XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition has found a new home

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
Well, I never got emotional over the XKR PE Convertible. It was a very nice, beautiful automobile. I never got emotional over any other car that I have owned. They are automobiles, but all different in quality. And I have owned and still own some very nice automobiles. I buy them, hold for 3-5 years, sell them and usually move on to a different brand and style. I am not a lifetime one brand car owner. Those days are long gone.

How can you not be emotional when in the next paragraph you admit that you will be looking at your new Genesis "... several times when parked in the garage."? You're just like me - an old guy who's still a little kid with a new toy!

Yes, I will most likely be looking at the Genesis G80 several times when parked in the garage. It is a natural instinct for us all when we buy a new car. I bought the Genesis because I liked it and it presented great value for the mid-size sedan category and the options, warranty etc. that comes in the G80. I always do my homework and did so quite thoroughly.

Now, as for the comment of the Hyundai. It's a Genesis, built by the Genesis Motor Company a division of Hyundai. It's not a Hyundai. I guess I could say, you talked about owning a Lexus. Then I could say, you didn't own a Lexus you owned a Toyota. They are 2 different cars and you don't see Lexus being sold at Toyota dealerships. The Lexus is the premium brand of Toyota. Just as you will see in the years ahead, stand alone Genesis dealerships. At the present time, Hyundai is using the Hyundai dealerships to sell the Genesis brand. It makes economic sense for them to do this at this time. That is soon to change. This is the first year (2017) that you will not see the any Hyundai logo's or badges on the Genesis brand.

What's in a name? What matters is what something is, not what it is called. A Hyundai Genesis rebadged as a Genesis G80 is still a Hyundai ... except that names have power, and that's a real difference; to elevate the Genesis name and, thereby, command a premium price. But if the Genesis parts come out of the Hyundai parts bin, it's still a Hyundai.

It's a quality car, and I bought it. It will never be a Hyundai to me, it will be a Genesis. Look forward to the future and watch this brand. I am quite sure you will be seeing Genesis stand alone dealers in the Atlanta area within the next 12 to 18 months. Then perhaps you will be writing back and ask, "how's that Genesis you bought in late 2016?"

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Although I never saw it, in the movie Shallow Hal the guy sees the fat girl as being skinny because of her inner beauty. To him, she's a Genesis, not a Hyundai.
It's like the difference between a pig and a fox - about 6 beers!

I respect the Lexus brand and never have considered it a Toyota. From what I determined, there was no Jaguar sedan in the 2016 or 2017 model years that could compare with the Genesis G80 for the price point. I looked at them all.

Lexus earned my disrespect, and I'll never buy another Toyota product - see my post #27, para. 6: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-135236/page2/

When you have some free time, stop by Jim Ellis Hyundai at 5785 Peachtree Ind Blvd. that sells the Genesis brand and take one out for a drive (he has about 20 Genesis G80's in house). Compare the brand to your XJ, you might be surprised.

I know the Jim Ellis dealerships well. GM, Porsche, etc. I have no desire to drive a Genesis, and am very content with my 2 toys. There's no comparing the driving experience of a 311HP G80, a boulevard cruiser, and my 470HP XJ, a high performance sport sedan. The G80 is all steel, but the XJ is virtually all aluminum, just like the XK.

Let me know your thoughts after you drive it. You just may want to trade your XJR for the G80 or the G90. The G80 is a luxury cruiser, similar in the quiet and sedate driving experience to my previous Lexus LS460 that was boring by comparison to my XJ. I have no doubt that the G80 is loaded up with gizmos, but an overabundance of tech is not my thing. To me, the G80 and G90 are both a big step down from the thrilling performance of my XJ. But to each his own, and I respect your decision to go with the G80 and wish you the best with it.

Richard,

My responses are in red, above.

In case you didn't see it, here's the Car and Driver review of the 2017 Genesis G80 AWD: Genesis G80 Reviews - Genesis G80 Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver

Stuart

Old 12-09-2016, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

If the Genesis and the XJ were my only choice I would go with the Genesis also!

One of our VP's just bought an Acura RLX, I knew he had also looked at the XF. I asked if he had thought of the XJ and he said it is an "old man car". He is 52 and this mirrors my sentiment, for me it is just a big ole' boat of a car.

My neighbor has a G80 and it is a classy, quality looking ride. Will it outperform an XJ, of course not. How much more is an XJ, $30,000? If it couldn't outperform and out-luxury there is a problem.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I think of Lexus as a Toyota. Toyota is one of the best auto manufacturers, so that is a compliment...

Old 12-09-2016, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Richard,

My responses are in red, above.

In case you didn't see it, here's the Car and Driver review of the 2017 Genesis G80 AWD: Genesis G80 Reviews - Genesis G80 Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver

Stuart

Stuart:

Your post above reminds me of a Donald Trump "tweet rant" at 3:00 AM EDT.

