XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2012 XKR My Observations So Far

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

I wonder if my car also had initial issues that were addressed under warranty before I got it. Mine was a Jaguar head office car for a short while before going to the dealer that I purchased it from. The executive who drove it likely would have recognized any deficiency, and had the ability to have it rectified before the car was even registered for warranty to begin.

You have a full warranty, and like everyone else will discuss any problems with your dealer and they will be rectified. I would not be happy with the obvious warranty issues you've mentioned either, and again, they will be fixed. Features that don't function as advertised or listed in the manual is annoying. With only 500 miles on the odometer you may not have had a chance to find all the issues, never-mind given the dealer a chance to rectify them. So I'd try to hold your judgement and give the system a chance to work. Fully half of your listed "con" items are warranty related.

What concerns me for you is all the other things you perceive to be "cons". They are not warranty items, and while I consider myself to be very discerning, I wouldn't consider them cons. My ownership experience of nearly 30 vehicles, and the on-line research I did, prepared me to expect and accept that there would be features on every car I considered that I would find not to be ideal, or to my liking, or fall short of the way another manufacturer had implemented it. That positive attitude has worked for me, and without a word of a lie I can not think of one thing that I even consider a short-coming worth mentioning. I drive the car purely for pleasure, and chose it well for that use and my personal needs and preferences.

I've gotten used to a compass being on a mirror, but so seldom use it that it's location is unimportant, and the appearance of the mirror doesn't suffer for it's absence. My daughter has no sense of direction at all and might need to use one frequently. She should purchase accordingly, and I don't care where mine is located.

One of the most widely criticized features of most automobiles over the last several years has been the navigation system. As I was researching new vehicles for both my wife and myself last fall I never did notice a car that got rave reviews for the info/nav system, but some were obviously considered better than others. The navigation feature was not important enough to me to factor into the buying decision, and would have expected that none would be completely satisfactory if it had been. The first day I owned the car I did have occassion to use it to thread me through a maze of secondary and country back roads and found it got me to my destination with ease. That's all I wanted or expected from it, and it performed flawlessly. My wife chose a vehicle based on her priorities, and when factory navigation wasn't available with the feature package she wanted so I gave her a Garmin for X-mas and she's a happy camper.

You're convinced Dunlop Sport Maxx tires are horrible. I've found mine to be very good, and to not have flat-spotting issues even when parked for months. You've got a bad tire(s) and the dealer is replacing. I've had a two different tire radial/cords go off in the past as well, and they were probably Michelins as that's all I buy for street use. Defects happen.

I drove the car all over with friends that had come to visit for the weekend. He was quite taken with the car, and after two days of bombing around the countryside I was actually surprised the wheels still looked pretty darn good. The finish on two other sports cars have been permanently damaged by brake dust, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

I think you were used to your previous Porsche(s) and the similarities among features of other German vehicles, and perhaps didn't evaluate the XKR or your current personal needs carefully enough, or had difficult expectations. So whether you're actually well-suited to driving an XKR will be the outstanding issue even after the warranty ones are resolved. Hopefully you'll feel more positive once that's all done and you're able to finally drive the car with a straight set of tires on it. Since you're the only one with a 2010+ XKR posting on this forum that isn't totally in love with your car I have to think the chances are pretty good!

Bruce

Old 03-20-2012, 08:58 AM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

We'll see what happens after the car goes in next week. I'm not used to my new cars having so many initial warranty issues right out of the box. I'm not the only one who's mentioned issues with the Dunlops here but would hope I just have a bad set. I think some of the problems my car has is because it just sat around for about 7 months in the Florida heat and humidity ie flat spots, sticking brake caliper and now this mysterious two staged squeak from the rear of the car after its turned off; the other issues are not related to the long period of outdoor inactivity I'm sure. My dealership's service dept is very good and the team there is anxiously awaiting my car to resolve these issues. It appears Jaguar did a lot more electronic type updates for the 2012 XF and the 11+ XJ and gave the 12 XK only cosmetic updates (albeit very nice ones) for 12 and saved money on the rest since the car changes for 14.

I still like my car, it's beautiful to look at and performs very well but again, just far too many issues in such a short amount of time. I will not buy another new car that's sat around on the dealer's lot for more than 90 days let alone 7 mos, that's for certain.

Last edited by RJC; 03-20-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC
These cars are kinda quirky comp'd to our former P cars and most every other German car...hope I didn't make a mistake as I've had way too many issues in only 500 miles; now I'm getting a mysterious squeak comning from the rear of the car when I turn it off. WTF!?

you've had more issues & problems in 4 weeks than I've had in 4 years.... hopefully, the dealer will get them all sorted out for you and you'll get 1/2 as much enjoyment as I've had with mine!!!

this is my 4th Jag and far and away the best of them .... I've also had a ton of German cars (5 P-cars, 7 MB's, and more BMW's than I can count) .... and this XKR has been as bullet proof as any of those .....

all that said, I'm watching your saga with great interest as I am just beginning the search for a 'new toy' myself ...

good luck

Old 03-20-2012, 01:58 PM
RJC

Thanks Mike, keep you guys posted.

The new Porsche 991 was on the top of my list before the Jag but no cooled seats (they're only vented) the same held true for the new SL.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

both of those are on my 'short list' ......... had 2 996 Turbos .. probably look at a 4S this time around.......... waiting to see the new style SL .... dealer said they should have one in early April ... didn't realize that the seats were not cooled in the SL ..... the SL's that I had were the previous body style.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:38 PM
RJC

What's car is the 45 referring to?

*edit* sorry stupid smart phone, looked like 5 vs S

Yes that's a great way to go, had a996 then two 997's and the 997 was a big leap forward in quality looks etc, I'd imagine the 991 will be the same increase in quality; car looks fabulous in person

Last edited by RJC; 03-20-2012 at 05:43 PM.