XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition has found a new home

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Comfort and quiet and smooth are my priorities followed by looks....Now my present Lexus was built on the Camry chassis and is the ride we enjoy . The newer Lexus is built on the Avalon chassis so I don't know if the ride was compromised. Because of the ugly corporate grill I haven't tried one yet so maybe I'll have a similar issue with it.
If ride comfort is your top priority then you should stick with Lexus. If you don't mind a 'high body' car, I highly recommend the 2010-2015 RX450h AWD with air suspension. The thing is smooth as silk and faster than the gas-only RX. And it does not have the ugly overstyling of the MY2016.

My Gen II RX400h feels smoother and faster than my XJ8L, even gives a cat's growl when pushed hard. I'm averaging 26mpg.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
If ride comfort is your top priority then you should stick with Lexus. If you don't mind a 'high body' car, I highly recommend the 2010-2015 RX450h AWD with air suspension. The thing is smooth as silk and faster than the gas-only RX. And it does not have the ugly overstyling of the MY2016.

My Gen II RX400h feels smoother and faster than my XJ8L, even gives a cat's growl when pushed hard. I'm averaging 26mpg.
Thanks but not an SUV type. I was OK with the 1st grill change as it was not to pronounced but the latest version to me is pretty ugly. Hey we'll see what the 2018's look like .

Old 12-27-2016, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

jagtoes,
The Avalon, I believe, is the best looking, best riding, most luxurious looking car in the Toyota/Lexus lineup (and very XF looking). Lexus styling has just lost all of its original luster. Every car in the lineup is ugly.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
jagtoes,
The Avalon, I believe, is the best looking, best riding, most luxurious looking car in the Toyota/Lexus lineup (and very XF looking). Lexus styling has just lost all of its original luster. Every car in the lineup is ugly.
Once again it's a matter of taste. I like the Avalon front end design less then the Lexus front end. I don't think it looks like the XF . Also if the Jag rode as my old Lexus does I would consider buying one of them.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

A Genesis is still a Hyundai. Regardless of everything, not for me.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
A Genesis is still a Hyundai. Regardless of everything, not for me.
In the end this is a very true statement. My father still can't understand why folks buy a Lexus ES instead of a Camry, some people just don't care about all the extras that come in the Lexus (I believe extra warranty, supposedly better pampering at dealer, better trim and options, etc.). Same with Infiniti or Acura. He honestly thinks that buying a Lexus is patently stupid, "it is the same car as a Camry". All that other crap is lost on him!

Still, regardless of this opinion it will be a success, it will attract the premium car buyer eventually. Just like the Acura/Infiniti/Lexus were when they were initially introduced, it will take a bit for the buyers thinking to shift from believing it is a marketing trick to push a "Luxury Hyundai" to thinking of it as it's own standalone brand.

Making attractive, well appointed cars with an eye towards customer service and build quality is their goal. Trying to compete with the 0-60 crowd is not the focus but I guarantee there will be higher performance options in the future.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Hyundai is working on a new model that will be powered by kimchi.
It never runs out of gas!

Last edited by Stuart S; 12-28-2016 at 04:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
In the end this is a very true statement. My father still can't understand why folks buy a Lexus ES instead of a Camry, some people just don't care about all the extras that come in the Lexus (I believe extra warranty, supposedly better pampering at dealer, better trim and options, etc.). Same with Infiniti or Acura. He honestly thinks that buying a Lexus is patently stupid, "it is the same car as a Camry". All that other crap is lost on him!

Still, regardless of this opinion it will be a success, it will attract the premium car buyer eventually. Just like the Acura/Infiniti/Lexus were when they were initially introduced, it will take a bit for the buyers thinking to shift from believing it is a marketing trick to push a "Luxury Hyundai" to thinking of it as it's own standalone brand.

