XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2011 XKR owned for 17 days . . and it is dead - RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 02:44 PM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
So what you're saying here.... is that this Foxwell can modify settings?
Turn DRLs on and off?
Reset Battery System?
Possibly reset seat modules?
Turn Rear Camera on/off?
That would really be a benefit, and cheap.
I haven't poked around thru all the menus yet, but I have already seen options for programming things like "Satellite Digital Audio" and followed the prompts to be able to select options for "Fitted" or "not Fitted" etc.
It has all the prompts for programming new Smartkeys and I followed the steps all the way until it asked me to but the keys on the shifter surround.. etc. I did not complete that task because I only have 1 key as of this moment and don't want to mess that one up.

Battery Reset is there. Seat Module options seem to be there. Haven't made it to the Lighting section or rear camera stuff yet.

Once my new Battery Charger arrives(my 20 year old one just fried last week) so I can put it on while programming I will feel more confident in trying some of those modes. I will report back as I am able to successfully(or not) try out some of the programming features.

I totally get what Jeremy and some of the other guys are saying, of course there is no substitute for the full blown factory software system, but there seems to be more "there, there" with the Foxwell. I bought the NT510 as just a quicky scan tool to see look for any error codes I need to address. IF it can also program new keys as it says it can, then I will be very happy. And yes, it is just a band-aid until I get up to speed on getting the right hardware/software for an SDD system.

Cheers,

Dave

The following 2 users liked this post by 10XKR:
Cee Jay (03-21-2018), Sean W (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

OK maybe updated functionality? My Son's does no programming. Resetting, yes, programming no. Dave, it would be great if you could start another thread entitled "Foxwell functionality" when you get to testing as this thread was hijacked a bit. It would also help to know which Foxwell N510 you have as there are variations. My kid's isn't the Professional and older. Mandrake swears by it too so it would be great if I were wrong on it.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,319 Likes on 3,464 Posts

Good luck with your extended "warranty". Please keep us informed as to how much, if anything, is covered. Don't be surprised if they deny coverage as being a "pre-existing condition". Hopefully, the dealer that sold it to you will fight for you.

Lots of horror stories are on the internet about "extended warranties", which are really service contracts provided by third-party insursnce companies unrelated to Jaguar.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:22 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Stuart, you are correct. It is a service contract provided by a third-party insurance company, rather than a Jaguar extended warranty. That being said, the local Jaguar dealer worked with the insurance company and took care of all the paperwork. I didn't even get hit with the deductible (not sure if it was the original dealer who covered that, given that the problem occurred so soon after purchase), so from where I stand, it was a good investment.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:45 PM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
OK maybe updated functionality? My Son's does no programming. Resetting, yes, programming no. Dave, it would be great if you could start another thread entitled "Foxwell functionality" when you get to testing as this thread was hijacked a bit. It would also help to know which Foxwell N510 you have as there are variations. My kid's isn't the Professional and older. Mandrake swears by it too so it would be great if I were wrong on it.
Hi Sean,
Well so far it looks like you(and others) were absolutely correct about the Foxwell NT510... it is a pile of promises with no follow through! This thing will take you through all the steps to actually do something and acts like it is working through all the prompts, then fails for various reasons at the last step. Since I received my new battery charger with 55 and 20 amp "Service Modes" to insure I had proper voltage I am getting all the same failures with the NT510 that I had previously blamed on a low voltage situation. So I was wrong about it, it seems to be loaded with all the fancy menus and supposed features but it will not communicate properly when it counts.

Don't get me wrong, it is a decent OBDII/Canbus scanner/reader and will clear normal code stuff, but so will most $29 scanners. BUT, when it comes to Jaguar specific programming it appears to be a complete sham!

My apologies to anyone that I recommended this thing to.

Live and learn, but I thought it was at least worth a shot, and you never know until you try. Time to jump into the SDD world and get myself a proper system.

Cheers,

Dave

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (03-29-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 05:16 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by 10XKR
Hi Sean,
Well so far it looks like you(and others) were absolutely correct about the Foxwell NT510... it is a pile of promises with no follow through! This thing will take you through all the steps to actually do something and acts like it is working through all the prompts, then fails for various reasons at the last step. Since I received my new battery charger with 55 and 20 amp "Service Modes" to insure I had proper voltage I am getting all the same failures with the NT510 that I had previously blamed on a low voltage situation. So I was wrong about it, it seems to be loaded with all the fancy menus and supposed features but it will not communicate properly when it counts.

Don't get me wrong, it is a decent OBDII/Canbus scanner/reader and will clear normal code stuff, but so will most $29 scanners. BUT, when it comes to Jaguar specific programming it appears to be a complete sham!

My apologies to anyone that I recommended this thing to.

Live and learn, but I thought it was at least worth a shot, and you never know until you try. Time to jump into the SDD world and get myself a proper system.

Cheers,

Dave
No $29 scanner will be able to scan and clear all modules in our car. Foxwell and Icarsoft can and that's why they cost a little more but is paid for by one trip to a Jag dealer.:-)
The SDD is the tool to have but it's more complicated and is way more expensive.

Last edited by peterv8; 04-01-2018 at 05:20 AM.