I am not color blind and can see "red".

While you have a disrespect for the Lexus brand, they continue to be ranked #1 for "reliability" over all other auto constructors.

I apologize for causing you to lose sleep and compel you to make posts at 2:00AM.

Don't be old, grouchy, and crotchety. Be open minded to other brands.

Car Brands Reliability: How They Stack Up - Consumer Reports

After seeing this data, I am happy I will own a Hyundai (Genesis G80). I also realize I don't need a 470 HP Sedan, my V6 G80 at 311 HP will be fine.

And as far as Toyota, wait to you see the Toyota FT1 on the road.

Check it out.

Click the image to enlarge.

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition has found a new home-auto-reliability-ratings-2017-copy.jpg  
Old 12-09-2016, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Richard,

You took my comments the wrong way. I meant no disrespect to you or to Hyundai. You didn't cause me to lose any sleep, as I wrote my comments while answering Mother Nature's call at 1AM. And my opinion of Lexus is based on my 5 year experience and their fraudulent behavior, which was the last straw. You'd feel the same way if that happened to you. Plenty of choices out there, and I won't reward Toyota for their unethical conduct by doing business with them again.

I love being old, grouchy and crotchety. Sure beats the hell out of the alternative!

Stuart

The following users liked this post:
richzak (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

And as far as Toyota, wait to you see the Toyota FT1 on the road.

That is a very cool concept car! That video was painful to watch though, how long can it take to back a car into a parking spot? Holy smokes grandma, turn it off and push it if you are that scared.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member
The following 2 users liked this post by richzak:
jagtoes (12-10-2016), mosesbotbol (12-12-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member

This why I choose the Genesis G80 with Premium and Ultimate Packages vs the 2017 Jaguar XF. All option included in these 2 packages.

Unfortunately, the Jag XF was in the mid $60's ($66,000) after adding all options to compare.

I did not buy the Genesis G80 in post #29 as I found a dealer in Scottsdale, AZ who was willing to sell at $200, below his invoice for $48,732.00 and then give me $2000 in Genesis rebates for a final price tag of $46,732.

I went with RWD G80 instead of a G80 AWD on the car mentioned in post #29 above.

Genesis G80 MSRP $51,030 Paid $46,732 with all option packages.

A compelling value vs the Jaguar.

http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/...20G80_2017.pdf

G80 gets auto transported to me next week at .62 cents per mile. 400 miles from Scottsdale, AZ to Las Cruces, NM for a cost of $250.

Last edited by richzak; 12-17-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Sean W (12-23-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 11:15 AM
Received 100 Likes on 40 Posts

I think that Genesis is a great looking car and I'm sure Hyundai has come a long way as far as quality since the 1980s. Good luck!

Last edited by Marco75; 12-18-2016 at 05:57 PM.
richzak (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

This why I choose the Genesis G80 with Premium and Ultimate Packages vs the 2017 Jaguar XF. All option included in these 2 packages.

Unfortunately, the Jag XF was in the mid $60's ($66,000) after adding all options to compare.

I did not buy the Genesis G80 in post #29 as I found a dealer in Scottsdale, AZ who was willing to sell at $200, below his invoice for $48,732.00 and then give me $2000 in Genesis rebates for a final price tag of $46,732.

I went with RWD G80 instead of a G80 AWD on the car mentioned in post #29 above.

Genesis G80 MSRP $51,030 Paid $46,732 with all option packages.

A compelling value vs the Jaguar.

http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/...20G80_2017.pdf

G80 gets auto transported to me next week at .62 cents per mile. 400 miles from Scottsdale, AZ to Las Cruces, NM for a cost of $250.

. Richard. Congrats on your new purchase. I also am a fan of the Genesis and came fairly close to buying the V8 loaded in 2010 but was concerned at that time of the skiddish rear end issues. I think it's a gorgeous car and a great Value. Now that it's a Luxo brand u get a loaner which was my biggest concern at the time. I'm spoiled and won't own any car that won't provide a loaner. The few times I need service on my LS430 can be an annoyance for me while waiting. Good luck and please provide us some initial experiences. Yes I'm also a member of the Genesis forum dating way back.

richzak (12-18-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Hi, Rich - you can tell I've been neglecting the forum a bit in recent times, as I've only just seen this thread. Sorry to see you leave the fold, and thanks for all the great input.

While I enjoy my Jags, I'm not blind to the other good marques out there, or even just individual models from unexpected makers. I'm very impressed with my wife's Skoda - excellent VAG engine & a jewel of a DSG 'box, good handling, and actually has 5 seats, unlike the XK. I've driven a couple of Hyundai models (small ones) and found them well made, so I'm sure yours will give you good service.

Anyway, you'll be missed - drop in & see us from time to time.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Hi, Rich - you can tell I've been neglecting the forum a bit in recent times, as I've only just seen this thread. Sorry to see you leave the fold, and thanks for all the great input.

