XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Is the 2010 Worth Springing For?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 06:07 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Is the 2010 Worth Springing For?

So I was initially shopping 07+ XKR's thinking I'd spend about $37k-$45k. But I see a 2010 with low miles for $62k. I'm a little concerned that it's black which is gorgeous but a pain to maintain.

Anyhow, couldn't I do EDU, pulley, springs and exhaust and have a similar experience to a 2010+? Or is it worth it to spend the extra $20k?

Old 03-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

I seriously considered an '09 XKR, and later a 2010 which I purchased...both convertibles with vey low miles sold under warranty at two different Jaguar dealers. I wanted to be thrilled with the $20k less expensive '09, but I was underwhelmed by the performance. I was used to more, and while 420 hp was highly competitive with best in class in '07, it just isn't any more, especially in a fairly heavy car. If I weren't involved in motorsports, and hadn't been spoiled by performance of a couple of other cars I own, I could have fallen in love with the '09, and completely related to owners of that generation that love them.

I ended up making a list of the changes and improvements for the 2010 model year while doing my XKR research because I kept reading about more and more changes and it was getting hard to remember them all. The list became quite lengthy, with most changes related to real world comfort and performance improvements that could be readily appreciated in normal driving around town, countryside or road course. Those changes were apparent in the 2010 test drive, and since buying it I have never questioned whether they were worth the extra money I paid.

The appeal of the car I think comes from its overall appearance and design, which really hasn't changed much since '07. But the drivetrain and suspension determines its character, and all of that was completely changed for 2010. Mild to wild changes to engine, transmission, differential, brakes, springs, shocks, etc, in addition to comfort improvements.

Which is the better value for you will be based on your own needs, but $20K does buy you a lot.

Bruce

Old 03-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

<cough> Bruce and I were looking at the same time and did some back and forth chatting on the subject. I can't really add anything to what he's already mentioned other than this:

ZOMG 510HP! O.O

Mine is Botanical Green, which for all intents and purposes is black outside of direct sunlight. I'm not overly fond of super dark cars, and admittedly the green was darker than I would have hoped for in person. But man she cleans up nicely.

Did I mention 510HP? And a roar that makes people doubletake? Mmmmm. Roar.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for the feedback... Your responses don't surprise me at all. 100hp isn't cheap to come by. Also if there a other refinements you often have no way of retrofiting. I'm giving it some serious thought...

That green sounds gorgeous. I wonder if it is similar to the British green which I just saw an 07 in. The greens seem a bit rarer on the 07+ as opposed to the older ones.

Why don't you guys have a picture thread whereby you guys all post pics?

Old 03-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Evoking,

Bust for the 2010 if you can afford it, the experience is night and day. Too many upgrades and improvements to list but the horsepower tells the story. The 'pre 10's are as beautiful as the new ones, so you get crazy prestige for your buck, but if performance is your index, get the 2010+. I initially planned on an '07, same body as the 10's, but changed my mind in a hurry after researching and driving the '10. Serious wolf in sheep's clothing, crazy speed plus a factory warranty.

Good luck either way,

Skeeter

Old 03-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Would you be willing to share your list of items that have been improved with the 10 and later model years?

Pretty please?

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
I seriously considered an '09 XKR, and later a 2010 which I purchased...both convertibles with vey low miles sold under warranty at two different Jaguar dealers. I wanted to be thrilled with the $20k less expensive '09, but I was underwhelmed by the performance. I was used to more, and while 420 hp was highly competitive with best in class in '07, it just isn't any more, especially in a fairly heavy car. If I weren't involved in motorsports, and hadn't been spoiled by performance of a couple of other cars I own, I could have fallen in love with the '09, and completely related to owners of that generation that love them.

I ended up making a list of the changes and improvements for the 2010 model year while doing my XKR research because I kept reading about more and more changes and it was getting hard to remember them all. The list became quite lengthy, with most changes related to real world comfort and performance improvements that could be readily appreciated in normal driving around town, countryside or road course. Those changes were apparent in the 2010 test drive, and since buying it I have never questioned whether they were worth the extra money I paid.

The appeal of the car I think comes from its overall appearance and design, which really hasn't changed much since '07. But the drivetrain and suspension determines its character, and all of that was completely changed for 2010. Mild to wild changes to engine, transmission, differential, brakes, springs, shocks, etc, in addition to comfort improvements.

