XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2010 XKR oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 493 Likes on 215 Posts

Thx Q&C. I understand the benefits of utilizing for the proper engine oil, and the attendant costs when one does not. However.....

Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears the current spec is Castrol Edge Professional E 0W-20 which meets specification WSS M2C925-A

My question was where are members buying it? Online? Dealers? etc.

Thanks in advance. Gordo

Old 06-13-2017, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Gordo,
First things first; not everyone thinks twice like you do. Most think in one of two ways, they know better than Jaguar engineers who designed the lubrication system. Or they believe if something cost more it must be a scam.

I would just get it at the Jaguar dealership if I were you. I know its a bit of a drive. Because you are paying the same price as I do at dealership. Moreover you will get to know the parts dept guy, check on TSB, and have proof that you were using the right oil.

The following users liked this post:
GordoCatCar (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 10:39 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by GordoCatCar

Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears the current spec is Castrol Edge Professional E 0W-20 which meets specification WSS M2C925-A
Not quite what the bulletin says:

Originally Posted by Mikey
From the bulletin, and for the OP's benefit

5.0L petrol SC SAE 0W-20 engine oil meeting Jaguar Land Rover specification STJLR.51.5122.

If unavailable SAE 5W-20 engine oil, meeting specification WSS-M2C925-A may be used.

GordoCatCar (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Gordo,
First things first; not everyone thinks twice like you do. Most think in one of two ways, they know better than Jaguar engineers who designed the lubrication system. Or they believe if something cost more it must be a scam.

I would just get it at the Jaguar dealership if I were you. I know its a bit of a drive. Because you are paying the same price as I do at dealership. Moreover you will get to know the parts dept guy, check on TSB, and have proof that you were using the right oil.
Call them first to see if thy sell the oil. My dealer did not sell because they don't have portable containers for it. I gave up my DYI search and let them do the oil and filter last month.

Also, they used the Castrol Edge Professional OE 5W-20 for my 2010.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shemp
Call them first to see if thy sell the oil. My dealer did not sell because they don't have portable containers for it. I gave up my DYI search and let them do the oil and filter last month.

Also, they used the Castrol Edge Professional OE 5W-20 for my 2010.
Strange dealer. Most carry the bottles. They sold me an unopened case of 6 and 3 extra.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Strange dealer. Most carry the bottles. They sold me an unopened case of 6 and 3 extra.
I thought so too.... They are moving the location farther away from me next month so I will be forced to use the Dallas dealer next time. Maybe they sell the quarts. I'll let you know April 2018

Old 06-13-2017, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by shemp
I thought so too.... They are moving the location farther away from me next month so I will be forced to use the Dallas dealer next time. Maybe they sell the quarts. I'll let you know April 2018
As an FYI my dealer in NY gets their oil in a drum. They also pump from the drum with a metered pump system. I assume if you were a good sales person you might be able to have them pump it into your own containers.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
As an FYI my dealer in NY gets their oil in a drum. They also pump from the drum with a metered pump system. I assume if you were a good sales person you might be able to have them pump it into your own containers.
Mine as well.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

The nearest dealer to me is a three hour round trip. IMO that's too far for an oil run. So I found 12 quarts of Castrol Edge Professional E 0W-20 on Ebay in Boca Raton for $146 delivered up here to Daytona. I am well aware of the importance in using the oil specified by Jaguar; but it seems like there'd be more plentiful retail outlets and/or even different brands of oil that would comply with Jaguar's 5.0 liter specs.

I now that I will be doing some additional research on this before the next oil change. There has to be a more practical option. Time to bookmark Bob the Oil Guy again. :-)

Old 06-20-2017, 04:14 PM
Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

So, using 5w-20 Mobil 1 would be bad?

Old 06-20-2017, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 110reef
Deleted original reponse. See below.

Last edited by shemp; 06-20-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:02 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Does it meet either of the specs in the owner's manual? This is the only thing that counts.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

Oops, I missed the mobile 1 part. Mobile 1 does not meet the specs for the 5 liter motor.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

Mobil 1 meets or exceeds: Ford WSS-M2C925-A , which is the Jaguar recommended oil, if the Castrol Edge Pro is not available.

The source is Mobil linked here: MOBIL 1 5W-20 | Mobil

Old 06-20-2017, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

Mobil 1 meets or exceeds: Ford WSS-M2C925-A , which is the Jaguar recommended oil, if the Castrol Edge Pro is not available.

The source is Mobil linked here: MOBIL 1 5W-20 | Mobil
I've seen that site and it's not a US site. I've been thru this exercise before and looked here:
https://mobiloil.com/en/product-sele...LjAgKEdBUyk%3D
Where it says:
"Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 5W-20 viscosity and oil that meets Ford WSS M2C925-A. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications."

If you look at the US site, WSS-M2C925-A is not listed in any of the Mobile1 variations.

Go figure...

This is why I gave up and just let the dealer do it.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member

Even if Mobil1 made oil for our spec, I would not use it, in the world of True synthetic oils, its considered pretty low grade.

In applications where Mobil does make oil high performance use, it costs $9 a quart anyway.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member

If I understand it correctly in the US Ford WSS-M2C945-A replaced the WSS-M2C925-A specification and is backwards compatible on all applications, which I assume would be our 5.0 cars. There are several 5W-20 synthetic oils out there that meet those specs, Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge Titanium among others.

