XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2011 XK Convertible Top and Luggage Separator

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2023 | 02:08 PM
|
Default 2011 XK Convertible Top and Luggage Separator

I need help.

I've read every thread I could find on here, regarding the Convertible Top and Luggage Separator in my car and I'm more lost than when I started. Here's what's going on.

I left my Jaguar in FL for 5 months and for some reason, the expensive Batter Tender I used, didn't work. I suspect it might have timed out somehow, when the temp got to 115-120 degrees in my garage. When I tried to start the car, batter was reasonably dead. I had someone come give it a "jump" and it started right up and after driving 8-10 miles, seems to be running as perfectly as always. In the course of jumping it from the trunk, I unhooked the Luggage Separator and took it out of the trunk. Just tried to put the roof down and the switch does nothing. No noise. No windows going down. No top motor. Silent. No "warning message" that the luggage separator isn't installed or in the correct position.

First: I can't figure out how to get the luggage separator back in (I'm not the most mechanically inclined person on the world). It has a "curved side", a "label side". another "flat side" and 1 curved corner. I looked at all the picts I could find and still can't figure out how to get it back in place.

Secondly: IF someone can give me basic instructions as to how I get the luggage separator back into place, then what? Is my roof likely to work or am going to face other issues, like needing to do a "manual reset" ? (Edit: I'm fairly certain I got the Luggage Separator back in correctly (I was trying to put it in, upside down). Still nothing from the switch.)

I have only had convertible top issues once before and I got the message that the Luggage Separator wasn't properly in place. I simply jiggled it around and my roof worked fine.

Hopefully, some can point me in the right direction here, keeping in mind, I'm not the brightest bulb when it comes to mechanical things. Thank you!

Last edited by BrianL99; 10-26-2023 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Made some progress
Old 10-26-2023 | 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

The top will not retract without the front windows reset to Auto-Up and Auto-Down. Have you done this yet?
If not, here's the easiest and most reliable method;
Do either first, depending on where the glass is to begin...
Hold the UP switch until the window is full up and CONTINUE to hold another 3-4 seconds. Release and hold FULL UP for an additional 3-4 seconds.
Hold the DOWN switch until the window is full down and CONTINUE to hold another 3-4 seconds. Release and hold FULL DOWN for an additional 3-4 seconds.
There are other ways, but this works best for me.
If this doesn't work and you still think the separator isn't correct, I can make a short video or a few pics to assist.

The following users liked this post:
Tiepolo (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023 | 06:01 PM
|
Default Still no joy

I'm 95% sure I have the luggage separated properly attached.

The Automatic Windows seem to be working fine. I went through the sequence you suggested, twice. Both windows operate as they should. Automatic up & automatic down.

If I press the Lower Roof button, nothing happens. No "click". No warning light. Nothing.

If you have any other suggestions, I'd surely appreciate them. Thank you.

Old 10-26-2023 | 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Read through the link below, it may solve your problem.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...orking-231814/

Old 10-27-2023 | 04:28 AM
|

I read through the entire link and I think my problem/issue is different than what I'm reading about.

Activating my roof switch, doesn't do anything at all. There's no sound or movement of anything. No window movement. No engaging of the roof mechanism. No warning lights. Absolutely nothing happens, when the roof switch is activated.

It's like there's a relay or interrupt, that's preventing the the roof switch from operating.

Old 10-27-2023 | 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

I'm surprised that Steve (WhiteXKR) has not found this yet. He's the resident expert in all matters related to convertibles. Maybe shoot him a message?

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
DGL (10-27-2023), ralphwg (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023 | 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by BrianL99
I need help.

I've read every thread I could find on here, regarding the Convertible Top and Luggage Separator in my car and I'm more lost than when I started. Here's what's going on.

I left my Jaguar in FL for 5 months and for some reason, the expensive Batter Tender I used, didn't work. I suspect it might have timed out somehow, when the temp got to 115-120 degrees in my garage. When I tried to start the car, batter was reasonably dead. I had someone come give it a "jump" and it started right up and after driving 8-10 miles, seems to be running as perfectly as always. In the course of jumping it from the trunk, I unhooked the Luggage Separator and took it out of the trunk. Just tried to put the roof down and the switch does nothing. No noise. No windows going down. No top motor. Silent. No "warning message" that the luggage separator isn't installed or in the correct position.