Which is the better value for you will be based on your own needs, but $20K does buy you a lot.

Bruce

Old 03-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Test drive the 2010, you won't care what color it is! I have always owned black cars because I love the way they look, but my XKR is Salsa Red.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Received 113 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Mod costs?

So far I've only done aesthetic mods plus I dropped in a Quaife LSD in my 2008 XKR. My goal was to get the power to the road before adding more power. This diff is also becoming popular from the factory on some 2012+ cars, Boss 302 and some others. (Don't know how it compares to the 2010+ eDiff.) Quiafe costs roughly $2000.

I plan on adding a 2.5-3 lb pulley $200
sports cats $1000
a ecu tune $1300
and lowering springs $600

After all this the advertised numbers will get you roughly to 505hp on the 2007-09 XKR plus improved handling for around $6000 w/ labor.

Now as far as the numbers go you'll still save 14 grand.

I know there are already power mods avaialble for the 2010+ models but then there is addtional cost as well.

Maybe someone who has done these mods or is more knowledgable than myself could tell us how the 07-09 modified and 2010+ stock compare after these improvements?

Last edited by Mike V; 03-20-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Mike....I agree!

The only thing I would sway towards getting the 2010 would be warranty. As you know, once you mod your car, reliability can suffer down the road. My car is at the shop right now as I have a Check Engine....possibly due to mods: "Post Catalytic Fuel Trim Too Lean". Hopefully it's just an O2 sensor needs replacement. My previous car's reliability also suffered after installing stage 2 ported heads and aggressive cam among other mods on my corvette.

BTW....nice avatar Mike!

The following users liked this post:
Mike V (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rscultho
Would you be willing to share your list of items that have been improved with the 10 and later model years?

Pretty please?
Here you go:

-510 hp 5.0L vs 420 hp 4.2L, 4.6 vs 4.9 sec 0-60 mph, 24% quicker 50-70 mph
-30% stiffer spring rate, .92 vs .89 g lateral grip on skidpad
-fully active/variable shock valving vs 2 rate CATS shocks
-10% quicker steering ratio
-active differential (limited slip)
-larger brakes, more fade resistance, 70-0 mph 160 ft vs 163
-15k mile service interval vs 10k
-sealed transmission requiring no fluid change
-ventilated seats
-Bowers and Wilkins audio (standard vs optional/Portfolio)
-coloured side vents
-new front end, rear LEDs, rear lower valance, side mirror LED repeaters
-Drive selector vs lever gear shift

Those are the differences noted while I was keeping track. There were others minor things but this list covered the main ones I think.

Bruce

Old 03-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info Bruce.

My wife gets a new(ish) XJL next. I think I will put in a pulley, and based on what I find out I may do an ECU tune. Other than that I think I will wait and get an XKR-S in a few years.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:11 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Gotta say I prefer the XKR look to the XKR-S. Call me crazy, the XKR looks modern and aggressive while still retaining its "Jag-ness". The S is too monochrome, the front looks more like a Japanese import than the plain old XK. Still a beaut, no disrespect meant, and of course a superior car mechanically in every way. But I don't see it as enough of an upgrade to wait years on. By then this new and radically different XK will be out and the S will be as dated as the regular XK's of this generation.

Google the 2010 XKR and you'll find many articles that list all the changes, Bruce got the highlights. They are almost all more felt than seen (with notable exceptions like the shift rotary knob). If performance isn't a big priority, the '07-'09's are a killer value. If speed is at the top of the list, it is night and day, a different level while still comfortable and smooth. Brilliant upgrades, test drive one of each, the '09 XKR is no slouch, maybe enough to satisfy your need for velocity.

Skeeter

Old 03-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Of course the extra power of the 5 Litres would be nice. From reports it seems the MPG suffers a surprising amount in turn though.
I like the seats better in the 2010+ cars too. The design of the seat belt guides on the seats on my 2008 is especially retarded. The belts are always coming out as the gap is at the wrong end, and although they look like handles to flip the seat in order to gain access to the back, they fail badly by opening up if you try to use them for that.
Call me crazy but I prefer the old style shifter to the drive knob though. Not that I've ever driven a "knob" car, but I'd guess I'd feel the need to take my eyes off the road and look every time in order to dial into reverse or sport mode. Don't feel that need with a shifter. I also heard from the dealer that "knob failures" are not uncommon. Not sure if he meant the car's or the driver's though :-) .

