XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2008 XK - help upgrading Navigation/iPhone system

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 05:22 PM
Received 87 Likes on 25 Posts

Did you manage to get the CarPlay working , mine is fine but at the very start I had the same issue you describe with the perpetual spinning but after turning the Bluetooth on and off a few times it did start working .. For me .... I am overseas at the moment so I can’t help or suggest much till I get back and try mine again and see if I can replicate the issue I had before

QUOTE=LoudHogRider;2324101]It's kind of weird, but when I first plugged in the screen and was fiddling around with it, I was convinced that I had seen some of the CarPlay apps (e.g. Messages) in the screen as I was connected via Bluetooth and WiFi. I've attempted several times to reconnect via the iPhone settings to add those features again, but failed. It can find locate the device without issue, but a perpetual "spinning" icon as it cannot actually finish the connection.

I'll try it with the USB cables and that CarLink app to see what kind of luck I have with that approach. Appreciate your post on the matter. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Old 12-11-2020, 06:00 PM
Received 87 Likes on 25 Posts

Congrats it looks great and I hope you are enjoying the new toy

For me I have no regrets at all and can say the system is stable.

The audio is improved and it has given the car a fresher look. I enjoy all the features gained compared to the original unit .

How do you feel after being able to finally enjoy it after you’re tedious issues you faced ?

I do occasionally have an issue whereby there is no sound , a restart of the car always solves that.

I also put in the reverse camera but I am looking for a more integrated solution as it’s slightly off centre and I would rather have the camera more concealed than the way it is now . Once i get this done I’ll post up some pics as I think I have a good solution to solve this .

on occasion the reverse camera doesn’t display on screen but again on a restart it’s fine ... I think this has only happened twice in 3.5 months so no big deal.

I really am considering the 360 Camera option as I’ve seen it in action and is rather impressive but im
still looking into the best solutions since it’s quite a bit of work to get it all done.

I found some led door sills that I ordered and will also post that once installed.

Did you install a separate speaker for the parking sensors ?

I did encounter a lot of errors due to a weak battery at the very start after the install and did mention that in my earlier post , it’s good that people are aware during the install with many restarts it’s quite draining on the battery and the faults starts to pop up including my power steering failing on me ... however after a 20 min drive everything was fine again.

I also don’t like the aerial and am looking into alternatives to possibly disable the factory one and put in an alternative ... I don’t like the delay for the aerial to retract due to the powering down of the screen.

I added a wireless phone charging pad in place of my cup holders and moved the cup holders inside the centre armrest . That’s ended up as a great upgrade since I have a specific place for my phone and it charges .

Once I get back in the new year I can send and post pics of this as it may help others ...

My original thread was closed so I will continue to post here as I progress with the new plans but that won’t be sometime into the new year ..

QUOTE=LoudHogRider;2324219]Honestly, I'm still tinkering. And if it means I never have to see another TPMS code again, it's been well worth it! With that said, TPMS provides a valuable service and I've recently added new "sending units" in the wheels and a new AGM battery, which combined to eliminate all of my previous TPMS error messages that were driving me bat shyte crazy.

What did I gain? For me (with a failing head unit, or at least the Bluetooth module), what I've gained to date is:

CarPlay!

Access to my entire iTunes library on my iPhone

I was playing around this morning on a trip to the store, and notices that the "Messages" app in CarTunes will read my inbound texts to me and alllow me to use TTS (Text-to-Speech) dictation to compose outbound messages.

Even though I had the Costco purchased solar-powered backup camera solution, I've gained an integrated backup cam that - thanks to a certain board member who gets confused about LHD and RHD power connections in the rear seat auxiliary power box - also displays video and audio warnings from my proximity sensors. Since I "cost justified" the spend with she-who-must-be-obeyed (a.k.a. the fun suppressor) on the safety elements of hands-free calling and having a backup camera, I'm thrilled that I was able to meet those two objectives.

And - true confessions of a natural blonde - I've also increased the clarity of the video screen by finally removing the protective film layers that it was ensconced in for shipping, etc. Fiddling with the "brightness" settings under the "Settings" menu - which has a TON of layers to it - has also improved the visual presentation and touch screen responsiveness.

There are things I haven't tried yet (e.g. cruise control) to ensure that ALL of my steering wheel controls are still functional. The volume, "next channel" and "voice" icon on the left hand side are all operational, and I'll test the rest of them out over the next several days.

One of the things I've "lost" per se is Fahrenheit temperature measurements. The screen only displays in Celsius. I'm old enough to remember learning everything about the Metric system in grade school because we'd all be converting sometime in the 70's ... but I can figure out what's warm and what's cold. That's an annoyance to me, but not a deal breaker. And I've noticed one (1) misspelled word in one of the sub-menus - also annoying to my OCD mind, but not a deal breaker.

