useless under CarPlay.

Plugged it into a lightning cable yesterday (in the garage - that baby ain't going nowhere in these temps!) and after 10-15 seconds, my phone basically asked me, "I see you're WiFi has no data access. Would you like to use your LTE connection instead?" I think I sprained my finger I stabbed the screen so fast. Mission accomplished as I was able to see map data, text message playback, etc.

Are you getting a different user experience with your wireless connection? As is my nature, I've probably monkeyed with a setting and messed things up.
I think you may have been connected to your house WiFi instead of the WiFi connection to your phone...

Cee Jay (02-05-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 01:14 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

I don't get it with carplay?
The unit has everything my phone can do, why go thru the hassle and connecting with carplay?
Google store lets you download everything you want or need? I'm logged in with my google account and downloaded the
apps I use on my phone. The only thing I need to do is turn on Wifi hotspot on my phone and I have internet.

Hunnenkoenig (02-06-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 02:18 AM
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by peterv8
The unit has everything my phone can do, why go thru the hassle and connecting with carplay?
Exactly that.
I don't understand people, what they think what Car Play is?

Car Play is for cars which have original branded head units which can not do anything except playing radio, DVD and navigation, but you want to add the full functionality of your mobile phone with all the apps you like, like a better navigation than the factory one etc.

If you have a fully functioning mobile phone in your dash, you don't need car play.

Old 02-06-2021, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by peterv8
Exactly that.
I don't understand people, what they think what Car Play is?

Car Play is for cars which have original branded head units which can not do anything except playing radio, DVD and navigation, but you want to add the full functionality of your mobile phone with all the apps you like, like a better navigation than the factory one etc.

If you have a fully functioning mobile phone in your dash, you don't need car play.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

Car play is for Apple people. It is the equivalent of Android Auto.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:09 AM

I have an iPhone and I rather buy an Android Head Unit for all my cars, before I mess around with CarPlay.

CarPlay and Android Auto is only good if you don't want to change your factory head unit and you don't want freedom, but you like to be told what to do. :-P

The following 2 users liked this post by Hunnenkoenig:
peterv8 (02-10-2021), sgtm7 (02-07-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your posts, it’s given me the nudge to go ahead and follow your lead and get an android 21” screen upgrade for my car. I have just joined this forum and found it extremely informative, so thanks everyone.

I have an 2014 XKR in the UK. It already has a reversing camera, but with the new screen and set up, I don’t seem to be getting any video, only sound and the distance markers. I’ve set it up as in the photos previously shown, but without any yellow AV cable available to me.

Also, the set up doesn’t allow for the cooled seats, only heated, any ideas how to get over these two hurdles?

Old 02-10-2021, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

H RogNic. See the pic in post 203. The reverse camera is the yellow RCA on the top left of the pic. It's not with the video/audio cable cluster. I don't understand what you mean by "but without any yellow AV cable available to me". Are you saying the cable isn't there?

Regarding cooled seats. I don't see it as an option on mine either but I don't have that option anyway. We were waiting on Ralph to get his installed to confirm it does/ doesn't exist. It appears you may have confirmed it and that's a question you need to take back to the seller.

arenaej (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Sean,
I do have that yellow AV cable from the new head unit, just nothing from the car to plug into it! I don’t know where the feed from the camera comes from to plug/put into the new head unit.

Does this Co-ax feed from the rear camera, or is it for DAB radio it appears to be spare.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

The Fakra cable you have in your hand is for the camera. You need a Fakra to RCA converter cable.

Don't hold me to the color of the fakra though. you want one that's universal.

Last edited by Sean W; 02-11-2021 at 08:10 AM.
RogNic (02-11-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 07:58 AM

A couple of updates from "insights" gained in the last day or so:

1) The "speaker" device that I really couldn't decide what it was for ... has a purpose: it's the microphone for the hands-free bluetooth telephone operation..
No it is not. That is the speaker for the parking sensors.

I have the same problem with low volume microphone in my x250 XF and I tried that black thing and I spoke right into it and it didn't do anything, but when I disconnected it, I had no sound when I reverse parked my car.
You can put that thing anywhere behind your dash.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member

The mic is built into the unit and there is a pinhole in the left corner of the screen. That is the mic. Nothing for you to do. It sounds like your car is picking up road noise? Perhaps some ver soft foam around the top left corner that still allows for the facia to be places and shouldn't interfere with heat dispersion.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:33 AM
Received 228 Likes on 112 Posts

Quick question regarding mic. This system uses only own built-in mic or it also uses external OEM mic (from an A-pillar)?

