XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition has found a new home

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Richard,

Hopefully, you won't regret selling your XKR Portfolio, as it is rare and beautiful - and almost as nice as mine! But if you do, you could take a step up to a CPO Aston Martin V12 Vantage, which is also an Ian Callum design, and is even more rare and more beautiful.

If the XE doesn't meet your expectations, I suggest that you consider a CPO 2013-up XJ with the 5.0L SC engine, as I am very pleased with mine. Check out the X351 Forum.

You'll be missed. Try to keep in touch.

Stuart
Thanks Stuart for the friendship and sharing our 2009 Jaguar XKR PE's. It's been a great ride.

I am looking for a Sedan and reviewing lots of ratings. I will consider the Jaguar brand of course.

Not sure what I will end up with. There are a lot vehicles to choose from.

My XKR should leave next week. After the Holidays I will return from sailing in the Caribbean and then begin a serious search. In the meantime, a lot of time researching on the internet of various brands. The BMW Series 3 looks good also.

There are a lot of ultra low mileage Jaguar XF's available at great prices in the 2016 MY as listed above.

I will be searching.

Thanks again.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

which shipping company are you using? in case i want to buy from out of state.

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2016, 07:45 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
kj07xk:

The XKR is headed to Bensenville, Il a bit to the north of you in Naperville.

Very nice man who is getting it. He has been searching for a Jaguar for a while and wanted a low mileage vehicle that met his criteria and price point. He dug a little deeper in his pocket book to buy the car.
After our conversations, he knew I was quite **** about keeping my XKR in pristine condition. Just what he wanted.

He is getting a great car.

Thanks for the compliment in your post. All of the XKR owners here will also be missed. This forum has provided many answers to questions for so many Jaguar enthusiasts. Owning this brand is a steep learning curve, and for me, there was always another Jaguar Forum member that had answers for me as well as other owners.

I am a member of other auto forums and this by far has the most respected members on a forum. The Corvette and Porsche forums are loaded with rude demeaning members who can really ruin what these forums should be about.

The Jaguar owners here are a group of "class act" members, polite and willing to provide input when they can.

I will be dropping in to look in to see what's going on and stay on top of the XKR world. Everyone here has been great and so helpful when needed. I was glad to be a small part of the group to assist and provide some helpful info to others when I could.

Selling my XKR is bittersweet, but I need to find a nice 4 sedan to compliment my stable of vehicles. At age 65, I am ready for a nice 4 door sedan to carry others when out and about. I will continue to enjoy my 2015 Corvette C7 and my Porsche 981, and of course my daily driver my 2014 F-150 Supercrew. It is hard to live in New Mexico without a truck.

Be well, be safe.

Will miss you Richzak. Best of luck in your sedan search.

The following users liked this post:
richzak (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Wolfy
which shipping company are you using? in case i want to buy from out of state.

Thanks!
The new owner is flying in to pick up the XKR and drive it home.

Last edited by richzak; 12-06-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by elindo
Will miss you Richzak. Best of luck in your sedan search.

Thanks, elindo.

I am leaning heavily towards the 2017 Genesis G80 w/ Premium and Ultimate options. Cost about $48,000.

Nothing that Jaguar has in a sedan compares to the features at this price point.

Click to enlarge...

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition has found a new home-genesis-g80.jpg  

Last edited by richzak; 12-06-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

New owner is flying in the pick up the XKR and drive it home.

That's how to do it!

Thanks, elindo.

I am leaning heavily towards the 2017 Genesis G80 w/ Premium and Ultimate options. Cost about $48,000.

Nothing that Jaguar has in a sedan compares to the features at this price point.

Click to enlarge...

I love this car. Someone on my dog walking route in my neighborhood has one.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shemp
That's how to do it!

I love this car. Someone on my dog walking route in my neighborhood has one.
Decision made. Made comparisons to the Jaguar XE & XF & XJ, BMW 340ixDrive, Lexus IS, Audi S4 & S5, Mercedes C Class, Cadillac ATS, Infinty Q50, and Alfa Romeo Giulia.

Genesis G80 AWD 3.8L w/ Premium & Ultimate packages. This car is pure luxury.

Arrives next week. Shopped dealers in New Mexico, Texas, Arizona, Oklahoma and Colorado. G80 being shipped from the Denver area.

Click to enlarge.

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition has found a new home-g80-1.jpg   2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition has found a new home-genesis-interior-ivory.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by richzak:
jahummer (12-07-2016), mosesbotbol (12-08-2016), ralphwg (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,012 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Congrats! Did you strike a good deal?