First: I can't figure out how to get the luggage separator back in (I'm not the most mechanically inclined person on the world). It has a "curved side", a "label side". another "flat side" and 1 curved corner. I looked at all the picts I could find and still can't figure out how to get it back in place.

Secondly: IF someone can give me basic instructions as to how I get the luggage separator back into place, then what? Is my roof likely to work or am going to face other issues, like needing to do a "manual reset" ? (Edit: I'm fairly certain I got the Luggage Separator back in correctly (I was trying to put it in, upside down). Still nothing from the switch.)

I have only had convertible top issues once before and I got the message that the Luggage Separator wasn't properly in place. I simply jiggled it around and my roof worked fine.

Hopefully, some can point me in the right direction here, keeping in mind, I'm not the brightest bulb when it comes to mechanical things. Thank you!
Suggest insulating the garage to reduce potential electrical problems. 115-120 degrees?

Old 10-27-2023 | 03:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CA Jag
Suggest insulating the garage to reduce potential electrical problems. 115-120 degrees?
It's easily that in my parking garage every summer. I've never had a problem like this.

Old 10-27-2023 | 04:39 PM

Glad to hear it's worked out for you. I keep my XKR in a shed that's typically mid 80's even when it's 100+ degrees outside. Who knows, maybe it means I get a few more trouble free miles. Out here, it helps sell the car if you can say it's been stored in a garage.

Old 10-27-2023 | 05:53 PM
|
Default Follow up ...

So it's in a shop, now.

Supposedly they can't get any communication with the Roof Top Module (I'm not sure what that means).

& if I understand what the Tech just told me, they haven't yet figured out some of the "U Codes" they got from their scanner. Apparently "U Codes" are manufacturer specific? They're waiting to get a response back from a couple of sources they use. Identifix & AllData I think they're called? It's all over my head, I just want my convertible top back to operational.

I just sent an email to WhiteXKR. I'm hoping he can point us in the right direction.

Thank you for all your responses. This site is a great resource, especially for those of us who are mechanically & technically challenged, like myself.

Last edited by BrianL99; 10-27-2023 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Updated
Old 10-28-2023 | 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
If this doesn't work and you still think the separator isn't correct, I can make a short video or a few pics to assist.
Cee Jay, I'm looking forward to that video!

About the luggage separator: 1) it can be difficult to get right. 2) it must be properly seated in the extended position that restricts storage.
3) there is a small metal tab in the left-hand side of the luggage protector. It is not critical that the base (rear-most) portion of the luggage protector is seated exactly. It is critical that the left-hand side of the luggage protector is engaged in the extended position. That is where a magnetic sensor is "activated" by the metal "tab".
4) the metal tab has been known to fall out of the luggage protector, i.e., be lost.

Old 10-28-2023 | 06:25 PM
|

Just a quick update, although I'm not sure exactly what solved my problem, but WhiteXKR is responsible.

Steve responded to my email and made it clear that messing around without knowing I had a fully charged, good battery, made the difference. I bit the bullet and had them replace the battery before doing anything else. Apparently, that was all it took. I didn't ask them a lot of questions, I was just thrilled to death they got it working.

I'm guessing that replacing the battery reset all the modules and with the new battery, it started right up and the roof worked.

Thanks to all who offered help and suggestions.

The following 2 users liked this post by BrianL99:
drphilgood (11-14-2023), kj07xk (10-28-2023)
Old 10-28-2023 | 07:09 PM
Veteran Member

I guess we all are failing, as most of us members start screaming "IT'S THE BATTERY!!!" right off the bat. Sorry about that. I've been having problems with batteries for three days now, on the third one.

It MAY have also had something to do with a battery-disconnect which is most of a "Hard Reset" where the battery is disconnected and the two cables touched together for a few seconds.

Regardless of how or why, I'm glad you got stuff working again.

Bill400 (10-29-2023)
Old 10-29-2023 | 10:51 AM

Good catch, WhiteXKR!

Once again: "Other things being equal, a simpler explanation is better than a more complex one"

A lesson generally learned the hard way: As a service technician, you are advised that "I checked the (fill in the blank), and it's OK.".
It doesn't matter who checked it and how much experience they may have, stick to your procedure.

Maybe the Jaguar Forum refrain should be "How did you check the battery?" rather than "did you?".

Old 10-29-2023 | 02:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bill400
Cee Jay, I'm looking forward to that video!...........
I tried, can't do it alone and install the divider while holding a camera.

Bill400 (10-30-2023)