XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2012 XKR: Cold Start Idle "Ticking"

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Indeed that is my way of contributing to a brand that won my heart as a kid. Its given me much.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:10 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XKate
Hi,

Same here, my 2013xkr has the exact same and is at the dealership as we speak, I have 5 days of warranty left.

When I start the car from cold in the garage I drop the windows and listen to the engine, at cold the engine stays at 1000rpm then after a few seconds I here the slight whir and then the engine drops to a steady 500rpm idle ............. With the tick, tick,tick, in time with the revolutions of the engine. Very similar to and it could be a faulty hydraulic tappet. Give the car a bit of throttle down the road and it's gone, but definitely should not be ticking at cold start.

The dealership had it in a few weeks back with the same complaint and fitted a supercharger kit, but it hasn't fixed the problem. When the dealership did the work I managed to travel 30 kms before the car "low coolant "light came on, I pulled over and got enveloped in steam!!!!!!!

Needless to say it had to get a tilt tray ride back to the dealership . Either they hadn't bled the coolant system, or left a hose clip loose, but I was very lucky to not have warped heads. I wrote to Jaguar UK and AU voicing my concern just in case I have a problem in the future with this engine due to work carried out be one of their trusted dealerships.

To say I was not happy would be an understatement, that and the fact I also adopted a few scratches on the top of my driver side wing, they said it wasn't done whilst doing the supercharger and I can't prove they did it, but it definitely wasn't there before, I know every millimetre of this car as I polish it at least once a week, those of you who have the same regime will know where I'm coming from, the car is not perfect, but I know what marks were there and the ones that were not.

I'll update further when I get the car back regarding the tick.

They are also investigating a flickering infotainment screen when the lights are on and driving at night.

I fitted Red stuff front & rear brake pads myself & flushed the brake fluid, the result. Good braking bite and a very small squeak from one rear calipers, that I'm hoping will disappeared when they have bed in, if not I'll apply more Bendigo grease.
Hello, I was wondering if you were able to determine any causes of the flickering infotainment screen when the the lights are on or driving at night? My '11 XKR Coupe has done that a few times, but the dealer cannot duplicate nor can they find any codes thrown. Thanks, Allan

Old 07-18-2017, 11:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

My infotainment screen would flicker slightly in the day (very hard to see unless you really stared at it, and who does that while driving!) But at night, very noticeable. Ended up having a new screen fitted in the dash.

Update on my engine tick/rattle. The Jaguar dealership here on the Sunshine Coast QLD STILL has my car after 8 months!!

It went into the dealership December 2016. Among the reasons for it taking so long....

No parts available in Australia.

Parts taking four weeks to come from jaguar stock in the U.K.

Wrong parts ordered. Re-ordered correct parts (Four weeks delivery time)

(This one's a cracker) No cam locking service tool/ "C" spanner kit at the Jaguar dealership workshop. Had to order from U/K (another four weeks delivery time)

After waiting for the "service tools" to be delivered, then realised wrong vvt had been packed in the part box. Part re-ordered (four week deliver time from the U.K)

Tint on window dried/peeling (due to vehicle stood in the sun for 7 months at the dealership)

Rubber in chrome trim above passenger door popped out of chrome insert (Not a clue on that one)

Starter motor failed, car wouldn't start when I went to collect the car at the dealership three weeks ago. (again possibly due to standing so long) another four weeks wait to order from Jaguar parts U.K.

Matthew Weisner (the head of Jaguar Customer Service Australia) had a bit of a rant on his Facebook page not long back because Netflix took 4 weeks to cancel his account, he said he had never come across such bad service!

I sent Matthew Weisner an email outlining my issues, he didn't reply, but got the Jaguar Customer Service centre to call me.

Well Matthew "People in glass houses". I think you would be positively Pi$$ed if you'd received the service I've been given by your company and still going on after 8 months.....not just 4 weeks.

Not only the waiting time, but the constant phone calls I have made and often not returning my calls when The department is busy and requesting a "call back" to...... The Jaguar dealer on the Sunshine Coast, Jaguar extended warranty, Jaguar Customer Service Australia.

I also contacted Jaguar Coventry U.K. To try and get them to intervene (After all they are the manufacturer) and it is in their interest to keep the customer who buys their brand happy. Jaguar Coventry just fobbed me back off to Jaguar Customer Service Australia.

My next level of action would be to email the head of Jaguar at Tata India (I have a well documented PDF of all calls not returned with dates and to who) the catalogue of events from when my car went into the dealership on 15th December 2016 and bring to their attention what is actually going on here.

Its poor service like this that affects car sales and after sales service. Tata should send Indian executives to oversee the operations and employees in Australia, you only have to look at how Indian call centres are run ( With military precision) to ensure no sales are lost through bad customer service and ensure customer loyalty

Last edited by XKate; 07-18-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member

Take the dealership to court.
They sold a service they simply cannot deliver in a reasonable amount of time.
You have suffered quantifiable losses, 8 months, round it to a year, of depreciation without any use of the car. Thats at least $10K even by cheap US standards. Or 25% of a cars usable life. Yes Jaguar themselves wont certify a car used over 4 years. thats what they consider spent.
Dont waste your time contacting Jaguar, hold some piggy's toes to the fire and watch how quick the rest come out of the woodwork.
It good that you have this guy on record complaining about 4 weeks being an unreasonable amount of time.

The following users liked this post:
XKate (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts
Old 07-19-2017, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

PLEASE go see a barrister immediately.

You have more evidence than you realize- the Judge will make them buy this car back at the amount it was worth 8 months ago and compensate you for the loss of time.

This is what the Judge will see- on numerous occasions they had a choice, spend $70 and get that part sent in 3 days, or make you lose another $1500 a month. For what was their mistake in the first place.

