XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2012 vs 2014 XK

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 12:30 PM
Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts
Default 2012 vs 2014 XK

Need some quick help here does anybody know what the differences are between these two years I'm going to look at 2 tomorrow ones at 12 and the other one's a 14 wonder if there's any major changes or advancements Im pretty much sure they look the same. . Thanks

Old 08-04-2020, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 281 Posts

Sure pretty much the same but I know they brought out a dynamic R model in year 14, others will advise

Old 08-04-2020, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

Yeah, not much difference if any at all. Oh, except the 2014 is newer.
If one's a 'vert, get that one.
All the 2012+ models have Sticky-Buttons, so be prepared for that possibility.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:06 PM
GGG
Received 16,867 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Perhaps some browsing could prove informative:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...chures-232895/

Graham

Old 08-04-2020, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
All the 2012+ models have Sticky-Buttons, so be prepared for that possibility.
Really? They wanted to be Italian?

Old 08-04-2020, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

I wouldn't let the sticky button issue get in the way, takes 20 minutes to clean off any one area, numerous threads on how to accomplish with all different types of fluids (I used WD-40, others goo gone or alcohol, etc).

Unlike the Italian models once you wipe of the top goo you still have the icons on the button so they look the same only goo free. Easy to do so not worth thousands of cost if a significant price difference.

Old 08-04-2020, 02:43 PM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

You will need to check, but 2012 is likely to be a standard XKR - it may have black and or speed pack added. My advice get the Dynamic R. Its sharper handling. XK Dynamic R is in essence an XKR-S less the aggressive spoiler and bumper and standard 510bhp instead of 550.

copied and pasted from web sites below.

Dynamic R
  • The performance focused 510PS XK Dynamic R model benefits from a standard fit Black Dynamic Pack, incorporating XKR-S suspension and dynamics and a 10mm reduction in ride height, plus Speed Pack aerodynamic upgrades and a range of other additions including the new Diamond Sewn Performance seat with contrast stitch
The supercharged XK Dynamic R edition also benefits from Jaguar's Active Differential Control technology. This uses a multiplate clutch to vector torque to the driven wheel with the most grip. Allied to ABS and stability control, this allows for the ultimate in traction and precision both mid-corner and at its exit. The XK Signature model uses a mechanical differential, which delivers outstanding levels of grip and stability under power.

Both cars feature Dynamic Stability Control system, which offers four modes: Normal, Winter, TracDSC and DSC Off, allowing the enthusiastic driver to choose the level of intervention dependent on road conditions.

The double wishbone front suspension on both cars features a fully-machined steering knuckle which significantly increases camber and castor stiffness by 0.13 degrees per kilo newton, to transform the accuracy and weighting of the steering for greater levels of connection, feedback and precision. Rear suspension geometry benefits from rear wheel steer - optimised for maximum agility.

The XK Dynamic R features as standard the Black Dynamic Pack - incorporating suspension technology from the XKR-S - which adds a stiffer knuckle for improved steering precision, uprated spring and damper settings and Jaguar's Adaptive Dynamics system, which performs three main functions; controlling vertical body movement, roll and pitch rates. One hundred times every second, Adaptive Dynamics analyses the thousands of inputs and variables which determine ride and handling characteristics. Additionally, the XK Dynamic R's ride height is lowered by 10mm, giving the car more of an assertive presence on the road. The Dynamic R also comes as standard with Speed Pack, which increases the maximum speed from 155mph to an electronically limited 174mph. In addition to the increased maximum speed, the pack also includes a body-coloured Aerodynamic Pack with front splitter and larger rear spoiler, as well as a body-coloured rear diffuser and side sill extensions. A Performance Active Exhaust is also fitted as standard.

INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR DETAILS

Standard on the XK Signature are Luxury seats available in Ivory or Charcoal soft grain leather. The interior also features Canvas Suedecloth headlining, Figured Ebony veneers and Bright Metal sport pedals.