I'll continue to monitor and report on things I find that might be of interest to the board, and of course I'll continue to "take requests" and respond to questions. Soon, I'll have company with @peterv8 as his will EVENTUALLY leave whatever airport it's trapped in and arrive for installation, etc.[/QUOTE]

The following 2 users liked this post by Luke Martin:
DGL (12-19-2020), ralphwg (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke Martin
really ??? What was suspicious about sharing and being one of the first people to fit this kind of screen in the car and share the details and experiences about it ??? With pictures , answer people’s questions and try help others ???
Luke, please accept my apology.
Stuart

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (12-11-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 12:43 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
A couple of updates from "insights" gained in the last day or so:

1) The "speaker" device that I really couldn't decide what it was for ... has a purpose: it's the microphone for the hands-free bluetooth telephone operation. My "epiphany" came today when I was traveling to the grocery store talking with a buddy, and he asked me where my new mic was located (behind the radio, dangling on some wires).
Me: "Why do you ask?"
Tim: (Because his name is "Tim"): "Because I can hear your motor and your turn signals better than I can hear you. Call me back when you move that thing."
Me: "Well ______! That means yet I've got to pull that thing again!" (announcer's voice: "It's 4 bolts and one trim piece, you baby.")

That thing back there that looks like a speaker - apparently it's apparently the microphone!
I don't think that's the microphone.
Think it's in the upper left corner on the wooden frame. Also have a small hole next to the hazard warning light switch.
My previous android units have all had bad=cheap microphones and been worthless to use as handsfree.
Ask your vendor what the "speaker" is for, asking mine is useless as they don't answer!

LoudHogRider (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 01:10 AM

Haven't done anything in a couple of days but will connect it all except speakers today and see what works! I will though
connect two small speakers I have laying around to see that audio works.
I think I've found a way to keep the OEM connector in place, will know next week if it works as I need a special tool
I can borrow from work.

Need help figuring out speaker cable positive and negative on the android unit. The wires are green, purple, grey and white. All
have one solid colour wire and one with a black line on it. Which is the positive and negative?

Old 12-12-2020, 07:17 AM
Received 421 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by peterv8
I don't think that's the microphone.
Think it's in the upper left corner on the wooden frame. Also have a small hole next to the hazard warning light switch.
My previous android units have all had bad=cheap microphones and been worthless to use as handsfree.
Ask your vendor what the "speaker" is for, asking mine is useless as they don't answer!
I did ask them about the "speaker" device, and they're checking with an engineer and will respond on Monday (China-time, that is). There is a small hole in my genuine imitation burr wood trim piece that may have been intended to house a microphone or camera, but there's nothing behind it that matches up.

IF that speaker looking thingy is actually the hands-free microphone, then it might be interesting to get @Sean W to delve into the wiring schematics to see if he can find the wires for the OEM microphone. I believe mine is mounted on the driver's side post, and it would be nice to splice OUT the speaker looking thingy and splice IN the OEM mic.

Last edited by LoudHogRider; 12-12-2020 at 07:20 AM.
peterv8 (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 07:26 AM

I did ask them about the "speaker" device, and they're checking with an engineer and will respond on Monday (China-time, that is). There is a small hole in my genuine imitation burr wood trim piece that may have been intended to house a microphone or camera, but there's nothing behind it that matches up.
Yes there is, look at the upper left side of the screen you'll see what I think is the microphone. :-)
Because of the badly placed microphone it has the terrible sound.

Old 12-12-2020, 07:32 AM

Got mine working, very pleased so far. I hope in the week to come I'll have the speakers connected.

I painted my frame with tint colour and got closer to the OEM wood.

Before

After
Will see when it's in place. :-)

Old 12-12-2020, 08:33 AM
Received 312 Likes on 147 Posts

I painted my frame with tint colour and got closer to the OEM wood.
You can also try to find a company that can hydro transfer a print onto it which comes closer to the original.
another example link

Last edited by Cabrio Bob; 12-12-2020 at 08:35 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Cabrio Bob:
peterv8 (12-12-2020), ralphwg (12-12-2020), Stuart S (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

IF that speaker looking thingy is actually the hands-free microphone, then it might be interesting to get @Sean W to delve into the wiring schematics to see if he can find the wires for the OEM microphone. I believe mine is mounted on the driver's side post, and it would be nice to splice OUT the speaker looking thingy and splice IN the OEM mic.
Not sure it that giant round thing is a mic either. It looks like a speaker to me, but at any rate, the wires come right out of the integrated audio module that you removed - IP057 pin 4 RED (positive), IP057 pin 5 Green(Negative), so I'm guessing you already have it plugged into your unit. Connector IP057 is the 14 pin gray plug you pulled from the back of the CD player aka Integrated Audio Module. (And FWIW - same wiring colors on LHD and RHD cars:-)

LoudHogRider (12-13-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

+1 on hydro dip transfer. Years ago, I had it done on my Engine Appearance Cover in carbon fiber and it still looks great.

Because that bezel is small, you may want to try an inexpensive DIY kit. Just Google "Burl Wood Hydro Dip Kits" and you'll probably find several vendors in Europe. I'm sure they will send you samples to compare to your real wood. Here's one in the USA:
https://www.mydipkit.com/product-cat...rain-dip-kits/

Good luck!

peterv8 (12-12-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Hey guys, I'm curious, is CarPlay on the unit wired only or do you have a wireless option?

