XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2012 XKR: Driver's Side window on the Fritz

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts
Default 2012 XKR: Driver's Side window on the Fritz

Noted periodically and now more than ever my drivers side window only has been acting up. So I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

1- with the window down when you click for it to go up in one full sweep it goes up but then comes immediately back down.

2- the only way to get the window to go up is to slowly bring the window up without engaging the full sweep automatic up function (the click).

3- the passenger side window is flawless

4- the battery is fully charged

5- no other electrical problems noted with the car

6- I tried resetting the window without any luck

Thoughts??

Loth

Old 03-21-2014, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Noted periodically and now more than ever my drivers side window only has been acting up. So I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

1- with the window down when you click for it to go up in one full sweep it goes up but then comes immediately back down.

2- the only way to get the window to go up is to slowly bring the window up without engaging the full sweep automatic up function (the click).

3- the passenger side window is flawless

4- the battery is fully charged

5- no other electrical problems noted with the car

6- I tried resetting the window without any luck

Thoughts??

Loth
Ryan:

I suggest that you contact member WhiteXKR (Steve) as he appears to be the electronics expert for these late Jaguar models. He is also the person making the remote convertible device that integrates the window movements, so he knows his stuff. I am sure that he could assist. He would be my 1st choice for answering questions about your window problem.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Ryan:

I suggest that you contact member WhiteXKR (Steve) as he appears to be the electronics expert for these late Jaguar models. He is also the person making the remote convertible device that integrates the window movements, so he knows his stuff. I am sure that he could assist. He would be my 1st choice for answering questions about your window problem.

Sent him a PM. If he has no idea then when the car goes in to the dealership to have the new headlights put on im making a formal complaint to have the window motor looked at. Its a very reproducible problem - I would think it would be covered under warranty (the 2012 runs out in 12/15).

Old 03-21-2014, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

My guess would be: the sensor that is supposed to detect when the window is fully closed is flaky. So the window goes all the way up, can't tell that it's hit the top, tries to keep going but can't - and that triggers the anti-trap system. Basically, it thinks you've stuck your fingers in it, so it immediately back-pedals to avoid amputation.

Anyway: if you can get it to misbehave in front of the dealer, you can get it sorted under warranty

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

I would suggest a battery disconnect for a minute or so, and then repeat the reset sequence. It could be a soft error in the door computer module and the battery disconnect will reset it.

If the problem remains after that, there be be a fault in one of the two hall effect position sensors built into the motor/regulator assembly. That might be diagnosable with a Jaguar SDD or AutoEnginuity fault code reader.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
DGL (03-21-2014), Lothar52 (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Alternatively, yoink Fuse 13 (25A, clear) in the rear-seat fusebox, wait a minute, then replace. If that works, it saves you the hassle of reseting everything after a battery disconnect - and it confirms that the problem was in the door module. If it doesn't solve the problem, do what WhiteXKR suggests.

Or make it the dealer's problem, since you're leaving the car with them anyway.

Lothar52 (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

There is a reset procedure detailed in the owners handbook. I'm replying from my cellphone and will provide more information when I get back to my PC. As I recall it involves putting the window up and then holding the window switch in the up position for a few seconds and then lowering the window and holding the switch in the down position for a few seconds. I'll check and let you know when I get back to my PC.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member

Since we are at it...noticed another problem.. The Passenger and Driver side automatic mirror function when u lock/unlock the car... every now and then one or the other do not budge and stay in there locked position close to car when u unlock it. Then when u lock it boy does it make a ruckus and clicks because its already still in and tries to go in further...Then u unlock the car door and WHAM...its works again and open up like nothing??? What gives with that issue ya think? I think u guys are spot on with the window issue. Why else would it go back down unless it thought the finger were stuck??

Last edited by Lothar52; 03-21-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts
Default Window Anti-Trap Protection

From my Owner's Handbook:

"Each electrically operated window has an anti-trap protection feature. If the upward movement of the window detects an obstacle the anti-trap detection system will immediately stop the window closing, then move it downwards for a short distance.

The anti-trap protection will also stop the window closing if a blockage or resistance occurs (e.g. in the window guide channels). Typically this might be due to icing in winter but could also be caused by damage or misalignment of the guide channels or seals.

After the initial attempt to close the window and the anti-trap detection has initiated, operate the close switch a second time. This action must be carried out within 10 seconds.

TO RESET WINDOW ANTI-TRAP PROTECTION
Ensure that the respective door is closed and, if fitted, the convertible roof closed.
  • Fully close the window, then release the switch. Again pull the switch to close the window and hold for two seconds.
  • Open the window fully and release the switch. Again press the switch to open the window and hold for two seconds.
  • Check to confirm the operation by opening the window and then use one-touch operation to close the window.
  • Repeat for the remaining electrically operated windows"

Hope this helps. If so, please click the THANKS button, below right.

