XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2011 Blue Convertible Top Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Blue Convertible Top Problem

I have a 2011 XK convertible with a blue top. There are two almost identical white marks on top. They are mirror immages of each other and they appear directly across from each other about two inches above the main side windows, and each is about 5 inches. The marks appear at a pivot pont where the top folds. Each one looks like a bird flying at you with wings flapping up. On the passenger side the threads of the top fabric are beginning to fray out in an area about the size of a pencil eraser. The car has 43k miles and it has been babied, stored winters. The top has been down on sunny days, but never down over night. I have not seen this type of mark on any other top, including black ones. Jaguar corporate says that it's wear and tear, but the car mileage is too low for me to believe that (no longer under warranty.) The white marks look like the blue dye has faded in these spots. I am wondering if when the top is down in the boot if the stress on this pivot point in the top has forced the dye out of the fabric. Does anyone have any ideas about this. From what I understand, a new top would run $5000.
Many thanks in advance.
John

Old 11-07-2016, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

My black top doesn't have any marks in that location at all. It does, however, have a crease-like thing between the rear window centerline down to about where the trunk gap meets the C-Pillar. Both sides. I use my top quite a bit also.

The following users liked this post:
jafjag (11-08-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,214 Likes on 918 Posts

This is a new one on me. I have owned three different XKs and have not had the issue you are describing. Normally, any convertible top fabric will show creases where the top folds over when down. that is normal wear and tear. Why don't you find a top shop in your area and take your car in there to get an opinion. If they tell you that it is not normal wear and tear, I would go back at Jaguar NA again with photos this time and asked to get elevated if necessary. Good luck.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:40 PM
Received 335 Likes on 201 Posts

Post some pics of the issue for a better assessment.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,389 Likes on 3,500 Posts

If the fabric isn't torn or badly frayed, why not see if a good auto upholstery/top shop can dye those areas?

jafjag (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Another option for DIY solution is to re-dye the top, I did this with my black top using Renovo soft top reviver kit. Not sure it the blue they have matches the blue of your top???

Convertible Car Cleaner | Renovo Soft Top Reviver

Old 11-08-2016, 06:14 PM

Did you have a blue top? I don't see this mark on any other top. I do plan to go to a high end convertible top shop and get an opinion. I have already escalated this claim and found the executive escalation team to be recalcitrant, claiming this is normal wear and tear. I can have the top redyed, but the stitching breaking out at the pivot point is unfixable.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:37 PM
Old 11-08-2016, 06:39 PM

Note - the stain or fade is between two lateral top bars that stretch and squeeze this spot on the top symmetrically to both sides. Thanks for the interest and help. John

Old 11-08-2016, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

That's nasty. Me, I'd suck it up and get a new roof.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

This looks like a wear problem from the top frame. Is there any damage on the inside . To early in life for this to happen. Normal wear and tear should at least last 10 years. Are you seeing any water leakage inside. I open my top every time I get in the car and close it every time I park it. I'll just have to keep an eye on this and see when/if it develops.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member

Those pictures show very unusual wear caused by the frame, not just the color but fraying the canvas. My tan top has nothing like that and we use it all the time, my previous black topped car also had no wear in those spots.

I would stay on Jaguar Corporate. Are you the original owner? I would think that they would give you more consideration if you bought it new, plus that must just be out of warranty as the 2011 had a 5 year coverage.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the replies and advice. The fraying is "normal wear and tear" according to Jaguar. Oddly enough, Jaguar NA called the dealership to ask if I was a good customer, etc., I'll bet they also asked if I bought it new. I did not. I bought it with 28k miles. I suppose that makes a difference to them. But, you all gave me some good insight. This is not "normal." More after I go to a top shop for expert opinions. J

Old 11-09-2016, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

I guess it is the way of the world, really you should be valued whether you bought new or used, but that is a naive view on my part. Plus I am biased as I always buy used to capture the depreciation discount.

If you bought the car new then you contributed directly to Jaguar's bottom line and perhaps would have a better chance of scoring a "goodwill" fix after warranty has expired. A used car buyer not so certain they are enthused with your problems once warranty is up.

Wear lines are normal, but those are some serious pinch issues.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,214 Likes on 918 Posts

I'm now on my third XK style car (two XKs and an XKR) I have been driving these vehicles 8+ years; putting tops up and down multiple times 200+ days per year and have never seen what you are experiencing. That to me is not normal wear and tear.

At some point you may want to say that the next time Jaguar North America hears from somebody about your vehicle it will be from your attorney. By the way, I did that once with Cadillac involving a convertible top and the problem was resolved within 48 hours. That of course is the nuclear option. Good luck.

Cee Jay (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

Nothing to do with Jaguars, but I once bought a TV from Sears. I paid the clearance price of $999 and the next day I called their service as there was green tinting on both sides of the screen. A guy came out and Degaussed the tube (yes, tube, almost 20 years ago) but it did no good. A week later another tech showed up and messed around a bit and said Sorry, can't help ya.
I went back to the Sears and told 'em I wanted it replaced as it was a REALLY good deal I got on the clearance price. The manager said I could get my money back and buy the New Model for $2,200. Nope, not for me.
I called Sears National Headquarters and complained. The next morning the Store Manager called me in to see him. I sat in his office and he said to me "I'll get you your TV replaced, and we'll be even". He smiled at me and held out his hand. I replied "Damn right you will", looked at his hand, turned around and left.
I got my new AND newer model TV delivered the next day.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:22 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a blue convertible top also and have noticed some from fraying on both sides towards the rear window. Not as bad as yours but mine is a little over 2 years old with 38k miles. I also notice the rubber trim running down the edge of the top along the window is showing and is turning white. I think it happened while at the dealer but they said sun fade. Not likely for a garaged car in the northeast. I see your rubber trim exposed in some areas and maybe discolored. I am wondering if it is normal for it to be visible and or faded. When did yours start showing that wear?

Last edited by rfr66; 11-21-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:35 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I too have a blue top. It is now ten years old. There are no signs similar to yours.

Of course there will always be some small wear marks on any soft top over time, but nothing that should alter it's integrity to keep the weather out. Good luck with facing down Jaguar on your issue.