Kurt, you might have missed it or I might have as this thread is long, but asking again, did you have an issue with customs or did it pass through without incident?

Old 12-13-2020, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

Some info pics on the connections and Kurt, peterV8 - I have no idea what the buzzer does. Shot clock?

The following 3 users liked this post by Sean W:
jahummer (12-13-2020), LoudHogRider (12-13-2020), ralphwg (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
Some info pics on the connections and Kurt, peterV8 - I have no idea what the buzzer does. Shot clock?

Most connections are obvious, the one I had problems with was which to use the 2 loop connectors but Kurt helped me.

There are 3 of these connectors, the one with a green connector attached is connected to the blue box that comes with the screen.

Sean W (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 12:32 PM

Think that buzzer is for sound when you touch the screen and other warning sounds.

LoudHogRider (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 01:39 PM

That's one heckuva find, Sean. Wish I'd have had that pre-install. I believe one of the USB antennas is an HDMI "antenna" (cabled connection), but I don't recall which one without tearing out my screen. Again.

Buzzer = shot clock. LMFAO.

Last edited by LoudHogRider; 12-13-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:46 PM

Think that buzzer is for sound when you touch the screen and other warning sounds.
Very possible, Peter. I turned off the "sounds" option on screen taps as I find that kind of noise irritating (I do the same on my phones).

RE: CarPlay - I had it working once. I haven't been able to rediscover the magic since I took those pics. It now shows the wireless option as activated on the EasyCon app, but there's a certain order that I have to follow to connect my iPhone to the vehicle (WiFI, Bluetooth, App, CarPlay) and I cannot seem to figure it out lately. Full disclosure: I think I've changed a setting somewhere as I'm currently experiencing Bluetooth connectivity issues. That's no bueno for me. Back to fiddlin' with it.

Old 12-13-2020, 03:07 PM

Hey guys, I'm curious, is CarPlay on the unit wired only or do you have a wireless option?

Kurt, you might have missed it or I might have as this thread is long, but asking again, did you have an issue with customs or did it pass through without incident?
Sean - I forgot to answer the 2nd part of your question regarding "Customs". I think mine cleared in Hong Kong before UPS took possession of it. Once they had it in their system, it came directly to my residence. There was a delay between the Seller providing me a UPS tracking # and UPS actually showing it in their system, but once UPS showed it in their possession, it was delivered in 2 days. Not kidding.

Also - Bluetooth is working again. I took the screen out and re-pressed all of the connections into the back of the unit. They all "felt" snug, but I simply returned the unit to the dash, snapped in the trim piece and voila - Bluetooth.

RE: CarPlay - I've got EasyCon showing as connected, and the "Car Link" app shows connected. I deleted and re-installed the "EasyCon" app and it showed itself reconnecting to the iPhone. I'm able to find the vehicle under Settings/General/CarPlay, but I can't get CarPlay back on the screen again. I'm sure it's a simple setting I changed (e.g. "Have your vehicle share WiFi via Bluetooth Y/N?"), so once I figure out what switch I threw I suspect I'll get it back. Until then, I've got music via the USB cable & and USB thumb drive will all of my music on it, and I'm able to make & receive phone calls via Bluetooth (again), so life is better. Not perfect, but better.

Last edited by LoudHogRider; 12-13-2020 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Adding pics
Sean W (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member

I'm curious as to where/ what the loose wires connect from the power cable. In peterv8's pic I see ate least 3, green blue and purple.

Old 12-13-2020, 05:35 PM
Received 305 Likes on 149 Posts

RE: CarPlay - I've got EasyCon showing as connected, and the "Car Link" app shows connected. I deleted and re-installed the "EasyCon" app and it showed itself reconnecting to the iPhone. I'm able to find the vehicle under Settings/General/CarPlay, but I can't get CarPlay back on the screen again. I'm sure it's a simple setting I changed (e.g. "Have your vehicle share WiFi via Bluetooth Y/N?"), so once I figure out what switch I threw I suspect I'll get it back. Until then, I've got music via the USB cable & and USB thumb drive will all of my music on it, and I'm able to make & receive phone calls via Bluetooth (again), so life is better. Not perfect, but better.

It’s the CarLink app that gets you to CarPlay. In the CarLink app, go to settings. There should be a connection option...either USB or WiFi. Forget about the steering wheel control for wireless CarPlay. Choose wireless option in CarLink. On your iPhone, go to settings, Bluetooth and be sure you are connected to the android device. Then go to WiFi in phone settings and look for the android WiFi connection and once connected to that, CarPlay will appear. The android tablet is slower to react than your iPhone, so be patient and give it a minute...I have found that once this connection is established, it should happen automatically each time you start the car, but it takes a couple of minutes. If you are having trouble with Bluetooth connection swipe down from the top of your screen and there should be an option to reboot...hope this helps...

The following 2 users liked this post by arenaej:
LoudHogRider (12-13-2020), Sean W (12-13-2020)

Quick Reply: 2008 XK - help upgrading Navigation/iPhone system