They have lied to you because they know they can and get away with it. I ship all over the world- its impossible to make an air cargo shipment take longer than 3-4days, because the plane can only be in the air a day at the most. And they charge an arm an a leg for storage beyond the time it takes customs to check it. Incidentally, my 700kg shipments costs around $1500 to Australia from USA.

If you dont do something, you will only empower them to do the same to the next unsuspecting soul.

ralphwg (07-20-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 09:37 PM

I'll keep updating on progress.

Many thanks for the support from all, it's very much appreciated.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Follow T & C's advice. He is right on.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:20 AM

I would like to thank all the forum members especially Queen & Counrty.

I did take your advice and went above the dealership to Jaguar Customer Relations Australia. If they were not going to help, then I was going to seek legal advice.

To go above the dealership was not something I wanted to do, I do believe they were trying their best and I had thought that maybe their hands were being tied.

But, enough is enough and I must say that since Jaguar Customer Relations Australia got involved everything moved very quickly and I must say I am very satisfied with how this has turned out.

I now have my car back and although it's the first day back, it's looking and sounding really good 😀

The engine tapping/ticking at start up has gone and the engine sounds absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to put my bum on the soft grain and put some miles on it.

Old 08-31-2019, 02:34 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Hey XKate,

Interesting read and I got to this thread via searching for "noisy cold start Jaguar 5.0 SC V8". Just wondering if you still have the gorgeous looking XKR? And, more importantly, did the fix last more than a day or two?

I have recently acquired an MY15 XFR-S and have a noise that I consider abnormal and it sounds very similar to the sounds you have described in this thread, I also have a "lumpy idle" like a misfire during the cold start, so I may have two issues. Anyway, more interested to see how things have turned out for you.

Kind Regards,

Mark.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 408 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Here is what I did.

Changed oil after driving 1000 miles- 3 times.
Oil is an excellent cleaner on its own-it is one of its purposes.
Fortunately our Castrol jag spec oil happens to be one of the best in this regard.
Used Lubegaurd engine flush each time. Its the only flush I trust. Its NOT really a flush, a varnish dissolver. These are the folks that make the legendary varnish removers and friction modifiers for transmissions.
Ran 9 bottles of Techron.
Its proven and already there in gasoline.
I did this part to address sludge in other parts that generally builds up. (think hydraulic tensioners, piston heads)
The only caution is that it thins oil- you want that, but be prepared to dump the oil as soon as you get to the point of over-thinning. So 500 miles first bottle, 300 miles second and 200 on the third.

All of the steps above can be used for general maintenance and cleanliness.
It will shock you how much more one gets out with Lubegaurd vs just simple oil change.
Using two tankfuls of Thecron before dumping the oil is also a must. Its just a very thin oil that floats stuff off metal, like sludge and carbon. Its non combustible so it can be sent through the combustion cycle. It just thins oil. So they play it safe and recommend only use one tankful per 3,000 miles. But if you know what you are doing, you can use many times that amount, i.e in every tank of gas and dump the oil as soon as you feel it thinning. You will hear it. OR just use the schedule above.
Q&C what engine oil and spec did you use ? I have been using castrol pro 5w20 and so has my indy for oil changes but today from cold start i could hear it "ticking " slightly more than normal from cold . i was going to do same as yourself but unsure as to oil spec etc.

Old 08-31-2019, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by George05
Q&C what engine oil and spec did you use ? I have been using castrol pro 5w20 and so has my indy for oil changes but today from cold start i could hear it "ticking " slightly more than normal from cold . i was going to do same as yourself but unsure as to oil spec etc.
For flushing purposes I would use the Shell Helix Ultra in UK, its the same as Pennzoil Ultra in USA. Which has the Jaguar blessing.

After a cleaner engine, I did not find a need to switch to the 0w20, and preferred the lower carbon buildup benefit of the heavier oil.

George05 (08-31-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Q&C good advice

Old 08-31-2019, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member

After adding the flush agent would it be better to remove from pump extraction or sump plug ?

Old 09-01-2019, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

After adding the flush agent would it be better to remove from pump extraction or sump plug ?
About the same. A very kind engineer friend of mine taught me this so I am paying it forward.

If you put used oil in a paper cup you will see that it sticks to the walls, by design oil has a sort of 'glue'.
Add the new generation of engine flushes (glue breakers) to same cup and you will see it no longer sticks as well to the walls.
Now if you use a straw to get the oil out or a hole in the cup, the result will be the same, because its the oil stuck to the walls that mattered.
However, one massive benefit of these viscosity breaking engine flushes is they make the oil flow so extraction is easier.
Its not the same as the old-timey kerosene based flushes that thinned the oil, making the sediments settle to the bottom.

George05 (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 03:10 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks mate

Old 09-02-2019, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Noisy hydraulic chain tensioner and guides at startup? Read this thread from the XJ Forum and use 0W-20, not 5W-20, that meets the new JLR specs.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-done-214277/

George05 (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member

To late Stuart . bought new castrol pro edge 5w20 today for a very good price of £10@litre normaly £17.50 @litre will give it a go for a few month see how the change of fresh oil pans out

Old 09-02-2019, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member

To late
Not too late, use this oil on the final oil change. That way you will be able to keep it in your engine for a year.

Use cheap Helix oil for the cleaning.

The reason you will have to discard the oil after 1000 miles and running 6 bottles of Techron, is that it will thin the oil. What makes it effective is that it does not furn in the combustion cycle. So it accumulates.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

Ta Q&C will buy cheap oil and do as you suggest . (running 6 bottles of techron ? what is that ? a fuel treatment ?

Quick Reply: 2012 XKR: Cold Start Idle "Ticking"