Making attractive, well appointed cars with an eye towards customer service and build quality is their goal. Trying to compete with the 0-60 crowd is not the focus but I guarantee there will be higher performance options in the future.
The difference for me was I liked the style of the Lexus vs. the Camry. The newer ES is now based on the Avalon chassis which I am not enamored with. That's all nothing else. Now if you don't care about what a car looks like then all you need to do is buy by price as long as it has the features you want.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Hyundai is working on a new model that will be powered by kimchi.
It never runs out of gas!
Don't want to get stuck in traffic behind one of those!

Old 12-28-2016, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Yes, a 2017, $55,000 Genesis G80 is a Hyundai owned Automobile
Yes, a 2017, $83,000 Lexus GS F is a Toyota owned Automobile
Yes, a 2017, $198,000 Maybach S600 is a Mercedes owned Automobile
Yes, a 2017, $118,000 Jaguar XJR is Tata Motors owned Automobile
Yes, a 2017, $298,000 Rolls Royce Ghost is a Volkswagen owned Automobile
Yes, a 2017, $100,000 Porsche 911 is a Volkswagen owned Automobile
Yes, a 2017 $450,000 Lamborgini Adventor is a Volkswagen owned Automobile

The names and brands can go on & on.

Does it really matter?

People buy, own and drive what they like, not what others think.

Last edited by richzak; 12-28-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

Rich it sounds like you are defending your purchase and we assume you aren't. You bought a nice car which met all of your requirements and needs. Good luck and enjoy it. Also I would modify your last sentence and add people also buy to impress others .
I liked what I saw but was disappointed with the ride and color choice. We all have different priorities and tastes.

ralphwg (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Rich it sounds like you are defending your purchase and we assume you aren't. You bought a nice car which met all of your requirements and needs. Good luck and enjoy it. Also I would modify your last sentence and add people also buy to impress others .
I liked what I saw but was disappointed with the ride and color choice. We all have different priorities and tastes.
jagtoes:

Thanks for your thoughts.

Appears like some members here look down on the purchase of the Genesis brand due to the connection to Hyundai. I think many underestimate the overall quality due to the connection to Hyundai.

I am certainly not trying to impress anyone with the purchase. If so, I could have easily bought a Bentley Continental GT without any financial strain. The price of $46,732 met my needs just fine. I would have liked to remain with the Jaguar brand which was my hope on the XE, but several Jaguar Forum members didn't think much of it. The XF (which I looked at) didn't compare in value nor the XJ, and I didn't want to spend close to $90,000 for the XJ knowing the rate of depreciation on the Jaguar brand which has been discussed on the forum in length.

My point above is with so few automobile constructors, many brands available in today's marketplace are actually owned by so few constructors.

I will have to live with the good or bad in the Genesis G80 and knew there was some risk to the brand as the spin-off from Hyundai is a whole new direction for their so-called luxury brand segment. This is very much the same with the spin-off of Lexus from Toyota which has been a huge success.

I will have to see how the Genesis brand works out. No buyers remorse as of yet, and hopefully it never sets in. For the price point, nothing in the marketplace came close in this category.

I will see how it all works out in the future. It is just a car, and I never have any emotional attachments to any brand. If I don't like it and it turns out to be a piece of junk, I will move on to another brand. My wife and I have owned several Hyundai models in the past all with great success and no related reliability issues.

Thanks again for your comments. Good or bad I accept them all from all members.

Last edited by richzak; 12-29-2016 at 08:24 AM.
jagtoes (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Richard,
On the contrary, Genesis' connection to Hyundai is a big plus in my book. Even base model Sonatas (which we bought for my daughter) are very high quality and Hyundai offers the best warranty available. Your new car offers a lot of "bang for your buck" with little sacrifice. Enjoy it.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Heh - strangely enough, I got into Jags precisely because they offered the best value, here in the UK. In the late 80s I was looking for something that would be s step up from my Rover 3500. Options included a BMW 635i, Merc SL and an XJ-S V12 - but the Jag was significantly newer for the same money. The benefit of being a UK product rather than an import, I assume. So, that's how I entered the fold: a Jag was my 'cheaper option'.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

I've always thought the Genesis grille looks familiar now I know why --

Old 03-06-2017, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

All I can add is I took an Uber recently, got in at night and wasn't really paying attention.... and was blown away by the fit/finish/luxury of the interior (I always sit in the passenger seat, feels weird to me to sit in the back seat of someone's car)-- and this was before I found out it was a Genesis. If I was in the market for a 4-door sedan the Genesis would absolutely be on my list.