The XK Dynamic R boasts Jaguar's new diamond sewn Performance seat in either Ivory/Charcoal soft grain leather with Ivory contrast stitch or Charcoal/Red soft grain leather with Red contrast stitch leather. Featuring integrated head restraints and increased lateral and squab support, the new seats hold driver and passenger securely and comfortably in place. The 16-way adjustment of squab, cushion, lumbar and bolster elements is supplemented by memory and heating functions. The interior Jet Suedecloth headliner is complemented with Piano Black veneers. Bright Metal sport pedals are also fitted as standard.

The central seven-inch touch-screen provides an intuitive interface for the extensive technology that is seamlessly incorporated into the XK, including iPod and USB connectivity and satellite navigation with DVD mapping. The central screen also projects the image from the new Reverse Park Camera, which is fitted as standard to both special edition cars.

The XKR Speed Pack

The XKR Coupe with new optional Speed Pack allows customers to further strengthen their XKR’s already impressive breadth of capability, by extending the car’s top speed from 155mph (250km/h) to an electronically limited 174mph (280km/h) thanks to a unique engine and transmission recalibration.

To ensure the XKR with Speed Pack remains stable at high speeds, the coupe uses a revised front aerodynamic splitter and larger rear spoiler to provide increased balance and a reduction in lift. The XKR’s computerised Active Differential Control also adjusts to reduce steering sensitivity at very high speeds, further improving stability and driver control.

Every XKR with the Speed Pack will come with body-coloured side sills and rear diffuser, and a chrome finish to the window surrounds, upper and lower mesh grilles, side Power Vents and boot lid finisher. Red brake callipers with a Jaguar ‘R’ logo sit inside 20-inch Kasuga alloy wheels.

The XKR Speed And Black Pack

For customers looking to create a real statement with their Speed Pack XKR Coupe, the new optional Black Pack allows them to own a bold and purposeful Jaguar with undeniable visual impact thanks to menacing gloss black wheels and exterior detailing.

Available only with the Speed Pack, XKRs fitted with the Black Pack have a paint palette selected from colours that Jaguar’s Design team believe to be ideal for creating a coupe with immediate exclusivity. The Black Pack models will be available in Ultimate Black, Polaris White or Salsa Red and boast eye-catching 20-inch gloss black Kalimnos alloy wheels.

Further gloss black finishing is applied to the window surrounds and front grilles. Red painted brake callipers contrast strongly with the black alloy wheels, while body coloured front and rear spoilers and boot lid finisher round out the package. Customers also have the option to apply a sweeping ‘XKR’ side body graphic that runs along the door sills.

Jaguar’s Design Director, Ian Callum, says the new Black Pack is a fitting addition to the XKR: “While Jaguars are about beauty, they are also about speed and power. With the optional Black Pack you can now add a sense of drama and severity to that performance.”

In addition to the Black Pack’s exterior changes, the Jaguar Designers’ Choice programme has also selected a range of interior trims that support the visual impact of the car. All XKRs with the Black Pack will be trimmed with Charcoal leather hides that can be personalised with a range of colour stitching and grain. Three interior finishes and veneers for the fascia and door trims are also available – Dark Oak, Dark Mesh Aluminium and Piano Black.

The following users liked this post:
George05 (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 02:51 PM
Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm just really interested in getting the new facelifted 2012 and up I just sold my 07 XK and the extra horsepower won't her either

The following 2 users liked this post by viper1996:
George05 (08-04-2020), mosesbotbol (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
I wouldn't let the sticky button issue get in the way, takes 20 minutes to clean off any one area, numerous threads on how to accomplish with all different types of fluids (I used WD-40, others goo gone or alcohol, etc).

Unlike the Italian models once you wipe of the top goo you still have the icons on the button so they look the same only goo free. Easy to do so not worth thousands of cost if a significant price difference.
I wish that were true, after 5 years and pretty much no use the button surfaces developed the sticky curse so I used a bit of isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth and wiped of the failed soft touch coating along with the silk screen printed icons, now they can only be seen at night with the backlight on. Oddly enough the same happened to the Range Rover but the icons did NOT come off.

To answer this thread, 2012 was the last facelift and update to the X150 model. As noted each year had various package/trim options but that was it.

viper1996 (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 07:09 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 941 Likes on 615 Posts

The 5l SC engine had a more robust timing chain tensioner installed at some time. The timing chain tensioner is a problem with these engines. Jaguar even changed the recommended oil viscosity from 5w20 to 0w20 to help with the problem. I believe my 2014 came with the the upgraded tensioner. I don't know at what year or VIN the upgrade happened but it is documented in a posting.