Last edited by JustNiz; 03-21-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike V
So far I've only done aesthetic mods plus I dropped in a Quaife LSD in my 2008 XKR. My goal was to get the power to the road before adding more power. This diff is also becoming popular from the factory on some 2012+ cars, Boss 302 and some others. (Don't know how it compares to the 2010+ eDiff.) Quiafe costs roughly $2000.

I plan on adding a 2.5-3 lb pulley $200
sports cats $1000
a ecu tune $1300
and lowering springs $600

After all this the advertised numbers will get you roughly to 505hp on the 2007-09 XKR plus improved handling for around $6000 w/ labor.

Now as far as the numbers go you'll still save 14 grand.

I know there are already power mods avaialble for the 2010+ models but then there is addtional cost as well.

Maybe someone who has done these mods or is more knowledgable than myself could tell us how the 07-09 modified and 2010+ stock compare after these improvements?
Mike,

Did the price for the Quaife LSD include installation? Have you noticed much better traction?

Tom

Old 03-22-2012, 12:33 AM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeeter
Gotta say I prefer the XKR look to the XKR-S. Call me crazy, the XKR looks modern and aggressive while still retaining its "Jag-ness". The S is too monochrome, the front looks more like a Japanese import than the plain old XK. Still a beaut, no disrespect meant, and of course a superior car mechanically in every way. But I don't see it as enough of an upgrade to wait years on. By then this new and radically different XK will be out and the S will be as dated as the regular XK's of this generation.

Google the 2010 XKR and you'll find many articles that list all the changes, Bruce got the highlights. They are almost all more felt than seen (with notable exceptions like the shift rotary knob). If performance isn't a big priority, the '07-'09's are a killer value. If speed is at the top of the list, it is night and day, a different level while still comfortable and smooth. Brilliant upgrades, test drive one of each, the '09 XKR is no slouch, maybe enough to satisfy your need for velocity.

Skeeter
+1

Old 03-22-2012, 01:31 AM
Received 113 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Quaife

It was actually $1400 plus $300 for installation by an independent mechanic that specializes in performance mods.

Believe me the back end seems to snap out more readily now than with the stock open diff but its much more controllable. You really have to change your driving style and use throttle trimming skills to fully enjoy what it can do. I can now slide it out on some corners and when I bring it back in line it doesn't cut suddenly like before but smoothly transitions back to the straight line after the turn.

I almost lost it the other day when some jerk made a right turn from the left lane (the lane I was in) when he was clear I gunned it to sound my disapproval and the next thing I knew I was going sideways through the intersection, after the intial shock I simply let up on the throttle and the car straightened up without any drama. It must have looked awesome but in truth I had to change my underwear afterwards. Simply put it makes an amateur drifter like myself look like I know what I'm doing

Another side effect is now when I let off the throttle I get decent transmission braking (just like downshifing) so less braking is needed. I'm very happy with the unit and though it doesn't improve 0-60 launch as I had hoped you do gain much more control plus both tires smoke up when fooling around rather than just the one.

The following users liked this post:
tommyd (03-30-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member

I understand on the look of the XKR-S. I agree on the front end - I think Jag could have done a better job with that.

Waiting a few years has to do more with money than anything else. While I make a good living, I can't justify spending spending $70K to $80K for my wife a new XJL and then spend another $100K+ on an XKR-S along with the XKR I have now. I understand that there are guys posting on the board that make a lot more money than me. If you have 3 newish Jaguars you probably have more value in cars than many of the houses people live in...

And I don't lease cars...but would they lease an XKR-S? Don't know...

Who knows? Things change...and I get lottery tickets from time to time...

Originally Posted by Skeeter

Skeeter

Old 03-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u can get 500hp with mod? u need to open engin to get 500?

Old 03-22-2012, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GhostriderXKR08
My car is at the shop right now as I have a Check Engine....possibly due to mods: "Post Catalytic Fuel Trim Too Lean". Hopefully it's just an O2 sensor needs replacement.
Did you find out what the problem was?

Bruce

Old 03-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

The shop is actually working on it now. Didn't bring it to the dealer as my warranty has expired. Initial test, they believe it's the hiflo cats causing the code but will do more testing.

Quick Reply: Is the 2010 Worth Springing For?