XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2010 XKR Supercharger Torsion Isolator

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 02:57 PM
Received 70 Likes on 26 Posts

Agghhh... what a horrible job. Put everything back together and left that little pipe right until the end. The new pump I got has a slightly different connector from the black plastic collar version shown above, it's got some kind of really small metal ring. I pushed the pipe in as far as it would go but it was sticking out too far compared to the when in the old pump. So I thought it hadn't seated correctly so took almost an hour to try and take it back out again, the release clip on the new pump just would not let go. Eventually I just pulled the whole lot out and the gripper ring came out with the pipe.

****, ****, ****.

At least I could now check the pipe was going in deep enough, and it was, I needn't have dicked around with it and should have just left it sticking out a bit further than on the old pump.

Took another half hour to work out how to jam the gripper ring and pipe in together and managed to scratch the pipe end whilst doing it. So although the pipe is now in place, and being held in place, I fully expect it to seep and drip when I refill the car tomorrow and get it up to temp.

What a PITA!

Oh well, fingers crossed, it might not leak, maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic. LOL

Old 09-01-2017, 02:08 AM
Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Oops! That's a shame Piersman. I was tempted to buy a pattern pump but in the end went with a genuine Jag one which came with a new plastic pipe.
I hope yours doesn't leak. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:20 PM

When I **** up, I'm happy to admit it. Well, not happy, but willing .

I googled 6mm connectors earlier today with a view to buying something to replace what I'd done assuming that it would leak.

After looking at several images of differing connectors I had a moment of revelation, a true moment of 'Oh my god I can't believe I've been so stupid'.

When I looked at the new connector during fitting, for some reason I'd assumed the blue plastic bit was some kind of protective dust cap... and had removed it... it didn't some out easily.

I realised as I perused the google images that the blue 'dust cap' I had removed wasn't a cap, but the collar piece. . So no wonder the bloody pipe didn't fit well, deep enough and wobbled around.. I'd yanked out the collar from the fitting.

Luckily I had some spare 6mm pushfit fittings laying around that used the same collar and grip system so managed to fix the connector up, with a short piece of new pipe and then used a short length of fuel line to join to the scratched coolant pipe connector.

All's well that ends well, but really I could have smacked myself in the face when I twigged what I'd done and that several wasted hours of time and frustration were absolutely the fault of my own stupidity.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

If I smacked myself on the same side of my head every time I **** up, my head would look like a 'D'.
Congrats on the find and fix!

Old 09-02-2017, 03:06 AM
Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Oops!!!

BIG OOPS!!!!!

We all do silly things sometime. Well done for owning up.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:43 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by CatScratchFever
Thanks for your suggestion. I'll give that a try. I'm thinking it might be something else as it does it even when warm, say, after stopping to fill with fuel and then restarting. Almost a deeper knocking on a piece of steal sound. And if sitting in the car with the driver door open, if you lean out and put your head down towards the rocker it sounds like it's coming from under the vehicle. I'll probably get it back to the dealer and have them start it and raise it to see if something is loose, or if it's just a normal sound related to the exhaust. maybe this noise was already there with the supercharger knock. Someone suggested perhaps a loose piece in either a catalytic converter or the small resonators pulsing at startup.
hello there, have you come to an answer for that occasional deep knock sound? i'm wondering about same thing on 2010 xf supercharged. it's not always and does seem to be when first started with warm engine such as after refueling. i hesitate to call it a knock because it's almost a rotational "lope" of the engine. but it goes away with any slight throttle pedal pressure and it does not present itself at any time of that occasionally at idle. i agree that it sounds like from bottom of driver's side engine.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:56 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam J
hello there, have you come to an answer for that occasional deep knock sound? i'm wondering about same thing on 2010 xf supercharged. it's not always and does seem to be when first started with warm engine such as after refueling. i hesitate to call it a knock because it's almost a rotational "lope" of the engine. but it goes away with any slight throttle pedal pressure and it does not present itself at any time of that occasionally at idle. i agree that it sounds like from bottom of driver's side engine.
Hey Adam, no I haven't had a chance to have it looked at further - got busy with a work project. The knocking sound is definitely there even after the supercharger was updated. Now that work is quieting down a bit I may make an appointment to have it looked at again at the dealer. Allan

Old 05-31-2018, 04:28 AM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Hello

Been reading this with interest and doing other research.

Mine isn't noisy yet but when I had the water pump replaced there was a little play in the pulley (could be rotated 10 degrees or so before engaging).

Going to order the solid coupler from America but is it worth doing the snout bearings at the same time or is that overkill?

Also where do you get the oil and gaskets?

Thanks in advance

Old 05-31-2018, 04:55 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The snout bearings aren’t always bad but I recommend doing them at the same time you do the isolator. There is a YouTube video link in the listing on eBay that shows you how to replace the snout bearings.

All the dealer (GM, Ford, Jaguar, etc) oil is the same oil.

Www.ebay.com/itm/122536116106

Old 05-31-2018, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by qualitysuperchargers
The snout bearings aren’t always bad but I recommend doing them at the same time you do the isolator. There is a YouTube video link in the listing on eBay that shows you how to replace the snout bearings.

ah hi. I've just messaged you about buying 2 kits. (my friends need doing ... much worse than mine)

Old 05-31-2018, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Does anyone have any feedback on the solid isolator? I bought one a few months ago but have also managed to persuade my warranty company to supply a new snout as per the TSB so I am wondering whether to stick with the stock one or go solid when it is fixed.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:15 AM

One quick question. Do you need to lift the SC out with the inlet manifolds attached. There is a bolt you cant access from the top I think that connects the manifolds to the SC

Old 07-03-2018, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by nw83
One quick question. Do you need to lift the SC out with the inlet manifolds attached. There is a bolt you cant access from the top I think that connects the manifolds to the SC
If I recall correctly, when you take out the S/C , it all comes out as a unit with both inlet manifolds attached... and a bracket on the back of it where there's a bolt you just can't get to with the unit in the car.

I only recall the bracket because it was only when re-assembling that I realised I just couldn't get that 1 bolt in to re-attach the bracket with the unit in the car. I had to take it back out, attach the bracket with the 3 bolts , and then plop it back down again.

Old 02-23-2020, 05:15 PM
d a
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Where did you buy your new isolator from? is there a part number and is this for the 2010 MY XKR? Thanks.

Old 02-23-2020, 05:31 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

hey all, i can vouch for this guy @ quality superchargers - i sent my entire s/c to him for the full rebuilt job and he put smaller pulley on, changed oil, bearings, isolator with solid one and reassembled

Old 05-20-2020, 05:58 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Jaguar never used machined metal, the torsion coupler has some springs and plastic.

If you want to find the isolators, I sell on eBay. Look for key words below.

jaguar supercharger 5.0

Please let me know if the isolator can be replaced by only servicing the snout and not removing the complete supercharger. My car is going in to the dealer for an isolator replacement. Should I use your solid isolator? If they need to remove the supercharger I should probably have the cooler hose, from/rear cooler manifold replaced also as they are problem parts. I have a 2014 XKR. Maybe even replace all of the water hoeses and belts too since the car is 6-7 years old. I don't have much time to decide because the isolator is being replaced through CPO warranty and the car is going back when the parts arrive. I'll like to have a good argument to replace the isolator with the solid one as well as a good argument for the other work while the top of the engine is accessible.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (05-20-2020)