XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2008 XKR Windscreen washers not working properly - need some help

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 05:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 XKR Windscreen washers not working properly - need some help

Hello my screen washers haven't been working properly for quite a while now, but since I only try and use the car when its sunny and dry it's normally not a big problem, but with the weather being very damp now I want it fixed as its bugging me. I have searched various forums and thanks to the help on there I believe I have found the problem.

Symptoms:
Washers put out a small amount of water on the first blast, this decreases on the second and third automatic squirts as the wipers move, and can sometimes just air bubbles coming out of the jets. Seems as if the pump would run for longer they would be fine.

Having taken advice on the forums I saw lots of issues about the pump filter potentially being blocked, or the jets or the pipes, so started my diagnosis like this:

1. Disconnected the T Piece non-return valve from the main washer hose from the pump to the wipers, plenty of water seems to be coming through, if i put my thumb over the pipe I can get a good high pressure squirt, suggests the pump is OK, filter probably not blocked and tube is fine.
2. To be sure the pump filter isn't clogged up I blew down this tube, easily got lots of bubbles in the reservoir, so I am pretty sure the pump is fine, and the filter isn't clogged.
3. Reconnected the T piece and disconnected both wiper tubes, get a decent flow from both sides towards the wipers, so the non-return is definitely letting water through.
4. Took the Non-return valve out completely and tried blowing through it - can blow through easily in all directions - so I think this is my issue, non-return is not holding the water in the pipes, so the water just goes straight back into the reservoir after the first blast and since subsequent blasts are shorter (automatically and you can't increase the duration as far as I know), not much water comes out.

So far so good - seems as if I have identified the root cause, just need to get a replacement non-return valve.

I found other posts with similar issues on a Jaguar XF and they were able to buy a part including a tube and the T-Piece for about £21 - expensive but I can live with that, so I tried to get one from a dealer. I was quoted two part numbers:-

C2P2951 - This is around £130 and from what I can tell is all the tubing for the headlight washers, not what I need at all (as well as a huge amount of money when all i want is a t piece non return valve.

C2P3822 - This is around £21 and seems to be the hose from the pump up to the windscreen washers but as far as I can see doesn't include the T-Piece (which is what I really need)

Any help on identifying the right part or at least one that includes the t-piece highly appreciated.

Backup Plan
1) I can see T-pieces on e-bay/amazon, but from reviews they don't always seem work (and the diameter of the tubes doesn't match mine), so not an ideal fix

2) f I can't get the right part, then I plan to buy an in-line non-return valve from halfords and a bit of tube to join it between the non-functioning T-Piece and the main tube from the washer

I would prefer to keep the car completely standard though so any help on how to confirm the right part number appreciated.

Old 07-16-2024, 03:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar problem on my XKR, not a lot of water for a while, but now none. The pump runs and you can hear a change in note as the pump reaches pressure. i can blow back into the washer bottle and hear lots of bubbles, the headlamp washers come out but no water.

Any help would be very much appreciated.