XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2008 XK - help upgrading Navigation/iPhone system

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 06:31 PM
Received 421 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by arenaej
Just a thought, but is there a difference when connected to CarPlay via usb vs. wireless?
I'm strictly connected via USB on this device. I had the wireless working, but it uses a WiFi connection between the device and my iPhone to launch the CarPlay app, and if I do that I can't seem to also get LTE data to support the CarPlay apps such as Apple Maps. I had the same experience when switched back to "wired", but after about 30 seconds the screen was smart enough to note that there was no data connection, and it asked me if I wanted to use the LTE data found on the phone. Why, yes I would!

I haven't launched wireless CarPlay since so the matter may have resolved itself, but I've got a short 1-foot USB-to-Lightning in gold color to match my vehicle interior and it's working. That's my cue to stop monkeying with it and enjoy the driving experience.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:11 PM
Received 305 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Thanks arenaej, no difference connecting either way. All other functions as designed.
I saw an article today that may help. Connect your iPhone via USB as a media device. The radio should see it as an iPod and allow you to adjust sound through the equalizer settings on the radio. Then connect through CarPlay. The eq settings should carry over...

Old 03-17-2021, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

I saw an article today that may help. Connect your iPhone via USB as a media device. The radio should see it as an iPod and allow you to adjust sound through the equalizer settings on the radio. Then connect through CarPlay. The eq settings should carry over...
Is there an app for that?

Old 03-17-2021, 03:54 PM

Is there an app for that?
There should be EQ settings in android. Media settings as well...

Old 03-18-2021, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Default Resolved CarPlay voice

arenaej, thanks for this tip. Helped a bit I think. I ultimately reset my network settings on the iPhone. Once I did that, I connected to the head unit via BT first, then CarPlay. Now as before everything works except calls - where no one can hear me but the difference is the phone selects BT as the mic source and it works. Once I select CarPlay as the mic source, I'm muted again. As long as I can can be heard and since the iPhone is defaulting to the BT mic, I'm good.

The settings work a bit different on the head unit than you suggest but I did 2 things. First, I changed the sound from Aux to iPod. Then I went out to the sound mixer and turned up the iPod volume. Ultimately, I think the network reset is what worked but in any case, I'm set as the calls work from CarPlay, just uses the BT mic. This wasn't an option before, meaning, the 3 mic choices iPhone, BT, CarPlay were not all visible on the phone earlier.

EDIT: - I haven't been able to find a good tutorial on how CarPlay is supposed to work so perhaps the voice over BT is the way it should work. If you guys with CarPlay could confirm I would appreciate it.

Last edited by Sean W; 03-18-2021 at 01:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LoudHogRider (03-19-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 02:19 PM
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

If you guys with CarPlay could confirm I would appreciate it.
To be honest I never understood, why people want to use CarPlay or Android Auto with an Android head unit that can do all the things that their mobile phone can do, but anyway, I finally received my replace screen and the tyre pressure kit, so I will take off the dash again and do the work with the device and I will test it with CarPlay and AndroidAuto over USB and with an external microphone and try to find out how to get it work.

Old 03-18-2021, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Hunnenkoenig
To be honest I never understood, why people want to use CarPlay or Android Auto with an Android head unit that can do all the things that their mobile phone can do, but anyway, I finally received my replace screen and the tyre pressure kit, so I will take off the dash again and do the work with the device and I will test it with CarPlay and AndroidAuto over USB and with an external microphone and try to find out how to get it work.
Thanks Hunnenkoenig. I appreciate it. Why use it? Primarily it's hands free - Voice Control - "Hey Siri", "Hey Google"
The setup interfaces with laptop - iPhone - car, headphones, for music, same playlists etc... and it hands off from one to the other...

But in the end, you either like them or you don't. Personal preferences I guess. I have it and once working, it requires us to do nothing but start the car.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:34 PM

I haven't been able to find a good tutorial on how CarPlay is supposed to work so perhaps the voice over BT is the way it should work. If you guys with CarPlay could confirm I would appreciate it.
Sean, I have the Cambo CarPlay on my XK. I don’t connect my iPhone to the Bluetooth because when I do, and I get a call, both Bluetooth and CarPlay try to answer. The CarPlay calls use a microphone connected to the CarPlay system. The OEM microphone isn’t in the mix. On my android radio, when I’m connected to CarPlay, Bluetooth is disabled. There’s a microphone built into the head unit that works well. When I answer a call I usually need to turn up the volume on the steering wheel controls so I can hear and be heard. The default volume is too low but raising the volume seems to change both the microphone and speaker. The CarPlay I got from Cambo has been the best. It’s reliable, the wireless connects instantly, makes and takes calls perfectly.