I'm currently working on a headliner's upholstery. I could potentially get rid of an external mic on a-pillar, which doesn't look good, if only new built-in mic is used for phone calls...

Old 02-15-2021, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tmich
Quick question regarding mic. This system uses only own built-in mic or it also uses external OEM mic (from an A-pillar)?

I'm currently working on a headliner's upholstery. I could potentially get rid of an external mic on a-pillar, which doesn't look good, if only new built-in mic is used for phone calls...
It' a good question. The tablet of course has a mic built in and the A Pillar mic is connected to the OEM Integrated audio module. The IAM is incorporated into the new unit. Whether it's using the pillar mic or not would have to be tested.
Testing could be easily done by talking with someone on the phone and using a clicker at the A-pillar and again at the head unit. If the sound is faint at the A -Pillar and louder at the unit you have your answer. Since it's incorporated, I assume the A pillar mic is used in phone calls and the mic in the unit is used for google and Siri commands but I won't know until spring:-)

Personally, if I was redoing the upholstery, I would replace the internal one and keep OEM. That's just me.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:11 AM

In the 7" version there is no microphone on the device.

It uses the built in Jaguar microphone, I am 100% certain.

if the head unit uses its own microphone, the chinese always add an external microphone to the package.

On my device there is no hole on the screen as you can also see in my videos and no external microphone was delivered.
My 7" device is practically the same as yours just with a different screen. If nothing goes to that hole on your frame, then it is not a microphone.

When I tried to find the issue with the microphone, I also tried to speak into the screen, into the Jaguar's microphone and also into that round black thing. It didn't matter where I spoke into, the other person always said, my voice is like Bane's from Batman and very low volume.

There was not a single moment where it would get better, so I am pretty sure that the microphone is not on the device. At least not on the smaller one.

The only other option I can imagine is that you need an external microphone attached to one of the audio cables and they didn't put one into the box, because they are simply cheap and the low volume voice is coming from only the plug taking the sound, which I am not even sure if it's possible and wouldn't explain why the voice is always the same volume from everywhere in the cabin.

Last edited by Hunnenkoenig; 02-15-2021 at 09:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hunnenkoenig:
LoudHogRider (02-22-2021), Sean W (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Hunnenkoenig
In the 7" version there is no microphone on the device.

It uses the built in Jaguar microphone, I am 100% certain.
For the sake of clarity, you have an XF and although your's appears to be a different manufacturer, the design could very well be the same. As far as I can tell, there is no 7" version for the XK. The info is still helpful. I'd rather sound like Batman than Bale though...

Old 02-15-2021, 03:42 PM

@Sean W Yes, you are right, your car is different and for that car there is no 7" version, but the seller you bought your device from is the same and the device behind the frame is the same, believe me, I checked.
I also don't think that there are more than one manufacturer for this yet.

Do you see any electronic going to those holes in your frame? As far as I remember from the pictures in this thread, the frame has only one electronic component on the bottom.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:20 AM
Received 111 Likes on 40 Posts

Nice! I try it

Last edited by Roger Cavling; 02-16-2021 at 07:23 AM. Reason: hmm the post went wrong,,, newbi me :)
Old 03-12-2021, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Hunnenkoenig
@Sean W Yes, you are right, your car is different and for that car there is no 7" version, but the seller you bought your device from is the same and the device behind the frame is the same, believe me, I checked.
I also don't think that there are more than one manufacturer for this yet.

Do you see any electronic going to those holes in your frame? As far as I remember from the pictures in this thread, the frame has only one electronic component on the bottom.
OK, I had a chance to take a drive yesterday. My wife said she can barely understand me over the phone. She hears the turn signal better than me.
I pulled the XK wiring diagram and the mic in the A-pillar connects to the IAM. As this connection plugs into the new unit, it should be working.
Another thing I attempted was google voice. When I press it, voice appears on screen but is unresponsive. So I'm a little lost as that function should work with or without a phone connected since it a standalone Android device.
peterV8 - I know you direct wired your speakers. Should have no bearing on others hearing you on a call but both Loudhogrider and I appear to have the same issue.

Quick Reply: 2008 XK - help upgrading Navigation/iPhone system