XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2010+ 5.0 XK A/C drain tube / duck bill location

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 04:07 PM
Received 195 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by tarokyama
Just wanted to update everyone interested,
I did locate the duck bill an fixed it! it's quite
easy once you understand where it is, under the carpeting.

on 2010+ jaguars there is sound dampening material cover the hole for the duck bill,
however there is a seam which u can pry open
with your hand and stick your hand in,
i then stuck a tube inside the duck bill withmy finger tips. difficult but doable.

your hand can fit between there from passenger (us cars) side of the vehicle.
I revisited this yesterday with help from a mechanic friend, we couldn't locate the duckbill due to the matting (2010 5 litre XKR). Is this "seam" down into the tunnel, so not visible from the top, or somewhere higher up? What direction does the seam run, side to side (of the car) or front to rear? Did you end up cutting your duckbill or just unblocked it somehow by hand?

Old 11-30-2020, 04:21 PM
Received 188 Likes on 108 Posts

It is visible from the top of the engine, I posted a picture on one of the threads.
You can just pull it down and stick your hand in there.
it runs fender-to-fender and it starts at the bottom corner of the firewall.

Don't give up, you can definitely do this!

Old 11-30-2020, 04:26 PM

Thanks, I should have taken some photos yesterday, will try and remember tomorrow. So there's a thicker sort of "pad" above the transmission, visible from above, which the brake lines run over the top of. Is the seam you're talking about underneath that, then?

Old 11-30-2020, 04:36 PM
Old 12-01-2020, 05:35 AM

Ah right, thanks - I hadn't noticed a seam there, that's very useful. I'll have another attempt later on.

Old 12-01-2020, 02:10 PM
Received 179 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse
so if its like my 2007 xkr and in the same place, this is the way to go, no messing takes time and not as big a job as you think. Mine had the leak issue before i got the car from previous records. I had a coolant pipe bust on my car driving into the car park at work, lucky for me not on the road, anyway the 2 coolant pipes are under the supercharger. When the mechanic took off the supercharger to replace the 2 pipes he had easy access to the duck bill and cut it off , no more problem there, so i think that's the way to go., just take off the supercharger, it's not that big a job .
To all early owners of the xkr like mine, i would advise getting the 2 coolant pipes under the supercharger changed as these do fail due to fatigue along with the collant thermostate.
Really???
im taking my supercharger out to deal with coolant pipes, can i access the duck bill from there? I can deal with that too if so

Old 12-09-2020, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by wsn03
Really???
im taking my supercharger out to deal with coolant pipes, can i access the duck bill from there? I can deal with that too if so
BUMP - can anyone confirm - is the duckbill access easy with the Supercharger off?

Old 12-11-2020, 11:40 AM
Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Yes it is easy, but that's because you also have all of your intake pipes and the throttle body elbow out of the way, and presumably the fake firewall and cowl. I was able to just reach in and locate the hole above the transmission, but it appears that a previous owner cut it off before it got to me. Side note - remove the rotten smelling oil from your SC while it is off, as it never gets easier. I just 'went to the valley' over the last week and a half or so, and it is quite the project. I think that officially moves me from Jaguar owner to Jaguar enthusiast!

Old 12-11-2020, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by 007XKR
Yes it is easy, but that's because you also have all of your intake pipes and the throttle body elbow out of the way, and presumably the fake firewall and cowl. I was able to just reach in and locate the hole above the transmission, but it appears that a previous owner cut it off before it got to me. Side note - remove the rotten smelling oil from your SC while it is off, as it never gets easier. I just 'went to the valley' over the last week and a half or so, and it is quite the project. I think that officially moves me from Jaguar owner to Jaguar enthusiast!
This is great, thank you.
You have just done what I am about to do. Do you mind if I set up separate thread to discuss this?
Btw i expect my duckbill has been done as my dashboard was removed before I bought the car, a big clever hardwired phone charging lead was installed too. Only reason for dash out i presume was a wet carpet!