Old 12-08-2016, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Congrats! Did you strike a good deal?
Yes, $150 below dealer invoice and then a rebate of $1000 on top of that for owning the Jaguar XKR as a competitive premium vehicle.

Should be a great car for $50,400. I am well pleased. Some dealers were not willing to go down to the dealer invoice price or slightly below. MSRP Sticker is $54,040.

The car is loaded with great standard features, great warranty, and great options.

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition has found a new home-genesis-g80-window-sticker-1.jpg  
Old 12-08-2016, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Yes, $150 below dealer invoice and then a rebate of $1000 on top of that for owning the Jaguar XKR as a competitive premium vehicle.

Should be a great car for $50,400. I am well pleased. Some dealers were not willing to go down to the dealer invoice price or slightly below. MSRP Sticker is $54,040.

The car is loaded with great standard features, great warranty, and great options.

Funny as I was looking at one of these the other day at our local dealer in the area. It looked pretty good and even though I'm not completely sold over the front end it is acceptable. Liked most of the features but (there's always a but) the dealer had 15 cars and not one in any color (reminded me of my jag search) I would buy. All they carried was silver , black , white and gray. There were 2 colors on the charts which they didn't have ( red and blue) but there again you could only get them in the white interior. So considering I'll be waiting until next year maybe the 2018 will have more selections. Good luck with the car.

richzak (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Richard,

Very nice exterior and interior designs, and attractive colors. Lots of "bang for the buck", and outstanding warranty. But it's never going to give you the same emotional response as your XKR Portfolio convertible. I never read about anyone ever looking into their garage before going to sleep to check on their Hyundai. Maybe you'll be the first! Good luck with it and let us know how you like it.

Stuart

richzak (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
During my test drive and usage while my car was being serviced I didn't get the feeling of a premium car. It is a competitor to the Audi A4 and MB and BMW but in my opinion a cheaper version. I think it needs some more interior upgrades to be a nicer car but you'll need to judge that for yourself. I would maybe consider one when looking for a grocery getter but not for a 4 hour week end trip. Happy hunting
Which trim level XE did you have? I top trim and engine, the XE is very convincing competitor; especially in the handling department.

What interior upgrade is missing on the XE that the Germans have? We've driven on 300 mile one trips in the XE with 3 people and dog; no one felt like it was a tight fit except the dog... She was starting to show the teeth after a few hours of sitting in the car... XE in its higher trim levels has more options than my fully optioned XK did. Granted the two were 10 year apart. I wish there was more leather in XE, but I can't think of any option that is missing in the XE that I would want.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Thanks, elindo.

Click to enlarge...

Yes, at that price point, the XE or XF would be more money for similar spec'd car.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Which trim level XE did you have? I top trim and engine, the XE is very convincing competitor; especially in the handling department.

What interior upgrade is missing on the XE that the Germans have? We've driven on 300 mile one trips in the XE with 3 people and dog; no one felt like it was a tight fit except the dog... She was starting to show the teeth after a few hours of sitting in the car... XE in its higher trim levels has more options than my fully optioned XK did. Granted the two were 10 year apart. I wish there was more leather in XE, but I can't think of any option that is missing in the XE that I would want.
I don't recall the trim but I remember the price. It was $50,4XX and the AWD car. At the time I was under the impression that these were a mid $30's car but I guess I didn't see one of those. Lot of plastic and a bland style dash. Seats were OK (about as good as my kids 2015 A4) but weren't as good as my Lexus. I only drove it around town and a little highway jaunt but to me the ride was to firm which I was not expecting. Now I realize the other cars were somewhat comparable in ride but the interiors were the difference for us. I expect a firmer ride in my XKR but not in a car I would use for long weekend trips. Once again it's personal opinions so we all have our own .

Old 12-08-2016, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Richard,

Very nice exterior and interior designs, and attractive colors. Lots of "bang for the buck", and outstanding warranty. But it's never going to give you the same emotional response as your XKR Portfolio convertible. I never read about anyone ever looking into their garage before going to sleep to check on their Hyundai. Maybe you'll be the first! Good luck with it and let us know how you like it.

Stuart
Well, I never got emotional over the XKR PE Convertible. It was a very nice, beautiful automobile. I never got emotional over any other car that I have owned. They are automobiles, but all different in quality. And I have owned and still own some very nice automobiles. I buy them, hold for 3-5 years, sell them and usually move on to a different brand and style. I am not a lifetime one brand car owner. Those days are long gone.