Sean W (03-18-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 10:31 AM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunnenkoenig
To be honest I never understood, why people want to use CarPlay or Android Auto with an Android head unit that can do all the things that their mobile phone can do.
I am the same way. Any app I want to use, I just download it from the playstore, install to the head unit, and run it from the head unit. I don't even take my phone out of my pocket when I am in my car.

The following 2 users liked this post by sgtm7:
Hunnenkoenig (03-19-2021), peterv8 (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 01:23 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtm7
I am the same way. Any app I want to use, I just download it from the playstore, install to the head unit, and run it from the head unit. I don't even take my phone out of my pocket when I am in my car.
Me too!:-)

Old 03-20-2021, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sgtm7
I appreciate the input but wasn't asking for alternatives. I have them and know what they are. I'm trying to solve a specific problem for a specific aftermarket head unit for me and others that once solved, I can post in the DIY sticky.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
arenaej (03-20-2021), kj07xk (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Default iPhone Connection resolved

At least for me - iPhone X XS max on 14.4.1 iOS. Wireless connection. Select CarLink on head unit first. Once connected, connect BT.
For me, I did the standard connection guides for various car models which state to connect BT first. This just led to Carlink staying in "connecting" status.
So now, I connect via Carlink first, then CarPlay launches. Once that's done, BT connects.
All apps function, calls go through BT connection which is automatic on the phone now. I don't have to select.

I'll add this to the sticky.

So a little automation as well. I use the Agama Car Launcher instead of the OEM screen. It allows apps to auto launch after start up. So I launch Carlink first @ 5 seconds, then Torque Pro widgets @ 20 second, then BT @ 30 seconds, then finally launch Torque.

LoudHogRider (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 06:05 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Sean, your wrap looks very nice! Good job. Well, thanks to LA County they have delayed the vaccinations for us old timers. Maybe, just maybe late this week or early next week. Between the incompetent state government and incompetent county government, as of last night,only 23% of the available vaccine has been injected!
Hey Ralph, I hope everything is going well. Any chance you had the installation done. I'm interested in knowing your thoughts.

Old 03-23-2021, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Glen - The installation is scheduled for tomorrow (Tues the 23rd). I will post the results.

DGL (03-23-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 05:27 AM
Received 228 Likes on 112 Posts

So Ralph how is a new screen? Are cooling seats working?

Old 03-25-2021, 06:56 AM
Received 111 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Cavling
Nice! I try it
Very nice tip,, Thanks. Plug and play,,all working fine,

even if i had premium sound,, this unit is chrisp and clear and stronger.,,

The following 4 users liked this post by Roger Cavling:
DGL (03-25-2021), LoudHogRider (03-26-2021), peterv8 (03-25-2021), ralphwg (03-26-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 08:42 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Cavling
Very nice tip,, Thanks. Plug and play,,all working fine,

even if i had premium sound,, this unit is chrisp and clear and stronger.,,

What have you lost?
1. Ability to extinguish faults showing on instrument cluster. Is there an icon on the screen to do this like the factory screen? This can be tested my forcing a TPMS fault my lowing the tire pressure in 1 tire.

2. No heated windshield icon? I have a heated windshield which is useless because I never use it, but it is a factory feature.

3. Simple plug and play for backup camera (especially for 2012-2015)?

4. Is the screen visible wearing polarized sun glasses? Someone had mentioned the screen was not properly engineered to be viewable wearing polarized glasses.

The following 2 users liked this post by DGL:
Cee Jay (03-25-2021), ralphwg (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

I'm picking up the car tomorrow. I had them hardwire the ADU while they are putting in infotainment upgrade and they had to order a couple of parts that were delivered today.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

I've read every single post in this thread, all 358 of them. I still don't see any definitive answers to three specific questions.

1. Can you control Cooled Seats
2. Can you clear in-dash warnings, such as TPMS fault
3. Danged if I can remember the third one as I just woke up. Any help?

If I can't use those features, I won't get one of these things.

Old 03-26-2021, 01:29 PM
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I was able to do the work yesterday and today, because finally we had nice weather.

I tried to attach an external microphone to my device, but I had to realize that there is no plug for an external microphone, so it is probably not intended to use an external microphone.

I tested the Bluetooth phoning with an Android Sony Xperia z5 and an iPhone Xs and both devices had the same issues on both ends.

When I called the iPhone from the Android, my wife said, it was even worse, than the iPhone.

Still the same issue: Too low volume from far away.

I had the feeling, that the phone's microphone was used during the Bluetooth calling, becasue when I've put the iPhone directly to my mouth and spoke into the mic, my wife said, my voice is distorted extremely.
On Android my voice was distorted also from the distance.

Quick Reply: 2008 XK - help upgrading Navigation/iPhone system