XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2012 XKR convertible need advice head gasket or motor?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 XKR convertible need advice head gasket or motor?

Hi everybody I'm throwing this out there could use some advice on a 2012 black XKR with about 90,000 miles on it it's a convertible beautiful condition and sitting in my driveway for approximately a year bought it at auction and found out after the fact that the oil was milky car would start and then up after a few minutes the smoke from the tailpipe would turn white and then it would stall out. I am mechanically inclined but not to that level after some investigation I feel that it's a head gasket from the milky oil. I live in the Northeast in New York City could use some advice as I'd like to keep the car it's beautiful condition can use the mechanic to either fix the engine or possibly replace don't know which direction to go to and who to ask who has experience. It's a supercharged 5 litre seems to be the same engine from the range rovers so I'm not sure if that's possible to use one of those engines or just to get somebody to fix this one while it's sitting in my driveway.
Originally when I bought the car I thought it was just a coolant leak because there was a cracked hose on the back of the engine right near the firewall that was kind of a u-shape look like it came out of one side of the engine and then went back in I was able to replace that with a new part and then put coolant in it and that's when it started to shut down seem like the water was flowing into cylinders making it choke. I kept having to add coolant to the reservoir and that some point look like the water was coming out of the tailpipe.

Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Assume it is is the head gaskets, and open up the motor. Once inside judge the condition of the cylinders. Probably send the heads out for rebuild.
Check the shaft in the turbo for bearing wear Then close it up, and all should be all right. Check the wastegate is operating well. Qualified mechanic is needed incase there are other complications.

Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM

Since I don't have the expertise or time to do that type of thing can you recommend a New York City mechanic that I can hire? Or should I just look for a junkyard engine I still going to need the mechanic

Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM

Here's some photos of car in otherwise great condition

Need to find someone to do the job

Old Today, 08:32 AM

Personally because of the computer's system complexities, I would do a top overhaul instead of a switch. The price of buying a second engine with a few thou fewer miles, could equal the total price of the existing engine overhaul. Costs would be gasket kit, 2 heads overhauled, new turbo bearings, and a good mature mechanic that can estimate his time. All that, plus 30% incase of problems $.

The following 2 users liked this post by sony2000:
guy (Today), Sean W (Today)
Old Today, 10:01 AM
Default Recommended private mechanic Jaguar XKR?

Can anybody recommend a private mechanic or someone that knows what they're doing at a normal price in Brooklyn New York City area to do this type of work? Please message me

Old Today, 10:59 AM

There are lots of mechanics within 50 miles of you. Just advertise in the local newspapers for experience with Jags or Land Rover or FORD. Secondly find him or her, a helper. All would go much faster with 4 hands. Do you have the garage??

Old Today, 11:12 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,172 Likes on 819 Posts

And that's where we will have to agree to disagree.
In some cases, I am all about outsourcing. And quality typically costs a little more. Of course the value is ownership and responsibility of the fix.
There are some good shops in upper NY state and the shipping of a car is not expensive.

(But it doesn't look like the Triumph (TR4A??) can take on the responsibilities of a daily driver yet??)

As ​​​@sony2000 mentions, I'd go the rebuild path myself too. (In fact I have a few times and have always been happy with the results)

Last edited by guy; Today at 11:19 AM.
Old Today, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by sony2000
There are lots of mechanics within 50 miles of you. Just advertise in the local newspapers for experience with Jags or Land Rover or FORD. Secondly find him or her, a helper. All would go much faster with 4 hands. Do you have the garage??
Don't have a garage but I have a backyard and a front yard that I can put a tent over it before it gets cold here in the Northeast. wonder how long it would take to do the job?

Old Today, 01:59 PM

And yes that is a triumph tr4a with rare independent suspension sitting next to it that needs restoration my dad bought it to restore it . Purchase some Italian parts but never got to do any work to it so it's now going to look for a buyer if anybody's interested . maybe even swap it for the work on the Jag .

Rare independent suspension

Looking for a buyer if anybody wants or for work on the jag XKR
It's a 1966

Last edited by MminyanUSA; Today at 02:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
guy (Today)
Old Today, 03:41 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,172 Likes on 819 Posts

I see the wire wheels. Is there the optional heater and optional overdrive?
Do you have the hardtop?