XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2010 Internal door handle adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 04:31 PM
Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 2010 Internal door handle adjustment

I'm looking for a bit of guidance before tearing off the passenger door card.
When I drive off and the doors automatically lock the handle hits the back of its recess with a sharp snap sound. In the unlocked position the handle points inwards (towards the door) by about 5mm. Is it possible to adjust the cable tension to rectify this?
Thanks

Old 11-21-2021, 05:03 PM
Received 338 Likes on 205 Posts

Hello Dorsetjag

I suspect the Bowden cable to your door handle is not properly connected so it doesn’t limit the door handle movement as designed.

I’ve attached a “ how to” on removing and re-installing the door card with cautions on the Bowden cable connection. When I first put my door card back on, I had the same issue as you have.

Most likely is whomever removed the panel before, did not remove the wedge clips from the panel (they usual stay in the panel when it is removed) and place them on the metal door rail (which you can see in your picture) before mounting the panel. There are two guide pins on the panel that align with holes in the door and very hard to lift the panel to match the guide pins up AND slip the clips on the door rail with them on the panel at the same time which is why your panel is not on correctly.

Easy fix, If I can then you can do this.
- Remove the mirror inner cover carefully but yours is already broken.
- Remove 3 torx screws, 2 under door handle, 1 under a small plastic cover at top back of door panel. T30 I think.
- Use a plastic panel pry bar, start at bottom rear of the door and pop the panel push clips out gently as you work your way around the the bottom, front and back of the panel. The push clips are a couple inches in from the panel and about 9 of them. If you break one, easy to find equivalent ones at NAPA or another good parts store. Just take one with you to match up to a replacement. There are a bazillion types and sizes of panel clips.
- Lift the panel off pulling the panel bottom away from the door as you lift. There are one or two electrical connections to remove as well as the Bowden cable for the interior door handle.
- Pry out the top clips that are stuck in the panel and transfer them to the top rail in the door. There are little notches in the rail that the clips slip over. 6 top clips total I think.
- Reconnect the electrical connections. Install the Bowden cable barrel in the door handle and the cable sheath has a groove that slips into a notch in the plastic part of the handle assembly.
- Align the panel with the top clip “wedges” with slots in the panel and press the panel on. The 2 guide pins should self-align when the top clips are pressed home.
- Press the side and bottom panel push clips in working from top to bottom. I give them a firm push with the heel of my hand.
-Reinstall screws and cover. Check door opens and all control buttons/lights work
- Reinstall the mirror inner cover.

Good luck and let the forum know how you made out.

The following 4 users liked this post by V7Sport:
DanJensen (11-22-2021), DorsetJag (11-22-2021), kj07xk (11-21-2021), VroomForTwo (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 04:15 AM

Thank you V7sport for the very comprehensive instructions

Old 11-22-2021, 11:20 AM

You’re welcome.
Attached are a couple of annotated pictures of the cable and inside of the door handle mechanism that may also help in lieu of another two thousand words.

The following 5 users liked this post by V7Sport:
Boga (11-22-2021), Cee Jay (11-22-2021), kj07xk (11-22-2021), Sean W (11-22-2021), u102768 (11-22-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 06:19 AM

Hi Mike, I sorted out the door handle today. As expected from your amazing guide and photos the Bowden cable was not seated properly, so it took all of 10 minutes to get the door card off, relocate the Bowden cable into its groove and reassemble the door again. I also found this video useful in seeing the door card removal in action:
The other job is the driver's side where the speaker grill has got a bit beat up with contact with feet so I'll take it out, respray it and replace it.
Thanks again bud.
Chris

The following 2 users liked this post by DorsetJag:
jahummer (11-23-2021), V7Sport (11-23-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 06:46 AM

Glad you got the cable sorted. Helpful video on the speaker cover. I do worry about putting my foot through mine.
One correction to the video is to pull the metal clips on the top of the panel and install them (with a little silicone grease) on the door before re-installing the panel. This eliminates the need for three hands and minimizes the breakage/cutting plastic alignment pins this guy experienced. And would have saved him 43 minutes in putting the panel back on.