Yes, I will most likely be looking at the Genesis G80 several times when parked in the garage. It is a natural instinct for us all when we buy a new car. I bought the Genesis because I liked it and it presented great value for the mid-size sedan category and the options, warranty etc. that comes in the G80. I always do my homework and did so quite thoroughly.

Now, as for the comment of the Hyundai. It's a Genesis, built by the Genesis Motor Company a division of Hyundai. It's not a Hyundai. I guess I could say, you talked about owning a Lexus. Then I could say, you didn't own a Lexus you owned a Toyota. They are 2 different cars and you don't see Lexus being sold at Toyota dealerships. The Lexus is the premium brand of Toyota. Just as you will see in the years ahead, stand alone Genesis dealerships. At the present time, Hyundai is using the Hyundai dealerships to sell the Genesis brand. It makes economic sense for them to do this at this time. That is soon to change. This is the first year (2017) that you will not see the any Hyundai logo's or badges on the Genesis brand.

It's a quality car, and I bought it. It will never be a Hyundai to me, it will be a Genesis. Look forward to the future and watch this brand. I am quite sure you will be seeing Genesis stand alone dealers in the Atlanta area within the next 12 to 18 months. Then perhaps you will be writing back and ask, "how's that Genesis you bought in late 2016?"

I respect the Lexus brand and never have considered it a Toyota. From what I determined, there was no Jaguar sedan in the 2016 or 2017 model years that could compare with the Genesis G80 for the price point. I looked at them all.

When you have some free time, stop by Jim Ellis Hyundai at 5785 Peachtree Ind Blvd. that sells the Genesis brand and take one out for a drive (he has about 20 Genesis G80's in house). Compare the brand to your XJ, you might be surprised.

Let me know your thoughts after you drive it. You just may want to trade your XJR for the G80 or the G90.

Last edited by richzak; 12-08-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:10 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

I'm glad you're happy with the sale, your experience with the car and I hope your next ride as just as good to you. Selling and buying personal cars can be an emotional experience; ones with a lot of second thoughts.

The US market is much better than Canada. The Jaguar XK model is a very hard car to sell in Canada. A person needs to have thick skin to deal with all the tactics from buyers and dealers trying to get them for nothing.

Good luck with your new ride.

richzak (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
I'm glad you're happy with the sale, your experience with the car and I hope your next ride as just as good to you. Selling and buying personal cars can be an emotional experience; ones with a lot of second thoughts.

The US market is much better than Canada. The Jaguar XK model is a very hard car to sell in Canada. A person needs to have thick skin to deal with all the tactics from buyers and dealers trying to get them for nothing.

Good luck with your new ride.
The XKR served it's purpose well for me over the 43 months that I owned the car. I bought it for the right price and sold for a great price so the cost to own the car was fantastic and a very low cost outlay over the time of ownership. The XKR was flawless in any kind of problems, and the new owner is getting a rare XKR with only 18,300 miles on OD with a pristine body and mechanical condition. It took me 3 months to find the right buyer, and I am quite pleased. I was not going to give the car away.

I personally find buying a car can be fun, especially with the vast amount of information available via the internet such as dealer cost/invoice, knowing the holdbacks and incentives that dealers get from the manufacturers.

I simply work my own numbers, have documentation and make my offer. On the Genesis G80 I contacted perhaps 10 dealers in 5 different bordering states finding the vehicle I wanted. I found a dealer willing to sell me the G80 at my price which was $150 under manufacturer invoice.

I am sure the Canadian auto market is much different than the USA. Also tough times the Canuck buck vs the dollar. The US dollar has been extremely strong.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

richzak,
A friend recently bought the same car, and it is to the current market what Lexus represented to the market at the time it came on the scene a couple of decades ago, an excellent car, luxury, and great value compared to established luxury car lines. However, I do not understand your defensiveness regarding the Hyundai label. Genesis dealers aren't even open yet, so all Genesis vehicles are still being sold out of Hyundai dealerships. Frankly, I have never really understood the attempt of companies like Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti to distance themselves from their roots. BMW and Mercedes both sell lower end automobiles without feeling the need to do it. (Of course, Mercedes tried it with Maybach, and how'd that work out. ) Acura, the first of the sibling companies, can barely sell a car now, and I don't see a future for the brand. Yet Honda is thriving. Frankly Lexus has lost its way. The whole line is horribly styled all the way to the LF. They are no longer the great value they once were, and the Toyota Avalon from its sister division is the nicest, most luxurious, car from either division. We bought my daughter a Hyundai Sonata and felt it was a terrific car without worrying about whether or not it was from the luxury division of Hyundai. Enjoy your new car, it's beautiful, offers tremendous luxury and value, and should be bulletproof for the 3-5 years that you typically hold on your cars. Enjoy!