Last edited by wsn03; 12-11-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:39 PM

I had another look at this today and found the seam you pictured in the sections of matting. Managed to prise them apart and got my inspection camera in. The matting seems to be hard against the body of the car, couldn't immediately find the duckbill pipe but I did manage to slice my right index finger open so I cut the inspection short for the day. Does that section of mat have any sort of push studs, clips or other fasteners, i.e. can you detach it a bit to improve access?

Old 12-14-2020, 10:18 AM
Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by wsn03
This is great, thank you.
You have just done what I am about to do. Do you mind if I set up separate thread to discuss this?
Btw i expect my duckbill has been done as my dashboard was removed before I bought the car, a big clever hardwired phone charging lead was installed too. Only reason for dash out i presume was a wet carpet!
I'm happy to discuss it. I don't have much for pictures, but it's still fresh in my mind. Make sure you read the thread in the repair stickies about it before you get started, if you haven't already.

The following users liked this post:
wsn03 (12-14-2020)
Old 03-28-2021, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daughter was up on motor and could reach. duckbill is slight passenger side of centerline of trans between cover and car body. My arm could not fit. I could feel the body indentation but not the duckbill itself. She was able to feel it and to get her finger up there and clear it...I owe her 1100.... also I showed her a picture of the old and new duckbills she says it’s the new version- which checks out with vin.

2010 xkr

Old 03-29-2021, 03:39 AM
Received 284 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 10XKR
I nominate this thread link to be added to the "How To" sticky thread.

Cheers,

Dave
It already is. There are 2 of the actually. Here's a link to the one I started:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-doing-222930/

Old 03-29-2021, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 673 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by No Quarter
It already is. There are 2 of the actually. Here's a link to the one I started:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-doing-222930/
You realize that you are responding to a 3 year old quote, right? When he asked for this to be a sticky it wasn't at the time... Your technique that you used was done before you did it and posted about, you didn't invent the wheel it's ok...

Old 03-29-2021, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
You realize that you are responding to a 3 year old quote, right? When he asked for this to be a sticky it wasn't at the time... Your technique that you used was done before you did it and posted about, you didn't invent the wheel it's ok...
Don't really care who invented what. Just trying to help. Am puzzled though how this topic keeps popping up and people want to take their dash apart. Gotta help them. But thanks for correcting me...

Old 03-30-2021, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by No Quarter
Don't really care who invented what. Just trying to help. Am puzzled though how this topic keeps popping up and people want to take their dash apart. Gotta help them. But thanks for correcting me...
I've tried multiple times and I cannot reach the duckbill on my car. Mine is a 5.0 with the extra fireproof matting above the gearbox which makes it difficult to get a tool in there too and after trying numerous times the matting is now disintegrating, meaning I can't even get the inspection camera in there now. Your solution may have worked for you but it does not work for everyone.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by 8bit
I've tried multiple times and I cannot reach the duckbill on my car. Mine is a 5.0 with the extra fireproof matting above the gearbox which makes it difficult to get a tool in there too and after trying numerous times the matting is now disintegrating, meaning I can't even get the inspection camera in there now. Your solution may have worked for you but it does not work for everyone.
Sorry it hasn't worked for you. The remedy is to find a skinny tall teenage boy or girl and have them help you. It's about length of arm vs thickness of lower arm. Popeye would never be able to.

The following 2 users liked this post by No Quarter:
daytona mike (04-17-2022), TexasTraveler (04-01-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 07:49 PM

With a slight tug I ripped out the carpeting covering the drain tube, it is merely cosmetic and not really visible anyway..

The following users liked this post:
No Quarter (04-09-2021)
Old 04-17-2022, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed it

Originally Posted by tarokyama
Just wanted to update everyone interested,
I did locate the duck bill an fixed it! it's quite
easy once you understand where it is, under the carpeting.

on 2010+ jaguars there is sound dampening material cover the hole for the duck bill,
however there is a seam which u can pry open
with your hand and stick your hand in,
i then stuck a tube inside the duck bill withmy finger tips. difficult but doable.

your hand can fit between there from passenger (us cars) side of the vehicle.

I said to my wife. Tonight you get lobster if you fix the jag

Guess what she said. It’s a squirted. We took some greasy lubricant and find the duckbill. Many thx ☺️ Without this information I couldn’t do it. Thx greetings Mike