While I enjoy my Jags, I'm not blind to the other good marques out there, or even just individual models from unexpected makers. I'm very impressed with my wife's Skoda - excellent VAG engine & a jewel of a DSG 'box, good handling, and actually has 5 seats, unlike the XK. I've driven a couple of Hyundai models (small ones) and found them well made, so I'm sure yours will give you good service.

Anyway, you'll be missed - drop in & see us from time to time.

Thanks, Ngarara.

Your posts over the many years have been so valuable and so helpful to me. You have always been available to help so many other Jaguar XK/XKR owners.

The new Genesis G80 is on an auto transport as I type this and I will meet the driver tomorrow morning to get the car. It should be very nice. Pure luxury.

I will pop in to see what the XK/XKR members are up too. I suggested to the person who got my XKR to join the forum, and I suspect he will. He told me, he bought his "dream car".

Thanks again. The fellowship on this forum is simply the best.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

A few of the Jaguar Forum members asked for a few images of the Genesis G80. The G80 was delivered on Tuesday morning from Scottsdale, Az.

These images were taken today, after spending a total of 7 hours hand washing, nano-skinning the paint surface (using a nano skin polymer wash glove) vs. using a clay bar. I then prep polished the paint with a DA bufffer and applied a nano-ceramic paint coating to protect the paint surface (Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating V2).

The results an ultra smooth paint surface and excellent gloss and reflective qualities. Although the G80 is new, the paint still had contaminants on the paint surface.

The Genesis G80 is simply an amazing luxury vehicle. Price paid $46,732...MSRP $51,030

I would highly recommend this vehicle. I compared the G80 to the Jaguar XF model before making the purchase.

Click to enlarge, click again for full screen.

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition has found a new home-dscn4058.jpg   2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition has found a new home-dscn4066.jpg   2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition has found a new home-dscn4063.jpg  
Old 12-23-2016, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Beautiful Car Rich! I'm Jealous! I'm considering to sell my LS430 and get a used Genesis, but the first series looks to antiquated. Glad to hear you are happy with your purchase. Enjoy!

richzak (12-23-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

So I went out today looking at a truck and the dealer down the road was a Hyundai location. Stopped buy to see them up close and personal. Cool car with a lot of bells and whistles. I'm a little unsure of the grill but compared to the new Lexus it's acceptable. Good creature features inside and felt comfortable. I took out both a RWD and AWD in the 3.6 V6 and although they drove OK neither one was as smooth and comfortable as my old 2010 Lexus. The ride was firm and similar to the XE I drove. So now I'm gonna have a problem next year finding another vacation car. I'll have to try the MKZ in the future . I then went over to the Chevy dealer and bought a new pick up.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I took out both a RWD and AWD in the 3.6 V6 and although they drove OK neither one was as smooth and comfortable as my old 2010 Lexus. The ride was firm and similar to the XE I drove. So now I'm gonna have a problem next year finding another vacation car. I'll have to try the MKZ in the future . I then went over to the Chevy dealer and bought a new pick up.
Why don't you get a CPO Jaguar XJ Supercharged for as low as $35,000? The 4.5 sec 0-60 time will blow the Genesis away, not to mention the best-looking big sedan on the road.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Why don't you get a CPO Jaguar XJ Supercharged for as low as $35,000? The 4.5 sec 0-60 time will blow the Genesis away, not to mention the best-looking big sedan on the road.
A Used Jaguar XJ Supercharged Is a Lot of Car for $35,000 - Autotrader

Old 12-27-2016, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Lol yes I saw that same video. So true!

Old 12-27-2016, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Performance is low on my list for my sedan selection. Comfort and quiet and smooth are my priorities followed by looks. I've driven XJ's , XF's , XJL's and although they are nice luxurious sedans they still have this firm ride that I am not looking for. Now my present Lexus was built on the Camry chassis and is the ride we enjoy . The newer Lexus is built on the Avalon chassis so I don't know if the ride was compromised. Because of the ugly corporate grill I haven't tried one yet so maybe I'll have a similar issue with it. So no big deal as I have another year to find something.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

The used 2012 XJ for the $35,000 is no comparison to the 2017 Genesis G80.

I paid $46,732 for my 2017 Genesis G80 with every option available. The options on the G80 which are the Premium and Ultimate packages are additional on most luxury sedans and can't be found for the $46,732.

This is one of the best-unbiased reviews I have seen on the G80 and the comparisons at the end of the review are quite interesting.

The 311 HP 3.8L V6 has plenty of power. I don't need a 420 HP Sedan. I get plenty of power with my sports cars. The Jaguar XJ off the lot purchased new is a tremendously overvalued automobile with massive depreciation.

There is no other sedan that can match the warranty and extra services that the Genesis brand offers.