On another note: richzak, I've finally seen the light on ceramic/nano coating. I'm not up for doing it myself, so I've got a question: which product to you recommend? Anything to look for in choosing a detailer? What should I reasonably expect in terms of longevity (it's my daily driver and I put about 15,000 a year on a car). I know this is a long question, or questions, but any quick tips or recommendations would be appreciated.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pk4144
All I can add is I took an Uber recently, got in at night and wasn't really paying attention.... and was blown away by the fit/finish/luxury of the interior (I always sit in the passenger seat, feels weird to me to sit in the back seat of someone's car)-- and this was before I found out it was a Genesis. If I was in the market for a 4-door sedan the Genesis would absolutely be on my list.

On another note: richzak, I've finally seen the light on ceramic/nano coating. I'm not up for doing it myself, so I've got a question: which product to you recommend? Anything to look for in choosing a detailer? What should I reasonably expect in terms of longevity (it's my daily driver and I put about 15,000 a year on a car). I know this is a long question, or questions, but any quick tips or recommendations would be appreciated.
pk4144:

Yes, the Genesis G80 is awesome. After owning it for 2 1/2 months I am so glad I made the purchase. This brand is pure luxury, and so nice and comfortable to drive. I have no disappointments and the car's technology is simply outstanding. Looking back at my purchase, I am extremely pleased with the value of the Genesis vs the Jaguar XF or XJ. For the price, this luxury sedan can not be beaten.

Nano Ceramic coating. My choice is the Pinnacle Black Diamond Paint Coating V2. Sold at Autogeek.net. Google the Pinnacle Black Diamond Paint Coating V2 and it will give you the link. Price is $80.00 for a 4 oz. bottle which will complete about 4 or 5 cars or applications.

The main aspect to choosing a good detailer is someone who will strip the dirt, road oil etc. from the paint surface. Then prep polish, buff, remove any polish residue, then apply the nano ceramic coating. Prepping the paint surface for the ceramic coating is the most important part of the application as the ceramic coating bonds to the paint surface. Also, the ceramic coating needs to bond to the paint surface and cure for 24 hours, before exposure to the elements.

The ceramic coating under normal conditions will last up to 2 1/2 to 3 years if the car is parked in a garage at home. Once the ceramic coating is applied, a simple hand wash with a car soap like Duragloss 901 Spot Free, is all you need to maintain the shine and reflective qualities of the ceramic coating.

You will have no disappointments with a ceramic coating. There are many brands available. I use the Pinnacle and recommend the Pinnacle based on my own detailing and the number of cars I have detailed for my own and others.

Keep in mind that this process can be completed as a DIY weekend project for about $125.00-$150.00 at most, or you can pay an experienced detailer between $800 and $1200. The detailing project is labor intensive and is what drives the price up at a detail shop, not product intensive. Any detailer will tell you this and it takes about 6 to 7 hours for a single person to complete the process.

One other important part of the process. When first washed the car will need to be either clay barred or washed using a "polymer wash glove" to remove any surface contaminants. This is extremely important. I suggest buying an Eagle One Surface Prep mitt or NanoSkin Fine grade wash mitt, both available at Amazon. Using the glove removes the contaminants and provides an ultra smooth paint surface.

Here's a link to my recommendations. You only need one or the other.

Amazon Amazon

My number one choice below (NanoSkin):

Amazon Amazon

For smaller surface areas, buy this:

Amazon Amazon

Any more q's, just ask.

Last edited by richzak; 03-07-2017 at 08:36 AM.
pk4144 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

I'll post pics when done.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pk4144
I'll post pics when done.
Great, we look forward to seeing the results.