The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
ralphwg (12-09-2016), richzak (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
richzak,
A friend recently bought the same car, and it is to the current market what Lexus represented to the market at the time it came on the scene a couple of decades ago, an excellent car, luxury, and great value compared to established luxury car lines. However, I do not understand your defensiveness regarding the Hyundai label. Genesis dealers aren't even open yet, so all Genesis vehicles are still being sold out of Hyundai dealerships. Frankly, I have never really understood the attempt of companies like Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti to distance themselves from their roots. BMW and Mercedes both sell lower end automobiles without feeling the need to do it. (Of course, Mercedes tried it with Maybach, and how'd that work out. ) Acura, the first of the sibling companies, can barely sell a car now, and I don't see a future for the brand. Yet Honda is thriving. Frankly Lexus has lost its way. The whole line is horribly styled all the way to the LF. They are no longer the great value they once were, and the Toyota Avalon from its sister division is the nicest, most luxurious, car from either division. We bought my daughter a Hyundai Sonata and felt it was a terrific car without worrying about whether or not it was from the luxury division of Hyundai. Enjoy your new car, it's beautiful, offers tremendous luxury and value, and should be bulletproof for the 3-5 years that you typically hold on your cars. Enjoy!
Not being defensive on Hyundai and what another member might think. Before I made my purchase. I did a lot of reading and spoke with several high volume Hyundai dealers who also sell the Genesis brand.

Hyundai sold the Equus under the Hyundai brand which was their first attempt at a luxury vehicle. It did well. Last year Hyundai decided to drop the Equus and begin a new future in the luxury car segment by forming the Genesis Motor Co. For 2017 they have 2 models G80 and G90. 2018 brings out a new Sport G80 and by 2019 or 2020 Genesis is expecting six models, and most likely a SUV of some sort. I have owned the Hyundai brand in the past with a Santa Fe, Tucson, and 2013 Sonata Limited 2.0T. All were trouble free vehicles.

The warranty is one of the best in the business. I am possibly taking a chance that if something goes wrong with the brand they may not exist, but I don't see that. As mentioned, Genesis in 2018 and beyond seek to have the stand alone dealerships. For now they share sales space with Hyundai.Whether or not a stand alone dealership enterprise works is of course yet to be seen.

I looked carefully at the Jaguar XE, XF, and XJ series. Nothing they had could compare for the price, warranty, and options available to the Genesis. I carefully considered the BMW 340ixDrive, Audi S4, and few others. I even went down to the Ford Fusion and Lincoln MKZ.

For $50,400 I think I got a great vehicle. Time will tell. The industry and auto manufacturers are making advancements in design, quality and performance every year going forward. What amazes me is the technology that is now evident in the 2017 models as compared to 2014 and earlier.

Not defending the Hyundai brand, just trying to inform the people who may doubt the brand of the Genesis and talk down because it is associated with Hyundai. I have always known the best part of the auto buying experience, is there are plenty of great choices with each manufacturer vying for the consumer dollar.

Time will tell how this works out. My final point is..... for the price, value, quality and pure luxury, there will be many more of the Genesis brand vehicles on the road. Keep your eye out for them.

At least I gave Jaguar a chance for my business.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Congratulations, the Genesis is a very practical purchase. It is a great car, well made, quality components, you really cannot go wrong. I have a buddy that supplies product to the US factory that makes trannies, from what he tells me the factory manager says the Hyundai components are higher quality than any other brand they supply.

The Asian car manufacturers have worked hard to find a way to compete with the European car companies. Toyota, Honda, and Nissan created new brands to distance themselves from the "lower end" value product they are selling. Lexus, Acura, and Infinite are success stories. The funny part is that BMW, Audi, or Mercedes don't need such nonsense. One brand with a variety of vehicles from low to high.

Hyundai can re-brand their cars into a Genesis but in the end (no offense to your purchase) it does not have the status of it's competitors. Usually the owners hang on the fact that "this car is way better and has such high quality for the price" statements. It is very true.

It is a smart purchase and it sounds like you will really enjoy the car. That is all that matters!!!

richzak (12-08-2016)