The water pump has gone through a number of revisions and still is a problem so there is little to be gained.

More important than anything I would look for a low mileage, well maintained, unmolested example with the options and color of choice. I'm on my third XKR. After selling my 2011 after one year of ownership, and 2013 after 2 years of ownership I waited 4 years to buy the XKR I desired at the price I wanted to pay.

Last edited by DGL; 08-04-2020 at 08:58 PM.
viper1996 (08-07-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Really? They wanted to be Italian?
I didn't have any sticky buttons on mine. Must be a hot weather problem. Just sayin

Old 08-04-2020, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I didn't have any sticky buttons on mine. Must be a hot weather problem. Just sayin
It started in late 90's across the board with all FIAT parts bin brands. Multipla or Modena; did not matter.

Old 08-04-2020, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
No doubt at all regardless of how little a car is driven or how it is kept in a garage and out of the sun most of the time, geographic location has a massive bearing on the longevity of parts used in JLR cars as well as other marques.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
I wish that were true, after 5 years and pretty much no use the button surfaces developed the sticky curse so I used a bit of isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth and wiped of the failed soft touch coating along with the silk screen printed icons, now they can only be seen at night with the backlight on. Oddly enough the same happened to the Range Rover but the icons did NOT come off.

To answer this thread, 2012 was the last facelift and update to the X150 model. As noted each year had various package/trim options but that was it.
Perhaps it was because of the alcohol? Mine look great with no issue after cleaning with WD-40, of course sprayed into a container outside so I had it in liquid form. No smell, button clean in minutes, dissolved right off.

Anyway, worrying about the buttons seems to be the least of the issues, since you have an '08 I guess it isn't limited to the '12 and up models.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

No, I replaced the faceplate with a new one from 2015 as I preferred the black and chrome with the carbon fiber interior trim. Never used the buttons so costing failure has little to do with use. Alcohol applied to microfiber worked fine on the Range Rover but icons on the Jag wiped right off along with the coating. Others here have said they used alcohol and you even mentioned it in your post so it certain why these were different.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

I get it, I only mentioned it as there have been several threads where folks used all different fluids, including alcohol, and like you I did not see any report of the icons wiping off. You are the exception but it is the first that I have seen that result so now I revise my statement, personally I would be careful with alcohol due to your outcome. I did not use or test alcohol.

It is what it is, the vast majority are fine, I stick to my statement that sticky buttons shouldn't be a make or break on buying an XK. Could happen at any time, just as your 2015 buttons got gummy all on their own with little use.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:19 AM
Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
The 5l SC engine had a more robust timing chain tensioner installed at some time. The timing chain tensioner is a problem with these engines. Jaguar even changed the recommended oil viscosity from 5w20 to 0w20 to help with the problem. I believe my 2014 came with the the upgraded tensioner. I don't know at what year or VIN the upgrade happened but it is documented in a posting.
:

I read somewhere on this forum: "Jaguar redesigned the 5.0 L tensioner system (cam chains) in late 2012. 5.0l engines built late 2012 utilize a different system to prevent a well identified premature failure of the tensioner arm thanks to repeated hardened steel on aluminum impact damage.
This includes a TSB recommending use of only the newly designed parts on any early model engine."

This is why I've been looking primarily at 2013 to 2015 models.

Last edited by Norm 427; 08-06-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 534 Likes on 378 Posts

Do all the early 2010+ XKs and Xkrs fall into the problematic tensioner category? At what mileage does it usually become an issue?

Old 08-06-2020, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

I always thought that the "new improved" timing chain stuff on the later models failed more than the previous ones.

Old 08-06-2020, 07:58 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 941 Likes on 615 Posts

I'm quoting this from u102768: "The parts manual lists three tensioners, the first one covered up to VIN B49165, the second from B49166 to B52040 and the last one from VIN B52041.

That part (C2Z28428) still seems to be the latest version."

Thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-159928/page3/