XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2010 xkr r.i.p.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 02:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 xkr r.i.p.

I am sadly announcing the death of my 2010 xkr. I have previously posted a need for cv axle shaft after hitting a large pothole. I managed to find a new part and was also told the differential motor was bad and needed to be replaced. That was about 6 months ago. Now, I'm accelerating to get onto the interstate, I hit another series of potholes and start to hear a banging from the rear of the car. The banging moves from the rear to the front, so I put the car in neutral and immediately hear metal grinding. The engine died and I coasted as far as I could to get closer to the next exit. Of course the motor is now seized. My question is, there is a e-diff not available warning along with an adaptive dynamics fault on the dash console. Do you think the diff motor locked up causing a cascading effect destroying the transmission and engine?

Old 03-02-2023, 02:42 PM

The shop, Import specialty service, that did the work has quoted me $46,000 to replace the engine with a remanufactured engine from jaguar. I think the differential motor was not replaced properly. Of course, they don't admit to any fault. Does anyone know of a place I can take the car for a second opinion so I can have a leg to stand on when I talk to the attorneys.

The following users liked this post:
sov211 (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 03:39 PM
Received 135 Likes on 61 Posts

Yuck. Sorry to hear.

You might want to post you location so you don't get recommendations from places too far away to be useful.

Old 03-02-2023, 06:26 PM

I live in Nashville TN BTW. I would gladly appreciate any help if possible. I don't know where to go for a second opinion on this issue or if I should even spend any more money investigating the problem. I would probably have to take the shop to court to get any resolution and there's no guarantee of winning in the courts.

Old 03-03-2023, 05:42 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,124 Likes on 791 Posts

1. There are many things that could be wrong. Only an inspection will tell.
2. A pothole damaged the e-diff?? That’s one hellava pothole.
3. ?? $46k ?? Thats not right.
4. What does your dealer say… or a least a shop that only specializes in Jags and LRs.

Old 03-03-2023, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Chitown7170
I am sadly announcing the death of my 2010 xkr. I have previously posted a need for cv axle shaft after hitting a large pothole. I managed to find a new part and was also told the differential motor was bad and needed to be replaced. That was about 6 months ago. Now, I'm accelerating to get onto the interstate, I hit another series of potholes and start to hear a banging from the rear of the car. The banging moves from the rear to the front, so I put the car in neutral and immediately hear metal grinding. The engine died and I coasted as far as I could to get closer to the next exit. Of course the motor is now seized. My question is, there is a e-diff not available warning along with an adaptive dynamics fault on the dash console. Do you think the diff motor locked up causing a cascading effect destroying the transmission and engine?
I know it sounds crazy to say that a series of potholes locked up the e-diff and ruined the engine, but it was operating normally, i hit the holes, then the vibrating and thumping noise started immediately after. If the differential motor was improperly installed could this have led to the issue. Of course the shop refuses to look at the differential motor because they don't want to be held liable. So the question is, what are the chances that I could win a law suit against the shop?

Old 03-03-2023, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Isn't 46K more than the car is worth when everything is running well?

The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
guy (03-04-2023), VroomForTwo (03-06-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 08:23 AM

Exactly right! I could buy an xkr-s for that. I believe they're throwing insane prices at me to try to scare me away from investigating the damage. They installed the differential motor months ago and don't want to be held liable. I don't drive the car often so it took awhile to see the effects of what I believe was a poor installation.

Old 03-03-2023, 09:43 PM
Received 598 Likes on 306 Posts

Find an indy shop and get it inspected. You need to find out what is actually wrong with it. Smells like a lot of bullshit is flying around you from the mechanics.

The following users liked this post:
CurtJ (03-03-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 08:01 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,124 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Chitown7170
Exactly right! I could buy an xkr-s for that. I believe they're throwing insane prices at me to try to scare me away from investigating the damage. They installed the differential motor months ago and don't want to be held liable. I don't drive the car often so it took awhile to see the effects of what I believe was a poor installation.
Had the work been done at a Jag dealer… or a shop that works with the Jag network, you’d have a year warranty.
What did “the shop” give you, 30 days??

Nonetheless, I think you are barking up the wrong tree. There is no winning this as its all hearsay.
My .02.
Sorry.

Old 03-04-2023, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 721 Likes on 357 Posts

I'm curious...and can't determine how...a failed Edif can be the cause of a damaged engine.
A damaged transmission yes and maybe a locked up transmission could prevent an engine from spinning but damaging it? Please enlighten me.
wj

Old 03-05-2023, 03:40 PM
Received 71 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by panthera999
Find an indy shop and get it inspected. You need to find out what is actually wrong with it. Smells like a lot of bullshit is flying around you from the mechanics.
Agreed. You need to get the car to a reliable shop that has some experience with JLR vehicles to get a second opinion on what's needed. Don't jump to conclusions.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Regardless of What Caused What, replacing an entire engine costs about $25,000 USD on the high end. An entire E-Diff, about $8,000. That's also on the very high end. Therefore, no more than $30k for the both. That's IF they need replacing and not repair.
I agree with the SCARE YOU AWAY pricing.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 626 Likes on 414 Posts

I doubt the E diff caused this kind of cascading issue. Have it inspected before you accept the engine got killed by potholes. Did the car have oil? Coolant? Something doesnt add up

Old 03-08-2023, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

OK worst case scenario, lets assume the Ediff locked up. If that happened, your cars tires would have stopped immediately and you would’ve been skidding down the road.

Engine seizing and locking up the rear don’t go together. ive never heard of an engine seizing from a locked up rear. If your torque converter blew apart or your flex plate broke, yeah it would lock up the motor but the murder would still be good after you change those parts.

If your differential welded itself together so it was just one solid hunk of metal first thing that would happen is your wheels would start to skid maybe your driveshaft would snap off. Maybe you blow out some gears out the side of your transmission. But it won’t cause the engine to seize. The engine might stall, but it wouldnt freeze up and be toast

Did you try to turn it over? Did it crank?

Have the shop explain to you how a seized differential can cause the engine to seize because they won’t be able to. An engine seizes when the clearances inside the engine get too tight so that a piston gets stuck in the cylinder or the bearings stop the crankshaft from turning but normally what happens is it doesn’t seize up, it just breaks **** like breaks a rod that comes to the side of the block, or the bearings score of the crank journals all the hell but it doesn’t seize. In the end you can see is if it gets way too hot.

If you’re just putzing along at low idle, a broken rod could cause your engine to lock up, but not if you’re cruising down the road, because it would have enough force to push itself thru the side of a block. but it’s possible it could seize up. If an engine gets too hot, it can seize. if the timing chain breaks can you jam all your valves into the piston heads it could seize but a locked up differential is just going to either break the driveshaft off break the transmission and stall your engine.

The price for the engine is freaking ridiculous because first of all I don’t think you can get brand new engines for your car anymore. It’s over 13 years old. I think they only have them for 10 years and I don’t think any of the newer models would be similar enough to use. It would have to be a used engine or a rebuilt engine but let’s just assume that there is a crate engine sitting in the Jaguar warehouse someplace, it’s not gonna cost that much money maybe $20,000! somebody go on a jaguar electronics pot cataloging and price out an engine

Last edited by Aarcuda; 03-08-2023 at 11:39 AM.