@Shemp: I see that the Mobil "oil finder" pulls a zero when looking for our application, but they also cited the 5W20 viscosity value, when I think they should be looking for a 0W20, non the less, their 0W20 Mobil 1 is not certified by Jaguar (and probably never will be.) I can understand why you gave up and went to the Jag dealer.

The assumption here is that the current Jaguar spec STJLR.51.5122 (5122 is the viscosity spec for 0) is essentially the same as the Ford WSS-M2C 925 spec and its successor WSS-M2C945 specification Motor Oil. Indeed Jaguar suggested its use if the Castrol Edge Pro were unavailable.

Since Jaguar doesn't provide consumers any other data regarding its proprietary oil spec, one can not be certain of this fact. However, Jaguar does approve the use of this substitute blend with the 5W20 vicosity rating if their propriety spec cannot be found and operating temps are not too low.

I also appears that that some "oil experts" suggest that if your looking at a step up in quality, the Motul specific 948 B 5W20 or RAVENOL SFE 5w20 are you best options. They go on to add that both have the formal factory Jaguar Land Rover STJLR.03.5004 approvals. I did not confirm these experts or their opinions.

After thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that Castrol Edge Professional is essentially the same blend as any oil meeting the WSS-M2C 925-A and WSS-M2C945-A specs; except that the Pro formula includes an ultraviolet, black light dye. A feature is used by Jag techs to insure the engine they're working on has the correct oil and is in compliance w/ the warranty, sic., a dealer-performed oil change. Hence the nomenclature 'Pprofessional' as opposed to the 'Driveway' brand.

On the positive side, adding the dye will help to maintain warranty standards. On the downside, it rewards dealers with additional cash income they might have otherwise have lost to owners like myself who are not under warranty and want to do the job ourselves.

So if you're under warranty, then you really have no other choice but to use the Pro blend or risk voiding the warranty. However, if your car is past warranty, and you want to insure the oil you use will be in compliance with what Jaguar engineers intended, then any brand meeting the aforementioned standards will suffice as long as the viscosity ratings are met.

These are just my opinions, and I'm not an oil expert. However, I think we are being manipulated by Jaguar into believing there is only one oil we can use, and only one place to procure it. gordo

PS. I've already got a dozen quarts of Castrol Edge Pro in the garage earmarked for the next oil change. So while I may be intellectually convinced about using an alternative, in my car loving gut, I still want to be certain and safe. Whatever, I've still got another oil change year to think about it. peace.

Last edited by GordoCatCar; 06-21-2017 at 08:48 AM.
shemp (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 07:51 AM
Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

So, my car is the 4.2. Does that matter?

Sorry if I am asking questions that have probably been answered ad-nauseum, but I am new to my Jag XK. I always used Mobil 1 in my BMWs and Mercedes before this, and thought it was good oil. It certainly cost a lot. And they used a lot of it. I live right around the corner from my Jag dealer, but my intention is to go there as little as possible. At the same time, my (new to me) Jag has only 23K miles on it and I intend to drive it until the wheels fall off, so I want to do the right thing with the oil.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member

So, my car is the 4.2. Does that matter?

Sorry if I am asking questions that have probably been answered ad-nauseum, but I am new to my Jag XK. I always used Mobil 1 in my BMWs and Mercedes before this, and thought it was good oil. It certainly cost a lot. And they used a lot of it. I live right around the corner from my Jag dealer, but my intention is to go there as little as possible. At the same time, my (new to me) Jag has only 23K miles on it and I intend to drive it until the wheels fall off, so I want to do the right thing with the oil.
I don't want to give advice on motor oil. I'm a firm believer and advocate when it comes to generic coolant, brake fluid, etc; but motor oil is a different animal. Apparently, most on this forum are opting for the safer side of the issue and using their dealer's resources. I can understand their approach, and certainly wouldn't debate them on it.

However, I will say that in my 97 XK8 4.0, I've been using Mobil 1 for the last six years w/o incident. And this is on top of all the Nikosil paranoia that enveloped the early AJ26 engine after its introduction in 1966. As I recall, there weren't any major objections on the X100 Forum with using Mobil 1 in the AJ 33 or 34 engines. But again, it's your call; not somebody who's off the hook if things go south.

Like you I've been comfortable using it in basically all my vehicles since synthetics became widely available. But unlike you, my dealer is a three hour round trip away; so I have a demonstrable motivation to find a closer acceptable alternative source for the XKR. If its Castrol Edge Pro, all the better, but if its something equivalent and easier to obtain... well that's the direction I'd be looking to travel. gordo

Last edited by GordoCatCar; 06-21-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

I think we are being manipulated by Jaguar into believing there is only one oil we can use, and only one place to procure it. gordo

PS. I've already got a dozen quarts of Castrol Edge Pro in the garage earmarked for the next oil change. So while I may be intellectually convinced about using an alternative, in my car loving gut, I still want to be certain and safe. Whatever, I've still got another oil change year to think about it. peace.
This follows my thinking to the tee, while I believe that using their oil is complete bull I will still use it. Why? Because it is the most minor yearly cost and it isn't worth any more thought than a minute.