Stuart

Old 03-22-2014, 04:28 AM
Veteran Member

Loth said he'd tried the window reset.

Re the mirrors: I suspect the problem might be some grit between the mount and the mirror, increasing the friction. If the mirror doesn't move when the motor tries to shift it, there's a cutout to prevent the motor burning out. BUT:

Thermal cut-out only occurs with the door mirrors in the unfolded position, and resets after 5 minutes.
So, that's why the mirror goes bonkers when it tries to fold in when it's already folded - I'm guessing there's a ratchet mechanism that operates in that direction, rather than the cutout. But it will also move the mirror a bit, then it can open out. Perhaps it would be worth trying to clean/lubricate the mirror-to-mount joint.

I've turned off the auto-fold feature, because a) I'm usually parked in places that aren't narrow, b) I can still fold them if I need to, and c) the less I use the fold feature, the longer it is likely to last. I make sure I use it from time to time, just to keep things moving.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

If none of the above helps there was a TSB issued for windows that reopen when you are trying to close them and the cause is: Incorrect inboard/outboard (lateral) setting of door glass.

The solution is: Carry out door window glass adjustment

Old 03-22-2014, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
And, for the avoidance of doubt, that is not the normal window reset procedure. It involves messing about with Allen screws inside the door.

u102768 (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

tried resetting the window..again. Still doing it. Especially if the window is not completely down and you hit the auto up... does it EVERY single time if the window is down all but an inch - this it goes up auto and immediately comes back down to the same position. It will have to addressed by the dealer. Will take the mirror issue to the dealer as well - at least tell them to document troubles under warranty such that hopefully if they dont find anything - it will be covered down the road if it just stops working - we shall see...thats a hopefully!! I feel like I am constantly complaining to the dealer about "something". Oh well its a 2012 and 2013 I own...its only 2014- they should be perfect if under warranty right?

Loth

Old 03-22-2014, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Loth said he'd tried the window reset.

I've turned off the auto-fold feature, because a) I'm usually parked in places that aren't narrow, b) I can still fold them if I need to, and c) the less I use the fold feature, the longer it is likely to last. I make sure I use it from time to time, just to keep things moving.
I was going to do this as well...Tried this morning...however I do not see how to do this?!?! I dont know why I am missing it. Where exactly do I go? Can you guide me through the buttons on the infotainment screen. I am completely missing this???

Old 03-22-2014, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

I feel like I am constantly complaining to the dealer about "something". Oh well its a 2012 and 2013 I own...its only 2014- they should be perfect if under warranty right? Loth
I would not have any self doubt or concerns about complaining to the dealer for a fix to your problems.

The cars are under warranty...and the dealer will chargeback Jaguar USA for the service time and any parts needed. You paid good money for the cars, Jaguar warranties them, and they have the responsibility to fix them. While under warranty, now is the time to complain and get the problems fixed.

Just be nice to the service reps, take them some donuts if early in the morning. And thank them for addressing and fixing the problems.

REMEMBER: The dealer will always be reimbursed for their time and parts from Jaguar while in the warranty period.

Go get'em Ryan.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
If none of the above helps there was a TSB issued for windows that reopen when you are trying to close them and the cause is: Incorrect inboard/outboard (lateral) setting of door glass.

Does anyone have this TSB in PDF format to print off?!?

Old 03-22-2014, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
I would not have any self doubt or concerns about complaining to the dealer for a fix to your problems.

The cars are under warranty...and the dealer will chargeback Jaguar USA for the service time and any parts needed. You paid good money for the cars, Jaguar warranties them, and they have the responsibility to fix them. While under warranty, now is the time to complain and get the problems fixed.

Just be nice to the service reps, take them some donuts if early in the morning. And thank them for addressing and fixing the problems.

REMEMBER: The dealer will always be reimbursed for their time and parts from Jaguar while in the warranty period.

Go get'em Ryan.
That is a great idea..I Need to bring them some donuts next time!!! I may have a few myself

Old 03-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

I was going to do this as well...Tried this morning...however I do not see how to do this?!?! I dont know why I am missing it. Where exactly do I go? Can you guide me through the buttons on the infotainment screen. I am completely missing this???
Vehicle > Veh. Settings > Security > Mirror fold back

At least, that's the case for a MY11; I doubt they changed it.

Lothar52 (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Vehicle > Veh. Settings > Security > Mirror fold back

At least, that's the case for a MY11; I doubt they changed it.
Same on 2009 MY XKR

Lothar52 (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Does anyone have this TSB in PDF format to print off?!?
Here you go.

Attached Files
Lothar52 (03-22-2014)